Linux-Misc Digest #116, Volume #28               Fri, 15 Jun 01 17:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  openldap 2.0.10 (ThomasWalz)
  Re: lpr does not work (ThomasWalz)
  Re: Fast NICs (Michael Heiming)
  Help a newbie with GRUB PLEASE!!!!! ("Alok")
  Re: rc.local part 2. ("Liverpool_fc")
  Re: rc.local part 2. ("Liverpool_fc")
  Porting windows application to Linux (Mike)
  missing man page for "sg" command (Fulko Hew)
  Re: How to stop runaway print jobs? (John Cordes)
  Re: rc.local part 2. ("Liverpool_fc")
  Re: optimizing for pentium, worth the bother? ("Anthony DeRobertis")
  Re: ? :fs type msdos not supported by kernel ("Anthony DeRobertis")
  Re: comparing two installations, rpm, libs etc. ("Anthony DeRobertis")
  Re: Moving from PMMail to Kmail (Klaus Staedtler-Przyborski)
  Re: 2.4.2 Kernel Compiling Problem ("P. Thompson")
  Re: BellSouth DSL vs Linux (Tom Wilson)
  Re: missing man page for "sg" command (Michael Heiming)
  Re: what is the format of a mp3 cd? (Bruce Stephens)
  MySQL?? ("Henrik Andersen")
  Re: Problems using RH 7.1 with SiS 630 Graphics Card (Yongchun Zhang)
  How to regenerate RPM database? (Jean-David Beyer)
  Re: what was that game? (Larry Ebbitt)
  Re: gtk-config ("Peter T. Breuer")

Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:07:30 +0000
From: ThomasWalz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: openldap 2.0.10

Hello,
i installed OpenLdap 2.0.10 and tried to create the initial
database from the following ldif file:

x.ldif
dn: o=walz,c=de
objectClass: dcObject
objectClass: organization
o: walz
c: de

dn: cn=manager,o=walz,c=de
objectClass: organizationalRole
cn: manager

I run
ldapadd -f x.ldif  -D "cn=Manager,o=walz,c=de" -w secret  -d -1
and got the following error messages:

ldap_msgfree
ldap_perror
ldap_add: Object class violation
        additional info: missing required attribute
ldif_record() = 65
ldap_unbind
ldap_free_connection
ldap_send_unbind
ber_flush: 7 bytes to sd 4
  0000:  30 05 02 01 03 42 00                               0....B.
ldap_write: want=7, written=7
  0000:  30 05 02 01 03 42 00                               0....B.
ldap_free_connection: actually freed
adding new entry "o=walz,c=de"

My slapd.conf is

include /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
#include ./schema/nis.schema
schemacheck     on
pidfile     /var/lock/slapd.pid
argsfile    /var/lock/slapd.args
# ldbm database definitions
database        ldbm
suffix          "o=walz,c=de"
directory       /Data1/openldap/v2.0.10
rootdn          "cn=Manager,o=walz,c=de"
rootpw          secret
index           objectclass     eq
index           uid     pres,eq,sub
index           cn,sn   pres,eq,sub,subany
dbnosync
dbnolocking

Has anybody an idea what is wrong?

Please send your response to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kind regards,

Thomas

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:15:44 +0000
From: ThomasWalz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lpr does not work

Is a default printer defined?
/etc/printcap

for example
BJC1000|lp|...

lp is used as defaultprinter

Have you tried  lpq -P <printer>

Regards,

Thomas

------------------------------

From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Fast NICs
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:24:07 +0200

Chema wrote:

> Hi everybody:
>
> I am looking for fast and reliable 10/100Mbs NICs for a new cluster. I
> can not find pure speed benchmarks published or press reviews about it.
> The NICs should be well supported under GNU/Linux and I do not mind the
> price, the matter is top speed and a good manufacturer support.
> Please give me your opinions or point me to an adequate URL.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Chema Box
> System Administrator
> ETSI Navales UPM
> Madrid Spain.

Hello,

there was a similar question some month ago, and Donald Becker (author
of
most Linux NIC driver) gave the hint that 3com 905B/C cards would be
the fastest:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&ic=1&th=53ac7c73e3315704,20&seekm=95l9t3%24d02%241%40disci.greennet#p

Good luck

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: "Alok" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help a newbie with GRUB PLEASE!!!!!
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:21:02 -0700

Help a newbie with GRUB PLEASE!!!!!

