From: fernando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: editing LILO?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:35:16 +0500

edit /etc/lilo.conf
change what you want (you can man lilo.conf to get more information)
run "lilo" to write the information into the MBR

walt wrote:

> Here's a simple question; how can I edit LILO so that I have more time
> to hit TAB then type in my selection? Can it be edited to wait
> indefinately?All help appreciated!..walt

This are my personal opinions
Real email: sanabriaf at yahoo dot com

------------------------------

From: "William F. O'Shea jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FEED Issue on OSS
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:51:41 -0500

FEED Magazine is featuring a special issue on Free Software and Open
Source. It includes a dialog with Richard Stallman, head of the Free
Software Foundation and MacArthur grant winner; Eric Raymond, author of
"The Cathedral and the Bazaar" and The New Hacker's Dictionary and
proponent of "open source"; and Eric Allman, president of Sendmail, Inc.
The rest of the issue will be unvelied all through next week.  It will
include interviews with the creator of GNOME and Perl creator Larry
Wall, an article on free software's evolutionary claims, and a history
of the free software movement.

Check it out: http://www.feedmag.com

------------------------------

From: "Steve Cyr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Advice for Microsoft-haters
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:39:56 -0800

James Ewing wrote in message ...

>I love these off-topic threads! Makes linux.misc much more entertaining.
>
>On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Io wrote:
>
>> > the
>> > biggest hurdle in the Manhattan Project was likely just figuring out
how
>> > to 1) isolate the pure form of uranium needed, and 2) figiuring out how
>> > to design an enclosure to facilitate said slamming of pieces together).
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > Paul Doherty
>>

>> It was my understanding the largest issue was the design of the shaped
>> charges and the critical nature of getting them to detonate at the exact
>> same time to "crunch" the uranium to critical mass.
>>

>The Manhattan project made two kinds of bombs - a Uranium bomb (Fat
>Man) and a Plutonium bomb (Little Boy). Evidently a Uranium bomb is easier
>to detonate than a Plutonium bomb because it reaches critical mass more
>easily (physists are welcome to flame me on this point!).
>
>The Fat Man U235 bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima was described by one
>author as 'a stove pipe with a Uranium plug aimed toward a lump of Uranium
>in a stove belly' (paraphrased). The Plutonium bomb, which Nagasaki
>received, required precise timed detonation of lense shaped charges around
>a spherical Plutonium mass.
>
>There is much speculation as to why the US needed to drop two bombs when
>one should have sufficed. My opinion is that they wanted to test the
>Plutonium bomb. The one live test in New Mexico was of a Uranum 235 bomb
>and I think the politicians and scientists were curious if the Plutonium
>bomb would work. It answered their questions, but was a bit rough on the
>poor residents of Nagasaki...

The justification I heard for the second detonation at Nagasaki was that
the US felt is was necessary to demostrate that they really were capable
of building more than one of these things.  But the Nagasaki bomb was the
last one they had--it would take months to make any more, because the
processes for making the U235 & Plutonium were so slow.

If only one was needed, why didn't Japan surrender after the first one at
Hiroshima?  An argument could be made that they needed a little more
persuading.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: XFSTT & emacs: No fonts match...
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:28:03 GMT

I've recently installed the true type fontserver xfstt (09.10),
and it works; eg.,

xterm -fn "-*-courier new-bold-r-normal-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1"

opens correctly with the specified font. Other applications
like Netscape Navigator work too. Also xlsfons and xfontsel
list the true type fonts correctly.

But I cannot make emacs (GNU emacs 20.3.1) to use the true type
fonts! e.g.

emacs  -fn "-*-courier new-bold-r-normal-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1"

yields "No fonts match  '-*-courier new-...'"
I also tried to use the  resource emacs.font: in the .Xdefaults file
without success.

I hope that anybody can tell me, what I'm doing wrong.

-Hans

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: KDE is a Memory Hog.
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 18:40:17 +0000

It was the Tue, 09 Feb 1999 15:31:32 GMT...
..and Marco Anglesio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Feb 1999 14:27:24 GMT, Chad M. Townsend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Ya, but KDE is cool.  Memory is cheap.
>
> That's a sort of lazy attitude towards coding. If you can code something
> fast and lean, why wouldn't you code it fast and lean?

