Linux-Misc Digest #978, Volume #27               Tue, 29 May 01 15:13:01 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Microsoft exchange server under Linux ? (Roger Blake)
  Re: Microsoft exchange server under Linux ? (Roger Blake)
  Printing w/RH linux ("jf")
  Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers? (Otto
Wyss)
  Re: Microsoft exchange server under Linux ? (Grant Edwards)
  Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers?
("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: bANNER aDDS ("Coles")
  Re: harddisk full - help!! ("Coles")
  Re: Microsoft exchange server under Linux ? (Gareth Jones)
  Re: Collection of tarballs (Dave Brown)
  Re: Turn off the warning message (Dave Brown)
  Re: Microsoft exchange server under Linux ? (Gareth Jones)
  Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers? ("Matt
O'Toole")
  VFS: Disk change
  Re: Best Window Manager. ("Matt O'Toole")
  Re: Mandrake-8.0 and SRPMS? (Bill Unruh)
  Re: Sensor module for via686 motherboard (K133A) (Michael Heiming)
  Re: Mirroring whole SCSI-Discs ("Robert Davies")
  Re: running X applications as root after /bin/su (Hendrik Sattler)
  Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers? (Colin
Watson)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake)
Subject: Re: Microsoft exchange server under Linux ?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:14:33 GMT

On Tue, 29 May 2001 17:38:31 GMT, Gareth Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>incorrect. Likewise there is a certain macho culture that implies
>anyone who can't do their daily job from a bash terminal is a luser.

Nope, as far as I'm concerned, the point-and-drool crowd *are* lusers.
Anyone using computer technology without at least a basic understanding
of same is worthy only of the most utter contempt, IMHO.

>flexibility, but an executive doesn't give a flying toss about that,
>he wants his PA to put a meeting in his diary, he wants to see that

Then pen and paper should do the trick just fine.

--
  Roger Blake
  (remove second "g" and second "m" from address for email)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:11:27 GMT

On Tue, 29 May 2001 17:22:45 GMT, Gareth Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>For many large organisations calendaring and mobile address books are
>pretty important functionality. There are only really two (possibly

I consider them worthless fluff. (Like these maroons couldn't do business
a few years back when none of this crap existed...)

>There is, AFAIK, no decent opensource software that can provide the
>required functionality.

Pen and paper do it for me.

From: "jf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printing w/RH linux
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:30:29 -0500

How do I set up my Red Hat linux system (7.1 {uses LPRng...I think} , but I
also could use advice on 6.2 {different printing system than 7.1} as
well).... to print to my various dot-matrix line printers?

I have various different types of paper forms of varying length that get
printed on these printers such as checks, invoices, and labels...how do I
set up linux so that it knows what type of form is on a given printer?

On our older system (AT&T Unix), this was handled by a proprietary feature,
'lpfoms' which let us define different types of forms to mount/unmount on
given printers, but I cannot for the life of me find this functionality in
linux. I've looked everywhere! Please Help!

Thanks In Advance,

Jason

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Otto Wyss)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why does Linux / OSS community love mailing lists and hate news servers?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 20:28:44 +0200

wade blazingame <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Instead of a friendly, easy to use, self-archiving, self-threading news
> reader interface, most OSS projects use mailing lists to connect their
> community.

I guess the most important reason is SPAM. Usually mailing lists have a
much higher signal-to-noise ratio. There exists gateways between
mailinglists <-> news but they are very seldom activated, because of
this.

I also don't like to subscribe and would like to read them as news but
since this isn't possible now I usually read through the mailinglists
archive. As long as I don't post answers this is fine. The lists I
follow (debian...) usually cope very well with my answers if I post them
as new mails. Of course it would be nice if archives supports direct
posting of answers.

There is a solution which might satisfy everyone. Gateway from lists to
news can be configured one way (debian-devel was once, I have to check
it again). So all the "SPAM" stays in the news while anyone can read the
lists through the news. Of course if you want to answer to the lists as
well you have to send an ordinary mail to the list instead just replying
to the news. This certainly won't impair the signal-to-noise ratio.

O. Wyss

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:31:44 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Roger Blake wrote:
>On Tue, 29 May 2001 17:38:31 GMT, Gareth Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>incorrect. Likewise there is a certain macho culture that implies
>>anyone who can't do their daily job from a bash terminal is a luser.
>
>Nope, as far as I'm concerned, the point-and-drool crowd *are*
>lusers. Anyone using computer technology without at least a
>basic understanding of same is worthy only of the most utter
>contempt, IMHO.

