From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (brian moore)
Subject: Re: QUESTION!
Date: 2 Apr 2000 23:17:50 GMT

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 23:16:09 +0100,
 Lion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Johan Kullstam
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
> >"Jeffrey S. Kline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >> Another one who probably wants to pirate and play all those Windoz games
> >> under something he doesn't want to pay for...
> >
> >how can you avoid paying for windows?  it's pre-installed everywhere.
> >(yes, i know you can build your own.  however you have to go out of
> >your way to avoid it.)
>
> You can buy systems without windoze. They are advertised, but mainly
> cheapo ones.

Oh, I wouldn't say "cheapo".

The systems made by places like ASL (http://www.aslab.com/), for
example, are extremely high quality and work much better than the "brand
name" systems that come with Windows.  From looking around at VA Linux's
site (http://www.valinux.com/) or Penguin Computing's site
(http://www.penguincomputing.com/), they seem to be doing much the same
thing: doing their homework on which motherboards are good (it is scary
how much of a difference a decent motherboard makes), matching it to a
high quality video card, disk drive, etc.

The systems are substantially cheaper than the "server" machines from
the big guys, but they're not exactly "cheapo".  High quality components
cost more than the sort of "motherboard of the day!" in an emachine.

None of the machines above come with Windows.  Some will install it if
you pay them more.

Pick up a copy of Linux Journal and you'll see lots of high quality (not
"cheapo") systems that don't come with Windows.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting

------------------------------

From: Jim Fuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: redhat 6.1 vs PostgreSql
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 17:24:35 -0600

Kenny Leong wrote:

> I have a Linux Redhat 6.1 box installed as Server option. Can anyone
> tell/point me what to do next(point some link to linux guide/docs would be
> better)? In most documentation always mention the path '/usr/local/pgsql'
> but when I check it wasn't there by default Redhat 6.1 installation. What
> should I do?

First, find out which version you have.  You can do "rpm -q postgresql"
or you can look in /usr/doc for a "postgresql-x.y.z" directory.  In
either case, cd to that directory (on my 6.2, it's
/usr/doc/postgresql-6.5.3).  Peruse README.rpm, which, in part, says (on
my system):

"
However, the RPM's install the files like this:
Executables:            /usr/bin
Libaries:               /usr/lib
Documentation:          /usr/docs/postgresql-6.5.3
Contrib:                /usr/docs/postgresql-6.5.3/contrib
Source:                 not installed
Data:                   /var/lib/pgsql
Templates:              /usr/lib/pgsql
Procedural Languages:   /usr/lib/pgsql
Regression Tests:       /usr/lib/pgsql/test/regress
TCL client docs:        /usr/docs/postgresql-tcl-6.5.3
Development Headers:    /usr/include/pgsql
"
--
Jim Fuller

------------------------------

From: "Tom Hoffmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommendations Please
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 23:40:33 GMT

Expensive???  I paid $3.49 for RedHat 6.1 from cheapbytes.  The postage
($5.00) cost me more than the Linux.

------------------------------

From: Jim Fuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 17:48:42 -0600

Tom Hoffmann wrote:

> Expensive???  I paid $3.49 for RedHat 6.1 from cheapbytes.  The postage
> ($5.00) cost me more than the Linux.

I went from 6.1 to 6.2 via ftp, the 3rd upgrade that I have done via
ftp.  It took about 4 hours, probably boosted me over my bandwidth
quota, which means that I'll have to pay another $1.00 to my ISP this
month, and worked almost perfectly.  I say "almost" because it changed
my .Xdefaults to ugly stuff.

--
Jim Fuller

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cherry)
Subject: Missing directory on Kodak PhotoCD
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 23:52:45 GMT

I have a Kodak Photo CD and I'm trying to use it with Gimp and XHpcd.
Unfortunately can not find the images when their loaded under Linux.
Yet when I load the CD under Win95 I find them under the Pictures
directory. What do I need to do to get them to show up under a Linux
mount?

--
Linux Home Automation           Neil Cherry             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://members.home.net/ncherry                         (Text only)

------------------------------

From: "Fred W. Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Mandrake 7 hangs on boot
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 20:36:19 -0400

For no apparent reason, Mandrake 7 hangs on the boot process
after the command "mount -n -o remount, rw /" in the file
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.  The following command of that file is
not executed - "mount -f -t proc /proc/proc."

After booting with a resue disk and e2fsck -f -v was done on
all filesystems and errors cleared.  Still hangs at the same
point.

Appreciate any suggestions.  Anyone else have this problem?

TIA

F. Snyder

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Paging Software Recommendations
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 00:25:52 GMT

Hi guys,

I am pretty new to linux. But have been programming a long time.
I am writing some linux software and find the need to send a page.  It
can be just a plain numeric page.  But alpha numeric would be even
better.  Its prefereable to find something that will work directly with
a modem on the linux box.  It can be comand line oriented or have a
standard API.

