From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can I use my Conexant 10/100 ethernet card?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:09:27 -0500

I'm back...now with more information.  My Presario 1700T notebook has a
MiniPCI integrated ethernet card.  I have found out it has a Conexant
chipset (according to Compaq).  It looks to me like it isn't supported for
linux (I'm running RH 6.2), but if someone knows otherwise, could you please
let me know?

Thanks,
Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: Re: FreeDialup for Linux?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:18:25 -0000

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 11:44:03 +1100, Julian Bordas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You do get free dial up ISP's that use a windows dial up programme This
>doubles as an advert downloader.  I have been unable to connect to this
>via wine under linux.

Most of the free ISPs hide the "real" login info however there are utilities
out there (sorry I don't know the names) that will watch what the dialer
sends when logging in so you can plug it into the normal Windows dial up
networking tool and bypass the "special" dialer and it's banner adds.  I
don't see any reason you couldn't put that same info. into pppconfig or
whatever you use in Linux and get a connection.  Of course, sooner or later
they will probably find out eventually so you might want to look over the
terms of service you agreed to when you signed up for the service just to
see what penalties might await you.

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Is this hard drive dead?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:14:28 GMT

> SIOCSIFADDR: no such device
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: no such device
> SIOCADDRT: no such device
> Initialization of BusLogic failed.

Meaningless, ignore.

> OK, then I try mount /dev/hda. It says:
> "can't find /dev/hda in /etc/mtab or /etc/fstab."

Use:

    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt

-Tom

From: "AndyW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: Lan user log
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:26:17 -0000

"Regent Linus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8uuhef$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Thanks
>
> I have checked the related documents and I could set Samba to
> log the user connecting time from the window clients to Samba.
>
> Actually what I want to log is the time that window users
> login to the window machines, is it still possible? My boss
> want me to a attendant log by PCs' login time.

One way to get Samba to do this would be to use the "Map Network Drive"
feature in Windows Explorer to show the Samba share as a drive letter in
Windows, and tick the "reconnect at logon" box.

If you look in /var/log/samba/log.<username> you'll see it records the
relevant information.

Writing a script to extract it and report on each user's logon/logoff times
shouldn't be too difficult, but it's beyond the scope of this reply :-)

HTH
Andy

------------------------------

From: Tim Banner <tim.banner*NOSPAM*@btinternet.com>
Subject: Bloatware
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:52:52 +0000

I sent this message to alt.linux.sux along with another earlier today
(praising), thought I'd post it here too.  I've not cross posted as I doubt
you would be interested in responses from that group ;)

Don't get me wrong, I don't love or hate Linux, Windows 9x/NT/00 or NetWare.
I use all on a daily basis (but Linux mainly), all have their strong and
weak points.  This is only a comment about Linux based upon the "Windows
Bloatware" argument.  I'm a regular user of Linux at home and work for which
I'm grateful that it is "Bloated" with free software.

Reading my latest addition of Linux Format I am again confronted with the
argument that Linux is great and Windows is not, because Windows is
Bloatware.  Let's face it, the Linux kernel is highly configurable to say
the least, allowing users to squeeze every last bit of performance out of
their P100 with 16MBs RAM.

Before I continue, yes I know Linux describes the kernel, most of the tools
provided are written by the good chaps running the GNU project, and apps are
after all, just that.  Linux is the word we use to describe the whole
system, the Linux kernel can be configured to be less bloated than Windows.
But what about the Linux system on the whole?

