From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arun K. Khan)
Subject: Help!! Mandrake6.0 - system gets stuck in 'depmod' in boot sequence
Date: 27 Jul 1999 21:54:43 GMT

I compiled a 'custom' 2.2.9 (SMP) kernel for Mandrake 6.0 using the steps

        make xconfig
        make dep
        make clean
        make bzImage
        make modules
        make modules_install

Created the a 'initrd' image file with the corresponding SCSI module and  then
reinstalled LILO with the 'custom' kernel as the default kernel to boot.

The boot sequence gets stuck on line 187 of rc.sysinit.  I quote the line here:
        action "Finding module dependencies" depmod -a

A Break (Cntl-C) gets me out of this but then none of the modules (network, sound,
parallel port ...) are loaded leaving me with a non-networked system.

Manually running the command "/sbin/depmod -a" on a root shell gives out a whole
bunch of unresolved symbols **but** the *.o files for these modules exist under
/lib/modules/2.2.9-19mdk!!  Also, the file /lib/modules/2.2.9-19mdk/modules.dep
seems to be created with dependencies.

(depmod, modprobe, ... are from modutils-2.1.121 RPM package)

What am I missing to be able to boot with a 2.2.9 'custom' kernel successfully?

TIA,
-- Arun Khan
PS  Pls. reply by email to arunkhan at xnet dot com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Coy A Hile)
Subject: Re: Resize /usr partition... Is it wise?
Date: 27 Jul 1999 18:29:28 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron Ginn  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I made the mistake of making my /usr partition too small (~600 Mb) when
>I created it.  As such, I am quickly running out of space on it.  I have
>a 500 Mb /usr/local partition and two other 500 Mb partitions that
>I want to delete and use the space to increase /usr to ~2 Gb.  Is this
>wise, and what is the best way to do it?  I use Red Hat, so I plan on
>using Disk Druid to do the dirty work.  I can back up my entire system,
>so even if I have to do a complete reinstall, I can live with it, but
>I'd prefer to just mess with the above partitions and keep my system as
>close to its current state as possible.  Has anyone done anything
>similar, and how did it go?

Why not keep /usr the same size and addd these new partitions to make
/usr/local larger.  After all, /usr/local is where newly installed things
should go anyways (at least canonically).

Coy

--
Coy Hile
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Resize /usr partition... Is it wise?
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:20:25 -0700

I made the mistake of making my /usr partition too small (~600 Mb) when
I created it.  As such, I am quickly running out of space on it.  I have
a 500 Mb /usr/local partition and two other 500 Mb partitions that
I want to delete and use the space to increase /usr to ~2 Gb.  Is this
wise, and what is the best way to do it?  I use Red Hat, so I plan on
using Disk Druid to do the dirty work.  I can back up my entire system,
so even if I have to do a complete reinstall, I can live with it, but
I'd prefer to just mess with the above partitions and keep my system as
close to its current state as possible.  Has anyone done anything
similar, and how did it go?

Thanks in advance,
Aaron Ginn

------------------------------

From: Tim Harrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Did SUSE 6.1 egcs lose C++???
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:42:02 GMT

Tony Houghton wrote:

> In <7nk7b6$1q9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > So just what is going on here?
> > Did C++ disappear from Suse 6.1 egcs package by accident?
> >
> > Where is __null, iostream.h, g++ ?
> > How can people compile KDE apps under Suse 6.1?
>
> Yes, I noticed that g++ was missing from SuSE 6.0, but I didn't have
> the other problems. I linked g++ to gcc which seemed to do the trick,
> I suppose gcc reads what command it was called with and works out
> whether you want to compile C or C++.

This is what I did but it only got me as far as the __null problem.
It doesn't seem to be a genuine c++ compiler in this state as it doesn't
know about things like iostream which should be in it's internal include
paths.

--

Tim Harrell

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Elias Penttilä" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: ASCII to speech???
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 01:07:33 +0300

Maybe this http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/ is interesting...

Elias

<7nkjc5$t8s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux!
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 08:05:30 +1000

Pdpsnarfa1 wrote:

> There is a New Linux Discussion Board at
> http://uc2.groupserve.com/commentlist.jhtml?dn=126.

I'm not trying to flame you but I find it really difficult to
understand why people keep on trying to create these (usually crappy)
web based forums in competition to the wonderful mechanism of usenet.
Usenet does this kind of thing much better than any web based service
can ever hope to do.