So you never use a bit of science or technology without
understanding how it works?

You evidently use a computer, can you design a CPU?  A NAND
gate?  A CMOS transistor?

We have to assume you understand how your car's engine works,
how the automatic transmission works, etc.

Ever take a drug (asperin or caffene included) without
understanding the basic biochem behind it?

Ever make a phone call without a basic understanding how the
phone network is set up?

Do you understand how a microwave oven works?  How about the
chemistry involved when you cook a piece of meat on the grill
(assuming you understand the thermodynamics involved in fire)?

You're nuts if you think everybody on the planet needs to
understand what's going on under the cover every time they do
anything.

Radio and TV?  Obviously can't use those unless you understand
Maxwell's equations.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  FIRST, I'm covering
                                  at               you with OLIVE OIL and

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 21:04:43 +0200

"wade blazingame" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:vGHQ6.17265$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Threading is almost never
> supported as well in mail clients as it is in news readers.

That shouldn't be a problem to implement via the message-id, References &
In-Replay-To fields.
I know that OE support it.

>From RFC 2822

3.6.4. Identification fields

   Though optional, every message SHOULD have a "Message-ID:" field.
   Furthermore, reply messages SHOULD have "In-Reply-To:" and
   "References:" fields as appropriate, as described below.

------------------------------

From: "Coles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bANNER aDDS
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:35:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Earl Basham"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i am using bannerfilter for squid which works great but does any one
> know where i can get a list of banners to block it blocks alot but id
> like to block more

You could get the ads section from squidguard. The have updated
'blacklists' that you can wget periodically.

------------------------------

From: "Coles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: harddisk full - help!!
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:35:58 GMT

In article <IyzM6.1701$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Eric en Jolanda"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There's not much choice.
> It's either full ,and you remove something, so you get space, or it will
> stay full. I will not believe that removing files won't free up space.

I've had full system that didn't complain until it started to run out of
memory. I deleted files, but then the data in memory was written which
made it appear as though the deletion of files didn't create any more
space. With the sync that you mentioned, it should for the writes to
disk. Also, make sure you're deleting from the correct filesystem.

------------------------------

From: Gareth Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:37:44 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake) wrote:

>On Tue, 29 May 2001 17:38:31 GMT, Gareth Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>incorrect. Likewise there is a certain macho culture that implies
>>anyone who can't do their daily job from a bash terminal is a luser.
>
>Nope, as far as I'm concerned, the point-and-drool crowd *are* lusers.
>Anyone using computer technology without at least a basic understanding
>of same is worthy only of the most utter contempt, IMHO.

Presumably you despise C++ because of encapsulation, detest dns for
concealing the raw beauty of IPs dotted quads, and the very idea of an
embedded computer chip in a washing machine that doesn't expose the
contents of its registers using a bank of LEDs must drive you up the
wall.

>>flexibility, but an executive doesn't give a flying toss about that,
>>he wants his PA to put a meeting in his diary, he wants to see that
>
>Then pen and paper should do the trick just fine.

Don't be such a tosser. Do you use email? Do you see advantages to
that? Then it shouldn't be too hard to imagine that other people might
have found benefits in transfering other tasks to computer systems....

Besides, the fact that you despise these things is really irrelevant.
Someone suggested that there were opensource alternatives to MS
Exchange. The fact is there are not. To say that you personally don't
want the things that Exchange offers, is neither here nor there.

Gareth

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: Re: Collection of tarballs
Date: 29 May 2001 13:45:08 -0500

>"Peet Grobler" <peetgr at absa.co.za> wrote in message
>news:<3b134d6a$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>> I know it's possible to find rpm's using rpmfind.net
>>
>> Is there a similar place for tarballs? (tar.gz/bz2)?
>>
>> I know about sourceforge, but they don't have the standard packages included
>> with linux systems, e.g. : crond, apache, at, etc.
>>
>> Anyone knows of such a place?

Another option is to get "alien", which will convert rpm's to tarballs
(suitable for Slackware's pkgtool), --and other package formats...