I purchased a Linux distro just as I did with Windows 9x.  Windows came with
an GUI, a limited console, basic networking, a few multimedia apps, basic
text editors and an Internet Explorer, a total of about 200-250MB's.  Just
enough to get going, but not much else.  My Linux distro, SuSE 6.4 came with
over 1500 apps, 6CD's which comes to a rather impressive 4-5GB's.  Where
does the Linux newbie start with this bewildering array of apps?  After a
bit of experience, and a few re-installs I've now got it down to a Linux
console (100-200MBs), X-Windows Server (50-100MBs), a few windows managers,
KDE 2 and Gnome (ok I know I just need the QT and GTK+ toolkits but I'm
trying to just make sure I'll just get the apps working) a couple of hundred
more MB's, networking apps, source code for the kernel so I can recompile, a
compiler and libraries for compiling (SuSE says 450MB's!) which lets face
it, Linux would be useless without and finally the day to day apps and games
which in fairness should not be counted (1GB).  These I consider the basics
of my Linux system just to run.  A basic Linux set-up weighs in at 1-2GB's,
which is sizably larger than the 250MB's of Windows.  Yes I know you get so
much more, but I'm referring to a basic running system on which you can
install further apps.  Since a distro is the only feasible way of a newbie
getting Linux does this not make the Linux OS Bloatware?

OK my next concern is what I found my Linux box running.  It took me by
surprise to see that (back in my less experienced days) my Linux box at home
was acting as a web server, ftp server and telnet server.  I have yet to
find out what other interesting services I'm offering the web.  I didn't
remember setting these services up or asking them to run.  I may have asked
to install the files to run at a later date.  It seems that I need to find a
port scanner to find out what ports are open and offering services on a home
workstation.  The only worry I remember having with my Windows box was
ensuring that I didn't have file and print sharing enabled on the dial-up.
How many Red-Hat/SuSE/Linux users out there are unknowingly offering an
array of interesting services to the internet?  Is this not Bloatware?

Now I'm more familiar with the system it's nice to know I don't have to
invest thousands of pounds to purchase an office suite, powerful database
engine, C++, Fortran (don't ask) and Java development environment, numerous
servers etc.
--
Tim Banner - tim.banner*NOSPAM*@btinternet.com
Please remove the *NOSPAM* from the e-mail address above if you wish to

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 23:12:43 -0000

On 16 Nov 2000 08:06:48 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have an old 486 I use for my play
>computer. Tonight when I went to boot it
>up, it claims there's no hard drive
>installed. (there is)
>
>I went into the BIOS and the BIOS thinks
>I have no hard drive at all.

Your BIOS should have some sort of auto detect facility.  If it can't see
the drive then it probably is dead.  With the case open, see if you can hear
the drive spinning up (you could try putting your hand on the drive if you
can reach it).  If it seems to be trying to spin up but then stopping and
trying again then it's either dead or dying.  If this is the case it's
possible to get it spun up one last time to get your data off but don't
count on it.

>I booted from tomsrtbt floppy, and it
>will boot, but v-e-r-y slowly. I read the
>boot messages from toms, and they include
>that it correctly detects hda as a Quantum
>something-or-other, and correctly reports
>the partitions as hda: hda1.

That's at least encouraging, the drive electronics are working at least
somewhat.

>The rest of the boot messages look normal,
>but it says the following: (don't know
>if this means anything or not)
>
>SIOCSIFADDR: no such device
>SIOCSIFNETMASK: no such device
>SIOCADDRT: no such device

Sounds like it's trying to assign an ip address to an ethernet card that
isn't installed or who's module hasn't been loaded.  Harmless for now.

>Initialization of BusLogic failed.

BusLogic is a brand name.  Your boot disk probably contains drivers for one
or more devices that you don't own.  Also harmless unless you really do have
a BusLogic adaptor in your computer.

>OK, then I try mount /dev/hda. It says:
>"can't find /dev/hda in /etc/mtab or /etc/fstab."
>
>I look at /etc/mtab and it has:
>/dev/ram0 / minix rw 0 0
>none /proc proc rw 0 0
>/dev/ram1 /usr minix rw 0 0
>/dev/ram3 /tmp minix rw 0 0
>
>OK, it's not using the hard drive.

Right, the /etc/fstab file on your boot floppy doesn't have an entry for your
hard disk so Linux doesn't know where to mount it.  Also you need to specify
which partition on /dev/hda to mount.  Something like the following should
work:

mkdir /mnt2
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt2

Now the first partition on your hard drive should be mounted under the /mnt2
directory.  If you have Linux installed on a different partition then you
might have to use /dev/hda2 etc.

