From: hellraiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where is kernel in Mandrake 5.3??
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 18:14:00 -0400

Phillip wrote:

> I've just installed Mandrake 5.3 and tried to recompile the kernel the same
> way I did with RedHat 5.2 and when I type 'make menuconfig' in
> /usr/src/linux, I get error messages.  I've played around with it and can't
> figure it out.

what errors are you getting?

my guess is that you probably don't have the ncurses library installed.
if that is the case, then get the ncurses library (i forgot where... try
freshmeat.net), or try 'make config' or 'make xconfig'.

--
hellraiser ( @linuxfreak.com || @nac.net )
awk 'BEGIN { printf "Just another %s hacker\n", ARGV[0] }'

------------------------------

From: "peary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to run EC program on web?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 18:20:46 +0800

Hi, all,
I use Informix SE on LINUX,  and I found a problem.

I write an easy EC program(nothing about sql) and
compile it to execution file. It can run well under linux command,
but if i run it on web browser, it don't work(never have output).

But if I rename it to "tt.c" , and compile it to an execution file.
It can run well on both linux command and the web browser.

I don't know why? It is the same C program and nothing about SQL,
just compiled by different C compiler. Why one can execute on web browser,
and the other can't?

Anyone knows? Does any parameter I need to set on linux for web?
Thanks...

Peary

Here is my program,  "tt.ec"

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
void main(int argc,char *argv[])
{
        printf("Content-type:text/html%c%c",10,10);
        printf("This tests the output of C on WEB...\n");
        /*printf("%s",argv[1]);*/
        return;
}

------------------------------

From: Jarvis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: re: Big Tar problem
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 18:31:41 +0800

I seem to have a big problem with my tar after i upgrading my kernel to
2.2.7 and i dont know if it is a linux trojan/virus or some program
conflict with my kernel. Please advise.
Everytime i tar a program with root, the program extracts nicely however
the owner and the gourp of the file is some random normal user or
sometimes numbers. I am not sure but i think that my tar also affects
compiled files in the *.tar file, recently i downloaded vmware and after
installing i tried to run vmware and it couldnt find the file although i
got the path right. Also had the same problem when i downloaded mtv
Anyone have this problem?
thanks

From: Rene van Valkenburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: nl.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: The Vi Lovers Home Page
Date: 19 May 1999 22:45:16 GMT

In nl.comp.os.linux Thomer M. Gil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The Vi Lovers Home Page:
> http://www.cs.vu.nl/~tmgil/vi/vi.html

The only true EDitor:

http://swarm.cs.wustl.edu/~jxh/ed.html

--
Rene van Valkenburg             - jiggel on IRC

From: David Pitts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Calendaring
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 03:56:22 -0700

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Cameron Spitzer wrote:
>In article <N6o03.11012$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Tue, 18 May 1999 10:36:30 -0600, Stan Rock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>I need to know if there is an application on Linux that would allow calendar
>>>sharing.  I have a bunch of users running Windows 95/98 using Outlook 97.
>>
>>Plan has been doing this for a goodly five years;
>
>Great tease.  How is one supposed to look up a computer program named "plan"?
>

>>I expect that Ical
>>does the same, and reasonably like for the same scope of timeperiod.
>
>Hotbot finds Interactive Collections Availability List
>(some kind of botany index).  And an IETF draft about calsch-ical,
>and an Inventory Calendar.  Mostly dead links.
>One at a school called Loramie looks promising, says it's an Ical Tutorial,
>but it's only a picture of a calendar with all links password protected.
>
>I get it, this is some kind of contest, like a treasure hunt.
>

>I think I'll write a program named "the"; nobody will *ever* be able to
>find it.
>

>Cameron

Rich Bowen has a good Calendaring program that runs will on Linux - or any
other platform.  His url is www.rcbowen.com.

Tell him "Moose" sent ya!