Erik
     Erik de Castro Lopo     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"... the industrial-capitalist mode of software production
was doomed to be outcompeted from the moment capitalism
began to create enough of a wealth surplus for many
programmers to live in a post-scarcity gift culture."
-- Eric S. Raymond

------------------------------

From: "Brian D. Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: repartitioning worries
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:03:43 -0400

I've got a 8GB hard drive with 2GB wasted in a Dos partition, which I
now realize is useless.  I'd like to trash that partition, and use it
under Linux, but I don't want to have to go through potential problems
of not being able to boot, seeing other partitions, etc.  If I just
delete the partition using fdisk and add another one in its place and
then reboot, will I be ok?  This is what fdisk says my partition table
is:

   Device Boot    Start        End    Blocks    Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1        255   2048256     c  Win95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda2           256       1025   6185025     5  Extended
/dev/hda5           256        258     24066    83  Linux
/dev/hda6           259        450   1542208+   83  Linux
/dev/hda7           451        578   1028128+   83  Linux
/dev/hda8           597        595    136521    83  Linux
/dev/hda9           596       1012   3349521    83  Linux
/dev/hda10         1013       1025    104391    83  Linux

I use LILO and pretty much the defaults from RH 6.0.  Thanks!

brian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vidar Andresen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: eth0 and 3Com 3c507 NIC card
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 23:09:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"J. Guy Stalnaker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Here's the skinny:
>
>Have the 3c507 driver compiled into the kernel.  On boot, card is
>detected correctly at IRQ 10, Mem 0300, etc.  With the card's native

To set the IRQ 10 to 'legacy isa' in bios would prevent pci-whatever
from posing a treath. 'Just to be on the safe side..'

>state alterred by its DOS configurator app so that ZeroWaitStates are
>disabled and Turbo mode is set to Standard, dhcpcd now communicates with
>our dhcp server [when it before did not] and, viola, we have a working
>network.  Sorta.  What happens is that nominal net traffic produces no
>problems.  If, however, I run a TCP/IP app (same results whether
>Netscape inside X or ncftp at the command prompt, for example),
>approximately 50-60 seconds after starting up and while the app is
>sending/retrieving data, this starts:
>
>eth0: Command unit stopped, status xxxx, restarting -OR-
>eth0: Rx unit stopped, status xxxx, restarting.
[...]
>Anyone have a clue what's going on?

Is there any help in the (/usr/doc/howto/) Ethernet-howto chapter:

          4. Performance Tips

             4.1 General Concepts
*            4.2 ISA Bus Speed
*            4.3 Setting the TCP Rx Window
             4.4 Increasing NFS performance

       4.3 Setting the TCP Rx Window
       [...]

        Recent versions of the route command have the ability to set
        the size of this window on the fly.  Usually it is only for
        the local net that this window must be reduced, as computers
        that are behind a couple of routers or gateways are `buffered'
        enough to not pose a problem.  An example usage would be:

                route add <whatever> ... window <win_size>

        where win_size is the size of the window you wish to use (in
        bytes).  An 8 bit 3c503 card on an ISA bus operating at a
        speed of 8MHz or less would work well with a window size of
        about 4kB. Too large a window will cause overruns and dropped
        packets, and a drastic reduction in ethernet throughput.  You
        can check the operating status by doing a cat /proc/net/dev
        which will display any dropped or overrun conditions that
        occurred.

Mvh Vidar Andresen

------------------------------

From: Joachim Metge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need opinions- how's S.u.S.E. 6.1
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:31:20 GMT

Michael Hasenstein wrote:
> Joachim Metge wrote:
> > the english and the german. The installation is a little better and
SuSE
> > comes with more software. But there are still some things missing.
>
> What is missing?

E.g., I would like to see lesstif, gle, asmail, and ical. Just recently I
wanted to install gnucash. It turned out that eperl, Xbaelin, XmHTML, swig,
readline, nana, and lesstif had to be installed before. I don't want to say
that all these packages are necessities but would be a nice add-on.

--
JoM

From: "Dan Snider" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: ObjectDomain 2.5 Released and Available for Download
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 17:12:22 -0400

The final release of ObjectDomain 2.5 is now available! See download
information below.

Object Domain Systems unveils ObjectDomain 2.5, the latest version of our
flagship UML modeling tool. Implemented in pure Java, ObjectDomain provides
a scalable, multi-platform, user extendable CASE tool that redefines the
expectations of object modeling software.

