> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Florent NOUVELLON
> <flonouvel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry about that mistake... That was an em28xx-new trick.
>>
>> So my question is simply :
>> Do you know how to disable compiling some drivers on v4l-dvb for faster
>> compiling ?
>
> Well, I typically disable firedtv because of the Ubuntu bug.  I
> wouldn't recommend compiling out drivers to improve compile
> performance (it's just too easy to screw up because of non-obvious
> dependencies).  If you are recompiling regularly, I would suggest
> installing ccache instead.

When I was bisecting a recent defect which required a dozen or so
recompiles + hitting lots of compile failures at each bisect, I just
edited v4l/.myconfig, setting everything to ":= n" except those modules
required by the dvb card I was testing as confirmed by the modules.dep
file.

I expect this method is not foolproof due to the non-obvious dependencies
Devin mentions above, but it worked for me and sped the process up by an
order of magnitude.

HTH

-Rob