Linux-Networking Digest #749, Volume #9           Sat, 2 Jan 99 05:13:51 EST

Contents:
  Re: FA310TX with linux....making it work (Larry Mintz)
  Re: After IP Masquerade done ?? ("Robert C. Paulsen, Jr.")
  Re: ipfwadm (ftp port problem) (Eric Jorgensen)
  Shell Scrip for Telnet (Chan Tin Lok)
  Re: corrupted Netware disk (Scott Hessel)
  Weird netcard error ("Samuel Liddicott (WWH)")
  Re: Minimal BOOT installation for ethernetcard. (William Burrow)
  Re: NOSPAM in addresses.. (David Steuber)
  Re: Newbie question: Internet on my laptop using a school Windows NT network (David
Steuber)
  need help with shell script ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: fetchmail problems... (David Steuber)
  Re: Linksys Ethernet (James Bliss)
  graphical login screen?? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: @home Cable modem ("KJT")
  Re: Help with cable modem ("A.L.Grendel")
  NE2000 PnP card problem ("John Winnard")
  Help with c-masqdialer-server ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: RedHat ppp/PAP woes ("Christian Tagtachian")
  High Level Network Engineer!!! Immediate Need ("icesjobs")
  Re: How to build a Linux cluster? ("KJT")
  Re: DLink DFE-530TX and Linux (Kelvin Leung)
  Re: 3com netelligent 10/100 tx embedded (Kazin)
  IP Forwarding corrupts FTP uploads an downloads (Steven P Poulsen)
  Re: Compaq 10 and 10/100 (Eric Jorgensen)
  Problem with in.pop3d; mail reduplicates! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Mintz)
Subject: Re: FA310TX with linux....making it work
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:50:50 GMT

John Meissen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: >make dep clean modules modules_install %zlilo

: Now he rebuilds and installs the modules? Unless by '%zlilo' he means
: either 'zImage' or 'vmlinuz'

Now, this is something that I can comment on.  The README file that comes
with the 2.0.x Linux kernels suggests using 'make zlilo' instead, since that
will build the compressed image *and* run lilo to update the boot links.
There is, as far as I know, no '%' needed.  I have used 'make zlilo' to build
kernels from 2.0.0 to 2.0.36, so I know that it works.  I was unaware, however,
that you could inovke multiple targets in one make call, so I have always
done the make calls separately for each of the targets I needed to run.

Larry

------------------------------

From: "Robert C. Paulsen, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: After IP Masquerade done ??
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:50:48 GMT

Joekie wrote:

> I have configured IP Masquerade on my Linux box and it work fine with my
> other Win95 Machine on LAN.
>
> By the way, It is posible to do this :-
>
> Can anyone tell me how to configure so that the modem dial when the client
> from Win95 get access to the Internet and the line drop if nobody get access
> to the Internet ???
>
> Thanks in advance ....
>
> Joekie Thong

Look for diald.

--
Robert Paulsen                         http://paulsen.home.texas.net
If my return address contains "ZAP." please remove it. Sorry for the

------------------------------

From: Eric Jorgensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ipfwadm (ftp port problem)
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:50:52 GMT

"su"
        "modprobe ip_masq_ftp"

 - Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chan Tin Lok)
Subject: Shell Scrip for Telnet
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:51:01 GMT

Does anybody know how to write a shell script to automatically telnet to a system and
enter the username and password?

------------------------------

From: Scott Hessel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: corrupted Netware disk
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:51:06 GMT

Pieter Dumon wrote:

> Yesterday we had a harddisk crash on our Netware 3.12 system.
> It's, off course the disk with the data we needed for today.
> We tried to mount the disk in a Linux system. Allthough Linux
> supports the Netware file system, it doesn't want to mount it,
> the well-known masterblock error.
> Does anyone know of utilities to read & repair that disk under Linux?
> We could also try to run a Netware server on Linux (Samba), and then
> access it through ncp. Is there anyone with experience in the field?
>
> Pieter Dumon

>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>  http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~pdumon
>
>  ICQ  : 12428974
> ---------------------------------------

While not a Linux-style answer....