NEW FEATURES:

  - Support for all nine UML diagrams backed by a true UML meta-model
  - Better performance with smaller memory footprint
  - Version control and multi-user support via file-based repository
  - HTML documentation and glossary generation for user models
  - Advanced model searching with regular expression support
  - Full round-trip for Java
  - Various UI enhancements

  Note: Some features may not be available in the standard edition.

FEATURES PREVIOUSLY INCLUDED:

  - Code generation and reverse engineering for Java, C++, and Python
  - Powerful diagramming with auto-layout, bezier curves, color support,
    stereotype icons, and extensive control of presentation aspects using
    "styles"
  - Intuitive user interface with switchable look-and-feel and theme
    support. Open architecture allows additional language support, user
    customization and third-party add-ins
  - Python scripting support with integrated command console
  - Interface features include multi-perspective browsing, unlimited
    undo/redo, and a diagram thumbnail view that allows panning and zooming

QUANTITY DISCOUNTS

  In addition to our standard quantity discount, we are also offering a
  special discount or the purchase of multiple copies. For further
  information call 919-461-4904.

OBJECTDOMAIN 2.6 WILL BE A FREE UPGRADE!

  Although the exact feature set is not finalized, we have committed to
  providing 2.6 as a FREE upgrade to 2.5. Features we plan for 2.6 include:

  - Round trip engineering for C++ (currently have round trip
    engineering for Java)
  - Full import/export Rational Rose model files
  - Support for Java 2 (previously known as Java 1.2)
  - Enhanced printing
  - Updated alignment UML 1.3
  - Various UI enhancements
  - IDL generation

Learn more about ObjectDomain 2.5:

  http://www.objectdomain.com/domain

Download ObjectDomain 2.5:

  http://www.objectdomain.com/odEvalUser

The ObjectDomain Development Team

Object Domain Systems Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.objectdomain.com

------------------------------

From: bono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Anyone successful in compiling mod_auth_mysql in RedHat6.0?
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:23:01 -0700

hi:

Please reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have trouble doing the configure in the mod_auth_mysql...  Anyone who
has done that on the
Redhat series please help.  There is no mod_auth_mysql.so comes with the
apache in Redhat 6 / 5.2...
It asked me for the apache dir and says can't find the httpd.h.. I have
never seen this file in the Redhat system.
It is not in the place where stated in the book that talks about
apache.  I really don't understand why they completely
move those dir around.
I have no idea how can I get it to work with Redhat's apache...

Thank you,.

Bono

------------------------------

From: Konrad Mierendorff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 23:12:38 +0200

Gergo Barany wrote:

> In article <7nkjc5$t8s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >I am looking for voice recognition software with ASCII to speech
> >capabilities.  Also hardware and software for a video camera.
>
> ASCII to speech would be voice synthesis, not recognition. There is a
> package called rsynth which might do what you want.

There is another one called festival.

- Konrad

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. David Allen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: help on gcc
Date: 27 Jul 1999 23:21:14 GMT

In article <7nk1pm$n0i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        jievis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi, All:
>    When I try to compile a c files, I want gcc output a middle files in
> which the expression is computed and enumeration is also computed, the
> output files should be also .c format. So who can tell me the switcher?
>    Thanx in advance
>
> Jievis

I'm probably not alone in not having a clue what you're talking about.

Do you mean outputting the file AFTER it has been preprocessed?  I think thats
-E but I'm not sure check the manpage.  Man pages are good, because they keep
us from having to know what flags are.  Reference = good.
gcc -E myfile.c -o foobar outputs the file foobar which is what will actually
get compiled after all the #include, #define, #undef...etc stuff.

Do you mean outputting object files?  They're not .c files - you need the
-c flag though.  gcc -c myfile.c produces myfile.o which is object code for
myfile.c

Hope this helps somewhat.

--

David Allen
http://opop.nols.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ehlen)
Subject: Re: Cylinder number problem!?
Date: 27 Jul 1999 23:32:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown) writes:
> In article <7njum2$1b9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Stefan Ehlen wrote:
>>There's a lesson I've learned the hard way: NEVER use more then ONE fdisk
>>on ONE hard disk!! Simply don't do it, in very most cases you get
>>overlapping errors or partition can't be made bootable or are not visible
>>from all OS... it's a mere pain!
>>
> Hmm... interesting statement.  I've seen elsewhere (and always followed)
> the advice that you should create the partition for a particular OS with
> the fdisk that comes with that OS.
> In other words, use the fdisk that
> comes with Win to create that partition, but use the linux fdisk to create
> the linux partition.  (In fact, I couldn't get linux fdisk to recognize an
> "extended" partition created by Win98 fdisk (although it could have been
> the MaxBlast software that came with the disk).  I had to delete the
> partition and recreated with linux fdisk.)