Ease of maintenance.
Elegance.
Style.

mawa
--
Every woman and every man should at least try to keep in mind through
their whole life just how incredibly bad one is able to feel during

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SiS 530 Graphics Chip, no hair
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:48:14 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Rob O'Connell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> try the suse X stuff - at
> www.suse.com
> it has an x server for SiS chips that works
>
> have fun
> Rob
>
> --
> Rob O'Connell - "Work is the curse of the drinking class" - Oscar Wilde
> lab#: (608) 2659467 mob#: (608) 3473838 home#: (608) 2519918
> Work address: Plasma Physics, 1150 University Ave., Madison WI 53706
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://aida.physics.wisc.edu/~oconnell

  Thanks Rob;

  I have learned a thing or two about the sis chips in the last few days.
The sis 530 integrated chipset uses a video subsystem chip #'rd 6306 which is
functionally the same as the 6326 graphics chip installed on pci video cards.
However, the 6306 is not supported in the latest x server build, but the 6326
is, so I am going to download the source for the 3.3.3.1.5 build from suse
and grep the 6306 into it and tell the server to handle it as it would the
6326.  I understand that this will enable the server to talk to the chip.

  I appreciate your response, I was losing muy rapido

                                 John Pierce

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Bourne)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.announce,linux.admin.isp
Subject: sendmail-rhcn-8.9.3-1 RPM and SRPM for Red Hat 5.1 and 5.2
Date: 10 Feb 1999 17:01:14 GMT

We have posted the i386.rpm, src.rpm, and patches on our WWW site at
http://www.affinity-systems.ab.ca/software/ for sendmail-8.9.3-1.  These
should work on Red Hat 5.0, 5.1, and 5.2 but were compiled under a relatively
stock Red Hat 5.2 system and Kernel 2.2.1.

Please send bug reports to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Here is information on the package:
bash# rpm -qi sendmail-rhcn
Name        : sendmail-rhcn            Distribution: Red Hat Contrib|Net
Version     : 8.9.3                    Vendor: Affinity Systems Inc.
Release     : 1                        Build Date: Wed Feb 10 09:12:59 1999
Install date: Wed Feb 10 09:17:10 1999 Build Host: cafe.affinity-systems.ab.ca
Group       : Daemons                  Source RPM: sendmail-rhcn-8.9.3-1.src.rpm
Size        : 2269112                  License: BSD
Packager    : Red Hat Contrib|Net <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
URL         : http://www.sendmail.org/
Summary     : sendmail mail transport agent
Description :
Sendmail is a Mail Transport Agent, which is the program
that moves mail from one machine to another.  Sendmail implements a
general internetwork mail routing facility, featuring aliasing and
forwarding, automatic routing to network gateways, and flexible
configuration.

If you need the ability to send and receive mail via the internet
you'll need sendmail.

cafe:bash# rpm -q --changelog sendmail-rhcn
* Wed Feb 10 1999 James Bourne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

- updated to sendmail 8.9.3
- updated sendmail.cf and asi-redhat.mc to use newer m4 files

* Tue Jan 12 1999 James Bourne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

- added Obsoletes line to .spec header
- changed install to make files install as none root user if root doesn't do
the build (for SRPM), and added attr flags to files section for rhcn

* Thu Jan 07 1999 James Bourne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

- backed out the apache accept patch as accept is handled differently and
(according to the release info) this should fix the DOS attack resulting for
sendmail sleeping for 5 seconds after a bad accept.  This release includes
the patch for mime buffer overflows as well.  If it still causes problems
due to the accept handling we will merge the apache accept patch back in.

- changed install script of spec file to create /var/spool/mqueue and
.hoststat with mail ownerships and mode 700.  This is wanted and needed if
people set the RunAsUser in sendmail.cf to the default mail user (mail
8:12) which is much safer then running sendmail as user root.  This should
help with certain security concerns.

- modified the default sendmail.cf to set RunAsUser to mail.  Change this if
needed to a different UID.  Also changed DefaultUser to an equal number, now
it is 8:12 (these are redhat 5.1 default uid/gid for user mail).

- dropped MaxDaemonChildren down to 40 in the default sendmail.cf.  This
should help wee ppp sites like ours as they may not be able to handle 80
children that easily...  Bump this value up in the file
/usr/doc/sendmail-8.X.X/cf/cf/asi-redhat.mc and remake with M4 to change it.

- mail spool directory (/var/spool/mail) changed to root.root mode 1777.
This is for local delivery with procmail, and mail pickup with some pop
servers such as cucipop.  In these cases, the spool file is locked, copied
to a lock file (for pop), and then read etc all the while running as that
user instead of a privledged account.  Mail boxes can then be kept mode 600.

- changed ownership of /etc/aliases to be mail mode 644 as to do
AutoRebuilds this file must be writable by the sendmail daemon running as
user mail.

- tightened permissions on suid files /usr/libexec/mail.local and
/usr/sbin/sendmail to 4511

* Tue Jan 05 1999 James Bourne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

- Updated to sendmail-8.9.2 and rebuilt RPM.

