Thanks, guys, for trying to help me - I'm not going to do anything, however,
because that's exactly what I'm afraid of: that my netbook would be
completely unusable after I play around without really knowing what I'm
doing. I'll just have to put up with the inconvenience of not being able to
see or hear certain stuff until I find someone who can help me hands-on, not
just virtually...
But thanks anyway!
Dorothea

Ralph Sims wrote:

I can't help with the how-to (generally with apt-get it's open a terminal
session and then "sudo apt-get update" and then wait for the repositories to
respond and then "sudo apt-get upgrade" or possibily "sudo apt-get
dist-upgrade"), but this might help with the what-is (you might also try the
Synaptic Package Manager which should be accessible from one of the tabs).
Good luck!