>If the bootup messages indicate the hd is
>correctly detected, but the hd does not seem
>to work, is the hd the problem? or what? Thanks
>for any insights.

It sounds to me like it's either completely dead or maybe the boot sector
has just gotten damaged.  If after trying to mount the drive, you get a
bunch of "ide timeout" or similar messages then probably the drive isn't
even spinning up properly.  If it mounts and you can read data from it then
it's probably mechanically ok.

--
Ray

------------------------------

Subject: Re: cannot modify file by root!!!
From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 23:45:21 GMT

Hello World <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> did eloquently scribble:
> with permission 0644 and owned by root, i cannot modify or delete the file
> with the root account ........ keep saying that permission denied. can
> anyone suggest and reason of this and how can i solve this?

Check out the lsattr and chattr commands.

It is also possible that your filesystem got corrupted.

Vilmos

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: compile ddd on RH7.0? where get "code crusader" source?
From: Claudio Bley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 17 Nov 2000 01:40:13 +0100

zhou <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi, all:
>
> "ddd+code crusader" seems a good combination for development work on
> Linux.
> I recently updated to RH7.0 from RH6.2. My ddd has problems now. It
> seems used old "libstdc++-libc" some stuff.
> I downloaded the latest ddd source from gnu site. But the compilation is
> not successful!
> I rely on DDD to get work done.
> Anyone give me some clues to get ddd work on RH7.0?
>
> By the way, I try to get the source of "code crusader" and compile it on
> RH7.0.
> any one know where get the source of "code crusader"?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Joe

Have a look at: http://www.newplanetsoftware.com/jcc/

What errors do you get if you try to compile ddd? Maybe you should
upgrade your compiler? (I doubt that downgrading will work since AFAIK
the object code the compiler produces is incompatible with former versions,
albeit downgrading would be certainly better)

Note that gcc-2.96 is just a development version with the suspicious name
"2.96", it is no release, so that if you upgrade you'll get also just a
development version but as I've expierenced it solves some problems (e.g.
'internal compiler' errors and the like..)

Maybe look for this at http://www.codesourcery.com/gcc-snapshots.html as they
are providing recent development versions of GCC for x86 GNU/Linux systems.

HTH
Claudio
--
Yes, God had a deadline. So he wrote it all in Lisp.

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XFS does not start automatically.
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 01:02:38 GMT

Hi,
    I am using Redhat 6.1 with xfs version 3.3.5-3. XFS will not
start automatically, although in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d and rc5.d it
is listed as S90xfs. I can start it manually, nevertheless.
How to get it to start automatically again and why not working now?

                                                            Thanks

Mike

------------------------------

From: "Regent Linus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 09:22:11 +0800

Thanks, I think I could do it.
Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Responsiveness under X
Date: 17 Nov 2000 01:30:27 GMT

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:14:01 +0000, John English wrote:
>On my system (PIII 450MHz, 512M RAM, Red Hat 6.2), when I run
>something CPU-intensive like gzipping a couple of hundred megs,
>the responsiveness goes way down -- the response to pressing a
>key or clicking the mouse on a menu takes a couple of seconds.
>Looking at what's happening, I see gzip is using about 96% of
>the processor time, everything's in memory and there's no swapping.
>
>Can anyone suggest how I can fix this? I would have expected that
>X would be handling incoming interrupts at a fairly high priority
>since the X server is presumably I/O bound, but it doesn't seem
>to be happening!

If you check with ps or top, you'll most likely find that X is running
at priority 0, same as most normal processes.[0]  This is deliberate.
Unix is a multi-user system, so one process cannot hog the entire
machine, but the scheduler tries to distribute process time evenly.
Trouble is, yanking the mouse around and moving/updating windows tends
to be a "bursty" operation, where X needs the processor a lot for one
timeslice and hardly at all for the next N timeslices.

I'd take the aforementioned priority level and try to use it to your
advantage.  It *is* possible to run X at priority -10, giving greater
responsiveness in all cases, but don't do that if there are other users
on your machine!  A better option would be to run your big
compute-intensive jobs at priority +10.  gcc, by default, does compiles
at low priority so that interactive jobs don't get hosed.

