Linux-Networking Digest #748, Volume #9           Sat, 2 Jan 99 03:14:17 EST

Contents:
  mars_nwe non-security ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Fax Server under Linux? (Ulrich Eckhardt)
  Re: Dialing in - How-to's ("Thomas Horan")
  Modem choice for Linux (David Shepherd)
  Re: LI on reboot (Blaine Lupulack)
  Re: ODBC ("John Kos")
  Booting from LanWorks BootWare prom - `patch-bootprom' ? (Wolfgang Suttrop E1)
  Re: Restrict login by remote host (somebody)
  Re: linux "router" (Earl Robinson)
  TCP wrappers busted my NFS!?!?!? ("David J. Topper")
  Re: /dev/modem Serial Port PPP? (Green Manalishi)
  FTP server - my stupidity? (James Bliss)
  Re: FTP server - my stupidity? (Ashok Aiyar)
  Re: Help with cable modem (Chad Cunningham)
  IP Forwarding not working! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Trying to fix a dual identify ("Mitchell Maltenfort")
  Re: Easy UNIX editor ("James A. Cleland")
  Re: 5.1 FTP PORTS HELP (Bernard Kenik)
  suche Info zu cipe, pptp, ip-tunneling, vpn ("BFunk")
  Re: email problem. (Andrzej Filip)
  Re: Win95 TCP/IP, Netbios and Samba ("Bart Verspagen")
  Test, please ignore (Cory Casciato)
  Re: how to determine the number of users on a linux system (Stephen Bodnar)
  Re: Newbie question: installing 3com ethernet cards ("Thing")
  Re: pppd Hangs up when calling IBM.net (Thomas Thyberg)
  Re: 2 IP address for 1 ethernet card ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Windows 98 machine can't logon to Linux Server (Mark Worsdall)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: mars_nwe non-security
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:45:35 GMT

mars_nwe 0.99.pl13
RH Linux 5.1/2.0.35

It's really a shame, I've come this far in getting mars_nwe to work, only to
learn that it doesn't provide any security (that I noticed anyway). Or
perhaps it does, but I've yet to find any detailed reference to it. I've
tried using SYSCON from a workstation - it SEEMS to work. It lets me set
user's trustee rights in a given directory, or make them part of a group with
such rights. I have the -t flag on the volumes in question. Then I log in as
that user and I get the most unpredictable behavior. Some times it lets them
see files and directories belonging (as SYSCON sees it) to other users, even
created by other users. I don't mean just file scan rights, but full
read/write access. I've tried setting various default create permissions for
each volume, presently using 711 for directories and 600 for files. I've
tried both a root and non- root supervisor. Deleted the bindery and trustee
directories. With groups and without. I haven't even tried security
equivilances, so that's not the problem.

Still, Any user can often see other user's files, read, write, create and
delete them. On more than one occassion, the same user COULD NOT see their
own files! The only reason I need mars_nwe is because the the UGO rights that
Linux provides don't allow me to place a person into more than one group (at
a time) or allow rights to a file by more than one group.

I'm thinking it's time to ditch this program and take a closer look at Samba.
It's more of a pain to do that way, but at least it works. I'd really like to
see this mars_nwe work, but I need some details, and perhaps an explanation
of how this happened so I can avoid security problems in the future. I've
searched USENET and WWW, but I guess I'm using the wrong query, because
nothing useful turns up.

Help?

FF

From: Ulrich Eckhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Fax Server under Linux?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:47:03 GMT

andy wrote:

> I am looking into setting up a fax server under for a small network. In
> this regard someone placed a message in this newsgroup stating:-
>
> > To cut right to the chase, the combination of whfc and hylafax does
> > *exactly* what you want.
>
> I have heard of hylafax but what is 'WHFC'?
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi,

whfc is a Windows client for HylaFAX.
See http://www.transcom.de/whfc for more informations.

