From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: alsa sucks
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:26:29 -0600

Well, how did you install alsa? By some pre-compiled binaries? Or you
just compiled it by yourself? If so, did you enable oss emulation when
configuring? And, did you run 'snddevices' to create necessary devices
in /dev directory? The last two steps are important to get KDE to
make sound.

Good luck.

------------------------------

From: Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.linux
Subject: Re: eth0 delaying initialization - why?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:33:47 GMT

When installing RH6.1, we installed the LILO (LInux LOader, or something). According
to my RH
manual, page 444, I should use the de4x5.o module. However, I will also try tulip, as
you
suggested. I also added another ethernet card just to see if that would help. It
didnt. I added a
3Com EtherLink III (Module 3c507). Same old error. I also have specified the io
address and the
irq. Still same error (eth0: Delaying Initialization). I will try a boot disk. Any
ideas on how to
create the boot disk? any help would, of course, be appreaciated. thanks!
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ; newsgroups, too.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Mail from Linux to MS-Windows-Postoffice
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:28:08 GMT

Try doing a "man mail" to see if that will do.

In article <8lsj1l$si1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 16:45:17 -0400
From: sandrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.X
Subject: Re: Helix upgade trashed Sawfish

Lloyd Llewelyn wrote:

> Hello -
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> > the configuration
> > file for X and the WM files in my home directory. Upon a restart
> > all was well.
>
> I'm pretty new to linux (few weeks) - can you tell me which files I'm
> looking for?

        directories:
        .gnome
        .gnome-desktop
        .gnome-private
        .xauth
        .ICEauthority

        file:
        .Xauthority
        .Xresources

you may want to back them up before removing them.

Anothyer way to check your install is to  create a new
user with
adduser and then login and run startx.  See if it comes
up right.
--
M$ Windows is aptly named, after all, it's easily
broken, and offers little

------------------------------

From: "Breinie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Downloading latest version of Redhat in one file
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 22:49:04 +0200

Yes there are. If you've got a CD burner it's simple... There are files
which are made to burn a CD from, called ISO's. On redhat.com (or mirrors)
are iso's of their latest version (6.2).  Download that file (+/- size of
CD: 650MB) and burn it (with CDRWin or so).

If you don't have a CD burner it's a bit more complicated. You can split the
file in their original files with the programme: 'winimage' (download at
tucows.com).

I did the first yesterday and it worked fine with me. You'll need a lot of
bandwith though if you'll want to do such a thing (downloading 650MB in one
file). And please use a download manager (like Go!Zilla (also at
tucows.com)).

Succes!

Paul.

Ps. You really want to download of a mirror site (in you're neighborhood)
and not directly from redhat.com (it's slow and you don't want to suck up
their bandwith).

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Powerful software
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:00:02 GMT

Complaint sent.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

The problem with AI is that it has a mind of its own
        --- Devon Miller

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Oh no!
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:00:03 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink) writes:

' I have only minimal experience with RPM, but on my Debian system,
' running the development "unstable" release, I've never had problems
' with library conflicts.  Ever.  Not even during the infamous libc
' upgrades.

You must be compiling from source then.  That seems to be the most
reliable distribution method for Linux.

--

Subject: Quicktime player? (Sorenson Video)
From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:00:02 GMT

Xanim doesn't play Sorenson Video encoded Quicktime .mov files,
neither do any other players I've found for Linux.  I might have
missed some though.  Does anyone have a link to the homepage of a
Linux Quicktime video player that *does* support this CODEC?

--

Subject: Re: "dd" copy fails to copy errors
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Gog)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:09:17 GMT

On July 27 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rasputin) wrote:

> I remember hearing the same thing when friends of mine were thinking
> of burning, erm, 'offsite backups' of certain PSX games.
>
> I put it down as a urban myth at the time, though.

EA used this method forever.  They used what some called "staggered
sectors" at the beginning of the disk.