* Mon Nov 16 1998 James Bourne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

- Applied sendmail-8.9.1a patch which fixes mime buffer overflows in some
        mail clients

Regards,
Jim

--
James Bourne                  | Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Affinity Systems Inc.         | WWW: http://www.affinity-systems.ab.ca

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cobalt and linux
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:19:45 -0500

AME wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a cobalt box running Linux.  However when I type commands like man
> or gcc , the system says"command not found".  Does this mean there
> programs ae not installed?  How do I know what programs are installed and
> what commands I can run?  Where do I install such programs such that I can
> access them from every directory just like the case witl ls and cd
> commands?
>
> Thanks
> Ayman Elsaedi

echo $PATH

/usr/bin/find / -name man

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:$HOME/bin:/my/personal/bin/directory

updatedb &

locate .gif
locate gcc

-Ben.

------------------------------

From: James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NT Convert needs security help!
Date: 10 Feb 1999 23:47:34 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Home / User 1
> Home / User 1 / html
> Home / User 1 / cgi-bin
> Home / User 2
> Home / User 2 / html
> Home / User 2 / cgi-bin
> Home / User 3
> Home / User 3 / html
> Home / User 3 / cgi-bin
>
> .... etc ...
>
> We are defining users OK, giving them their own group (by default)
> and pointing their "starting" directory to, for example,
> HOME/USER3/HTML.  This is working fine.  Each user can FTP in to
> their HTML directory (this is set in the user profile).  However, we
> write proprietary scripts & don't want them to access either the
> cgi-bin or other client's sites.  Basically, we can't let them click
> on a "directory up" link in FTP allowing them out of their directory
> or a "change directory" option that lets them go somewhere else on
> the server.

For the particular case of Web serving, this is tricky since the web
server (which runs as "nobody") has to be able to read and execute
those CGI scripts.

I would suggest that you set up each user so that the FTP daemon
chroot()s into their $HOME/html directory.  That way they will not be
able to see anything else AT ALL.

I don't know offhand how to make the FTP server do this, but it will
require you to make a $HOME/html/lib $HOME/html/bin directories so
that the chroot()ed server can run /bin/ls.  So you'd have to make
sure the webserver ignored those extra directories.

I think that you would be better off separating the proprietary
CGI-BIN scripts into a spearate directory tree instead, though.

--
ACTUALLY reachable as @free-lunch.demon.(whitehouse)co.uk:james+usenet

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: Display issue on a Linux workstation
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:00:02 GMT

Ilya ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:
: I finally dumped proprietory Unix hardware and joined the Linux world!
:
: I just got my Linux workstation with Linux pre-installed.
:
: The display has kind of running lines on it, a little bit, hardly
: noticeable but more so on a white background. Is there anything I can do to
: resolve it? I think it has something to do with the refresh rate and
: frequency.  Do I need to run some kind of a configuration program?

What you need to do is to post more information about your problem.

However, I can take a guess at your problem.

Is the monitor a Sony Trinitron monitor, or such a monitor with someone else's
name on it?  If so, then are the 2 lines you refer to are horizontal, about
1/3 the distance from the top and the bottom of the screen?  If so, then they
are normal.  They are actually thin wires inside the monitor, and are used to
help hold parts of the monitor in place.  They are noticeable on a white
background, since the lines you see are shadows of the wires.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: "Sean Hayden" <shaden@.nospam.mediaone.net>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Space Station uses 95/NT, disaster imminent (no joke)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:14:26 -0600

Jay O'Brien wrote in message <36c0e930.8649805@news>...
>Yeah, you think this is all a joke.  However, a little over a year ago
>a crewman on the guided missile cruiser USS Yorktown made the
>unfortunate mistake of entering a zero for a denominator in a division
>equation(something to do with calibtrating a fuel pump) on the NT
>system that controlled the entire ship.  The result of asking the
>system to divide by zero?  The boat sat dead in the water for a number
>of hours.
>
>If you have the resources, check the article out.  8/27/1998 Wall
>Street Journal, Marketplace Section.

You're smoking crack, I don't advocate MShaft products, (I'm only replying
to this because I'm too lazy to go to the next chair and use my Linux box)
But:  The concept that the Navy or NASA is so dependent on one system is
completely and utterly stupid.  This is called not checking the facts.  As a
matter of fact, for certain non-critical functions have been run by OTS
hardware running OTS software in the Navy.  This is no secret.  But the
Yorktown
    1) is a "Smart" ship.  This does not mean the ship steers itself, this
does not mean computers have complete and overriding control of her engines.
    And 2) referring to 1, there is no such thing as the military building a
ship that is completely dependent on one system...  They are anal enough to
build triple redundancies into the critical systems.  Trust me on that
point.