So heres the low-down. I have a dual boot system with Windows ME, Windows
2000, and Linux Mandrake. What happens is that when I turn on my computer
grub pops up and then gives me the option to go to windows or linux. If I
choose linux it takes me to Linux. If I choose Windows it takes me to the
Windows boot loader which gives me the folowing options: Windows ME, Windows
2000, and Linux Mandrake. So the GRUB screen is completely useless and
annoying.

In other words - HOW IN THE HECK DO I STOP GRUB FROM LOADING?!??!?!?

------------------------------

From: "Liverpool_fc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: rc.local part 2.
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 14:38:56 -0400

linux PAM_unix [851]: (system-auth) session closed for user cpu1.

i got this from /var/log/messages.

thank you.

------------------------------

From: "Liverpool_fc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 14:44:09 -0400

i used /bin/cp /etc/termcap /home/cpu1/filename.

thank you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike)
Subject: Porting windows application to Linux
Date: 15 Jun 2001 11:59:10 -0700

Hi,

I need help on porting Windows application created by MS Visual C++ to
Linux (RH). The Windows' application has GUI. Is there any application
porting software available at this time? Thanks for help.

Mike

------------------------------

From: Fulko Hew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: missing man page for "sg" command
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:31:20 -0400

I'm trying to find the man page for the "sg" command
used to switch groups.  I can see it there in /usr/bin
but using it (according to SCO's docs) it doesn't work
and I can't find any Linux docs for it.

I tried:

sg -g nobody -c myprog

(A response via email plus newsgroup would be appreciated.)

Fulko Hew,                           Voice:  905-333-6000  x 6010
Senior Engineering Designer,         Direct: 905-333-6010
SITA Airport Services Toronto        Fax:    905-333-6050
777 Walkers Line,                    Home:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Burlington, Ontario, Canada, L7N 2G1 Work:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Cordes)
Subject: Re: How to stop runaway print jobs?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:38:13 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:47:38 GMT, Andrew Nesbit
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hi... sometimes when I'm printing big postscript files, I notice that
> after one page or so has come out, the formatting or something similar is
> wrong, so I want to cancel it so that I can fix stuff up and recompile,
> etc.  The problem is that usually, by this stage, lpq shows that there
> are no entries (so I think this means that the job is further down the
> line somewhere), and so I have no way of stopping it!  I am using an
> HP LaserJet III, and magicfilter which formats the output with gs.
>
> Taking the printer off line and resetting it doesn't help.  Neither
> does turning it off then on again.  The only way I can get things back
> to a sane state is by rebooting, because I don't want to have to waste
> 200 pages of paper!  Ugh.
>
> Can somebody please tell me a way of stopping these runaway print jobs?
>
> TIA
> -Andrew

 Have you tried using "lprm -a"?

  John

------------------------------

From: "Liverpool_fc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:39:43 -0400

hello,
nevermind. all this message means is that i logged in as cpu1 and logged out
again. ie. no errors on reboot.

thank you.

------------------------------

From: "Anthony DeRobertis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: optimizing for pentium, worth the bother?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:38:58 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Alex K"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> how do i make the system
> use pgcc? just change the /usr/bin/cc symlink?

I'm not in front of a debian box at the moment, but I believe `man
update-alternatives' may help with that.

------------------------------

From: "Anthony DeRobertis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ? :fs type msdos not supported by kernel
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:42:24 -0400

Possibly a missing module?

Try modprobe msdos.

Also, what does cat /proc/filesystems say?

------------------------------

From: "Anthony DeRobertis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: comparing two installations, rpm, libs etc.
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:46:47 -0400

In article <9gclvv$6b0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Christoph Kukulies"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How can I compare the two machines (both having RH 6.1 w/ patches
> installed).

