Hi Thorsten,
 - ataflop, atari_scsi, and atafb allocate ST-RAM only at driver
initialization,

Speaking of atafb, with the trimmed-down patch I get garbled video
with BootColorDepth 1, 4 or 8, and no option or video=atafb:vga2
both; using video=atafb:vga4 (with BCD=4) has no output at all.
Patch trimmed down in what respect? No ST-RAM pool allocation at all, or atafb trimmed down?
This is no biggie for me, since the boxen work, but e.g. when
there’s an “mounted n times” fsck, the machine takes ages longer
to get up, and people will think it has frozen, so I’d very much
like to get _some_ kind of fix into at least the second version
of the Debian kernel, once we get past the initial hurdle…
Geert has given me something to think about with the allocate_resource suggestion. If that works at module load time (both ataflop and atari_scsi ought to work as modules) it definitely would be the preferred way.

Cheers,

 Michael