Hey Hans,

Hans Verkuil wrote:
On Thursday 15 January 2009 06:01:28 CityK wrote:

Hans Verkuil wrote:

OK, I couldn't help myself and went ahead and tested it. It seems
fine, so please test my tree:

http://www.linuxtv.org/hg/~hverkuil/v4l-dvb-saa7134

Let me know if it works.

Hi Hans,

It didn't work.  No analog reception on either RF input.  (as Mauro
noted, DVB is unaffected; it still works).

dmesg output looks right:

tuner-simple 1-0061: creating new instance
tuner-simple 1-0061: type set to 68 (Philips TUV1236D ATSC/NTSC dual
in)

I tried backing out of the modules and then reloading them, but no
change.  (including after fresh build or after rebooting)

Can you give the full dmesg output? Also, is your board suppossed to
have a tda9887 as well?

Hans' changes are not enough to fix the ATSC115 issue.

Ah, OK.

I believe that if you can confirm that the same problem exists, but the
previous workaround continues to work even after Hans' changes, then I
believe that confirms that Hans' changes Do the Right Thing (tm).

ATSC115 is broken not because the tuner type assignment has been removed
from attach_inform.

This is actually a huge problem across all analog drivers now, since we
are no longer able to remove the "tuner" module and modprobe it again --
the second modprobe will not allow for an attach, as there will be no
way for the module to be recognized without having the glue code needed
inside attach_inform...

Huh? Why would you want to rmmod and modprobe tuner? Anyway, drivers that
use v4l2_subdev (like my converted saa7134) will increase the tuner module
usecount, preventing it from being rmmod'ed.

There was a load order dependency in the saa7134 driver. Some users have to remove tuner and modprobe it again in order to make analog tv work. Yes, that's a bug.

The bug got worse when Mauro made changes to attach_inform -- I believe this was for the sake of some xceive tuners... I don't recall the details now.

Anyway, long story short... there are many different bugs all manifesting themselves at once here. Load order dependency -- I don't think we ever understood why that issue exists. The fix for the load order dependency no longer works, as attach_inform no longer cares if a new tuner appears on the bus.

So, my ATSC115 hack-patch restored the attach_inform functionality for the sake of ATSC110/115 users. I am not pushing for its merge -- this *will* break the boards that Mauro was working on when he changed attach_inform.

As I don't really understand what he was going for when he made those changes, I don't know how to fix this problem without creating new bugs on Mauro's cards. I put out that patch in hopes that somebody else would put the pieces together and make a better fix that would work for everybody. That hasn't happened yet :-(

-Mike