Linux-Misc Digest #236, Volume #20               Mon, 17 May 99 06:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  http://wrzl.freedomhosting.com   - FREE !  2017 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: page faults ("JACK")
  Re: Can I change X login screen In RedHat 5.2 (Jeremy Nickolet)
  CD Audio in RH6 ("Robert A. Ober")
  Re: In defence of UNIX man pages (Charles E Taylor IV)
  M-Systems DiskOnChip (Rudhuwan Abu Bakar)
  Re: Sony Vaio (Mr. Fabulous)
  Re: Loooking for bzip2-aware tar (Rob Manchester)
  Re: FTP with Resume feature? (Mr. Fabulous)
  Re: 'Find'. what a strange command (Villy Kruse)
  Re: Is Unix a single user operating system? (was: Wanted: Database/Contact mgr with
backend on Linux/FreeBSD, web frontend) (Gregory Bond)
  Re: How do I check header, replace it and forward it using .procmailrc ? (Brett
Neely)
  Source for xsplit & xjoin - where? (trent)
  Re: SB Vibra16 Problems. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  any other way except root setuid? ("Boris Petrovic")
  Re: Creating Linux/Dos shared partition? (Anita)
  Re: In defence of UNIX man pages (Robert Hull)
  Re: Applixware & Glibc 2.1 fix (Phillip Deackes)
  Re: GNU reeks of Communism (returning to %252522GNU Communism%252522) (Mr Barry P
Macmahon)
  Re: AutoInstall is for experts, not beginners!!! (Phillip Deackes)
  Token-ring cards (Fulajtar Pal)
  Re: New dumb question.... ("Oliver D. Bedford")
  Send AT commands to a modem during a PPP connection (FX)
  Linux's Programming? ("Raymond Yung")
  Redhat setup for internet? ("Raymond Yung")
  Re: Is Unix a single user operating system? (was: Wanted: Database/Contact mgr with
backend on Linux/FreeBSD, web frontend) (Peter T. Breuer)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.lynx,comp.os.mach,comp.os.magic-cap
Subject: http://wrzl.freedomhosting.com   - FREE !  2017
Date: 17 May 1999 04:42:59 GMT

The All U Need ! :

http://wrzl.freedomhosting.com

P.S.: First And Last Msg Thanx...
leygyiudnckzbcvnihiwyeqmrwfbqevqidmpghjtjfedkvvktrf

------------------------------

From: "JACK" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: page faults
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 05:38:55 +0100

>I had a couple of those page fault things immediately after
>upgrading to kernel 2.2.5. I cleaned all the dust out of the
>fan on my processor. It hasn't occurred again yet. (Touch wood).

i love "cause" and "effect" type statements...are you saying kernel
2.2.5 put dust on your processor....

From: Jeremy Nickolet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can I change X login screen In RedHat 5.2
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 05:42:47 GMT

Mike Rego wrote:

> I have X started as I login can I change the background of the login
> screen and how do I do that?

Have a look here:
http://members.home.com/nickoljt/xdm.html

Customizing xdm info is about half way down the page.

--
Jeremy

From: "Robert A. Ober" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD Audio in RH6
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 23:08:05 -0500

Hi all,

Lost my cd audio after upgrade to RH6.0.  Have sound working.  Gnome
desktop sounds work.  CD audio works in NT.  Does not work on RH6, even
in fvwm2.

Anybody got a clue?

Thanks:)
--
Robert A. Ober
Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles E Taylor IV)
Subject: Re: In defence of UNIX man pages
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 19:35:41 -0400

In article <7hn5mt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson) writes:

> Ed you clearly do not understand that man pages are not tutorials, they are
> not a FAQ nor a HOWTO in any sense of those terms.  They *are* technical
> reference manuals.  In that light they *must* list every nitpicking detail
> about a program, but need not necessarily describe when or how to actually
> use the program.  (Reread that last phrase carefully.)

I would submit that a *good* technical manual does provide example
usage information.  Not necessarily tutorials, but examples.  Most of
the man pages are, imo, poor technical references.  Note that my
experience with techincal manuals is more in the chemical engineering
and chemistry fields - where a sample calculation is worth a thousand
textbooks.

Your opinion may differ, of course.

