Well actually most of those fields you're interested in are already exposed to
userspace
through sysfs /sys/class/dmi/id/

Can't the library just pull them from there?

The one field that isn't exposed is actually the one I think you should key off
of though:
Product SKU number.  So I would propose as part of this change that should
start to get
exposed to userspace too.

The reasoning is I'm a little concerned in taking an approach that goes off of
marketing model number
specifically because it's creating an assumption that all systems with that
model number
have the exact same components.

It's possible for two systems to have the same model number but to second
source for
example.  This might not affect complex cameras, but I just want to make sure
it's taken
into consideration.  At least going off of Product SKU will better narrow it
down.