--
 John Gog  (Delete REMOVE to e-mail)
 Advanced Systems Design

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: downloading
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:15:00 GMT

In article <8ls1mg$ak1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Brown) wrote:
> Hi:
>
> What I'm wondering is if I can download a Linux program in Windows to
> file, and then access it in Linux later.  Will the program survive the
> translation process, or not?  If I have to have my internet access in
> Linux, then I'm going to have to spend some more money to get that to
> happen.  Right now I've got Juno, but they are MS Windows only.
>
> --
> Trevor

I frequently dowload modules and patches for future use using windows.
The only thing I take care doing is always using a "save-as" in order
to preserve filenames.  Later I can boot into Linux and copy the files
from the DOS partition to the Linux one.  I also use the zip disks,
floppies and burn CD's to get the files I want.  My internet access is
from a local ISP and my connection works in Windows or Linux.  If that
means you have to get a generic provider then you might have to.  Good
luck.

Richard Lyon

From: "tvn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slackware  7.1   asks for Disk A, B , C , D .... during install  ?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:40:02 -0400

I've just read the FAQ on slackware's webpage ....  but that still doesn't
help to solve the problem.   Where can I find those packages ?

The distribution I had was downloaded from the net (iso image and burn to
CD)  ... it's merely 640 megs

news:8lrflq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 17:29:34 -0400
From: Larry Ebbitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: who is responsible for the cache?

Robert Schweikert wrote:

> > AFAIK, it's the motherboard chipset.  Sounds like you've got hardware
> > problems to me.  Compiling something large (liek gcc or the kernel) puts a
> > lot of strain on memory, and I've had machines with flakey hardware that
> > seemed fine until I tried to compile something.

> I've tested a different memory stick and had the same problem.

The cache is definitely a hardware responsibility.  It's unlikely that a
memory stick would have any effect.  It's difficult to imagine what software
could do to mess it up.  Cache memory access patterns can be vastly
different between two compiles of different source. About all software can
do is invalidate cache under certain circumstances like context switch.

--
Larry Ebbitt - Linux + OS/2 - Atlanta

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Building a Linux Server from scratch:  Experiences?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:32:43 +0000

David Steuber wrote:

[snip]

> Has anyone else had similar experiences to mine?  Does life get easier
> in the build your own PC game?  I feel a lot like I should have just
> gone with VA Linux and be done with it.
>
> Now I have an e-mail to send.

The last computer I bought "pre-built" was an XT back in '85, since then
I have built all of mine from parts. Back then you could save a great
deal of money because you paid a premium to have an IBM label on your
box. These days PCs have become a commodity item and you can end up
paying more by building it yourself. It stills gives you the advantage
of getting exactly what you want and if something goes wrong your more
likely to know how to fix it. But places like emachines are basically
making disposable computers, keep it 2 years and buy a new one, dump the
old one.

As far as vendors go , sometimes your parts can come at different times
because they can be shipped from different warehouses in different
locations. One thing you have to watch is the shipping, they can
blindside you with that. I have generally good luck with most place I
have ordered from , a few of the ones I like now are:

allstarshop.com , axiontech.com, and onsale.com. Shipment was on time,
no missing parts and shipping was reasonable.

Check sysopt.com for some technical articles and they also have link to
a reseller ratings page that rates vendors.
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: helix evolution
Date: 28 Jul 2000 14:07:23 -0700

"m.nine.six" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> hi,
>
> i'm trying to compile the evolution package. but i don't want to mix the
> unstable required package into my system for this reason i want to
> copile all the packages into '/evo' dir. but now the 'configure' can't
> find the required packages in '/evo'.
>
> and my question: how can i tell configure that some of the required
> packages (like gnome-print) are in '/evo' (with sub dirs like bin, lib,
> include, share...)?

Try ./configure --prefix=/evo

--
Aaron J. Ginn                     Motorola SPS
Phone: (480) 814-4463             SemiCustom Solutions

------------------------------

From: peter pilsl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: softwareraid slow
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:40:02 GMT

I´ve set up a software-raid0 under the 2.2.16-kernel, but its not faster
than one of the drives on its own.

hdb on ide channel0 and hdc on ide-channel1 are the same models and both
splitted into two partitions of the same size. hdb1 and hdc1 form a raid0-
drive md0 and have to compare on speed with hdc2.

results using bonnie:

# bonnie -d /mnt/hdc2 -s 1000
File '/mnt/hdc2//Bonnie.3349', size: 1048576000, volumes: 1
Writing with putc()...  done:   1523 kB/s  89.0 %CPU
Rewriting...            done:   2466 kB/s  62.9 %CPU
Writing intelligently...done:   4800 kB/s  56.7 %CPU
Reading with getc()...  done:   1617 kB/s  93.0 %CPU
Reading intelligently...done:   5388 kB/s  75.0 %CPU

