  Re: Help needed with Lilo dual boot (faeychyld)

From: Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Apache now working
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 03:21:39 GMT

Lamar Thomas wrote:

> Tom St Denis wrote:
>
> > Lamar Thomas wrote:

> > > Nice, but not much help
> >
> > Well excuuuuuuse me.  I'm a total newbie (with a httpd running mind you,
> > so nyah nyah!).  Just thought I would offer what little help I can.
> >
> > Tom
>
> Sorry to offend Tom, I'm new to Linux too.
>
> Lamar

It turns out that Apache was working all along.  The problem was that @Home was
blocking web access to my server from other @Home users.  When tried access from a
dial-up account everything worked just fine!

Lamar

------------------------------

From: Ting Li<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.graphics.misc
Subject: voodoo3 under linux
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:03:45 -0500

Hi.  Could anyone give me pointers on how to configure voodoo3 under
X 3.36 and 2.2x kernel?  Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: recapture stdout
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 13:00:29 +0800

You need a program called screen. I think it comes with most distros
(comes with RedHat, anyway.)  You run screen, start your program, and
then detach from the screen you are in.
HTH

------------------------------

From: Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: FTP Question RH 7.1
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 04:58:26 GMT

Just installed RH 7.1 and am trying to get FTP working.  When I dial
into my ISP from a Windows system I get an access denied msg.  When I
run "chkconfig --list wu-ftpd" it returns "wu-ftpd  off".  Is this why I
can't connect?

>From my Windows system I ran the following command from a DOS prompt:
C:\>ftp "ipaddress".  I also tried using FTP Explorer.  Thanks for any
help.

Lamar

------------------------------

From: Alex K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: utmpx entries still there after remote login, why?
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 21:14:53 -0100

hello!

when someone has logged in remotely to my box and then logged out, i can
still see that person when running 'who'.
afaik 'who' reads in the /var /run/utmpx file.
i only have ssh for remote logins, but i think i had the same problem
with telnet.
what causes the file not to be cleaned?
or, do is this a problem with slack7.1?

i use slackware 7.1, with kernel 2.4.2 and openssh 2.3.0.

   tia / alex k

------------------------------

Subject: Re: error conditions
From: Allan Adler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 May 2001 01:14:52 -0400

I had a lot of errors in my earlier posting on this topic.
I am not sure which RedHat I have, maybe it is 6.2, I'll have
to look again.

I also described the problem with ls incorrectly. Here is what
really happens:

(1) If I mount /c and execute "ls /c" I get a segmentation fault.
(2) If I execute "ls /c/foobar" and /c/foobar does not exist, it tells
    me the file doesn't exist.
(3) If I execute "ls /c/foobar" and /c/foobar does exist, it prints
    "/c/foobar". If I execute "ls -l /c/foobar" it returns correct
    information about /c/foobar.
(4) If I execute "/c/foobar.*" it logs me out.
(5) I have no trouble looking at /c using stat. I have no trouble looking
    at /c/foobar with stat if /c/foobar exists. If I execute "stat /c/foo.*"
    it logs me out.

In Kernighan and Pike, they say one can look at the inodes of files in
a directory by running "od -d foo" where foo is the name of the directory.
In this version of Linux, apparently od can only be run on files. It would
be nice if there were some way to have the old capabilty of "od -d foo".

>Did you compile a new kernel without providing for MS-DOS filesystem
>compatibility?  A kernel source tree downloaded from kernel.org does not
>have that enabled by default.

I don't think so. Also, when I execute /sbin/lsmod, it shows msdos
and vfat and fat installed.

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

*                                                                          *
*  Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial       *
*              Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect    *
*              in any way on MIT. Morever, I am nowhere near the Boston    *
*              metropolitan area.                                          *
*                                                                          *

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob)
Subject: Re: Lexmark Z52 printer woes!
Date: 26 May 2001 22:20:05 -0700

I am having the identical problems Ron is having.  Why did your reboot
"process a bunch of Windbond parrallel port
> configuration stuff" and mine will not?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Tim Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: How To Share Network Connections Among 3 Machines?
Date: 26 May 2001 09:49:31 +0100

Dave Reader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > The IP addresses of eth1 and eth2 are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2
> > respectively.
>
> that is nonsense. why do you want two cards on one network?[1]
[snip]
> > I would be grateful if anyone can help me to solve this problem.
>
> type 'route -n' or 'netstat -r -n' and see if you can spot it.
>
> [1] you don't. you have misunderstood something fundamental to IP
> neworking.

