From: "Eric Chow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: print postscript file
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 11:59:10 +0800

Hello,

How can use lpr to print postscript file or pdf file to printer ?

Best regards,
Eric

------------------------------

From: "BetrOffDed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: print postscript file
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 04:54:25 GMT

In article <9en99q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Eric Chow"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How can use lpr to print postscript file or pdf file to printer ?
>

> Best regards,
> Eric

Assuming the printer is already configured,

PS files: all you should need to do is "lpr filename.ps"

PDF files: you need a converter like pdf2ps (from ghostscript package)
then do "pdf2ps filename.pdf - | lpr"

You can of course specify further options for lpr and pdf2ps as needed.
See their respective man pages for more info.

HTH...

------------------------------

From: afeltes@[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.certification.redhat,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: How To Set The Swap size ?
Date: 26 May 2001 05:29:07 GMT

In article <9elvrj$h01$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, yotam
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
>I am using R.H 7 is it possible to change the swap size after installation
?
>thanks in advance
>Or  Freund .

Swap under linux is a partition of the disk or a swapfile instead.
if you still have space left on your hard disk you can create a new partition
or increase de one you have it now, the partition must be of linux swap type.
See de _fdisk_ man page for this.
If you do not have space for a new partition, you can create a swap file (see
_mkswap_ man page for an explanation).

   NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam.  If this or other posts
made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Apache and FTP question
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 06:35:27 GMT

I just installed RH 7.1 and I did NOT configure the firewall during the
install (I will go back and do that later after I get everything up and
running.  Besides, nothing is on this system but the Linux OS).  Anyway,
I am trying to get the Apache web server and the FTP server up and
running.  I went through the steps in RH's "Customization Guide" but I
can not connect to either server.  From my linux system I CAN pull up my
web page but I can NOT access if from another system (i.e. from work).
How do I get access from outside my system, and let everyone else have
access too?

I also can not connect to my FTP server.  I get an "access denied"
message.  Any ideas?  Thanks for any help.

Lamar

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Date: 26 May 2001 06:37:50 GMT

In <9en99q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Eric Chow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>How can use lpr to print postscript file or pdf file to printer ?

lpr filename.ps
You don't tell us what kind of pronter you have or  what operating system, or
anything  else and you expect intelligent answers?
Read up about input filters.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: IBM to let Linux fans use mainframe--for free
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 02:39:47 -0400

Dave Mundt wrote:

>         Greetings and Salutations...
>
> On Fri, 25 May 2001 12:03:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake)
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 25 May 2001 03:58:01 +0000, Richard Thrippleton
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>characters regardless? I know there's some reason for this, but it escapes
> >>me at this time. Any ideas?
> >
> >Because the most popular character-cell terminals (ANSI/DEC VT-xxx series)
> >have 80-column wide screens. You'll notice that if you use a terminal
> >emulator or the Linux console, that's what you'll get by default.
> >
> >(There was a time on Usenet when no one would need such a thing explained
> >to them. :-)
> >
> >--
> >  Roger Blake
> >  (remove second "g" and second "m" from address for email)
>
>         Actually, it goes back further than that.   The original
> Hollerith cards used for data input on the systems had 80 columns.
> Traditionally, the last four columns were used for a sequence number
> (have YOU ever dropped a box of 2000 punchcards without sequence
> numbers?  I have...it only takes ONE time like that to scar a person
> for life).
>      In any case...because of this physical limitation, the line
> length on early I/O equipment was set at 80 colums.  Although this
> physical limit was fairly meaningless when we finally got to a point
> of terminals logged into a timesharing system, at least with IBM the
> early terminals buffered the input data and sent it TO the mainframes
> in 80 column images.
>         The first time I ran into systems that supported more than 80
> columns on a terminal was the DEC VT-100 terminal...which did support
> 132 columns (as did the decwriter dot matrix printer/terminal).
>         For what it is worth, there is a story about that Hollerith
> chose the size of the punch cards (7  and 3/8 inches by 3 and
>  1/4 inches) at the size of the dollar bills of the era.  By using
> this size he would have had a huge collection of tools for dealing
> with large numbers of them.  Other folks seem to feel this is
> nonsense, and, since Herman has been dead since 1929, we can't ask
> him.

makes complete sense from an engineering point of view.

Banks could make their money-handling machinery do double duty.

and large amounts of money-handler equipment was already in
the vendor supply channels.

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer

K: Truth in advertising:
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: rsync with ssh and no password prompt
Date: 26 May 2001 06:34:43 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Zanella)
writes:

>I cannot do passwordless ssh to the remote host and am not root on the
>remote host. The remote host runs openssh. The local host on which I am
>root runs plain ssh. I would be interested in knowing which configuration
>files are misconfigured. Would running ssh in verbose mode help or is
>there another way of finding out?

Of course it would. You should have done it by now instead of asking! Run both ssh
and sshd in verbose mode.
Are you sure you do not have some old entry in ~/.ssh/known_hosts? (You do have the
remote machines identity.pub line in known_hosts don't you? Youdo have the
RSAAuthentication yes
line in sshd-config? YOU do not have the
IgnoreUserKnownHosts yes
line enabled?

