From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux & Netscape based Info. Kiosk?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:08:48 -0500

Dale Coleman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm interested in trying to setup a Linux and Netscape based information
> Kiosk for use in a sport retail store.
> What I have in mind is a low cost system that would be used by customers
> to enter personal data into a form as well as a display for other information.
>
> Something along the lines of a frame based .html local web site with a
> cgi script to collect the customer data.
>
> My concerns center around setting up X and Netscape to  allow access
> only to the local site and not the rest of the HD.
>
> I would think it would be best to lock X and Netscape so somebody can't
> exit X or Netscape or use Netscape to access anything other than the
> local site.
>
> Does anybody know of links or other people that have done this?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> --
> Dale Coleman
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.gate.net/~kf4sir

Well, it isn't hard.  First set up the boxes with just enough software
to run X and your version of standalone Netscape. (standalone means no
Mail/News!) Edit /etc/lilo.conf for the booting HD MBR and set the
timeout to 1. Rerun LILO, this makes the box boot straight to the
default init level without giving a user at the console the chance to
override it to another run level.

Then edit the inetd.conf file and remove everything except telnet, but
move the telnet port to a strange place and tcp wrap telnet
to restrict incomming connections to your Office systems.  Edit rc.local
and make sure it isn't creating issue or issue.net on boot.  Remove all
lines from issue files so that if someone is port-scanning the box they
see nothing but a prompt.

Remove everything from the SysVinit that isn't needed to run X and
Netscape.

Make sure that you have a floppy boot disk that will allow you to boot
the box with a LILO prompt so that you can get into single user mode
if you need too. Get a floppy lock. (metal plate with a lock bar
and a key) Lock up the CD too.  I saw one place where they bought a
few HASPS at a hardware store and bolted them to the back of the case
and over the front where the CD and the floppy were.  Then they but
padlocks on the HASPS.  This also allowed them to chain the case to
the desk, and to set the BIOS passwords and kept kids from opening
the case to set the BIOS password dip switches or jumpers.

Now, copy the inittab file to a backup. Edit the inittab file and
remove all getty's and place a new line for the default runlevel
that calls a simple script with the restart option.

The script is owned by a user you added to the system.
This user belongs to no groups but one that you added to the system.
(in other words this user has NO WRITE PERMISSIONS TO ANYTHING OTHER
THAN IT'S OWN USER DIR)(THIS USER DIR SHOULD BE IN A PARTITION LIKE
/home THAT HAS NOTHING ELSE IN IT).

After you set up the account, set the UID's shell in the password file
to /bin/false, and lock the password.

Create an executable script SUID by this user.  This script only calls

#!/bin/sh
while :
do
netscape -display localhost:0 -geometry 1024x768
done

Replace the geometry with whatever your X has.

Edit the XF86Config file and remove the <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Backspace>
trap.

Setup Netscape with special attention to the applications preferences
you don't want the user being able to start any telnet sessions
or Xterms or any netscape helper apps that allow commands to be entered.

After you have set up the netscape preferences chmod the
.netscape/prefere*  file to 444 and chown it to root.root

Now reboot the box.

It is secure.  No listening ports on the network 'cept telnet
(which is tcp-wrapped).  The box comes up with no chance for a user
to change the boot process. It just starts X (which will restart if it
dies) and starts netscape maximized (which will restart if it dies).
There is no menu in X for any other APPS, and if you write protect the
netscape configuration files

You can telnet into the box to reboot or start an Xterm if you want.

Or you could boot from your LILO floppy and set the box into single user
mode.

-Ben.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank da Cruz)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.questions,comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Subject: Re: Errors compiling kermit 6.0.192 on Linux 2.2.1
Date: 13 Feb 1999 19:26:02 GMT

In article <36c5d104.0@calwebnnrp>, Ilya  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In comp.os.linux.misc Frank da Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: > : ...
: > : make: *** [linux] Error 2
: > :
: > : Any ideas?
: > :
: > This is our most frequently asked question in recent weeks.  Answer: Linux
: > has changed significantly since C-Kermit 6.0 was released.  Of course we
: > have adapted, but this requires you try a newer version of C-Kermit:
:
: >   http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ck70.html
:
: Thank you. kermit 7.0 compiled fine. Why is the binary called wermit?
:
So in case you already had a "kermit" binary, it won't write over it.

