Let me see if I can get all the answers here. Sorry for the delayed reply
but I was in San Lucas buying big avocados for $.20 each, strawberries for
$.65/lb, swiss chard for $.13/bunch, ...

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 2:12 AM, ac <a...@main.me> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 11:36:39 -0600
> Phil Hughes <nica...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, I can only answer the what happened to Phil Hughes part. See
> > http://casasderocio.com. Guess you all missed the Linux Journal
> > promotion for a free week at Casa Colonial.
> >
> looks like some missed the fact that you have moved to San Antonio, lol

Well, LJ's ex-ad rep Annie moved to "the other" San Antonio. This is San
Antonio Palopó and I can guarantee the weather is much better. And none of
the people from the U.S. (there are three of us) are from Texas.

> (Casas de Rocío looks cool btw :) but does it have an off grid energy
> system and full IOT powered by foss? and  there is no info about the
> networks, network coverage, bandwidth and other type geek basic
> infrastructure stuff...then, also what interesting long time diseases
> are carried by the average Guatemalan mosquito? malaria, chikungunya
> and other exciting and interesting new life long friends :) )

I am less than thrilled by out Internet connection. I upgraded from a
provider who usually had speed about 0 to one, when it is up is between 2Mb
and 10Mb. And they claim by 15 Jan they will have backup power on
everything. The problem is that where we are there are some links across
the lake terminating in little towns with less than 100% reliable power. I
will probably do my own link from here to a 10Mb or 20Mb DSL link in
Panajachel. DSL in Pana has been amazingly reliable. But, when the Internet
goes down, you have a lake to watch (or swim in).

We are pretty high up so there are few mosquitos here. My only "nasty
disease" story comes from Nicaragua. I friend, in her 30s had lived in
Estelí (low enough for lots of mosquitos) all her life. She moved to
Florida and within a couple of months got dengue. So, if you only want some
bad disease, you don't have to go all the way to Guatemala.

On the other hand, health care in Guatemala is not at all like the US.
http://atitlanlife.com/2014/09/11/sunday-night-at-the-hospital/ offers my
personal experience with it (well, actually for my now daughter).

--
Phil Hughes
P.O. Box 55, Panajachel, Solola 07010 Guatemala