Charles E Taylor IV <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Visit me on the web!
http://orangesherbert.ces.clemson.edu

From: Rudhuwan Abu Bakar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: M-Systems DiskOnChip
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 12:18:29 +0800

hi everyone

Is anybody out there is using DiskOnChip(DOC) for Linux booting? Is there
a way to use NETBOOT with DOC. Till now we manage to boot LINUX from DOC
but we are looking to use DOC to boot from server using NETBOOT or
ETHERBOOT. Anyone has tried this?

Thanks for any help.

Rudhuwan Abu Bakar
Network Computer Group
MIMOS
Technology Park Malaysia
57000 Kuala Lumpur
MALAYSIA
fax : +603 467 8477
phone : 603 966 5000 ext 6333

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mr. Fabulous)
Subject: Re: Sony Vaio
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 04:32:03 GMT

hobnobbing in comp.os.linux.misc, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (marco
tephlant) quacked like a little penguin as (s)he typed on the keyboard
like so:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > During a restless day hobnobbing in comp.os.linux.misc,
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (marco tephlant) quacked like a little penguin as
> > (s)he typed on the keyboard like so:
> > > Anyone know how much they sell for in Japan?
> >
> > As anything Niponese made there, it most assuredly costs more there
> > than here. Wherever it's made, in a US/Americas assembler or in
> > Yokohama, SE Asia.
>
> No way!  It must be cheaper.

No really. I promise you. If you're in a major city you can see
japanese tourists loading up on japanese electronics, their own brands
b/c their distribution system is designed for inefficiency, unneeded
redundancy, but for high human labor and employment. Check out the NY
Times archives for examples, I've often come across reported features
on the subject. It makes you feel great to live in the land of milk
and honey. No? Oh, yes! Take it easy.

--
Mr. Fabulous

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Manchester)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Loooking for bzip2-aware tar
Date: 17 May 1999 07:23:12 GMT

there is a patch for gnu-tar available here
http://www.muraroa.demon.co.uk

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Michal Szymanski wrote:
:Hello,
:
:I'm looking for a 'tar' version which would support 'bzip2'-compession in
:similar way as it currently supports 'gzip' and 'compress' through
:"z/Z" options.
:
:Any pointers would be welcome.
:
:regards, Michal.
:
:--
:  Michal Szymanski ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
:  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND

--
-rob
whoami?  Just a kid trying to get by.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mr. Fabulous)
Subject: Re: FTP with Resume feature?
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 07:33:16 GMT

During a restless day hobnobbing in comp.os.linux.misc, Ed Hurst
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> quacked like a little penguin as (s)he typed on
the keyboard like so:

> Rob,
>
> I like ncftp.  I know that it's smarter than I am, and automates some
> really good features, like remembering where you left off, even if you
> stop the download manually yourself.

How is it on automatically reconnecting after timeouts or dial-in
disconnects??

--
Mr. Fabulous

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: 'Find'. what a strange command
Date: 17 May 1999 09:36:54 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mark Forsyth  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Bill Unruh wrote:

>> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Mark Forsyth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> >Or even find / | grep -i netscape

>Ah yes but that had already been mentioned. The dreaded find / grep
>combo hadn't. Surprised me that it wasn't. Of course WHY you would
>use it escapes me completely...:)

Maybe in this case to also find Netscape, NetScape, and all other
combinations of capitalization (with the -i option to grep).

Villy

------------------------------

From: Gregory Bond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Is Unix a single user operating system? (was: Wanted: Database/Contact
mgr with backend on Linux/FreeBSD, web frontend)
Date: 17 May 1999 15:06:45 +1000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen E. Halpin) writes:

> Ill give you credit for getting the V right.  To quote from
> page 26 of "UNIX Network Programming", by W. Richard Stevens
> (this was in 1990):
>
>     System V restricts you to belong to a single group at a time.

Hmm, hard to argue with the source, but my first Unix box was a
V7-AUSAM system on a PDP-11/23 in 1985. [A whole Unix system, with
complete source, all user files and swap space, on a 10Mb hard disk!]
ISTR that had multiple groups, although it may be that the AUSAM
people ported the idea from 4.1 BSD (which was current at the
time). The V7 /etc/group file format (with the second field for the
"group password") was from the days where a process was a member of a
single group which I understood was V6.

Greg,
old.fart.

------------------------------

From: Brett Neely <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I check header, replace it and forward it using .procmailrc ?
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 00:46:11 -0700

The tools 'procmail' and 'formail' will provide you with the means to do
this.  Procmail will serve as your initial email filtering point, from
which you will create a recipe that calls formail as needed to modify
the email headers.