- Frank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank McKenney)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Why is X video setup for i386 so complicated?
Date: 14 Feb 1999 19:14:52 GMT

I'm fairly new to Linux, so I've only been through the pain and anguish
of X video setup three times so far, all with SuSe's SaX utility.  What
I've been through seems unnecessarily complicated compared to what is
required to install DOS, OS/2, or MSWinXX on the same hardware.

I've seen a number of postings from other users who have encountered
similar problems, so apparently I'm not the only one who's had
difficulty with this process.

My test/development machine (AMD 486DX4-100, 32Mb RAM, Cirrus 5434 ISA
video) has MSWin95, Warp 4, Warp Server 5, and SuSE 5.3 installed on it.
The first three of these were able to autodetect the video hardware
correctly at installation, but after several days of trying to make the
Linux X SVGA server work correctly SaX and xvidtune) I've still been
unable to come up with settings that produce an X desktop which is (a)
reasonably large, (b) single (not multiple), (c) centered, and (d)
doesn't show retrace jam-up on the trailing edge of the display area.

Why is this process so difficult?

DOS programs which use better-than-VGA modes (e.g. FractInt) seem to
able to display a nice, clean screen without having to know what the
monitor's HSync and VSync and the adapter's dot clock values, and
MSWinXX and OS/2 seem to be able to set up theis video support
correctly.  OS/2 for example, uses a DOS program named SVGA.EXE to
create a control file with information about the various available video
modes.  A sample of this file for my adapter is appended for those
interested in such things.

At the same time, given the complexity of Linux, I have to believe that
those involved in maintaining and extending it have a fair degree of
technical expertise.  It's hard for me to believe that the video setup
portion of Linux would be any more complicated than its developers felt
was necessary.

So, my question:  what is it about Linux installation and/or operation
that forces users to go through a complex and (from my experience)
highly error-prone process to accomplish what is being done elsewhere
much more easily?  Why is it that those approaches which work for
MSWinXX and OS/2 can't be re-implemented under i386 Linux?

Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates / OS2BBS OS/2 Advisor
Richmond, Virginia   (804) 320-4887
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED] / TalkLink: WZ01123
<< Please clip this from any reply postings. Thank you >>
---snipped from SVGADATA.PMI---
[comment]
        Graphics Mode: 640 x 480 x 256 colors.

[ModeInfo]
        ModeAttributes   = 0x18
        BytesPerScanLine = 80
        XResolution      = 640
        YResolution      = 480
        TextRows         = 30
        BitsPerPixel     = 8
        NumberOfPlanes   = 1
        PageLength       = 307200
        SaveSize         = 307200
        TotalMemory      = 2097152
        InterlaceMode    = 1
        BufferAddress    = 0x000a0000
        ApertureSize     = 0x00010000
        Int10ModeSet     = 0x101
        Colors           = 256

[MonitorModeInfo]
        VerticalRefresh         = 75

[MonitorModeInfo]
        VerticalRefresh         = 72

[MonitorModeInfo]
        VerticalRefresh         = 60

[SetBank]
SetBankLinear;

[GetBank]
GetBankLinear;

[SetMode]