Would you care to elucidate why one woul not want two cards on one network
and why it would be so fundamentally wrong to do so?

~Tim
--
All I see, All I know                       |[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Is touching the sacred earth                |http://spodzone.org.uk/

------------------------------

From: Chris Elvidge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Resize the swap file?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 09:43:33 +0400

Liam Watts wrote:

> I've been monitoring my swap file, and it almost never gets over 5%
> used.
> I have 128 MB RAM and 250 MB swap file. That's a lot of unused HD space
> I'd like to get back.
>
> Is there a way to resize that partition and reapply the space to the
> root partition? Or at least take a chunk of it as another partition?
>
> Thanks for any assistance!!
>
> Liam

Single mode. Swapoff. Fdisk. Delete swap partition. New patritions size
x and 250-x. Make one type 83, other 82. Write and quit. mkswap
/dev/hd{whatever}. Swapon. Reboot. makefs /dev/hd{otherwhatever}.

------------------------------

From: Bigfoot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing Linux on a Laptop
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 06:07:59 GMT

Major Dondo wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Sumit Dhar"

> should be OK.  You can also try peanut linux.  That'w what I run on my
> 486 laptop, and it works OK.
>
> --Yan

Also, older versions of Slackware (up to 4.x IIRC) via floppy. Once you
get everything
running, you can upgrade via net as neccessary. Works great on my DX-66
Thinkpad- X is
a wee bit slow, but hey- with SLRN & Lynx, what else do you need :)

Of all serious crimes under the law, smuggling...
least violates the consciences of men. It is a crime
against law and against government, but not against
morality. The smuggler robs no man. He buys goods
honestly in one market and sells them honestly in
another. His offense is against an arbitrary regulation
of government.... he simply fails to pay its demands.
Many men otherwise honest are unable to see any moral
turpitude in smuggling. ...government, in exacting toll,
plays the part of the highwayman.

                      --  The Oregonian, Jan. 21, 1886

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Micro Hue)
Subject: Re: RH7.1 in endless loop: & mouse not detected
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 06:48:28 GMT

On Fri, 25 May 2001 10:21:38 -0500, Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Micro Hue wrote:
>> "gpm: oops() invoked from gpm.c[978]
>> Device or Resource busy"
>>
>> Then the computer goes into an endless loop between a text login
>> prompt which disappears when (presumably) X tries to start and
>> reappears briefly a few seconds later only to disappear before I have
>> a chance to log in. Repeat ad nauseum. No keypresses seem to stop it.
>> I've tried numerous keys: Alt-Ctl-F2, Alt-Ctl-Back, A-C-Tab etc.
>> Nothing works but A-C-Del which only reboots into the same problem. (I
>> use Loadlin to boot linux)
>> However the shut down produces a message:
>> "Shutting down console mouse services [FAILED]"
>There seem to be a group of mouse problems with the 2.4.2 kernel
>concerning irq 12, which is what the PS/2 mouse uses.   In
>my case, there was an interrupt conflict between the pcmcia
>controller on a Winbook laptop and the PS/2 mouse, with both
>wanting to use irq 12.  The problem may be that until the mouse
>is actually used the kernel can't tell the interrupt is not
>available and may assign it to another device.  In my case,
>once the interrupt had been assigned to the pcmcia controller,
>stopping pcmcia would not release it, so the conflict still
>existed.

Hmm, Intersting point.

Win98 reports no conflicts in IRQ assignments, PS/2 is IRQ12.
(Thanks for the help, "hassard")

However I seem to remember that there was a message
about "cannot find irlan0"
Perhaps the 2.4 kernal expects a LAN and confuses it with
the mouse?  (I don't have any network card)
I'll try your suggestions as soon as I get 7.1 reinstalled.
I'm back to 6.2 at the moment.

Many thanks.
Tony

------------------------------

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: FTP Question RH 7.1
Date: 27 May 2001 11:27:49 +0300

Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Just installed RH 7.1 and am trying to get FTP working.  When I dial
> into my ISP from a Windows system I get an access denied msg.  When I
> run "chkconfig --list wu-ftpd" it returns "wu-ftpd  off".  Is this why I
> can't connect?