Assuming it's all RPMs:

        rpm -qa | sort > machine_1.lst
        (other machine) rpm -qa | sort > machine_2.lst
        (transfer both to one place)
        diff -dU3 machine_1.lst machine_2.lst | less

------------------------------

From: Klaus Staedtler-Przyborski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.apps
Subject: Re: Moving from PMMail to Kmail
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:51:45 GMT

FEEB schrieb:

> I am planning my move from OS/2 to Linux.  I've been using Linux since 1995
> on various servers, but now I am contemplating to move my workstation to
> Linux as well.  I have a very large archive of PMMail, which I would not
> like to loose.
>
> Is there a way how to convert PMMail folder structure to Kmail?
>
> Any comment would be appreciated.

It seems you're in the wrong newsgroup

But afaik most linux mail-clients seem to get an outlook import managed, and
doing this they are ignoring other (and better) mail clients

And a last word: Kword is (at the moment) not comparable to pmmail (not even to
netscape mail, have you ever tried to connect to an IMAP server ;-)

Klaus Staedtler

From: "P. Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.4.2 Kernel Compiling Problem
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:23:08 GMT

If you're using redhat 7.1, do a make mrproper and then reset all your
kernel preferences.  I was unable to get a clean compile until after I had
done this.

--
Leave the nospam in, correct email address

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Wilson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: Re: BellSouth DSL vs Linux
Date: 15 Jun 2001 19:59:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rick  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is anyone using Linux with Bellsouth's DSL service. I am holding off
>getting DSL, becasue I want to be able to use it under MacOS and Linux
>(Intel & PPC).
>
>Any info (including on how to set up Linux to use DSL) is greatly
>appreciated. I have NO experience with connecting Linux through
>ethernet.

I'm using Telocity with no problems (BellSloth? Hello? BELLSLOTH?!?!?)
other than their periodic incompetence, an affliction of ALL broadband
providers IMNSHO.

I'm sure Mindspring/Earthlink would be comparable...the advantage of them
and Telocity is the *external* modem/gateway.

--
  Tom Wilson          | Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to
  SAS Institute Inc.  | reinvent it, poorly.

------------------------------

From: Michael Heiming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: missing man page for "sg" command
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:29:25 +0200

Fulko Hew wrote:

> I'm trying to find the man page for the "sg" command
> used to switch groups.  I can see it there in /usr/bin
> but using it (according to SCO's docs) it doesn't work
> and I can't find any Linux docs for it.
>
> I tried:
>
> sg -g nobody -c myprog
>
> (A response via email plus newsgroup would be appreciated.)

> Fulko Hew,                           Voice:  905-333-6000  x 6010
> Senior Engineering Designer,         Direct: 905-333-6010
> SITA Airport Services Toronto        Fax:    905-333-6050
> 777 Walkers Line,                    Home:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Burlington, Ontario, Canada, L7N 2G1 Work:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Did you try?
'sg --help'

Michael Heiming

------------------------------

From: Bruce Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: what is the format of a mp3 cd?
Date: 15 Jun 2001 21:28:50 +0100

Ronald Cole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Bruce Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> So I'm afraid you'll need to experiment, because players vary.
>
> Sounds like the minimal standard is a root directory containing 8.3
> named files in ASCIIbetical order.  I can live with that.  Thanks!

Unfortunately that's true, yes.  It depends what kind of thing you
want to record, and how you want to listen to it, but you may find
having >100 tracks in one blob annoyingly difficult to navigate.
Especially if the player doesn't provide a resume feature.  For some
things it'll be fine, though.

Personally, I'd recommend going for something like the Soul player
(there's an equivalent sold under a different name which may be easier
to get in the US, but I don't remember the name) rather than the very
cheapest you can find.  Paying a bit more gets you better navigation
(so directories make sense, and in general it's easier to record stuff
so it plays in the order you expect), ID3 reading, and resume---I
guess cheaper players may have one or more of these, but the one I
happened to choose (which has SMART written on it---I think it's
isomorphic to the MPTrip) didn't.

But it depends what you want to do with it, obviously.

------------------------------

From: "Henrik Andersen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MySQL??
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:31:14 +0200

Hi I'm a Linux Newbie....

So' here's a newbie question:

Is there a distribution where MySQL is included???

And PHP support of course....

Write me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Best Regards Henrik Andersen, Denamark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yongchun Zhang)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Problems using RH 7.1 with SiS 630 Graphics Card
Date: 15 Jun 2001 13:36:39 -0700

I generated the above error messages by running "make boot" instead of "make bzImage"
for kernel-2.4.2-2.