David "Moose" Pitts

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New cable modem means I have a lot to learn
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 11:01:07 GMT

  "Steve Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Tue, 18 May 1999 10:03:07 -0400 (EST), wrote :

"S> The good news: after years of dithering my cable TV provider is providing
"S> Internet access.  The bad news: I need to quickly get up to speed on
"S> everything needed to provide Internet access to my whole LAN via the cable
"S> modem.
"S>
"S> My simple LAN consists of a server running RedHat v5.2 (updated to kernel
"S> v2.2.x and glibc v2.1) and 10 clients (running Win95, Win98 and OS/2) all
"S> running on the same subnet.  Name resolution is done via an identical hosts
"S> file on each system.  The server does not provide Internet access to the
"S> clients.
"S>
"S> I do not intend to run any additional local services (mail, Web, news, etc.)
"S> at this time.  I just want my LANs server to pass packets between the client
"S> machines and the cable modem.
"S>
"S> With the imminent arrival of my cable modem I quickly need info on:
"S>
"S> 0. My ISP will provide a dynamically-allocated IP address.  Does that mean I
"S> need to configure my server for DHCP?  All the client system will continue
"S> to have static addresses.

You just need DHCP code (see below)

"S>
"S> 1.  Supporting a 2nd NIC in my server.  Having Linux recognize both NICs is
"S> a no-brainer, but how do I configure it to communicate only with the cable
"S> modem?  (The 1st NIC will remain connected to the hub, of course.)

The first NIC will its existing static address. The second NIC will get
a dhcp address from the cable co.

"S>
"S> 2. IP Masquerading?

Yep and IP forwarding.  This will give the boxes on your LAN access to
the InterNet, without you having to buy a pile of IP numbers from the
cable provider.

"S>
"S> 3. Firewall?  Up to now I haven't had to think much about security, since
"S> the LAN doesn't have direct Internet access.  Now that we'll be constantly
"S> connected, I'm wondering if I need a firewall.  I have an older machine that
"S> I could use solely as a firewall if needed.

You probably don't need a firewall.  Since you will be using IP
Masquerading and IP forwarding, your LAN will be invisible to the 'net
anyway -- all that would be seen is your server.  So long as security is
good on the server, you should be fine.  Install SSH on the server.
Make sure sendmail on the server is set up to reject relaying and is
SPAM-proofed.   Essentially, IP Masquerading and IP forwarding give you a
kind of a firewall.

"S>
"S> Any information, or pointers to info, on these topics would be gratefully
"S> received.
"S>
"S> Thank you.
"S>
"S> ***** Steve Snyder *****
"S>
"S>
"S>
"S>

--
                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: David Pitts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Getting PPP to work
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 04:14:51 -0700

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Jay wrote:
>Can anyone explain how I can get PPP to work. First I noticed that PPP was
>not installed. So I recompiled using 'make config' and 'make dep'. Then I
>recompiled the modules. However on rebooting I still can't find PPP as
>installed. What am I missing?
>
>-Jay

Jay,
there are several ways of getting PPP to work.  Probably the easiest is to use
kppp which is part of kde.  Very simple....  just plug in values and go.
Another option is to edit the ppp-on script with the appropriate information
and run it.
[root@lolly ppp]# cat ppp-on.neteze
#!/bin/sh

# Script to initiate a ppp connection. This is the first part of the
# pair of scripts. This is not a secure pair of scripts as the codes
# are visible with the 'ps' command.  However, it is simple.

# These are the parameters. Change as needed.
TELEPHONE=123-1234      # The telephone number for the connection
ACCOUNT=davidp          # The account name for logon (as in 'George Burns')
PASSWORD=whatever       # The password for this account (and 'Gracie Allen')
LOCAL_IP=0.0.0.0        # Local IP address if known. Dynamic = 0.0.0.0
REMOTE_IP=0.0.0.0       # Remote IP address if desired. Normally 0.0.0.0
NETMASK=255.255.255.0   # The proper netmask if needed

# Export them so that they will be available at 'ppp-on-dialer' time.
export TELEPHONE ACCOUNT PASSWORD
#
# This is the location of the script which dials the phone and logs
# in.  Please use the absolute file name as the $PATH variable is not
# used on the connect option.  (To do so on a 'root' account would be
# a security hole so don't ask.)

DIALER_SCRIPT=/home/ppp/ppp-on-dialer
export DIALER_SCRIPT

# Initiate the connection
#
# I put most of the common options on this command. Please, don't
# forget the 'lock' option or some programs such as mgetty will not
# work. The asyncmap and escape will permit the PPP link to work with
# a telnet or rlogin connection. You are welcome to make any changes
# as desired. Don't use the 'defaultroute' option if you currently
# have a default route to an ethernet gateway.

exec /usr/sbin/pppd lock modem crtscts /dev/modem 38400 \
        asyncmap 20A0000 escape FF kdebug 0 $LOCAL_IP:$REMOTE_IP \
        noipdefault netmask $NETMASK defaultroute connect $DIALER_SCRIPT

David Pitts
Author, Consultant, Instructor, and Christian
www.dpitts.com

From: Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: moving directories
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 15:33:55 -0400

Hello,
Once you have your disk prepped, why not issue a command like:
'mv var va.old;mkdir /var;mount /dev/<device> /var'
That will leave your system without the directory only for an instant.
Figure out when your lowest system usage is, then do that...