Yes, that's the second theory. It makes sense, too, but in my experience,
it really doesn't work well. There are instructions around in which order
to create which partition with which fdisk, if you want to install several
OS. Before I switched over to partman, I used this method, too. I finally
got it working and used it for some month. Then I tried partman and it
complained about overlapping partitions and so on. The overlapping
partitions didn't cause any obvious trouble, but sometimes I had file
system errors reported during the 'automatic' e2fsck run. They disappeared
after repartitioning. There could be other reasons for this, but I do not
believe this. And I wondered what would happen if one of the overlapping
partitions gets really full...

I should mention that I made this experience when I had 3 OS: DOS, Linux
and OS/2.

At this time I decidet to find a fdisk which can handle all partitions
correctly. No "this partition should be bootable but isn't", no "when I
create this partition with A, then B can't add another", no rebooting, no
trial and error, less pain ;-)

> The fact that some disk software can't resist installing EZ-Drive
> complicates the situation.  If that remapping software gets installed
> on the disk, then it has to load each time the disk comes up in order
> for the disk locations to make sense.

I never used something like this. I think it's only for the brave :-)

CU
Stefan

------------------------------

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:09:26 -0700

Coy A Hile wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron Ginn  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I made the mistake of making my /usr partition too small (~600 Mb) when
> >I created it.  As such, I am quickly running out of space on it.  I have
> >a 500 Mb /usr/local partition and two other 500 Mb partitions that
> >I want to delete and use the space to increase /usr to ~2 Gb.  Is this
> >wise, and what is the best way to do it?  I use Red Hat, so I plan on
> >using Disk Druid to do the dirty work.  I can back up my entire system,
> >so even if I have to do a complete reinstall, I can live with it, but
> >I'd prefer to just mess with the above partitions and keep my system as
> >close to its current state as possible.  Has anyone done anything
> >similar, and how did it go?
> >
> Why not keep /usr the same size and addd these new partitions to make
> /usr/local larger.  After all, /usr/local is where newly installed things
> should go anyways (at least canonically).
>
> Coy

The problem is that most Red Hat rpm files install into /usr not
/usr/local.  I still have plenty of room in /usr/local for stuff that will
go there, but I really need to make /usr bigger.

Aaron

------------------------------

From: "BunBi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: egc/egc++
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:35:06 -0400

Where can I find the source code for egc/egc++ distribution?  I went to
prep.mit.edu and only found gcc-2.8.1.

PS. Please remove 4m from the reply address should you decide to reply.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:16:21 -0500
From: Jordan Bettis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: CIA assassinations

Michael Powe wrote:

>     >>>>>>> "Arkadiusz" == Arkadiusz Danilecki
>     >>>>>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>     Arkadiusz> An opportunity to make your life better is quite
>     Arkadiusz> different to born as rich... I mean my opinion is you
>     Arkadiusz> make your money yourself - everything is ok, but if you
>     Arkadiusz> get money only because you born in wealth family sth is
>     Arkadiusz> unfair.  It's not ok that some ppl can't even dream
>
>     >>  "Inherited wealth is a stinking fish."  -- Andrew Carnegie, in
>     >> his time one of the wealthiest men in the world
>
>     Jim> of course, you know that he didn't inherit it, right?
>
> Right.  And his heirs sharply disagreed with his theory, too.  ;-)

Carnage philanthropized most of his money away. I don't think his heirs
got too much of it.

--
Jordan Bettis   BTW: ^Omit the OMIT ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
"Suppose I was a congressman, and suppose I was an idiot, but I repeat

------------------------------

From: Ilyas Guennoun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2 Nics on 1 PC
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 18:49:58 +0000

Kalle Wisch a écrit :

> Help.
>
> We are trying to configure a Firewall and we have 2 Network Cards running.
> Each in a different segment of the Net and different domains.
> They are both working, but the ping answering times are very bad.
> The routing seems to be wrong...
> How to configure?
which network is connected to the net?
there are two solutions.
1) your routing tables are not correct . in this case a ping mesage
can go untill japan and return.
2) the bridge between the two networks is down or overused.