Hi Jani,

Am 08.08.2016 um 17:37 schrieb Jani Nikula <jani.nik...@intel.com>:

> Hi Mauro & co -
>
> I just noticed running 'make htmldocs' rebuilds parts of media docs
> every time on repeated runs. This shouldn't happen. Please investigate.
>
> I wonder if it's related to Documentation/media/Makefile... which I have
> to say I am not impressed by. I was really hoping we could build all the
> documentation by standalone sphinx-build invocation too, relying only on
> the conf.py so that e.g. Read the Docs can build the docs. Part of that
> motivation was to keep the build clean in makefiles, and handing the
> dependency tracking completely to Sphinx.
>
> I believe what's in Documentation/media/Makefile,
> Documentation/sphinx/parse-headers.pl, and
> Documentation/sphinx/kernel_include.py could be replaced by a Sphinx
> extension looking at the sources directly.

Yes, parse-headers.pl, kernel_include.py and media/Makefile are needed
for one feature ... not very straight forward.

If it makes sense to migrate the perl scripts functionality to a
Sphinx extension, may I can help ... depends on what Mauro thinks.

BTW: parse-headers.pl is not the only perl script I like to migrate to py ;)

> (I presume kernel_include.py
> is mostly a workaround to keep out-of-tree builds working?)

Yes, e.g. with "make O=/tmp/kernel htmldocs" the parse-headers.pl output goes
to /tmp/kernel and is included by ".. kernel-include: $BUILDDIR/xxx"

-- Markus --