Linux-Misc Digest #372, Volume #26               Wed, 22 Nov 00 21:13:03 EST

Contents:
  IE for Unix Help Page (Hal Burgiss)
  To all Linux Printing Gurus -- Interesting Problem! ("Steven")
  Re: Blackbox cycle possible? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Starting an x session manually ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: New user ("Jim")
  Re: Starting an x session manually (Tom Hoffmann)
  Re: wu-ftp group permissions help (ljb)
  Re: NFS Solaris Server - Linux Client (Subha Pindiproli)
  Linux / uClinux on Palm Vx ? (Arctic Storm)
  Re: Software RAID (Warren Young)
  Re: New user (Robert Kiesling)
  Re: Netscape 6 ("Horst Simon")
  Re: Linux / uClinux on Palm Vx ? (Peter da Silva)
  Re: NFS Solaris Server - Linux Client (Robert Kiesling)
  WordPerfect 8 defaults ("G Pollack")
  Re: access denied on HP2100TN printer ("James Gray")
  Re: To all Linux Printing Gurus -- Interesting Problem! (Robert Heller)
  Re: Starting an x session manually (Robert Heller)
  Hard drive partition problem ("Chia Ah Tee, Joseph")
  Re: kernel panic, init not found (Andy Smith)
  want a NIC + RH7.0? Read me! (Peter Bismuti)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: IE for Unix Help Page
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:32:24 GMT

http://support.microsoft.com/support/IE/IEUnix/howto/default.asp

--
Hal B

From: "Steven" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: To all Linux Printing Gurus -- Interesting Problem!
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:45:32 GMT

Ok, here is the problem.

I have 2 files in the /etc directory on a Linux RedHat 6.2 server.  One is
named "test.prn", the other "test2.prn".  They both are the same size, both
the exact same information.  The difference in the 2 are that one
(test2.prn) was created via a Unix/Linux based accounting package and the
other (test.prn) was made in vi and the opened in a programming editor
through Samba and the contents of the first one (test2.prn) pasted in.  So
they both show as 801 bytes, they both have the same permissions, owner, and
group, and they are both in the same directory.  So now...  why when I print
the first one via lpr (lpr -Ppos1prn test.prn), it prints perfectly with all
the line feeds and everything, but when I print the second one
(lpr -Ppos1prn test2.prn) does it totally ignore the line feeds and prints
everything right on top of each other on one line!?  Here is the layout...

test.prn - created in vi and contents pasted in, root owner, root
group, -rw-rw-rw- permissions.
test2.prn - created via the accounting package, originally a user owner and
group but has been changed to a root owner and group, -rw-rw-rw-
permissions.

Both are being sent to a Epson TM-U200D receipt print that is hanging off a
Windows 95/98 machine and I'm going through the servers lpd to the Samba
server and out to the share on the computer.

Things already checked:

1. Checked and rechecked printcap file.
2. Checked lpr command line swtiches.
3. Checked with the printer on 2 different computers, one Win95, one Win98
4. Checked file format in a programming editor via straight text and in hex

Anyone have any ideas on what I can check?

Steven Yarbrough
Yarbrough's Music, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Blackbox cycle possible?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:14:48 GMT

Thanks! mucho appreciato. guess I should have checked freshmeat first.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Starting an x session manually
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:11:26 GMT

How do you start an X session from the command line? For example, to
launch just the x server with an xterm. I'm guessing something like
XFree86 (something). I just don't know the format. And is there a man
page for this specifically? I must be missing it.

From: "Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New user
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 00:13:46 +0100

In article <kbtS5.2557$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> Hello. I'm new to linux and I have a few doubts. I have noticed a few
> comp.os.linux.* groups. Which one would be the best for posting new
> users questions?
>
> Thanks in advance

Andre,

It really depends on what distro your running (i.e. RedHat, Mandrake,
Caldera, etc.) and what subject area your question covers (i.e.
networking, security, X windows, installation, etc).  For questions
regarding specific distributions your better off posting to that distro's
news group.  Example:

linux.redhat.install
alt.os.linux.mandrake

For general questions for specific area's post to:

comp.os.linux.hardware
comp.os.linux.networking
comp.os.linux.security
comp.os.linux.setup
comp.os.linux.x
comp.os.linux.misc

Hope this helps.

Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Hoffmann)
Subject: Re: Starting an x session manually
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:28:19 GMT

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:11:26 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>How do you start an X session from the command line? For example, to
>launch just the x server with an xterm. I'm guessing something like
>XFree86 (something). I just don't know the format. And is there a man
>page for this specifically? I must be missing it.

startx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ljb)
Subject: Re: wu-ftp group permissions help
Date: 22 Nov 2000 23:28:07 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>ljb wrote:
>> Also if they are uploading via FTP, make sure FTP gets the umask 002 too.
>
>How?  Where can umask be set so wu-ftp will use it?