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Apache and FTP question
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 06:48:43 GMT

Lamar Thomas wrote:

> I just installed RH 7.1 and I did NOT configure the firewall during the
> install (I will go back and do that later after I get everything up and
> running.  Besides, nothing is on this system but the Linux OS).  Anyway,
> I am trying to get the Apache web server and the FTP server up and
> running.  I went through the steps in RH's "Customization Guide" but I
> can not connect to either server.  From my linux system I CAN pull up my
> web page but I can NOT access if from another system (i.e. from work).
> How do I get access from outside my system, and let everyone else have
> access too?

Are you only seeing the docs (static files)
when you are looking at localhost? Is httpd
actually running?

> I also can not connect to my FTP server.  I get an "access denied"
> message.  Any ideas?  Thanks for any help.

You need to 1. enable ftp and 2. make sure hosts.allow allows it.

see /var/log/secure for more info -

cu

jjs

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 02:49:44 -0400

Roger Blake wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2001 03:58:01 +0000, Richard Thrippleton
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >characters regardless? I know there's some reason for this, but it escapes
> >me at this time. Any ideas?
>
> Because the most popular character-cell terminals (ANSI/DEC VT-xxx series)
> have 80-column wide screens. You'll notice that if you use a terminal
> emulator or the Linux console, that's what you'll get by default.

no..it used to be that nearly all character-cell terminals were 80 columns
because Hollerith cards were 80 columns.

> (There was a time on Usenet when no one would need such a thing explained
> to them. :-)

indeed.

> --
>   Roger Blake
>   (remove second "g" and second "m" from address for email)

--
Aaron R. Kulkis
Unix Systems Engineer
DNRC Minister of all I survey
ICQ # 3056642

K: Truth in advertising:
        Special Interest Sierra Club,
        Anarchist Members of the ACLU
        The Drunken Woman Killer Ted Kennedy
        Grass Roots Pro-Gun movement,

   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole

    you are lazy, stupid people"

G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

   her behavior improves.

   ...despite (C) above.

   direction that she doesn't like.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Jim Brooks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: kernel 2.4.5 crashes on Mandrake 8 but 2.4.4 and 2.4.3 works
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 07:03:28 GMT

Kernel 2.4.5 on Mandrake 8 crashed my PC early in boot,
when the swapper process was being started (I think).

The default 2.4.3 kernel boots OK, and so does a 2.4.4 kernel
I built myself (had to update /boot/initrd*.img with 2.4.4's reiserfs.o).

Anyone else having problems with 2.4.5?

--
Jim Brooks  jjiimm-AT-jjiimmbbrrookkss-DOT-oorrgg

------------------------------

From: Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 07:03:36 GMT

J Sloan wrote:

> Lamar Thomas wrote:
>
> > I just installed RH 7.1 and I did NOT configure the firewall during the
> > install (I will go back and do that later after I get everything up and
> > running.  Besides, nothing is on this system but the Linux OS).  Anyway,
> > I am trying to get the Apache web server and the FTP server up and
> > running.  I went through the steps in RH's "Customization Guide" but I
> > can not connect to either server.  From my linux system I CAN pull up my
> > web page but I can NOT access if from another system (i.e. from work).
> > How do I get access from outside my system, and let everyone else have
> > access too?
>
> Are you only seeing the docs (static files)
> when you are looking at localhost? Is httpd
> actually running?
>
> > I also can not connect to my FTP server.  I get an "access denied"
> > message.  Any ideas?  Thanks for any help.
>
> You need to 1. enable ftp and 2. make sure hosts.allow allows it.
>
> see /var/log/secure for more info -
>
> cu
>
> jjs

I can see the "Powered by RedHat" index page.  I then copied my web page into
the /var/www/html directory with a new index page.  The last command I ran
was "#  service httpd restart"  just like the book said.

Do you have an example of what hosts.allow would look like if someone had
access rights?

Thanks,

Lamar

------------------------------

From: "Eric Chow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Standard input and output problem ?
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 15:09:29 +0800

Hi Bowman,

Would you please to show me a simple example ?

Best regards,
Eric

"bowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó
news:6OFP6.6121$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "You, Jin-Ho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: /etc/shadow password encrypted and not
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 16:55:15 +0900

> Is there a way to set a password at the command line that comes over as
> encrypted in shadow?

Use the command, chpasswd.

ex)
# useradd foo
# echo "foo:foo1234" | chpasswd

See also "newusers"

Bye!

Jin-Ho You

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 08:10:07 GMT

On Sat, 26 May 2001 13:30:56 +1000, Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

|Hi!,
|
|> Can someone give me a reason why when using RedHat's User Manager, new
|> accounts have the password encrypted in /etc/shadow, but users created
|> with useradd at the command line have clear text passwords in ..shadow?
|>
|> Is there a way to set a password at the command line that comes over as
|> encrypted in shadow?
|
|Yes, you are using the useradd -p parameter I suspect.  Useradd expects an
|encrypted password as the parameter to the -p option.  If you want to set the
|user password from the command line, you will want to create the user account
|and then issue a "passwd" command at the command line.
|
|Failing that, you will have to write your own little program which uses the
|"crypt()" function call and returns the encrypted string.  From there you can
|use the string as a parameter to useradd.

If you write the script in Perl (and probably Python) there is a crypt function
just for this purpose. You will need to look up the manual for it, and read the
description of 'salt' and how it works.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

From: "alik blochin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: irq change
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 11:49:03 +0200

hi folks
my ethernet and sound card (on board VIA AC'97)
are sharing one irq 11
how do i change it?
do i have to mess with bios setup
or do it manually in linux ?