Please post any sugestions. And hopefully a place where I can find them.

Thanks,
Chris Lopeman
Object Link Inc.

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Dual-booting between DOS/Win and Linux
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 23:38:41 GMT

Peter T. Breuer writes:
> I dread to think how much a complete debian would be.

There is no such animal: some packages conflict with others.  What Debian
has instead is 'tasks': virtual packages that depend on and therefore pull
in a related set of packages that the maintainer believes are useful for
a particular task.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fatal signal 11
Date: 02 Apr 2000 17:06:35 -0700

------------------------------

From: "Eddy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: about different rpm type
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 08:57:37 +0800

As I am now using PIII 600EB, does it mean that I can use either use i386,
i586 and noarch ?

Eddy

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 01:05:14 GMT

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 08:57:37 +0800, Eddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>As I am now using PIII 600EB, does it mean that I can use either use
>i386, i586 and noarch ?

You can use 386, 586 or preferably for you, 686. noarch is non-compiled
stuff like scripts, docs, etc.

386=any intel
586=Pentium class or better
686=PII/PIII

Never could remember where/how AMD and Cyrix fit in this. There is some
info in the kernel docs under /usr/src/linux.

>Alexander K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> eddy wrote:
>> >
>> > In the name of rpm package, I always i386, i586, and noarch. what's
>> > the different between them. And I am using RH6.1 in Intel PC, which
>> > one should I use ?
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> well, what kind of Intel-cpu is it? (eg 486, PIII, PII...)

--
Hal B

From: "SEATTLE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Want more on Linux..Try Here
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 01:15:45 GMT

http://home.att.net/~aubreyb/Linux.html

--
You are welcome to visit our Home Page:

Links For:---Linux- Create Your Own PWP,Tutorials, Emoticons,
Acronyms,Internet Terms, Modem Help, Sites For  Kids, Family, Magazines On
Line,
Seniors, Women, Health/ Medicines, Herbs ,Windows '95/ '98 Tutorials,Opera,
Toll Free #s, PHP , How To Avoid Spam & More

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RedHat 6.0 and 17Gb hard disk
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 01:13:04 GMT

I have a 17Gb hard disk in FAT32 format. Is there an update to Linux to
enable it to see the 17Gb partition as a whole? Where can I get such a
thing?

From: A Guy Called Tyketto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VIRUS WARNING !!!!!
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 01:28:28 GMT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk)
Subject: Re: setuid-root does not work on lprm ?
Date: 3 Apr 2000 01:31:21 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I´ve set a program to suid=root and when I run it as root it is running
>fine, but when running as user, it doesnt work ! shouldnt it be the same ?
>
>I´m talking about the lprm-programm:
>
>[root]# ls -l lprm
>-rwsr-sr-x   1 root     root        14732 Oct  2  1998 lprm
>
>[user]$ lprm 65
>cfA718Aa02965: Permission denied
>
>[root]# lprm 65
>dfA718Aa02965 dequeued
>cfA718Aa02965 dequeued
>
>how can it be ?

Because lprm has out-smarted you, so to speak.  The lprm is designed to be
setuid root, but it does its own permission checking inside to ensure that
non-root users can only remove their own jobs.  Thus you cannot fool it
into letting everyone delete any job, just by changing the permissions on it.

------------------------------

From: Shadow Hunter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 21:29:43 -0400

I paid $0.89 for Redhat 6.2 yesterday from Cheapbytes not to mention I
had the send me some of their free closeouts like NetBSD, OpenBSD,
FreeBSD and Slackware 3.5. Figured what the heck since they were free
and shipping was $5 no matter which way you looked at it. :)

Shadow Hunter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Paging Software Recommendations
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 01:40:29 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: better.  Its prefereable to find something that will work directly with
: a modem on the linux box.  It can be comand line oriented or have a
: standard API.

http://www.qpage.org/

At work we use it under HPUX, and it works quite well, the web site
says that it supports Linux, Solaris, AIX, and others as well.

--
Jim Buchanan        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================

From: Crash Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Can't believe someone hasn't seen this!
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 21:42:14 -0400

==============D47234725861AF2F470D6A28

Patricia,

Thank you for your response.  I've read a number of your posts recently to
folks in need in these newsgroups.  I'd like to applaude you for your
patience and politeness.  It's nice to encounter folks out here that have a

genuine respect for others.   Unfortunately, there are alot of rude
individuals responding to posts and that certainly sours the impressions of

those who are simply exploring the world of Linux.

I hope soon, I can give back to the Linux community and share some of my
insights and help others as well.  I'm just trying to get my own little
world here setup.   I'm a very very long time user (part of that time an
SA) of Unix, so I'm not in the least bit a newbie.  I'm eager to help.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!!
chris

begin:vcard