/*
 *      Set Miscellaneous Output Register
 */

outb(0x3c2, 0xe3);
/*
 *      Set Sequencer Registers
 */

r0   = 0x00; r1   = 0x01; r2   = 0x0f; r3   = 0x00; r4   = 0x0e;
r5   = 0x00; r6   = 0x12; r7   = 0x01; r8   = 0x00; r9   = 0x44;
r10  = 0x30; r11  = 0x4a; r12  = 0x5b; r13  = 0x42; r14  = 0x7e;
r15  = 0xbd; r16  = 0x00; r17  = 0x00; r18  = 0x00; r19  = 0x00;
r20  = 0x08; r21  = 0x03; r22  = 0xe8; r23  = 0x21; r24  = 0x00;
r25  = 0x01; r26  = 0x00; r27  = 0x2b; r28  = 0x2f; r29  = 0x1f;
r30  = 0x33; r31  = 0x1c;
boutb(32, 0x00, 0x3c4, 0x3c5);

outw(0x3c4, 0x0300);
/*
 *      Set CRT Registers
 */

outb(0x3d4, 0x11);
outb(0x3d5, 0x0e);
r0   = 0x5f; r1   = 0x4f; r2   = 0x50; r3   = 0x82; r4   = 0x54;
r5   = 0x80; r6   = 0x0b; r7   = 0x3e; r8   = 0x00; r9   = 0x40;
r10  = 0x00; r11  = 0x00; r12  = 0x00; r13  = 0x00; r14  = 0x00;
r15  = 0x00; r16  = 0xea; r17  = 0xac; r18  = 0xdf; r19  = 0x50;
r20  = 0x00; r21  = 0xe7; r22  = 0x04; r23  = 0xe3; r24  = 0xff;
r25  = 0x00; r26  = 0x00; r27  = 0x22; r28  = 0x23; r29  = 0x00;
r30  = 0x00; r31  = 0x20; r32  = 0x1f; r33  = 0x1e; r34  = 0x07;
r35  = 0x00; r36  = 0x00; r37  = 0x47; r38  = 0x20; r39  = 0xa0;
boutb(40, 0x00, 0x3d4, 0x3d5);

/*
 *      Set Attribute Registers
 */

r0   = 0x00; r1   = 0x01; r2   = 0x02; r3   = 0x03; r4   = 0x04;
r5   = 0x05; r6   = 0x06; r7   = 0x07; r8   = 0x08; r9   = 0x09;
r10  = 0x0a; r11  = 0x0b; r12  = 0x0c; r13  = 0x0d; r14  = 0x0e;
r15  = 0x0f; r16  = 0x41; r17  = 0x00; r18  = 0x0f; r19  = 0x00;
r20  = 0x00;
boutb(21, 0x00, 0x3c0, 0x3c1);

/*
 *      Set GDC Registers
 */

r0   = 0x00; r1   = 0x00; r2   = 0x00; r3   = 0x00; r4   = 0x00;
r5   = 0x40; r6   = 0x05; r7   = 0x0f; r8   = 0xff; r9   = 0x00;
r10  = 0x00; r11  = 0x00; r12  = 0xff; r13  = 0x00; r14  = 0x00;
r15  = 0x00; r16  = 0xff; r17  = 0x03; r18  = 0x00; r19  = 0x00;
r20  = 0x00; r21  = 0x04;
boutb(22, 0x00, 0x3ce, 0x3cf);

r32  = 0xff; r33  = 0x03; r34  = 0x00; r35  = 0x00; r36  = 0x00;
r37  = 0x04; r38  = 0x18; r39  = 0x00; r40  = 0x00; r41  = 0xfc;
r42  = 0x1f; r43  = 0x00; r44  = 0x94; r45  = 0x27; r46  = 0x0c;
r47  = 0x80; r48  = 0x00; r49  = 0x00; r50  = 0x00; r51  = 0x00;
boutb(20, 0x20, 0x3ce, 0x3cf);

/*
 *      Set DAC Registers
 */

r0   =   0x00000000;
ProgramDAC;
call pfnPMISetMonitorTimings;
inb(r0, 0x3da);
outb(0x3c0, 0x20);
===============================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kim G. S. OEyhus)
Crossposted-To: sci.math
Subject: Need numbercruncher advice
Date: 14 Feb 1999 20:18:06 GMT

My computing needs has changed to heavy number crunching,
which my current computers are unsuited for.