I just downloaded source for kernel 2.4.5 and build the kernel as per in that
reference. The build of the kernel was successful. But when i reboot it, the machine
halts at the phase of searching for isapnp cards, with the screen kind of "desolved",
very weird.

I am gonna rebuild the bzImage for 2.4.2-2 to see if I had any luck. :-(

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to regenerate RPM database?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:40:08 -0400

I tried to upgrade my Linux distribution from one release to the next.
It was so difficult to do the configuration of the new release that I
just restored everything back to the previous release. Or so I
thought. In any case, the RPM database is no good: it thinks I have
the new release installed, when I do not.

I tried

rpm --rebuilddb

and it rummages around for a little while, but the database still
thinks I have the new release in there and I can tell that I do not.

What must be done for it to REALLY rebuild the database; i.e., look at
everything on the machine and use the right RPMs in there? Or is this
impossible?

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Ebbitt)
Subject: Re: what was that game?
Date: 15 Jun 2001 21:09:29 GMT

>>I am trying to find the name and eventually the source code for a game that
>>came with one of the 6.x versions of Red Hat linux. It might have been
>>"marbles" or "sameGame"? It was played by clicking on a colored sphere, and
>>all like-colored spheres touching it would then disappear, and the stack
>>would drop down.... Any Ideas?

That's SameGame.  My RH 6.1 system also has SameGnome, the same but with
a prettier interafce.

--
Larry Ebbitt - Linux + OS/2 - Atlanta

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: gtk-config
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:47:00 +0200

In alt.os.linux Jack Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Did you use apt-get to install gnapster?

apparently he didn't :-)

> Wroot wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to install gnapster, but ./configure fails (can't find gtk-config)

That's OK.

>> Somebody told me that gtk-config is in libgtk*. I tried installing libgtk1.2,

It's in

  dpkg -S gtk-config
  libgtk1.2-dev: /usr/bin/gtk-config

>> libgtk-dev and libgtk1.2-dev with

be careful! You want to install only the last of the following.

>> apt-get install libgtk1.2
>> apt-get install libgtk-dev
>> apt-get install libgtk1.2-dev
>>
>> but all of these fail because of unresolvable dependencies:

Well, fix your current install first!

>> $ apt-get install libgtk1.2-dev
>> Reading Package Lists... Done
>> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:

!! yep. Please follow the advice. You have a fouled install already.

>> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>>   gnapster: Depends: gdk-imlib1 (>= 1.9.10-3) but 1.9.8-4 is to be installed

OK, you fouled up by installing gnapster! uninstall it. You see the
gnapster you apparently force-installed depends on packages (which
aren't there) which would be undercut by your (correct) install of
gdk-dev.

>>             Depends: libart2 (>= 1.2.13-6) but 1.0.56-3 is to be installed
>>             Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.3-1) but 2.1.3-18 is to be installed

Eh! Yes, you definitely force-installed a gnapster from an incompatible
distro. You must uninstall it before you go any further.

>>             Depends: libdb3 (>= 3.2.9-1) but it is not installable
>>             Depends: libesd0 (>= 0.2.22-4) or
>>                      libesd-alsa0 (>= 0.2.22-4) but it is not going to be installed
>>             Depends: libgnome32 (>= 1.2.13-6) but 1.0.56-3 is to be installed
>>             Depends: libgnomesupport0 (>= 1.2.13-6) but 1.0.56-3 is to be installed
>>             Depends: libgnomeui32 (>= 1.2.13-6) but 1.0.56-3 is to be installed
>>             Depends: libgnorba27 (>= 1.2.13-6) but 1.0.56-3 is to be installed
>>             Depends: libgtk1.2 (>= 1.2.10-1) but 1.2.7-1 is to be installed
>>             Depends: liborbit0 (>= 0.5.8) but 0.5.0-5 is to be installed
>>             Depends: xlibs (> 4.0.3) but it is not installable
>>   libgtk1.2-dev: Depends: libglib1.2-dev but it is not going to be installed
>> E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a
>solution).
>>
>> Is this a bug in the packaging of Potato?

No. It's doing its job. You on the other hand, are being a menace, and
you need protecting from yourself.