Hi Kars,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 10:17 AM Kars de Jong <jo...@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> Op ma 28 jan. 2019 om 21:32 schreef Michael Schmitz <schmitz...@gmail.com>:
> > How much RAM does your HP have?
>
> It has 64 MB, so no problems there.

But it is located at the end of the 32-bit address space ;-)

Is HP9000/300 the only platform where that is the case?

> > Your NFS root file system is probably of a similar vintage to what I use
> > with only 14 MB. No trouble up to kernel version 4.20. 5.0-rc7 (??) also
> > boots OK, but some recent changes to the VM config appear to cause
> > frequent page allocation failure (the kernel attempts to keep a lot more
> > free pages in reserve than it used to do in 4.20). If you are low on
> > memory, I'd stick with 4.x for now.
>
> I tried several kernels, 4.20, 5.0 and some late 2.6.3x version.
>
> > How far along in the boot do you get?
>
> Not far. Screen goes blank, the leds stay at state 0x55 (set right
> before calling start_kernel()).
>
> But this gave me a feeling of deja-vu...
> (https://marc.info/?l=linux-m68k&m=117175646524933 - it broke after
> introducing discontinuous memory support).
>
> Digging a bit deeper it turns out that the proposed patch from Roman
> (https://marc.info/?l=linux-m68k&m=117184910524555&w=2) that fixed my
> problem never made it into the tree.
> Since then there have been more changes to
> arch/m68k/kernel/mm/motorola.c so that patch probably needs some
> changing (and testing on other platforms).

The first two hunks seem to be some safeguards for cases that cannot
happen (memory size must be a multiple of 256 KiB, IIRC, at least on
'020/030). Oh, you had subtracted two from the real size, to avoid wrap
around. Yes, then the memory size is no longer a multiple of 256 KiB.
There may be other places in the kernel where the '020/'030 assumes a
multiple of 256 KiB, so I'd recommend not doing that.

The remainder is a fix for address wrap around when there is memory located
at the end of the 32-bit address space.
That part looks OK to me, and is still applicable.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- ge...@linux-m68k.org