I need lots of floating point performance, for little money.
Perhaps I will just buy a processor and a motherboard, and
cannibalize my existing equipment.

I would like some advice on what to buy.
Alpha? 2 upclocked celerons? Pentium 3?

Kim0

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux & VPN
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:10:50 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Looking at options for building a VPN.  With MS I can use NT, Proxy
> Server and PPTP.  What options do I have if I go the Linux route.
>
> TIA
>
> steve

There is a mini HOWTO for VPN for Linux.

Basically you use SSH to set up an encrypted pty between two
boxes.  Then you run ppp over that SSH pty.
Then you set up your routes.
Done.

------------------------------

From: Jim Esparza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Can NT with NTFS coexist with RedHat Linux
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:29:09 GMT

Have been reading quite a few of the HOWTO's lately trying to get
Redhat 5.2 installed on my machine.  According to the Linux+NT-Loader
document, standard Linux can't access NTFS.  BUT, to quote the document:

"An alpha driver that can read NTFS-Partitions is available at

    http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~loewis/ntfs"

hope that helps ...

Jim
(Know a lot about Linux from reading the HOWTO's, but can't seem
 to get the damn thing configured the way I want :(  )

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: minicom disconnects
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:04:10 -0500

Hugh wrote:

> I dial into my ISP and minicom connects: (displays "Connect 19200"). Then it
> does nothing for a few seconds and then disconnects. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Hugh

Read the /var/log/messages file and see what is there.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Strong)
Subject: Re: Is Linux better than DOS/Win3.1 on 486?
Date: 8 Feb 1999 15:38:25 GMT

Jeremy Nickolet ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Bill Wooten wrote:

: > I'm trying to re-built the software on the following machine: AST
: > 486/33DX/8MB-Ram/250MB Hard drive.  The main use of this machine will
: > be e-mail.  Some games would be nice, but I'm not holding out for
: > that.  Before the box got hosed, I was running DOS with Windows 3.1
: > due to lack of hard drive/memory.  So assuming a budget of $0.00 would
: > Linux be a better solution?  Would the system run better, possibly
: > even faster?  I don't know a whole lot about Linux so any insight
: > would be great.
: > Thanks!

: It would be fine for any console based programs, but if you wanted to run
: X then 8 MB won't be enough RAM for a GUI environment.  I'd really
: recommend at least 32 MB of RAM for that.  Pine is a nice and easy to use
: console email program that will work great on your machine, and you can
: use lynx for text only web surfing.  If you're fine with just a console
: based system, then have a look at some of the minimal Linux distributions
: which are only a few floppies, and they will include nearly everything
: you need.  Or, go for Slackware's ZipSlack.  It's a 35 MB download, but
: you install it to a DOS partion by simply unzipping the zip file,
: editting a bat file to tell ZipSlack where you put it, and your done.  It
: comes with more software and some easy to use GUI (primitive but useful)
: tools for setting up networking and installing other software packages.
: ZipSlack might be what you're looking for.

: http://members.home.com/nickoljt/getLinux.html

: good luck,
: Jeremy

I'm running Slack on a 486/66 with 16 meg ram on native ext2 partition
and it gives me excellent performance even with X going.  Just don't
forget to give yourself a good size swap file.  It gives better
performance than win95 (for example, it never crashes no matter how many
apps I have open, and I've had wp8, ns4.*, multiple xterms, ppp, tkdesk
open on different virtual desktops at the same time).  Sure, everything
runs faster on my P200, but a full linux installon my 486 gives me
nothing to complain about (although it _would_ be better with more ram).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Strong)
Subject: Re: command line ftp to download files plus sub directories?
Date: 8 Feb 1999 15:40:08 GMT

Stan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: stephen wrote:
: >
: > Hello:
: >
: > Is there a ftp command to download multiple
: > files plus sub directories? As in fetch an entire
: > directory structure and it's contents.

: GetWeb latest version if called as cpRFtp will do dat.

: 221 C-Ya!

