Hi Mauro,

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:34:28 -0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> Thanks for your acks for patches 1 and 2. I've already applied the patches
> on my tree and at linux-next. I'll try to add the acks on it before sending
> upstream.

If you can't, it's fine. I merely wanted to show my support to Andy's
work, I don't care if I'm not counted as a reviewer for these small
patches.

> Em 05-01-2011 12:45, Jean Delvare escreveu:
> > From a purely technical perspective, changing client->addr in the
> > probe() function is totally prohibited.
>
> Agreed. Btw, there are some other hacks with client->addr abuse on some
> other random places at drivers/media, mostly at the device bridge code,
> used to test if certain devices are present and/or to open some I2C gates
> before doing some init code. People use this approach as it provides a
> fast way to do some things. On several cases, the amount of code for
> doing such hack is very small, when compared to writing a new I2C driver
> just to do some static initialization code. Not sure what would be the
> better approach to fix them.

Hard to tell without seeing the exact code. Ideally,
i2c_new_dummy() would cover these cases: you don't need to write an
actual driver for the device, it's perfectly OK to use the freshly
instantiated i2c_client from the bridge driver directly. Alternatively,
i2c_smbus_xfer() or i2c_transfer() can be used for one-time data
exchange with any slave on the bus as long as you know what you're
doing (i.e. you know that no i2c_client will ever be instantiated for
this slave.)

If you have specific cases you don't know how to solve, please point me
to them and I'll take a look.

--
Jean Delvare