Uli
--
Ulrich Eckhardt                         Tr@nscom GbR
http://people.frankfurt.netsurf.de/uli  http://www.transcom.de

------------------------------

From: "Thomas Horan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dialing in - How-to's
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:47:08 GMT

and Serial-HOWTO

------------------------------

From: David Shepherd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem choice for Linux
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:47:18 GMT

Hi,

I need to buy a modem by the end of this week. Although I will initially
be using it under Win NT to access a Dec Alpha based Unix cluster at
work, I would like in due course to have it running under Linux as well.

Choosing for NT compatibility would appear to be reasonably
straightforward, but is there anything important I need to bear in mind
for Linux compatibility? Will voice/fax modems work under Linux, or
would I be better off with a plain no-frills modem?

I use the S.u.S.E. 5.3 distribution and I live in the UK.

TIA
Dave

------------------------------

From: Blaine Lupulack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: LI on reboot
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:48:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> You have to boot with a DOS disk and type fdisk/mbr to get that
> goddamned boot loader off your Master Boot Record. Hopefully you are
> not running more than one BIOS (like EZ and Promise Bios) that might
> get efff'ed up when you do this -else yu might have to screw with
> that.
>
> Next time you install Linux put Lilo on a boot floppy.

Another option is to use a third party boot manager, like the OS/2 boot
manager. Works for me, doesn't care what disk, what partition, how far.

Blaine Lupulack

------------------------------

From: "John Kos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.vms
Subject: Re: ODBC
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:48:37 GMT

Contact Easysoft http://www.easysoft.com who have a solution.

John Kos

------------------------------

From: Wolfgang Suttrop E1 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Booting from LanWorks BootWare prom - `patch-bootprom' ?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:48:40 GMT

Greetings!
While trying to get remote booting to work with a 3C905B
we recognized that the LanWorks BootWare prom does not like
the mknbi-linux (etherboot/netboot) image format. It jumps into
the first bytes, and hangs up at the magic number.

In an earlier version of the remote-boot-howto there was
some mentioning of a `patch-bootprom' kernel patch, that should allow
making a net-bootable "bpImage" which replaces bootsect.S's disk read
code.
Does anybody know what happened to this patch?
Any other solution (image-generating-tool, intermediate booter, ..)
around?
BTW. what happened to NILO?

Thanks, Wolfgang

---
Wolfgang Suttrop                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: somebody <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Restrict login by remote host
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:48:47 GMT

either take their privs away from their .hosts file ( you maintain them
)
or.. use hosts.equiv

------------------------------

From: Earl Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux "router"
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:48:51 GMT

joe,

you want IP Masqurading. It does all that. see
==> http://www.ipmasq.ddns.org/

-earl robinson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "David J. Topper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TCP wrappers busted my NFS!?!?!?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:49:24 GMT

So I've set up TCP wrappers so that only machines here in the lab can
talk to each other.  But it seems as though doing that prevents me from
being able to NFS mount anything !??!?!?

I've verified the above by simply turning off the wrapper(s) then
restarting mountd.  Afterwards, I am able to mount successfully (eg.,
with wrappers off).

Slackware 3.5 with kernel 2.0.34.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

DT
--
Technical Director, Virginia Center for Computer Music
Programmer / Analyst, Dean's Office (School of A&S)

------------------------------

From: Green Manalishi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /dev/modem Serial Port PPP?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:35:24 GMT

Yes, the Linux dial-out thing is a bitch.  We're in the same PPP jungle.
I'm in a swamp right now and maybe you're in some snakepit.  "Hey!, Are
those some ancient runes over there....."

Green

------------------------------

From: James Bliss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FTP server - my stupidity?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:35:08 GMT

I have installed Redhat linux on a machine, and I am able to ping it,
telnet into it and see the web server.  I initially could not FTP in and
was getting a security error message.  I modified a few security files
which I thought would help, but they did not (I should have kept going
along that track because I think I now know what the problem was).