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Brown)
Subject: Re: Turn off the warning message
Date: 29 May 2001 13:59:18 -0500

In article <9f0ka9$q40$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, gajo wrote:
>"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> gajo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > OK, how do I log in as sudo? Should I create a new account? What parameters
>should I set for
>that
>>
>> You don't log in as sudo. It's a tool, not a user account.
>>
>> Well try reading "man sudo" instead, which would seem to be the more
>> natural option!
>
>man sudo does not exists (at least in RH 6). Could you tell me how to use
>sudo, cause I've been
>searching the HOWTOs and FAQs for two hours now and have found nothing yet...
>Also, if I type in "sudo" nothing happens, that is I get an error message

You should have created a user account when you did the install.  If you
didn't, then do so now.  (linuxconf->user accounts will help you do this.)
Then log in as that account, not root.  If there are things you need to
do as "root", you can use the switch-user command, "su".  "su - " will
cause a password prompt to appear, and upon entering the root passwd,
you have a shell running just like you logged in as root. When you're through
doing the root task, type "exit" and you'll be back in your user shell.

Incidentally, sudo is a package (it's available from freshmeat.net, and
included in the RedHat Powertools CD).  But it's not on the basic RH install.
It's probably overkill for what you need.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

------------------------------

From: Gareth Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:39:22 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake) wrote:

>On Tue, 29 May 2001 17:22:45 GMT, Gareth Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>For many large organisations calendaring and mobile address books are
>>pretty important functionality. There are only really two (possibly
>
>I consider them worthless fluff. (Like these maroons couldn't do business
>a few years back when none of this crap existed...)

You are a bit of a prat aren't you?

>>There is, AFAIK, no decent opensource software that can provide the
>>required functionality.
>
>Pen and paper do it for me.

So what the hell are you doing using the internet?

Gareth

------------------------------

From: "Matt O'Toole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:40:41 -0700

"wade blazingame" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:vGHQ6.17265$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Instead of a friendly, easy to use, self-archiving, self-threading news
> reader interface, most OSS projects use mailing lists to connect their
> community.
>
> Signing up for mailing lists is a hassle.  Getting off some of them can be
> a freakin nightmare.  Your in-box is stuffed with every message whether
> you're interested in the subject or not.  Threading is almost never
> supported as well in mail clients as it is in news readers.  If the
> mailing lists are archived at all, they're archived using terrible HTML
> interfaces that are illogically presented, painful to use and inflexible.

> This really discourages participation and strengthens the misperception
> that OSS packages are difficult and unapproachable.
>
> Why must it be this way?  Can someone explain this to me?

If you can't deal with these "problems," maybe you should think about
another career.  Seriously.

Matt O.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: VFS: Disk change
Date: 29 May 2001 18:43:31 GMT

Does anyone have a guess why the following message is being sent
to my dmesg log about once a second? (2.2.18, rtl-3.0 patch)

VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)

Be assured that no disk change is taking place.
Thanks - Chuck

------------------------------

From: "Matt O'Toole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Window Manager.
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 11:47:50 -0700

"Eirik Newth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:m1JQ6.2407$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Joel wrote:
>
> > Not edo ram.  It'll cost me $90 for just 32 megs more at best buy, where
> > can I buy it that's cheap?
>
> You're right. For Linux-users on older machines getting more memory can be
> difficult, as dealers in my experience can refuse to order older chips.

Try www.pricewatch.com, where you'll find several dealers of really cheap
RAM.  For a better guarantee, try www.cricial.com.  Getting RAM for older
machines is easy, but more expensive than the newer stuff.  Whatever kind of
RAM you're buying, places like Best Buy charge about twice the going rate.
Avoid them.

Matt O.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: Mandrake-8.0 and SRPMS?
Date: 29 May 2001 18:49:08 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Ish Rattan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]I have two questions.

]1. What is the glibc version under this systen glibc5/22/21?

]2. SRPMS provided are a collection of patches. Does it imply that one
]has to get the source (eg. kernel sources) and then patch it with the
]given patches?

SRPMS for what? For the kernel it contains a tar.gz file which is the
kernel itself and then there is a series of patches for that kernel.
Those patches are applied automatically if you run via the
rpm --rebuild
or the
rpm -b? /usr/src/RPM/SPEC/......spec
command (? is the appropriate option)
If you want to add your own patch file or change something in the
source, do]
rpm -Uvh .....src.rpm
(where .... is the appropriate kernel source rpm)
then add your patch file as a bziped patch file, and add it to the
....spec file. Also add the appropriate configuration answers to the
.config files in /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES/....config
files-- or answer them as they come up during the running of rpm -b.....
.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 20:53:41 +0200
From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Sensor module for via686 motherboard (K133A)

Wayne Osborn wrote:

> > I did the same for an 8KTA3 mobo and various versions of the 2.4.*
> > kernels, except that i2c is built in to 2.4, so I only had to fetch
> > lm_sensors.  IIRC, I just removed the lm_sensors RPM before installing
> > the kit that I downloaded from the site that you mentioned.
> >