Christopher E. Geddings

From: "Sean Boran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: OpenSSL0.9.2b+ Redhat 5.2 on Alpha: cannot "configure"
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 12:02:34 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to get Openssl running on 5.2 on Alpha (I already have the same
version running on sparc).

When I run "config" or "./Configure linux-elf" it stops with the following
error:

> Makefile => Makefile.ssl
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/openssl-0.9.2b/tools'
> c_rehash: rehashing skipped ('openssl' program not available)

I had a read through Configure but don't quite understand how it works, nor
what it was trying to do in tools. OpenSSL seems to use lots of assembler,
so I wonder if the combination of linux+alpha is a problem (there was no
reference to this in Configure).

I also tried a Configure line like this, to remove the x86 specific stuff:
   "linux-alpha",  "gcc:-DTERMIO -O3:::"
but it gave the same error as above.

If I ignore the Configure errors and try to compile anyway, it barfs on
lnking:
> ../libcrypto.a(bn_div.o): In function `BN_div':
> bn_div.c(.text+0x40c): undefined reference to `bn_div_words'
> bn_div.c(.text+0x410): undefined reference to `bn_div_words'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Any ideas?
I'd appreciate a reply to both email + news...

Thanks in advance,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Benoit Goudreault-Emond)
Crossposted-To: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: NT the best web platform?
Date: 19 May 1999 23:38:23 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, The Ghost In
The Machine wrote:
> On 19 May 1999 02:47:28 GMT,
> Benoit Goudreault-Emond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >However, there is one thing that strikes me as odd, that I read somewhere,
> >and have not seen since (was it wrong?  Perhaps).  Apparently, IIS caches
> >its static content, but Apache does not, relying on Squid or a similar cache
> >manager to do so.  Therefore, a fair test would probably be to use Squid as
> >well; any other test does NOT test Linux, but rather, Apache.  (Obviously,
> >Apache may, in fact, be caching stuff, but I would not know)
>
> Hmm..this gets ugly.  Of course, Apache may not cache static web
> content (read: files), but the operating system may well do so
> (Linux, in particular, has a built-in file cache; RAM that would
> otherwise be unsed is actually doing something useful -- and it's
> far quicker to fetch a file into RAM when it's already *in* RAM,
> after all :-) ).

Then again, NT caches files as well, so the OS cache should be about
equivalent. However, the webserver knows better what to cache (or so one
would think), so it might reserve away memory that would be used for caching
some other stuff.  IIS does that, AFAIK, but Apache doesn't.  Hence my
comment.

--
Benoit Goudreault-Emond
CoFounder, KMS Group ; Student, B. Comp. Eng, Concordia University

Note:   the "From:" address is not correct to protect myself against spam.
        My actual e-mail address is: ``bgoudem AT axess DOT com''

------------------------------

From: Mirko Roller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Makeing a boot/root disk , howto ?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 13:11:30 +0200

I have made a mini Kernel and an ext2 Floppy Disk, with an mini root
system on it.
I also Installed Lilo.

If i boot the disc all worked, also the shell.
But what must i do, to make a boot/rootdisk with an ramdisk ?

Then i packed the rootdisc in an rootfs.gz and boot it with

loadlin bzimage root=200 rw 2 initrd=initdisk.gz

the kernel promt to insert an boot floppy !?!?!?!

And mount the floppy as /dev/fd0 wich is a dos disc, no

Who can help ?

------------------------------

From: (John Auld)
Subject: Re: Creating Redhat 6 CD image
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 11:12:51 GMT

On Tue, 11 May 1999 02:15:07 +0800, Lee Yeow Leong
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am trying to create the CD image for Redhat 6.

> Anyone can give me some advice?  TIA.

I found that the instruction in the cd distribution work fine for RH
6.0

/cdrom/doc/HOWTO/mini/RedHat-CD

Regards

John Auld

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 20:48:14 -0400
From: Matt Kressel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: /usr/sbin/in.identd missing?