    If I recall right, the Yorktown was DIW because the contractors wanted
to investigate what went wrong with the MONITORING systems.  That's all.  NT
was simply playing the role of an advanced dial in this circumstance.

    Anyways, the point being is that the Yorktown is a lame argument as a
for/against NT/Linux.

------------------------------

From: Steven Blair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.terminals,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.unix.sco.programmer,comp.sys.hp.hpux
Subject: Re: Terminals (sources of used terminals)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 12:21:14 -0800

Steve Wertz wrote:

> What I'd *really* like is some way to use a Wyse or Link keyboard on
> my PC's.  Good keyboards are impossible to find anymore, wyse
> and link keyboards are everywhere though.  Anybody know how to do
> it?  It generates scan-codes I beleive...  I contacted Wyse and they
> said it was "impossible".

Steve,

Try looking at this URL. I have one and it is as good as my old Northgate
Omnikey.

http://www.monu-cad.com/keyboard.htm

Steve

------------------------------

From: Tim Laursen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: compile redhat 5.2
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:53:41 +0100

Jon Gunnar Rue wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 23:05:49 +0100, conrad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >When I type "make config", it says that it doesn't know the "config" bash...
> >But why ??
>
> It would have been much easier if you had told us what you are trying to do.
> Make config. Are you trying to recompile the kernel ? In that case you will
> have to be root, and
> cd /usr/src/linux

Not to forget that you should also remember to have a kernel there. If
not, you should install the proper rpm.

By the way, "make xconfig" or "make menuconfig" is a lot more user
friendly than the plain "make config".

Actually I shouldn't be writing this reply, because this is obviously an
RTFM case. To conrad, and all other newbies out there: If you want to be
taken seriously and have your questions answered, you stand a lot better
chance, if you first try with all means to work out the answer for
yourself first, and when that doesn't give you any clues, try to
describe your problem as detailed as possible.

--

  (\        Best regards,        /)
-||||8-          Tim          -8||||-

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can Linux share modem with Windows?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:48:56 -0500

nonet@chain wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I have Linux, but my LAN pals have Windows.  They won't change.
> To convince them, I'd like to let them share my modem through
> Linux, something Windows can't do.
>
>   Can this be done?  Suggestions?  Starters?
>
> Thanks

Well it can be done in Windows.
You can do it in Linux.
Read the PPP-HOWTO, or get the dial-ip package and
read the documentation for it.

There is also a new program that dials up the connection
automatically if the machine with the modem receives a
packet headed to the internet, but I don't remember what
it is called.  I think "masq-dialler"?

-Ben.

------------------------------

From: Lars Weber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Linux X on Artist Eton Pro notebook w/ATI chipset??
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:53:24 +0100

hi, i've been trying for quite a while to get Xfree 3.3.3 running on an
Artist notebook by Maxdata, model Eton Pro.
the chipset is an 4MB ATI Rage LT Pro AGP 2x, which is said to be
supported but it won't work properly with the tft display.
distribution is S.u.S.E. 6.0 German version. Xfree 3.3.3, like i said.
i had trouble like that with another Artist notebook from the Bristol
series before and i got to get it working but this one is driving me
nuts.
so if anyone has experience with or at least a hint for that notebook,
chipset, whatever could be of any help, please let me know....

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Terminal Emulators. . .
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:56:37 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Norvell Spearman  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a Linux server running an accounting program called OSAS (Open Systems
>Accounting Software).  I need a good terminal emulation program for
>Windoze95/98 machines so they can telnet into the Linux server and run that
>program, retaining colors, keybindings, et cetera.

A commercial solution would be Kermit 95, which is available from
Columbia University.  Use the scoansi term emulation-- you'll have to
create your own keymap (e-mail me for these if you need to go this route).

There is a GPLed Kermit workalike (telnet only) at:

   http://www.musc.edu/~brannanp/telnet/index.html

which works well once you tweak the supplied linux key settings.

Good luck!
Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: Graffiti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: hacked login
Date: 11 Feb 1999 04:49:27 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rafael Marcus  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Someone probably hacked the login program in  my Linux system and it
>doesn't record te remote host address for a remote telnet login in the
>"wtmp" file. I recompiled the login program but the problem persists.
>Any idea what else I should check to solve the problem.
>                                   Thanks
>                                    Rafael.

Never, ever, ever, *ever* continue to use a compromised system if you can help it.
Re-install.
No, I'm serious.
You never know what *else* was compromised. libc? syslogd? cc? ftp?
You might try to grab an update to replace binaries that you *think* are
compromised, but that's completely useless if, say, ftp was compromised to grab
a trojan'd binary.  Unlikely, yes. Impossible?  No.
Re-install.
And when you do, pick different/new passwords for *all* your accounts.

-- DN