I then got *REAL SMART* and decided to run ftpshut.  This worked real
well.  Now, even after I reboot the linux box, when I try to ftp into
the box I get the messge
FTP server shut down

I have tried to run in.ftpd but this does not seem to restart the
server.  Please help

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ashok Aiyar)
Subject: Re: FTP server - my stupidity?
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:35:13 GMT

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998 18:19:44 -0600,
    James Bliss ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

>I then got *REAL SMART* and decided to run ftpshut.  This worked real
>well.  Now, even after I reboot the linux box, when I try to ftp into
>the box I get the messge
>FTP server shut down

a) View your ftpd configuration file.  This is usually
   /etc/ftpd/ftpaccess or /etc/ftpaccess
b) In this file locate the line that begins with "shutdown".  In my
   ftpaccess configuration file this line reads as:
   shutdown /etc/ftpd/shutmsg
c) Delete the file that shutdown points to -- in my case /etc/ftpd/shutmsg

"man 5 ftpaccess" for an explanation.

Later,
Ashok
--
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Cunningham)
Subject: Re: Help with cable modem
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:35:41 GMT

Probably, but I doubt it's cheap. Your best bet would be to try and find a free
or cheap windows proxy server. I bet theres some shareware one's around. On the
downside, not all apps can work through a proxy...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: IP Forwarding not working!
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:35:43 GMT

I can't get IP forwarding to work under SuSE Linux.  I am using kernel 2.0.35.

Everything looks right and I am at a total loss as to what could be configured
wrong.

The machine that has the two NICs looks like this:

interloper:/ # cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
1
interloper:/ # route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
10.7.7.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        1 eth0
10.4.5.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        4 eth1
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        4 lo
0.0.0.0         10.4.5.8        0.0.0.0         UG    0      0       20 eth1

interloper:/ # ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
          RX packets:275 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:275 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0

eth1      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:5A:9D:9F:7C
          inet addr:10.4.5.9  Bcast:10.4.5.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          RX packets:1329 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:1309 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          Interrupt:3 Base address:0x300

eth0      Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet  HWaddr 00:10:5A:AA:71:8C
          inet addr:10.7.7.9  Bcast:10.7.7.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          RX packets:49880 errors:47 dropped:0 overruns:0
          TX packets:111364 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0xf880

The eth0 interface is connected to an 8 port hub which this computer is also
connected too.  I have rsh'd into interloper to send this.  The eth1 interface
is attached to a 3Com 521u ISDN router.

Just in case the problem is with my local routing table, that looks like this:

david@solo:/home/david > /sbin/route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
199.234.231.205 0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 dummy0
10.7.7.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        2 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        5 lo
0.0.0.0         10.7.7.9        0.0.0.0         UG    0      0       10 eth0

>From solo, I can ping interloper.  If I try to ping the router, it dials out.
Interloper has no problem pinging the router and solo.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David Steuber

Embrace the penguin!

From: "Mitchell Maltenfort" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trying to fix a dual identify
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 00:26:12 -0700

My real ISP address is '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'

However, my login name at my Linux box is 'mmalten' and the box itself is
named 'nero' so my return address becomes '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'.

Can someone advise on how to beat this?

(No, I'm not using Linux right now.  I spent some time fighting the mail
problems and figured I'd wait a bit before stressing over news on Linux.)

------------------------------

From: "James A. Cleland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Easy UNIX editor
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 02:03:51 -0500

> 'r' followed by the character.

Seriously, man. LEARN about the tool before you start to belittle it ;)

------------------------------

From: Bernard Kenik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: 5.1 FTP PORTS HELP
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:35:55 GMT

This is independent of OS that you use..   Port 21 is a "well known" for
FTP servers. Clients initiate a session and expect the FTP server to
listen on port 21.

------------------------------

From: "BFunk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: fido.ger.linux
Subject: suche Info zu cipe, pptp, ip-tunneling, vpn
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:36:08 GMT

Hallo,

wenn jemand Erfahrungen mit dem cipe-device oder Ähnlichem für ip-tunneling
hat, bitte melden.