If your drive is not spinning at all (listen closely when you turn on
the server), then try giving the HDD a whack with a screwdriver to free
up the R/W head.   Hopefully it'll spin up (and stay up) long enough for
you to get a decent backup of the server.  I've used this on old servers
(Compaq SystemPro's) and various old PCs, and it's worked most of the
time.

You also may want to look into a RAID solution for your NetWare server
in the future.

Children, don't try this at home.  These are trained professionals....

-Scott H.

------------------------------

From: "Samuel Liddicott (WWH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Weird netcard error
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 08:51:48 -0000

I'm starting to get loads of these errors on my server.
For some reason my server was delivered in promiscuous mode.  If I disable
promiscuous mode then all network communications die.

And some times, between 1 and 5 times every few days, network traffic will
just stop anyway, giving these errors every time some traffic should be sent
out (like a ping) and the only fix I can find is a soft reboot.

[Every few seconds these errors will appear on /var/log/messages once it has
gone wrong]
Dec 31 01:22:07 wwh kernel: eth0: Transmit timeout, status 0d 2000.
Dec 31 01:22:07 wwh kernel: eth0: Promiscuous mode enabled.

The netcard is a Realtek 8139

I searched the web can cannot find the meaning of status 0d 2000, although
other timeout errors were explained.

Ideas?

--

WWH Editor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Minimal BOOT installation for ethernetcard.
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:42:04 GMT

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 14:52:59 +0100,
Juergen Berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I have put an ethernet-card (NE2000) in a PC. On this PC no OS is
>> istalled. Now I want to create a BOOT-disk, that it is possible to
>> boot
>> from this
>> disk  (is not the problem)  and than connecting the PC to the LAN and
>> copy files from the server.
>> Which files are needed on the BOOT disk ?

The absolute minimum is a copy of the kernel on the boot diskette with
a few bits set appropriately.  Read Documentation/nfsroot.txt in the
Linux source tree.  Compile a kernel as indicated and pay attention to
the following section for ease of application:

3.1)  Writing the kernel onto a floppy using dd:
        As always you can just write the kernel onto a floppy using dd,
        but then it's not possible to use kernel command lines at all.
        To substitute the 'root=' parameter, create a dummy device on any
        linux system with major number 0 and minor number 255 using mknod:

                mknod /dev/boot255 c 0 255

        Then copy the kernel zImage file onto a floppy using dd:

                dd if=/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage of=/dev/fd0

        And finally use rdev to set the root device:

                rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/boot255

        You can then remove the dummy device /dev/boot255 again. There
        is no real device available for it.
        The other two kernel command line parameters cannot be substi-
        tuted with rdev. Therefore, using this method the kernel will
        by default use RARP and/or BOOTP, and if it gets an answer via
        RARP will mount the directory /tftpboot/<client-ip>/ as its
        root. If it got a BOOTP answer the directory name in that answer
        is used.

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1998 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: NOSPAM in addresses..
Date: 01 Jan 1999 23:30:37 -0500

David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

-> I get very little spam these days.  I think some of the spammers are
-> getting the message.  If you want to advertise, set up a website and
-> buy ads on the search engines and other high traffic sites.
-> Interested potential customers will come to you if you offer a
-> legitimate bussiness.

Jynx!  I got two today.  Both were identical from the same sender.
Who the hell writes that bulk mailing software?  They are idiots.  All
they have to do is look at majordomo to see how to do it right.

It's not just the spam.  It's the same spam.

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

"Hackers penetrate and ravage delicate, private, and publicly owned
computer systems, infecting them with viruses and stealing materials
for their own ends.  These people, they're, they're  terrorists."

-- Secret Service Agent Richard Gill

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie question: Internet on my laptop using a school Windows NT network
Date: 02 Jan 1999 01:10:35 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michel Taal) writes:

-> I have a laptop with Red Hat 5.2. On school we have a Windows NT
-> network and can use internet. I can connect my laptop to the
-> schoolnetwork using my pcmcia ethernetcard.
->
-> How can I setup Red Hat 5.2 so I can also use Internet on my laptop?

