In a word, yes. But I think "we" (the Linux community) got lazy as well.
For example, http://atitlanlife.com/2014/10/11/linux-in-panajachel/ is an
article I wrote about non-geek linux use for a non-geek site. What I wrote
is no biggie and no surprise for people who know they are running linux but
it is the type of thing we need to be saying repeatedly "in the news".

When I first moved to San Antonio PalapĆ³ I had just bought a tiny used Dell
laptop. While it came from the U.S., it came with some software with a
Spanish name -- "vista" as I remember -- which pretty much filled the 16GB
SSD. I put peppermint Linux on it and it is now my test computer for
setting up wireless links and such.

At the time (six months ago) there were thousands of these systems
available cheap. How cheap? 10 for $550. I considered buying 20 of them and
giving them away to school kids. (San Antonio PalopĆ³ is a small indigenous
community. Extra money is not something families have here. (
http://casasderocio.com/geek-info/ gives you some info from the contest we
ran last year and there are other pages there with more info on the town
and more photos.) Even if you could afford a computer, Internet connections
beyond a couple of Internet cafes are few and far between. Untimately I
didn't do the buy because I wasn't ready to be the Linux consultant for all
the kids. Not because it is not fun but because I have too many other
things to get done in the short term at the property.

But, there are a lot of us Linux geeks out here. If we want to promote
Linux, we need to talk about it where non-geeks are reading and buying some
computers for some kids would certainly help.

--
Phil Hughes
P.O. Box 55, Panajachel, Solola 07010 Guatemala