You can set it in /etc/inetd.conf by adding the -u option to the
line which starts ftpd, so it looks something like:
    ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd wu.ftpd -l -i -a -u 002

Or, probably better, use the "defumask" command in the configuration
file /etc/ftpaccess, like: "defumask 002"

------------------------------

From: Subha Pindiproli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NFS Solaris Server - Linux Client
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:30:04 -0000

Could you kindly elaborate on what needs to go into /etc/exports and
/etc/fstab, from /etc/dfs/dfstab. Looks like the info in /etc/dfs/dfstab as
per your suggestion is being divided into the above 2 files.

One more thing, i don't plan to export any of my file systems. So, if that
is the case what needs to be done on my end..

thanks
Subha

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Subject: Linux / uClinux on Palm Vx ?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:51:54 GMT

Linux / uClinux on Palm Vx ?
I read somewhere that uClinux allows Linux kernel 2.0 on Palm devices,
including Palm Vx. Is this correct? I visited the uClinux web site for
instructions, but there was none. There was a feable attempt at creating
a FAQ, but they failed miserably; a sad disappointment. Has anyone
successfully installed uCliux on a Palm deviced? Specifically, Palm Vx?
How did you do it? Can you restore Palm OS afterwards? What can you do
on it? Can you install it onto an emulator for testing?
Thanks.

=====

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 16:59:49 -0700
From: Warren Young <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Software RAID

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> First let me say I know NOTHING about software RAID in Linux.

It was not necessary to make this statement.  It is self-evident.

> That said, I have a server with Software RAID on a SUN running Solaris,
> and I would never inflict Software RAID on another machine as long as I
> live.  Hardware RAID can hide a lot of things from the user, and be just
> about as 'fast' as an individual disk.  Software RAID is going to slow
> your disk writes, well REALLY BAD.

Your mistake is in applying your Solaris experience to Linux, which is
always a mistake.  (Speaking as one who has used Solaris' cousin
UnixWare for years.)

Take it from one who has actually done benchmarks of software vs.
low-end hardware RAID (the Adaptec 2100S): Linux's software RAID is
impressively fast.  In many cases, it's much faster than the hardware
RAID.  (In particular, RAID 0 is much faster in software.)

Part of this is no doubt because my system has a 500 MHz processor and
the RAID card only has a 66 MHz (?) processor.  In the bad old days of
double-digit main CPUs, hardware RAID might have done better against
software RAID.

Let's also not forget that people call it "Slowaris" for a reason...
--
= Warren -- ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m

------------------------------

From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 00:22:21 GMT

"Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In article <kbtS5.2557$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:
>
> > Hello. I'm new to linux and I have a few doubts. I have noticed a few
> > comp.os.linux.* groups. Which one would be the best for posting new
> > users questions?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> Andre,
>
> It really depends on what distro your running (i.e. RedHat, Mandrake,
> Caldera, etc.) and what subject area your question covers (i.e.
> networking, security, X windows, installation, etc).  For questions
> regarding specific distributions your better off posting to that distro's
> news group.  Example:
>
> linux.redhat.install
> alt.os.linux.mandrake
>
> For general questions for specific area's post to:
>
> comp.os.linux.hardware
> comp.os.linux.networking
> comp.os.linux.security
> comp.os.linux.setup
> comp.os.linux.x
> comp.os.linux.misc

Apologies for interrupting.  The above is correct, _after_ you have
tried other resources, namely http://www.linuxdoc.org/.  Also, the alt
hierarchy groups change rapidly, and not everyone has access to them
from their News server.  So you won't necessarily be off-topic in the
comp.os groups.

From: "Horst Simon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape 6
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 11:27:12 +1100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Robert Wiegand"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If you tried out Netscape 6 for Linux what did you think of it.
>
> I tried to use it and had lots of problems. Is it something I did or is
> this thing really that buggy?

I am using Netscape 6 and the only complaints at the moment are, that it
is very slow in starting up, about the same as Staroffice. The only
plugin I got working is flash, when I tried to use plugger, Netscape
won't start.

Regards,
Horst Simon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Subject: Re: Linux / uClinux on Palm Vx ?
Date: 23 Nov 2000 00:16:56 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Arctic Storm  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>How did you do it? Can you restore Palm OS afterwards? What can you do
>on it? Can you install it onto an emulator for testing?

It's really only useful in the emulator, and as a technology demonstration.
It's a one-way install, once it's done you can't go back to Palm-OS.

http://www.oski.co.kr/

--
Rev. Peter da Silva, ULC.                                       WWFD?

