Em 05-01-2011 19:51, Jean Delvare escreveu:
> Hi Mauro,
>
> On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:34:28 -0200, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> Hi Jean,
>>
>> Thanks for your acks for patches 1 and 2. I've already applied the patches
>> on my tree and at linux-next. I'll try to add the acks on it before sending
>> upstream.
>
> If you can't, it's fine. I merely wanted to show my support to Andy's
> work, I don't care if I'm not counted as a reviewer for these small
> patches.

Ok. So, it is probably better to keep it as-is, to avoid rebasing and having
to wait for a couple days at linux-next before sending the git pull request.

>> Em 05-01-2011 12:45, Jean Delvare escreveu:
>>> From a purely technical perspective, changing client->addr in the
>>> probe() function is totally prohibited.
>>
>> Agreed. Btw, there are some other hacks with client->addr abuse on some
>> other random places at drivers/media, mostly at the device bridge code,
>> used to test if certain devices are present and/or to open some I2C gates
>> before doing some init code. People use this approach as it provides a
>> fast way to do some things. On several cases, the amount of code for
>> doing such hack is very small, when compared to writing a new I2C driver
>> just to do some static initialization code. Not sure what would be the
>> better approach to fix them.
>
> Hard to tell without seeing the exact code. Ideally,
> i2c_new_dummy() would cover these cases: you don't need to write an
> actual driver for the device, it's perfectly OK to use the freshly
> instantiated i2c_client from the bridge driver directly. Alternatively,
> i2c_smbus_xfer() or i2c_transfer() can be used for one-time data
> exchange with any slave on the bus as long as you know what you're
> doing (i.e. you know that no i2c_client will ever be instantiated for
> this slave.)
>
> If you have specific cases you don't know how to solve, please point me
> to them and I'll take a look.

You can take a look at saa7134-cards.c, for example. saa7134_tuner_setup()
has several examples. It starts with this one:

        switch (dev->board) {
        case SAA7134_BOARD_BMK_MPEX_NOTUNER:
        case SAA7134_BOARD_BMK_MPEX_TUNER:
                /* Checks if the device has a tuner at 0x60 addr
                   If the device doesn't have a tuner, TUNER_ABSENT
                   will be used at tuner_type, avoiding loading tuner
                   without needing it
                 */
                dev->i2c_client.addr = 0x60;
                board = (i2c_master_recv(&dev->i2c_client, &buf, 0) < 0)
                        ? SAA7134_BOARD_BMK_MPEX_NOTUNER
                        : SAA7134_BOARD_BMK_MPEX_TUNER;

In this specific case, it is simply a probe for a device at address 0x60, but
there are more complex cases there, with eeprom reads and/or some random init
that happens before actually attaching some driver at the i2c address.
It is known to work, but it sounds like a hack.

Cheers,
Mauro