You need some information from your network admin before you can do
this:

1) Your IP address, or the address of the DHCP server.
2) IP address of the default gateway.
3) At least one DNS host name or IP.

If you are running X, Red Hat probably has a nice configuration tool
for you to use.  I am using SuSE 5.3, so things are a bit different
for me.  If you have to use DHCP, then I can't help.  See if the
HOWTOs have something on that.

In SuSE, I set my IP in /etc/rc.config and then run a script that
updates the world.  My DNS goes in the same file.  That information is
used to create a file called /etc/resolv.conf which looks like this:

search domain.com
nameserver dns1.domain.com
nameserver dns2.domain.com

The last thing you need to do is configure your routing table so that
networking works.  This is also where the default gateway comes in.
You need that to get off of the local subnet.  Look for a file named
/etc/route.conf.  It contains your routing information and looks
something like this:

destination   gateway     gen mask       iface
10.7.7.0      0.0.0.0     255.255.255.0  eth0
default       10.7.7.9

Do man ifconfig for setting up your NIC.  You should have a start up
script that calls ifconfig to set your IP address.  You might have a
script called /etc/pcmcia/network that calls ifconfig to set the IP
address.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: need help with shell script
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 08:48:55 GMT

Hi guys,

I am a sysadmin of a small local bbs. I am running RH linux release 5.0, with
the C shell.

I desperately need to have a script that will do the following:

-Watch all people logging in and out and report as people come and go ( like a
sort of incremental who).
-Every 5 minutes or so display te number of people logged in and logged out.

I have been trying to write a script for this, but not yet succeeded as i dont
know much about unix internals.

Can someone help out / give me some ideas / point me to a place where i can
download a similar script?
I would be very grateful.
Please reply only to [EMAIL PROTECTED] .
Cheers!

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: fetchmail problems...
Date: 02 Jan 1999 00:24:07 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nicholas Barry) writes:

-> Now I've searched the FAQ and the fetchmail home, but I can't find any
-> info on what this status code means.  If I could get that info I might
-> get a lot farther with the reason for this failure.  Normal POP3 mail works
-> with my mail host at my ISP, but I can't get fetchmail to get mail via
-> POP3 from the very same host.  I'm very open to any suggestions.

I've been fortunate enough to have fetchmail work for me on the first
attempt, so I have no trouble shooting experience.  Never the less, I
will try to help since no one else has come forward.

Here is the entry from my ~/.fetchmailrc file:

poll pop.host.com with proto POP3 and options no dns timeout 60
    user "user" there with password "password" is david here

I can run fetchmail with no arguments to work with no problems.  I got
fetchmail from http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail.  I am running
4.7.0.  I have sendmail listening on port 25.

If what I have matches what you have, and you are still having
problems, the next step is to figure out what the interaction is
between fetchmail and your pop server.

You can talk to your pop server directly by telneting to port 110 on
the host that has your server.  Check out RFC-1225 for commands that
the POP3 server uses.

Example POP3 Session

    S: <wait for connection on TCP port 110>
    C: <open connection>
    S:    +OK dewey POP3 server ready (Comments to: [EMAIL PROTECTED])
    C:    USER mrose
    S:    +OK mrose is a real hoopy frood
    C:    PASS secret
    S:    +OK mrose's maildrop has 2 messages (320 octets)
    C:    STAT
    S:    +OK 2 320
    C:    LIST
    S:    +OK 2 messages (320 octets)
    S:    1 120
    S:    2 200
    S:    .
    C:    RETR 1
    S:    +OK 120 octets
    S:    <the POP3 server sends message 1>
    S:    .
    C:    DELE 1
    S:    +OK message 1 deleted
    C:    RETR 2
    S:    +OK 200 octets
    S:    <the POP3 server sends message 2>
    S:    .
    C:    DELE 2
    S:    +OK message 2 deleted
    C:    QUIT

You might get some clues with telnet.  I don't know.  If you have a
smooth session with telnet on port 110, then you may want to get the
latest fetchmail (4.7.0), build it, install it, set up your
~/.fetchmailrc file, and try again.