"Be conservative in what you generate, and liberal in what you accept"
        -- Matthew 10:16 (l.trans)

------------------------------

From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 00:33:29 GMT

Subha Pindiproli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Could you kindly elaborate on what needs to go into /etc/exports and
> /etc/fstab, from /etc/dfs/dfstab. Looks like the info in /etc/dfs/dfstab as
> per your suggestion is being divided into the above 2 files.
>
> One more thing, i don't plan to export any of my file systems. So, if that
> is the case what needs to be done on my end..

Right.  I'm not certain that the info wrt /etc/dfs/dfstab is correct
for 2.6; instead, I looked at the Solaris 7 version.  /etc/exports
controls access on the server, so I think that's necessary.  "man 8
exports" on the client or server should be enough to get started.
Also, "man1M share" on the Sun will tell if you need to list shared
volumes explicitly. If you need the Sun man pages, they're on
docs.sun.com.  The NFS-HOWTO from http://www.linuxdoc.org/ (I really
should have a hotkey for them.) is a very good step-by-step
introduction... Linux and Solaris NFS are similar enough that most of
what works for one works for the other... provided it's NFS version 2,
NFS version 3 needs some modifications on Linux... but they're
described in the FAQ at the URL below.  (The one on the left.)

From: "G Pollack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WordPerfect 8 defaults
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 01:06:25 GMT

Can someone point me to instructions for setting default font for
documents, zoom, etc. in WP 8? At present I reset these manually each time
I start it up; not a serious problem, but an annoyance.

From: "James Gray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: access denied on HP2100TN printer
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:10:33 +1100

Grab the 2100TN manual and go through the control panel ON THE PRINTER and
ditch the security settings.  No you should be able to use the printer
again.

No go to the HP site and get the lo down on JetDirect.  There are serval
"ports" (RAW, TEXT etc, not IP Ports) that can be used for printing from a
*nix host/server.  Windows clients just install the driver and point in the
right direction ;-)

We ahve serval 2100TN's at work and have specified different sub-nets for
access but I'm 150km from the nearest printer at the moment :-/  Just read
the manual and the stuff online - HP are quite thourough :-)

Cheers,

James

--
** Spam trap in use **
My return e-mail is:

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 01:18:35 -0000

  "Steven" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  In a message on Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:45:32 GMT, wrote :

"> Ok, here is the problem.
">
[...]

What does 'diff test.prn test2.prn' spit out?

[...]

                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller  ||            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153

------------------------------

From: Robert Heller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 01:18:36 -0000

  [EMAIL PROTECTED],
  In a message on Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:11:26 GMT, wrote :

f> How do you start an X session from the command line? For example, to
f> launch just the x server with an xterm. I'm guessing something like
f> XFree86 (something). I just don't know the format. And is there a man
f> page for this specifically? I must be missing it.

startx or xinit, depending.

man startx
man xinit

f>
f>
f> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
f> Before you buy.
f>

--
                                     \/

From: "Chia Ah Tee, Joseph" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hard drive partition problem
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:27:04 +0800

Hello,

I was trying to install linux on the 540mb hard disk in my 486 DX2-66
but after following the on screen dialogs
about hardware and partition to choose and make. As I have done as
requested onscreen. I find that the Bios detect it as 521mb.
However the fdisk see my partition size as 12mb. And what happen to the
516mb of the partition.
My hard disk has a Ms-Dos 6.22 on it. My question is whether Fdisk can
see Linux partition. And whether Linux
can changed the cylinder size.
And what should i do to install linux or get back my hard disk,s lost
partition.
I would appreciate any help or advice.

Thank you

Joseph

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Smith)
Subject: Re: kernel panic, init not found
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 01:48:41 GMT

Try booting from the floppy and rerunning whatever lilo configuration
app you have. On a Slack system you can do this through the setup
program. I think linuxconf will also allow you to do this. You might
be successfull just by doing a make install on the kernel. It may be a
hosed up boot sector so you are better off reinstalling lilo and going
from there.

Andy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: want a NIC + RH7.0? Read me!
Date: 23 Nov 2000 01:59:31 GMT

If you're looking for an ethernet card that you can pop in and will work
the first time and that doesn't cost too much, try the Netgear FA310TX.
It is only 10mbs, but this is good enough for home.  I got a home network
kit for 69$ which included two cards and a hub, the same price for a low
end 3com.

I struggled with the Linksys EtherFast 10/100 and never got it working so
I through in the towel.  Don't believe Redhat's hardware compatility site,
it is NOT easy to install. I spent a whole day and never got it working.
The Netgear FA310TX I got working in no time at all.

Hope this helps some

BTW, does anyone know how to cross post using tin?