On Sun, 1 Mar 2009, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > Even though kmalloc supports higher order allocations now, they can
> > easily fail.
>
> The right approach which most drivers take is to allocate up front when the
> driver is loaded. Zoran should be modified to do the same.

Still, it's a shame to waste the memory when the driver is not in use.
There is a patch that was posted to the mjpeg list that converts the driver
to use the pci dma api.  There is something that _is_ in the kernel called
swiotlb that might serve as a replacement for what bigphys_area did.

> > I tried playback with the driver from last month and it appears to work
> > fine.
>
> Weird. I never could get it to work at all. At best it would just stall
> after 10-20 seconds. The behavior was identical whether I used the driver
> with or without my changes.

I've tested playback with the new driver now and it's working ok for me
too.  I'm using playback to the tv out, not hardware mjpeg to video card
overlay since my videocard doesn't support overlay.