Check out the 'procmail' and 'formail' man pages, as there are a number
of ways to do this.

--
Brett Neely, Technical Support Engineer, Linuxcare, Inc.
415.354.4878 x505 tel, 415.701.7457 fax

------------------------------

From: trent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Source for xsplit & xjoin - where?
Date: 17 May 1999 06:31:01 GMT

Hi,

I have been using the most excellent utilities, xsplit and xjoin for quite
sometime on Irix based machines and my home MS machine.  I have recently
added RedHat to my home machine and am looking for the source code for
xsplit and xjoin so that I can recompile them to enable transportation
between home and the Irix machines of split'ed and join'ed files.

If anybody knows where I can find the source code for xsplit / xjoin I
would appreciate hearing about it.

Regards + thanks
Trent.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: SB Vibra16 Problems.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 08:08:56 GMT

According to Janet  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I got mine to work by using
> modprobe sound io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=3

You are one of the lucky ones.  There are a lot of Vibra16 PnPs that
don't do 16-bit DMA (although they do 16-bit D/A conversion.)  I am
one of the unlucky ones who had to suffer through several hours to
figure what the f. was up with my card.

-p.

------------------------------

From: "Boris Petrovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: any other way except root setuid?
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 07:30:38 +0200

I have question about root privileges, and ways of
giving effective root privileges to someone else :

 I had to write some  CGI scripts for doing some root stuff
 over WWW. I tried to set all CGI scripts to www user which runs
 www server, but of course I couldn't run functions which require root
 privileges, so I have to put root ownership and setuid bit on that
particular pieces of code.

 Now im doing extra check in that pieces of code to be sure that only
 www user runs that code.

 Is there other way to do that except root setuid  over that files?

                                thanks
                                my regards
                                Boris Petrovic

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anita)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.list,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Creating Linux/Dos shared partition?
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 05:25:13 GMT

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:26:30 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[snip for focus]

> 2. Use some sort of partitioning program (i.e. partition magic) to free up
>space while preserving all the files on your partition. -Personally, I
>repartitioned my hd, but when I installed redhat, I used the 'workstation'
>installation. Redhat consequently repartitioned my c: drive, freeing enough
>space for yet another partition. The thing about the server or workstation
>install is that it automatically does this partitioning for you. You could
>just remake your original linux partition into your communial parition, and
>you would be all set.

This is probably the dumbest of questions, but when Redhat
repartitioned your c: drive, did that wipe out the contents of that
drive? (My experience is with DOS and Windows, newbie to Linux.)

- Vegas Annie

------------------------------

From: Robert Hull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 09:16:58 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Charles E Taylor IV
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>In article <7hn5mt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson) writes:
>
>> Ed you clearly do not understand that man pages are not tutorials, they are
>> not a FAQ nor a HOWTO in any sense of those terms.  They *are* technical
>> reference manuals.  In that light they *must* list every nitpicking detail
>> about a program, but need not necessarily describe when or how to actually
>> use the program.  (Reread that last phrase carefully.)
>
>I would submit that a *good* technical manual does provide example
>usage information.

On the contrary, a good *technical* manual will have the detailed
syntax, but will leave the examples to the User Guide

--
Robert                    Talking to yourself - first sign of madness
                          Answering yourself back - first sign of schizophrenia

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phillip Deackes)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Applixware & Glibc 2.1 fix
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 08:23:15 GMT

On Sat, 15 May 1999 12:11:19 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phillip Deackes)
wrote:

>Debian users who use Applixware and have had problems with glibc 2.1 on
>your system might like to know that the fix is as follows:
>
>Add this line to your ~/axhome/ax_prof (mine is ax_prof4) file:
>
>axGFSName:tcp/host:7001
>
>Replace 'host' with your machine's hostname.

Unfortunately I jumped the gun a bit here. Some of fonts do not work
and cause Applix to crash.

Any other ideas?

--
Phillip Deackes

From: Mr Barry P Macmahon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: GNU reeks of Communism (returning to %252522GNU Communism%252522)
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 10:17:11 +0100

A little aside from the previous discussion. I have always been taught
that for every freedom one takes advantage of, you infringe on someone
elses freedom. We want the benefits that a competetive capitalism brings
[eg.ambition, creativity] but  everything has a price [except Linux ;-) ]
and it's always those who are considered 'the weak' who pay. What's wrong
with having ridiculous taxes for the ridiculously rich. I'm sure Bill's
billions could improve the quality of living for John Doe.