[0] This isn't entirely true, as X dynamically manipulates the
priorities of local X apps to improve performance.  A sysadmin friend of
mine said it best:  "X does things to your processes that you really
don't want to know about."

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Veale')
Subject: Re: sail game modified for linux
Date: 16 Nov 2000 18:24:44 -0700

Russell Marks <russell.marks@spam^H^H^H^Hntlworld.com> writes:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Veale') wrote:

>> I'm looking for a version of the old curses based game, sail, that has
>> been modified to run under Linux.
>[...]
>> If anyone has modified sources or differences or knows where they
>> might be, I'd appreciate a reference.

>A version that runs on Linux is included in the `bsdgames' package,
>which should be pretty easy to find.

>-Rus.

Thanks.  Bill Lash sent me a URL to that.  Actually, all the
corrupted sources that I had found claimed to be the bsdgames
package, but Bill's reference was in a different format.

I still had to do some hacking to get it to work, but it is working
now.  (In particular, I had to use the Makefile from one of the other
links I had already found, since the Makefile included with the
bsdgames assumed some template Makefile would exist.)

Oh, for anyone interested the URL is:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/games/bsd-games-2.11.tar.gz

--
Anthony Veale'          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Home Alone 4-- Hardly Working

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux on IBM A20p or A21p laptop
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 01:28:18 GMT

In article <LuAQ5.546$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Tauno Voipio" wrote:
> Does anybody know, whether it is possible to
install Linux on IBM A20p or
> A21p laptops?
>
> Tauno Voipio

Yes, I have installed Redhat 7.0 on a A21p. There
are two problems I have found:

1) Booting off of the floppy is *slow*. It takes
30+ seconds.

2) I had to pick "Customize X Install" and set
the default resolution to 800x600.

adam...

From: Cristian <c{ristian}h{umberto}[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp dialup does not work
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 01:46:02 GMT

> that the PPP link is not there. Has anyone had this problem or know
> what the problem might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I changed from 2.2.14 to 2.2.17 and suffered the same. This happens for
kernels >2.2.14. I guess Slackware 7.1 uses 2.2.16.
In the file /usr/src/linux/include/linux/tty.h look for

struct tty_struct{
        struct wait_queue *write_wait;
        struct wait_queue *read_wait;
        struct wait_queue *poll_wait;
};

and move ONLY the poll line to the end of the block, so that it looks

struct tty_struct{
        struct wait_queue *write_wait;
        struct wait_queue *read_wait;
        struct wait_queue *poll_wait;
};

I read somewhere that this should work, and it did for me. Don't have a
clue why (don't really care). Make a backup of tty.h before changing
anything. Of course, do at your own risk. Good luck,

C.

------------------------------

From: Cristian <c{ristian}h{umberto}[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 01:57:13 GMT

And recompile the kernel, of course.

C.

------------------------------

From: "Sam Tsui" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.perl.misc,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.networking,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: Re: about .htaccess
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:00:03 +0800

Thank you for your reply.

> I would advise looking into other methods of authentication which are more
> portable and generally better and securer than htaccess.

May I ask you what other methods of authentication you usually use?

From: "Joe Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CA-Cupertino-Internet Software Development Positions...
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:07:36 -0800

Pivia, Inc. - Cupertino, California:
http://www.pivia.com

The biggest product issues facing internet websites today are improving
Quality of Services (a.k.a., "speed") and providing a more personalized and
relevant user experience. Until now pushing the boundary along one of these
dimensions meant compromising on the other.

Pivia is focused on solving this speed versus personalization conundrum. If
you like working on cutting-edge platform technology that addresses
strategic issues faced in content management, content distribution and
application hosting, then come talk to us.

Pivia-ites are intensely focused on building valuable products and services.
The office is casual and collegial, with afternoons often punctuated with
rather raucous foosball games. The Company's backers include Sutter Hill
Ventures, Comdisco, Draper Richards and several prominent angels.

Please visit http://www.pivia.com for more information.  Additional
information available at
http://bayarea.profile.techies.com/Companies/M-r/Pivia/Index.shtml