Yes. Use "chkconfig wu-ftpd on" to start ftpd automatically at boot,
or "service wu-ftpd start" to start it immediately.

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2 MP3 Questions - Static and Bit Rate
Date: 27 May 2001 11:57:03 +0300

Justo M. Casablanca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> 2. I have RTFM, gone to linuxdocs.org, etc, and still don't understand
>    what this bit-rate setting is for MP3 decoders (or is it the *.wav
>    extractor ?).

The bit rate setting is for the MP3 _en_coder. A smaller number means
worse sound quality and smaller resulting file, while larger bit rate
improves sound quality but creates bigger files.

See:
http://www.iis.fhg.de/amm/techinf/layer3/index.html#2

--
        Markku Kolkka

Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 11:23:28 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: voodoo3 under linux

Ting Li wrote:

> Hi.  Could anyone give me pointers on how to configure voodoo3 under
> X 3.36 and 2.2x kernel?  Thanks.
Which vooddo?

I had 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 PCI working with Xfree 3.? with the
SVGA driver, but some fiddling with XF86config was necessary.

Now I run 3dfx Voodoo 3 3500 AGP, with Xfree 4.0 and tdfx driver,
it worked out of the box (SuSE 7.0).

So updating to Xfree 4.x would be the easiest way for you.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Q] how to compile/link against older libc?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 11:02:17 +0100

hi folks

i'm trying to work out whether it is possible to link against an older
version of glibc?  currently, i have glibc-2.1.3 installed as my 'main'
C library (this system was originally RH-6.2) and everything is built
and linked against that, but i want to link against an older libc5 that
is on my system.

is this possible?  i have gcc-2.95.2 which was built against
glibc-2.1.3.

the older libc5 libs are under /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib but i dont see
any header files in there, so i presume these libs are just for
pre-built bins that have been linked with libc5 and not intended for
compiling/linking against.

many thanks
ray

------------------------------

From: "Florian Schmidt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: automount with cd's?
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 12:26:33 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Florian Schmidt"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Glitch"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> .
>> you can use the 'auto' option to and put it in your /etc/fstab file so
>> that the cdrom is mounted automaticaly at boot time.
>>
>> if u want it mounted automatically whenever u put a new CD in the drive
>> i don't know if that is possible let alone if a program is available
>> for that

oops... that post was maybe a little damaged.. i wanted to mount the
cdrom whenever i enter  a directory on the cdrom, not when it is inserted
into the drive.. this should be possible with the mountd-daemon, but i'm
too stupid...

--
florian schmidt

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 05:29:57 -0500

Markku Kolkka wrote:

> Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Just installed RH 7.1 and am trying to get FTP working.  When I dial
>> into my ISP from a Windows system I get an access denied msg.  When I
>> run "chkconfig --list wu-ftpd" it returns "wu-ftpd  off".  Is this why I
>> can't connect?
>
> Yes. Use "chkconfig wu-ftpd on" to start ftpd automatically at boot,
> or "service wu-ftpd start" to start it immediately.

Or edit /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd and change "disable = yes" to "disable = no"
Then execute /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart.  And the next time you reboot
you don't have to run any chkconfig command.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 20:30:51 +1000
From: faeychyld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help needed with Lilo dual boot

Mike wrote:

> Hello everyone.
> Please forgive the newbie-ness of this post.  I have just installed
> Redhat Linux version 7.1 on and 8 Gig drive.  What I would like to do
> is partition the drive so that I can boot to Win98 and Linux.  I have
> read that Lilo can do this, but I have been unable to find any
> directions for this.
>
> I am willing to start all over from scratch, but I dont know what to
> do.  Do I install Windows first, then Linux?  Should I make 2
> partitions first?
>
> If someone could point me in the direction of a URL that can explain
> the process I would really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Mike

Go to linuxdoc.org, lots of interesting HOWTO's
and I remember seeing something about win98 linux.

I am currently running both and use lilo to boot
either.

My method was to start the linux install up to the
partitioning, create two partitions for win and linux
save and "ctrl alt del" to abort.

Then install win on part 1
Then restart linux install and go right through and you
will eventually be prompted to install lilo in the MBR
and add the win/dos partition to lilo.

It works well.

--
-