Em Fri, 22 Jun 2018 06:08:50 +0900
Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+sams...@kernel.org> escreveu:

> Em Thu, 21 Jun 2018 18:58:37 +0000
> <mario.limoncie...@dell.com> escreveu:

Just occurred to me that this is a major difference about how complex
camera hardware detection should happen. On ARM-based devices, the
hardware topology comes from Open Firmware. It uniquely describes how
the board is wired. That reflects the way the media controller exposes
the hardware, as each platform driver reads a set of properties via
of_property_foo() functions.

On "normal" PCI drivers (bttv, cx88, ...), there's a PCI table filled with
PCI vendor IDs and some complex logic with uses that in order to identify
the hardware components and to load the associated drivers.

With IPU3, the device appears as a PCI device. The driver doesn't do
any of_property_foo() call, nor it has a device table with would be used to
identify what sensor is associated to what device.

So, on a quick look there, I was unable to see how it detects what sensors
are connected to an specific hardware instance and how it would load the
associated sensor drivers.

For us to be able to stick with an example, let's assume the Dell Latitude 5285
laptop [1]. What sensors are present on it? What's its PCI ID?

[1] https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg167478.html
    https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-usb/msg163617.html

Jerry/Jian,

Could you please shed a light about how a Dell 5285 hardware would be
detected by the IPU3 driver and what MC graph is created by the current
driver?

Cheers,
Mauro