The original poster asked two different questions.  Ncftp will definitely
do the latter (get -R dirname) but I've never tried the former.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Strong)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: From RedHat to Slackware
Date: 10 Feb 1999 15:58:28 GMT

White Home ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I recently installed RedHat but am wanting to give Slackware a shot.
: The machine I have can read a CD while running the RedHat.  I also have
: access to Windoze machines to use rawrite if I need to.  The slackware
: install isn't quite as simple as the RedHat, all the same, I'd like to
: go ahead with it. The RedHat is simple enough to go back to.  Any
: pointers for good resources on installing slackware.

: Thanks,

: Jason
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.slackware.com would be a good place to start.  Notice that there's a
utility that allows you to convert rpm to a slack package (you'll find
info on it under the "packages" link).  Consider subscribing to the
slackware newsgroup as well...

------------------------------

From: Lee Prior Collier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: BIOS settings for PnP
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:21:26 +0000

Clue wrote:

> Thanks for the help guys.
>
> Now if I can only get my modem to work :)

Tell me it's not a 'plug and play' modem card.

If it is then have a read at http://www.winmodems.org

Best of Luck!!

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: good book for beginner?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 15:16:41 -0500

Thomas Jespersen wrote:

> "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Can someone please recommend some good books for a Linux newbie?  I've read
> > a lot of good reviews about "Running Linux" by ORA.  Are there any other
> > good beginner books which are more recent?
>
> Yes, get running linux first, when you are running linux on your
> system, look in the /usr/doc directory, and read the faqs and how-to
> documents, also download some of the books from LDP:
>
> http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/
>
> O'Reilly, who published "Running Linux", generally make very good
> books (in fact, I never regrettet buying a O'reilly book, and I got
> plenty now!) :
>
> http://linux.ora.com/

I like the book "Beginning Linux Programming" by WROX Press.
It is Bright Red with Yellow Lettering.

This book isn't about installing or configuring or admining
a UNIX box.

But if you read through it and begin to understand shell programming.
C programming, TCL/wish programming for X, HTML, CGI, and Java,
you will then be able to dig into your Linux and understand how it
works from the source.

-Ben.

------------------------------

From: Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux suxxxx
Date: 13 Feb 1999 11:32:49 +0800

softalk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Let me tell you I give up. After 3 solid weeks trying to set up a linux
> system I finally submit to the fact that  me and Linux do not get on. I have
> been installing novell & Win networks as a job for 9 years but wow what a
> shock I got from Linux. It's like trying to learn to program in C with no
> manual or source code to compare. Even a simple job like installing a new
> program is sometimes impossible. So goodbye Linux and goodbye smug Linux
> users.

Do not give up. Ask on the newsgroups. comp.os.linux.misc is a great
resource, use it. All these problems you are having are common ones,
and chances are, someone else asked and it was answered.

I used proprietory Unix for years and years. Finally, I switched to Linux,
and I cannot imagine using something else.

Now, when I have to work on Miscrosoft products... Windows, I am totally
lost. I do not know anything about it. I just do not care. Life is too
short to waste on non-Unix software. Windows and everything else is such a
pain. They do not exist for me.

No other operating system has as many tools as Unix.  grep, sed, vi, cut,
find commands combined together are a very good tool. Plus Perl, emacs -
the list goes on and on. I really do appreciate Unix and specifically
Linux.

If you do not want to install it yourself, that is fine. Just get a
pre-installed one, I liked www.aslab.com. Quality components, I recommend
them even though they accidently send me a sound card instead of a
modem. :)

------------------------------

From: Ben Russo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Data for NOT using MS-Exchange.
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 14:29:00 -0500

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 10:51:27 -0400 (EDT)
From: Michael Saintcross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FYI : Microsoft picks Solaris For HotMail!!!
To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

============= Begin Forwarded Message =============
Solaris calls Hotmail shots for Microsoft

Microsoft has decided to get the hots for Sun and is using Solaris to
run its acclaimed Hotmail web-based e-mail service instead of NT.