The FAQ G3 also mentions running fetchmail -V to get diagnostic
information.  Have you done that?  It might be more useful than the
diagnostic codes you got.  That error number does not show up in the
fetchmail source anywhere.  It may be socket related.  I am not a
Linux C programmer (yet.  Done Windows though.), so I don't know all
the details of what goes on with sockets and threads in Linux.

See if any of this helps.  If not, you should at least have more
information to post.

From: James Bliss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linksys Ethernet
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:36:17 GMT

Yes, I have that exact card.  You need to make sure that you know the
the base address (io) and the IRQ when you do the install.  This should
work rather smoothly for you.  I installed Redhat 5.0 and it recognized
it right away.

jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: graphical login screen??
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:36:18 GMT

Hi all,  I am just wondering if anyone knows how can I get a Linux graphical
login screen just like the HP-unix? I have my win95 machine connected to my
Linux box, and I am using Omni-X to run X-windows from my win95 machine. The
problem I encountered is that when i connect to the Linux from Omni-X program
(on win95 machine), the screen just goes blank.  Do I need to install some
programs? Please advise. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rgds,
  CH

From: "KJT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: @home Cable modem
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 09:06:25 GMT

MBSHartford wrote in message ...
>Thanks for taking a look. I think the ethernet card is correctly installed,
>as I get the message on bootup that shows the card has been detected.
>When I ping a site, no packets are returned or detected.
>
>I've got the cable modem working under Win98, and I've tried to load in the
>proper information via the netconf utility under RH 5.2. As I understand
it,
>my netcard is meant to communicate with my cable modem, which then connects
>through a gateway to a pair of dns servers. I've been given the following
>configuration settings via my service provider

I got the cable modem working by doing a little research first.  I read the
Cable Modem mini-HOWTO like you did, but I also checked the RedHat Linux
@Home configuration site at http://www.monmouth.com/~jay/Linux/.  I could
not get the DHCP configuration to work though.  I setup the NIC by using the
network config via control-panel in XWindows. I'm using RH 5.2 and the NIC
is a 3Com PCI 3C590.

These are the settings I used:

NAMES Section:
Hostname - Same as the Computer name setting in Win95/98
Domain - This is the Sub Domain setting that @Home gives you.
Nameservers - The Primary and Secondary DNS IP

HOSTS Section:
IP - This should be handled by DHCP, but I set it as a static address since
I couldn't get DHCP to work. This is the Computer IP setting.
Name - Your Hostname again.
Nickname - It's an alias for your Hostname. Not really needed.

INTERFACE Section:
Interface: Edit this setting. If your NIC is configured it should be eth0.
IP - The Computer IP setting.
Proto - You can try setting this to DHCP, it may work for you.  If not, set
it to none and the other settings you put in should work.
Atboot - Set to yes if you want it to load at boot time.

ROUTING Section:
Default Gateway - The default gateway setting they gave you.
Default Gateway Device - eth0

I haven't setup news or mail yet...  But web browsing works fine. You just
setup the proxy settings the same way you would in Win95/98 with either
Netscape or Explorer.

Hope this helps.

Kevin J. Thompson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "A.L.Grendel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with cable modem
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:38:11 GMT

One problem still remains though. When using Wingate or Winproxy, your
clients have to be configured differently, whereas ip-masq needs only a
gateway configured for the clients, wingate also needs a DNS since it is a
proxy server. So you have to change the client tcp/ip protocol setting each
time you switch to another operating system on your server....
I believe nat32 works in a similar way as ip-masq.

Alex Grendel

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

From: "John Winnard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NE2000 PnP card problem
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 23:02:54 -0000

Sorry to add to the noise but...

RedHat 5.1 networking wont accept the Kingston PnP network card in my P300
(It was installed easily in in95 as a standard NE2000 but W95 seems to think
it's a Realtec RTL8019 PnP LAN adapter - who cares - it works just fine).
I'm using the address and IRQ reported by windows on the same machine but it
still fails to find an NE*000 card at the specified address.  I can't find
any docs to help when this happens.

