On Wed, 10 Jun 2009, hermann pitton wrote:

> on the pull requests is at least nothing new since years.
>
> Previously all patches were on video4linux and the linux-dvb ML and
> dealt with independently as far as possible.
>
> Because of all the hybrid devices that changed, but still someone having
> only analog TV reception likely doesn't want to read all about the
> digital stuff and in the other direction I assume in counts even more.
>
> So far the mercurial pull requests from the more active developers
> worked quite well. Historically seen you would have had a need at some
> point to see _all_ patches on both lists, if you follow the rule _all_
> patches must be on the list(s).
>
> Now, with linux-media, everybody subscribed has the traffic of both of
> the old lists. Means for most people 50% are off topic.
>
> But the really funny thing comes now, we have with you and all the
> others suddenly about 70% of traffic on the list about cams :)
>
> I'm sure that more than 90% of the old v4l and dvb list members are not
> interested in that stuff at all :)

Sure, and that's fine, because I'm not interested in them being not
interested in that stuff at all:-)

Now, how about this idea:

someone writes a script to intercept all hg pull requests from lmml
(procmail rule), forward that mail to a special media-patch list, and
extract and post as replies to that mail all individual patches? And that
list should be configured to only accept mails from that script or replies
to its mails, so, it'd be spam-free. And that list would also be used for
patch discussion. How does this sound?

Thanks
Guennadi
---