The software giant has attempted to exchange the Sun/Solaris
infrastructure of Hotmail with NT since buying it in December 1997.
However, the demands of supporting 10 million users reportedly proved
too great for NT, and Solaris was reinstated.

In a leaked report, sources close to Hotmail said:  "... its whole mail
server infrastructure is Solaris. NT couldn't handle it. On the web
server, they're running MP Pentiums and Apache on FreeBSD. They're
moving to Solaris for threads. The engineering team did its best to run
NT - and failed. The issue's being escalated."

Hotmail is running Apache's /1.2.1 web server which is not available
for NT due to technical difficulties. A statement on Apache's website
states: "The road to Windows NT has not been a pretty one.  Several
attempts have been made, both by Apache Group members and outside
folks, but due to a lack of stability and a clear consensus on how to
manage a true cross-platform development project, NT is not yet a
standard platform supported by Apache."

Microsoft is currently recruiting engineers for Hotmail, but NT
specialists need not apply.  Hotmail's website lists vacancies for an
operations software engineer and a QA engineer - and the common
requirement is for Unix experience.

Judy Gibbons, director of the Microsoft Network, was unaware of the
hardware behind Hotmail, but said:  "We looked at all the on-line mail
services and Hotmail was far and away the best. It has the most proven
and scalable architecture."

              First appeared in Network News, 22-April - 1998

--

============= End Forwarded Message =============

Michael Saintcross
Systems Engineer
Communications District

From: "Vishi Anand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Why is X video setup for i386 so complicated?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 12:10:50 -0800

I agree with you. I am also a beginner to Linux (use UNIX on SUN as well as
NT on PCs). I am using a old dell Pentium-100Mhz machine, 64M RAM, Matrox
Millenium card). Every thing works fine during the installation except the
X-windows stuff.

Luckily I found my monitor's manual to put all these Sync parameters, but no
luck so far running the X-windows. I don't mind fiddling with this stuff, as
that's why I am playing with Linux, but this X-setup does seem unnecessarily
tough.

I did buy SUN's solaris for $10 (when they had the promo). I installed it on
the same machine. Everything worked fine the very first time. No need to
look into monitor manuals or look into the graphics card for what RAM DAC I
have and what clock chip is there.

Vishi

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (NF Stevens)
Subject: Re: Root can't change or move a file - why?
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 19:35:48 GMT

Bob Creedy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've got a problem I've never seen before.  I've su'd to root to change
>my /etc/hosts.deny file but I'm denied permission to do it (yes, I did
>w! to save the file.
>
>Here's the dialogue:
>
>[/etc] id uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
>groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),4(adm),6(disk),10(wheel)
>[/etc] ls -l hosts*
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     root           79 Feb  8 10:24 hosts
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          245 Feb  8 10:30 hosts.allow
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          356 Feb  4 11:13 hosts.deny
>[/etc] mv hosts.deny zzz
>mv: cannot move `hosts.deny' to `zzz': Operation not permitted
>
>I can change any other file in /etc except that on.  Also, there are no
>unprintable characters in the file name.
>
>Can anyone help?
>
>I'm running Redhat 5.1 manhatten.

Check the extended attributes with lsattr. You probably have
the i attribute set. Change it with the chattr program.

Norman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David R. Conrad)
Crossposted-To: cern.linux
Subject: Re: big endian -> little endian converter
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 19:52:06 GMT

Thomas Boggs wrote:
>Speaking of floating points, does anyone know of any libraries to convert
>floating point values between different platforms?  I've gotten some VAX binary
>files containing floats in the past and had to do my own byte swapping and bit
>fiddling to use the data on an Intel machine.  It would be nice not to have to
>go through that process for each platform.

Sure:

  printf("%f", double_var);

  scanf("%f", &double_var);

--
David R. Conrad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  PGP keys (0x1993E1AE and 0xA0B83D31):
DSS  Fingerprint20 = 9942 E27C 3966 9FB8 5058  73A4 83CE 62EF 1993 E1AE