Coincidentally, I can't get the SB AWE32 to work either (can't remember the
specific error message for this one).  My assumption is that it's because
W95 always configures them as PnP devices at runtime - so there resources
may not be set when Linux boots.  This is kind of confirmed by the fact that
I've never had a problem configuring networking on any other Linux
installation (because no previous ones were true PnP cards - though they
were a real pain to get going under windows...).

If anyone has any ideas of how I can get around these problems I'd be very
grateful.

Thanks.
J.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help with c-masqdialer-server
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:39:53 GMT

Hi,

I downloaded, compiled and installed C P Wright's Masqdialer Server on my
Linux box, and also installed the accompanying win95 client on one of our
windows boxes. The server seems to fire up fine if I run it from a prompt,
and as far as I know, I wrote the mserver.conf file OK. However, the README
files stop short of explaining how to configure the mserver executable so
that the client can find it on the right port etc. Am I right in thinking
that I need to add an mserver entry to /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services
(specifying an unused port)???

Any suggestions gratefully received

ben

--
ben ausden
retrovisual

From: "Christian Tagtachian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat ppp/PAP woes
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:40:34 GMT

You will get more debug messages using the kdebug option on the ppp
configuration file.
Also try instead of supplying the IP address in the secrets file, an
asterisc.
I am running RH5.1 ppp with PAP with no problems at all.
Take care
Christian

John Bell escribió en mensaje <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: "icesjobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: High Level Network Engineer!!! Immediate Need
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:42:14 GMT

Looking for a High Level Network Engineer that also has Lan/Wan skills. Must
have exp. with cabletron hubs, ISDN, routers, hubs, SNMP, FDDI, and token
ring. You will work for one of the largest Pharmecutical companies in the
Research Triangle Park in Raleigh North Carolina. This is a contract to perm
position giving you a chance to make sure that this is where you want to be.

Please send resume to [EMAIL PROTECTED] or fax to 919-878-5568

This need is immediate!!!!!!!!!

------------------------------

From: "KJT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to build a Linux cluster?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 09:12:11 GMT

H}kan Millroth wrote in message ...
>"K. K@FKA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>     I would like to build a Linux cluster from 3 computer (PII 300) to
>> become a server for out department  I have no idea where to find
>> documentation on it (if any) or how to do it (if it's possible).

Check out the RedHat Extreme Linux page:
http://www.redhat.com/product.phtml/EX1000

=================================
Kevin J. Thompson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
=================================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kelvin Leung)
Subject: Re: DLink DFE-530TX and Linux
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:42:13 GMT

Do a search in www.dejanews.com, I'm pretty sure that there were some
discussions out there in last month.

Kelvin

------------------------------

From: Kazin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3com netelligent 10/100 tx embedded
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:43:04 GMT

Sweers wrote:

> I have a compaq deskpro that I am running linux on.
>  I cannot get it to find or use 3com netelligent 10/100 tx embedded
> network card.

        The Netelligent cards are made by TI, not by 3Com.  And unfortunately,
they're not supported in Linux, as far as I know, and I looked.  Your
best bet is to purchase another network card, and disable that one.

  Mike Stella                             Software / Systems Engineer
  http://www.sector13.org/kazin            Thirteen Technologies, LLC

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steven P Poulsen)
Subject: IP Forwarding corrupts FTP uploads an downloads
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:43:09 GMT

I just added IP forwarding to my Linux (latest kernel, slackware dist.) and
now every FTP transfer has uploads.  I even tried z-modem through CRT telnet
program and it aborts with CRC errors.  Anyone run across this?

Steve

------------------------------

From: Eric Jorgensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Compaq 10 and 10/100
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:43:11 GMT

Artur Rodrigues wrote:
> =

> HI,
> =

>     I=B4ve a Compaq deskpro EN6400 and my Linux Slackware doesn=B4t rec=
ognize my
> Ethernet Card built-in.

        Compaq NetFlex uses a Ti ThunderLan chip. You may have to recompile
your kernel. Read the ethernet-howto. =

 - Eric

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem with in.pop3d; mail reduplicates!
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:43:15 GMT

Has anyone ever had in.pop3d "recycle" a users mailbox? (so that when they
check their email, the nmbr of messages doubles) It's more noticable whenever
there's large attachments!

--

/ Anders Georgsson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]