> Yeh, I removed the RPM lm_sensors too!
>
> > Wayne, I'm curious about your expericenes with that mobo, though. I and
> > a number of other people on linux-kernel have had nothing but trouble
> > with it, and Alan Cox has all but given up on getting it fixed without a
> > hint from VIA about what the problem is.
>
> Look, to be honest, I built the system Friday and only installed Linux
> saturday.
>
> Initially, the system was loaded with Windows 95 (GRRRR) so as to play
> with overclocking!!! Windows is good for some things! The machine would
> not boot Windows reliably over 1.2Ghz, sometimes at 1.3Ghz, but rarely.
>
> In desperation, I gave up overclocking and went on the Load Linux etc.
> This was never intended to be a Windows box.
>
> Anyway, it is now running at 1.5Ghz (10x150) running genome@home the CPU
> is around 39c.
>
> As of yet I can;t say I have experienced any problems under Linux, ONLY
> WONDOZE, and thats gone now :)
>
> Funny, only today did I find kernel notes regarding the VIA / 2.4
> problems. Are the problems real? SHould I stay with the 2.2.16 kernel?

Hello,

I'm running Epox 8KTA3 (750 MHz Athlon) and only had problems so far,
I bought the some good RAM (256 MB 133MHz).

Running SuSE Linux 7.0, I can't boot from SuSE 7.1 inst CD with kernel
2.4...:-(

OK, I thought who really needs this shinny new distro, but I couldn't
even compile modutils/binutils the machine just locks up and reboots,
nothing gets logged to give any hint...:-(

The machine hasn't reached any more uptime then 10 d, that's absolutely
not
what I'm used to with Linux. It just reboots randomly.

Sadly, I bought the parts online, half was broken, and it took them
over a month to deliver working parts...

I'll buy a new mobo as soon as I can, anyone some hints what to get, it
should have 1xAGP, >= 5 PCI slots and min. 1 ISA slot.

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "Robert Davies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Mirroring whole SCSI-Discs
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 19:50:26 +0100

"Jens Köhler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I've got 2 SCSI-discs (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb). Every disc has 3
> partitions (/,/boot,/var). Now I want to mirror all these 3 partitions
> from sda to sdb including the root partition. I use RAID1 with SuSE
> Linux 7.0. All the tools I need (raidtool,mdutils,..) are installed.
> Every documentation I read includes a discribtion how to mirror several
> partitions but not the root partition. The Problem is, if I want to
> mirror something using RAID1 I have to unmount it, but it's impossible
> with the root partition. What's the solution ??

Best to read the RAID HOWTO, but the general way usually with S/W RAID, is
to build the RAID device, on top of /dev/sda1 say.  Then change to boot off
of /dev/md<device> that you created which is initialised with /dev/sda1.

Then when that works, you simply add /dev/sdb1 to make a mirror, and let the
driver synchronise the mirrors.

mfg

Rob

------------------------------

From: Hendrik Sattler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: running X applications as root after /bin/su
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 21:01:46 +0200

Reino Ruusu wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Ulf Stegemann  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>wroot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> For some reason, I can't run X applications as root after doing /bin/su
>>> (permission denied). How can I fix it. My distro is Debian Potato.
>>>
>>> Wroot
>>
>>That's because root is not allowed to use your (the normal user's)
>>display. This behaviour can be changed by the 'xhost' command, e.g. 'xhost
>>+' (as normal user) allows connections form any user including root.
>
> Not a very good idea. 'xhost +' actually gives everybody (also from the
> network) access to your console. Try using 'su -' (opens a login shell).
> It works at least on a RedHat 7.
>
> If you don't want to do that, you can call (after 'su') 'xauth merge
> ~<user>/.Xauthority'.

another good idea is a shh-connection to root@localhost

HS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 29 May 2001 18:53:47 GMT

Villy Kruse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 29 May 2001 13:17:36 -0000,
>            Jan Schaumann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Mutt (http://www.mutt.org) and Gnus (was it http://www.gnus.org?) both
>>thread very nicely.
>
>How does it do this without In-Reply-To: headers or something similar?
>
>Even if mutt or gnus generates those headers, that doesn't make every
>other mail program do the same.

In practice, the majority of messages on the mailing lists I'm on
(Debian plus a few others) do have at least In-Reply-To: set where
appropriate. The few that don't aren't enough of a problem to worry
about.

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"A recommended acceptance test might be to experiment with subjects