On 11/26/2009 08:54 AM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
Jarod Wilson wrote:
On Nov 23, 2009, at 7:53 PM, Andy Walls wrote:

On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 22:11 +0100, Christoph Bartelmus wrote:
I generally don't understand the LIRC aversion I perceive in this thread
(maybe I just have a skewed perception).  Aside for a video card's
default remote setup, the suggestions so far don't strike me as any
simpler for the end user than LIRC -- maybe I'm just used to LIRC.  LIRC
already works for both transmit and receive and has existing support in
applications such as MythTV and mplayer.

There's one gripe I agree with, and that is that its still not plug-n-play.
Something where udev auto-loads a sane default remote config for say,
mceusb transceivers, and the stock mce remote Just Works would be nice,
but auto-config is mostly out the window the second you involve transmitters
and universal remotes anyway.

For several devices, an udev rule that auto-loads a sane default keymap does
work.
Of course, this won't cover 100% of the usages, and I lirc is a very good way
of covering the holes.

But outside of that, I think objections are largely philosophical --
in a nutshell, the kernel has an input layer, remotes are input devices,
and lirc doesn't conform to input layer standards.

Yes. I think this is mainly the issue.

The other issue is how to migrate the existing drivers to a new API without
causing regressions. If we decide that IR's that receive raw pulse/code
should use the raw input interface, this means that a large task force will be
needed to convert the existing drivers to use it.

Aversion to regression is definitely a major concern. And why I'm liking the idea of a hybrid approach, at least initially.

What do you think of adding lirc at staging while we discuss/improve the API's
and lircd
support for the input event interface? Do you think this would work?

Sure, I don't see why not. And I've got another dozen or so drivers to follow those first three... :)

--
Jarod Wilson
ja...@wilsonet.com