Barry.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phillip Deackes)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: AutoInstall is for experts, not beginners!!!
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 08:29:24 GMT

On Sun, 16 May 1999 20:23:14 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] ( (Gilles
Pelletier)) wrote:

>So, I figured out that a beginner would be much better of building his
>system manually. You know, mkdir /dev, /mnt, /cdrom, whatever...
>
>Had Suse's automatic installation worked neetly, I would still feel
>it's not the way to go. Sooner or later, you have to look under the
>hood and if you have no practical knowledge of your system, you're in
>for a rough time reading books.
>
>Autoinstalling Linux is like putting a nice body around a Ferrari's
>mechanics and giving the keys to John Doe saying "You just press the
>gas pedal and it moves forward."
>
>Whereas an expert might save time using autoinstall, it's most
>certainly a waste of time for a beginner. If there's a distribution
>like the one I'm describing here, please advise me.

I completely agree. I helped a friend install Caldera's Open Linux 2.2
last week and while it got a working system up very quickly it hid far
too much, in a Windows fashion. He can't get his printer working
correctly because he hasn't had to do anything on the command line and
knows nothing about /etc/printcap and print filters or ghostscript.
"What's /etc"? was his comment.

I use Debian which I think is an excellent compromise between the raw
nuts'n bolts of, say, Slackware and something Commercial like COL.
Debian can be so much easier (apt for example) but requires a liitle
prior knowledge. Well worth the extra effort.

--
Phillip Deackes

From: Fulajtar Pal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Token-ring cards
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 10:55:34 +0200

   I have a 3com Velocity ISA16/4 token-ring card. Does anybody know,
where can i find Linux driver for it?
In the kernel I found only two supported cards. No more cards has Linux
support?

Regards,

  Pal

------------------------------

From: "Oliver D. Bedford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New dumb question....
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 10:57:29 +0200

Peter F. DeMos wrote:

> I am accessing the CDRom now, but when I do an ls, ls -al, or whatever,
> I see no files. Only the . and ..

  Are you sure you are really accessing the CD-ROM? The "." and ".."
indicate that
you are in an empty directory.

> How do I read what files are on the disk in the CDRom? And yes, they are
> *nix disks.

  Mount the CD-ROM correctly (e.g. under /mnt/cdrom) and then you can
look at the disk via "ls /mnt/cdrom".

  Oliver

PS: Perhaps you want a line like

/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom  iso9660  user,exec,dev,nosuid,ro 0 0

in your /etc/fstab

------------------------------

From: FX <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Send AT commands to a modem during a PPP connection
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 10:06:37 +0200

Hello,

I want to know if it's possible with LINUX to send AT commands to a
modem, after PPP
connection establishment ...
I want for example to perform File Transfer over PPP, stop the transfer,
send
AT commands for Diagnostic purposes, and then resume the file transfer

Thanks for help.

FX

------------------------------

From: "Raymond Yung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux's Programming?
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 17:06:42 +0800

Hello all,

        Could anyone tell me how to run the program (XXX.o) in my Linux
system?

         I write a simple C's program, named TMP.C and after compile, the
file TMP.o will exist, but why I type this file will not any respone?

    Thank you! :)

Raymond Yung

------------------------------

From: "Raymond Yung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat setup for internet?
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 17:08:25 +0800

Hello all,

        Could anyone teach me, how to setup the Modem for Internet?

        Thank You! :)

Raymond Yung

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer)
Date: 17 May 1999 07:03:24 GMT

Gregory Bond ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen E. Halpin) writes:

: > page 26 of "UNIX Network Programming", by W. Richard Stevens
: > (this was in 1990):
: >
: >     System V restricts you to belong to a single group at a time.

: Hmm, hard to argue with the source, but my first Unix box was a
: V7-AUSAM system on a PDP-11/23 in 1985. [A whole Unix system, with

I'm also pretty sure that my sun 360, in 1985, had groups to which I
had to add myself.

I think stevens may be referring to the unique group of the uid. The
wording is not absolutely unambiguous for me!

: ISTR that had multiple groups, although it may be that the AUSAM
: people ported the idea from 4.1 BSD (which was current at the

I don't recall the sun 360's os number? 3.9? I think it was just before
the sun splitoff.