Jeffrey Bell wrote:

> I'm running to boxes networked together, one runs Slackware-2.2.8 and
> the other runs Stampede-2.2.8
> I was checking out my Stampede's syslog file and came across an error
> that I can not figure out..
> syslog states: execv /usr/sbin/in.identd no such file or directory.
>
> I try and <locate> in.identd and nothing comes up, I look in /usr/sbin
> and nothing there either. I've noticed
> that there is a in.identd on the Slackware box.
>
> Can anybody explain what in.identd is for?  I've tried using man but can
> not find anything about this.
> Could I just copy Slackware's in.identd over to Stampede?

You could copy it if they use the same libc librarires (ls -l
/lib/libc*).  identd is the authorization daemon, or the server that
reports to remote hosts which user is requesting the service.  This also
lets you know user who attempt to access your machine if their identd is
running.

-Matt

--
INTERNET:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | Matt Kressel
"And you run, and you run to catch up with the Sun, but its

------------------------------

From: "Martin Ozolins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Communism dosn't even exist, never did...
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 17:16:57 -0700

Joshua E. Rodd wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Mad Nomad wrote:
>> developed Windows 1.0, and then Windows 2.0, and then
>> Windows 286, and then Windows 386, and then Windows 3.0, and then
>> Windows 3.1, and then Windows 3.11, and then Windows for Workgroups,
>
>Windows for Workgroups 3.1 was released before Windows 3.11
>Windows for Workgroups 3.11 was released simultaneously with
>Windows 3.11.
>
>(WFW3.1 is a terrible, terrible beast.)

Windows 3.11 didn't exist as a stand alone system.  One had the choice of
not installing the network extensions.

BTW it was faster, and more reliable than Win 3.1

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keven R. Pittsinger)
Subject: Re: Need help setting up system.
Date: 20 May 1999 00:54:24 GMT

        Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> K G Tee wrote:
>>
>> The sequence to install a dual-boot system will be first to install Windows
>> and then RH 6.0, after allocating the two partitions. There isn't any
>> complication about that. The LILO boots Linux by default.
>>
>> Installing Linux first and then Windows, will make Linux "vanish".
>>
>> theoddone33 wrote in message <7hkrhi$6ic$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>> > I just ordered RH 6.0, and I'm getting a 10 gig HD in a few weeks.  Right
>> >now, I've got a 240 meg HD running slackware 3.5.  I want to split the 10
>> >gig into 2 5 gig partitions with windows on one and RH on the other.  From
>> >my limited experience installing windows, I'm assuming it will only install
>> >itself in the first partition.  Is this correct?  Also, I read in Linux
>> >Journal that LILO can load windows.  I would like RH to load by default,
>> >even if windows is in the first partition and I want to put LILO in the
>> >Master Boot Record.  Is there anyone who knows how to do this that would
>> >like to explain it to me further?  Specifically, I need help with getting
>> >LILO to load windows.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Just for curious, why do most people use lilo rather than loadlin, which
> merely requires that you type 'win' or 'linux' at the C:\> prompt and
> leaves the MBR untouched?

Dunno about anybody else, but there *is* no Windoze partition on my
machine.  I'm 100% Linux here.  Thus, there *is* no C:\> prompt.

Keven
--
tc++ tm+ tn t4- to ru++ ge+ 3i c+ jt au st- ls pi+ ta+ he+ so- vi zh sy
                                                     Science-Fiction Adventure

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Non-destructive partioning of linux partition?
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 21:37:53 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <7htgg9$9pi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (benjamin mullin) writes:
> Hello,
>
> Maybe this is a stupid question, but is there a way to repartion a linux
> partition without having to wipe it clean?

Yes, but AFAIK only with the commercial product Partition Magic 4.0
(http://www.powerquest.com).  (Another poster suggested FIPS, but the last
I checked, it only worked on FAT partitions, not Linux ext2 partitions.
If that's changed, somebody please post confirmation.)

If you want to INCREASE the space available to Linux, you may be able to
get by with using FIPS to shrink a FAT partition, then create a new
partition and ADD it to your Linux filesystem.  For instance, if you now
have / and /home partitions, copy the files in, say, /usr/local to the new
partition, delete the originals, and add it to your /etc/fstab file as
/usr/local.

> Addionally, can you share a
> swap partition between two linux installations?

Yes.  With some fiddling, you can even share it with Windows or OS/2 for
swap space there.  (There's at least one HOWTO on this topic.)

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]