# bonnie -d /mnt/md0 -s 1000
File '/mnt/md0//Bonnie.3414', size: 1048576000, volumes: 1
Writing with putc()...  done:   1537 kB/s  75.3 %CPU
Rewriting...            done:   2464 kB/s  46.4 %CPU
Writing intelligently...done:   5524 kB/s  23.2 %CPU
Reading with getc()...  done:   1546 kB/s  94.1 %CPU
Reading intelligently...done:   5395 kB/s  94.6 %CPU

any help appretiated,
peter

configuration:

# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid5] [translucent]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md0 : active raid0 hdb1[1] hdc1[0] 12095744 blocks 4k chunks
unused devices: <none>

# cat /etc/raidtab
raiddev /dev/md0
        raid-level      0
        nr-raid-disks   2
        persistent-superblock 1
        chunk-size     4
        device          /dev/hdc1
        raid-disk       0
        device          /dev/hdb1
        raid-disk       1

--
pilsl@
goldfisch.at

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 17:53:17 -0400
From: Larry Ebbitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: finding my hacks

robin wrote:

> I figured that out now, this gives me a list of packaged files which I
> might have to consider when I move to an updated version (stuff like
> /etc/ppp/options). Trouble is ther are literally hundreds of
> initialisation files for mail, kde, gnome etc which apparently don't
> belong in any particular package and I can't tell if I need to keep
> any/all of them.

You really have to keep notes  documenting all the changes you make.  I
don't mean to sound like an old professor, I'm just finding out the same
thing and trying to teach myself such behavior to preserve what little is
left of my sanity.  My memory is no longer a factor <g>.

--
Larry Ebbitt - Linux + OS/2 - Atlanta

alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.lang.oberon,comp.os.lynx,comp.os.mach,comp.os.misc,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.sys.be.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc,comp.sys.psion.misc
From: Robert Werry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Operating systems for personal-computers?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:12:11 +1100

In article <MztuwCAZ6Ne5Ew$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kelly and Sandy
<URL:mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In a alt.os.linux.mandrake newsletter entitled "LINUX SUX THE BIG
> WAZOO!", Rootman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
>
> >Linux isn't for everyone it certainly isn't for the average user
> >for a desktop PC - although it will gladly fill that role if
> >desired.  It requires the user to relearn a lot of the ingrained
> >ideas that MS has foisted off on us over the years and forces the
> >user to actually understand what he is doing.
> >
> >If you don't like it then don't use it.  Donate you CD to a local
> >school or friend who can put it to use.  Linux works, it was you
> >that failed to understand it's intracasies and nuances.  Move on,
>

>     My middle name is "Newbie".
>

>     I'd like to ask any people who happen to be browsing this newsletter
> what viable personal computer operating  systems  are  available  today,
> besides your Microsoft.
>

>     There's the Macintosh (MacOS)    Next computer I get will be a Mac.
>     There's Linux                    Hmm, we all know and love this one.
>     There's Oberon                   Not cooperative multitasking?
>     There's BeOS                     Thin, very thin, last I looked.
>     There's EPOC32                   Nice. Is this only for handhelds?
>     There's OS2                      Not sure. Is this still ongoing?
>

>     By  "viable",  I refer to the intuited meaning:  that my grandmother
> could start use it and begin to think of the computer as  her  "personal
> computer".
>

>     In all seriousness, is there anything else I should consider?

There most certainly is!

RISC OS is probably the most intuitive and easy to use operating system
available and has a pedigree as long as your ARM (pun intended).

Many of the better features of other operating systems have been "borrowed"
from it. Better still, it comes on ROM chip (no corruption or virus problems),
in some of the world's most reliable and impressive computers - all based on
British ARM RISC processors (just like the latest Psions):

Acorn (manufactured by Castle Technology)
RiscStation (RiscStation Ltd)
Mico (Microdigital Ltd)

On top of all of this, there is a wide range of superb commercial software
available.

Have a look at http://www.castle.org.uk/

--
Robert Werry                                                     .^.
Robert Werry Computer Services                                  '___'