On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, Hans Verkuil wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 June 2009 20:17:53 Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > > Hi Mauro,
> > >
> > > Please pull from http://www.linuxtv.org/hg/~hverkuil/v4l-dvb-subdev2
> > > for the following:
> > >
> > > - v4l2: add new s_config subdev ops and v4l2_i2c_new_subdev_cfg/board
> > > calls - v4l2-device: fix incorrect kernel check
> > > - v4l-compat: add I2C_ADDRS macro.
> > > - v4l2: update framework documentation.
> > > - v4l2-subdev: remove unnecessary check
> >
> > Do I understand this right, that these patches have not been posted to
> > the list?
>
> The idea is that you click on the link and look at the patches through the
> hg web frontend.

And then?

> > At least I haven't found them in online and in my local
> > archives. If it's really so, sorry, this doesn't seem very productive to
> > me... We have discussed this with Mauro on IRC, he didn't agree with me,
> > he thought it was acceptable in many cases... Sorry, cannot agree.
>
> Both methods (a pull request or a patch series) are used and personally I
> have no preference, although currently I have a script that simplifies
> these pull requests so I generally use that. A patch series makes it easier
> to reply with review comments, while I think a pull request reduces
> mailinglist traffic and actually makes it easier to do the actual reviews.

I think, patches posted to the list for reviews with a following pull
request (if no rework needed of course) is the most reviewer-friendly,
which is also what I so far have seen on all other lists I subscribe to
(arm, ppc, usb, scsi, lkml, i2c,...). Have you seen those huge mailing
threads from Greg K-H with all patches in his queue preceding his pull
requests (I hope I reproduce his work flow correctly here, any mistakes
are mine and unintended)?

Are you really saying that it's equally convenient for you to review /
reply to patch on ML and to patch in some repository from a pull request?
Especially when there are multiple patches in that pull and you have to
click through them all, jumping back and forth between your mail client
and a browser?...

If all are so much concerned about the ML traffic (which I don't
understand either, filtering and ignoring uninteresting mails is easy
enough these days), maybe we should split into devel and user? Sorry, I
really don't understand. I'll go ask members of other MLs what they think
about "clicking" through patches...

Thanks
Guennadi
---