Gruß,

BF

------------------------------

From: Andrzej Filip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: email problem.
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:36:09 GMT

"Johannes Töger" wrote:
> when i send a mail to root@localhost, it works.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] does not.
> root@johannes (linked to 10.0.0.101=my comp. in /etc/hosts) works
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] does not work.
> what the hell is wrong???
> i am running slackware 3.5.

try
root@[127.0.0.1]
        and
root@[10.0.0.101]

Warning: not all email servers are willing to accept email
addresses in such form.
It is better ti use DNS FQDN (Fully qualified domain name)
e.g.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Andrzej Filip

------------------------------

From: "Bart Verspagen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.win95
Subject: Re: Win95 TCP/IP, Netbios and Samba
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:36:07 GMT

Bart Verspagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<01be2429$90dfd5c0$d8a67889@bartverspagen>...
> My problem is that in Network environment on Win95, I don't get an icon
for
> the Linux machine. I can ping between the two machines without problems,
> and I can even send a Winpopup message from Linux / Samba to the Win95
> machine. But no icon in the network environment...

Thanks very much to many people who took the trouble to respond. In the
mean time, my problem is solved. There was an option in the smb.conf file
"wins server = no" that caused nmbd to crash. Because I had simply taken
that part from the sample smb.conf file, it hadn't occured to me earlier to
look there. But with the log file of nmbd, it was pretty simple to figure
out what was going on.

------------------------------

From: Cory Casciato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Test, please ignore
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:36:24 GMT

Test

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Bodnar)
Subject: Re: how to determine the number of users on a linux system
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:38:44 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> What is the command that I can
> invoke which will display all the users?
>
> thanks in advance

If you mean current users logged into the system,
try the who command

Stephen

------------------------------

From: "Thing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie question: installing 3com ethernet cards
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:38:42 GMT

depends on the distribution linux only normally probes for 1 nic u add a
line into lilo.conf to tell it to search for the second with red hat but use
a module in debian.  my site might help u www.kascha.ml.org

Thing

------------------------------

From: Thomas Thyberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pppd Hangs up when calling IBM.net
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:38:50 GMT

"EJ" == Eric Jorgensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

EJ> Thomas Thyberg wrote:

>> According to http://help.ibm.net/helplib/linuxp.html one also should
>> prefix ones username with "internet.". Is that not the case?
EJ>
EJ>     Back when I had an ibm.net account, which i used exclusively with a
EJ> notebook computer that booted OS/2 and Win95 (job took me on the road a
EJ> lot), which lapsed about a year ago, it was usinet.username

Being a Swede, I registered as such and received the instructions to
use "internet.seinet.username". I've tried both that and
"seinet.username" and also "usinet.username" and "internet.usinet.username",
but no luck. I get an immediate "Hangup" before I receive any respons
from the ppp-server... Maybe it just doesn't work in Mexico from where I
tried (where I live at the moment).

EJ>     If you like, I can ask. I have a friend who works at IBM Global
EJ> Services.

Yes, please! I would appriciate any kind of help to get this thing
to work...

/TT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 2 IP address for 1 ethernet card
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 06:38:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Alexander Brinkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >     Is it possible for Linux to assign 2 different IP addresses with
> > different subnet mask for 1 ethernet
> > card? Or do I need to have 2 ethernet card? The reason I need this is to
>
> Yes, it is possible to assign 2 ip addresses to 1 card.
> It's in the kernel configuration somewhere in the network options (that
> means you'll have to recompile your kernel to have it enabled).

It can be loaded as a module, therefore re-compiling might not be necessary.

--
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: Mark Worsdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 98 machine can't logon to Linux Server
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 06:48:55 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Remo Goetschi
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>"Jose Antonio C. Baduria" wrote:
>
>> Good Afternoon!!
>
>It is already evening. Never mind :-)
>
>>     I have successfully connected Windows 95 clients with my Linux
>> Server. However, when I
>> tried to connect a Windows 98 client, it can't logon to the Linux
>> Server. I made the same settings
>> that worked with Windows 95 but it won't work with Windows 98. Did I
>> miss any settings? Does
>> anyone knows how to connect Windows 98 clients with Linux Server? Any
>> help would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>
>You must tell us HOW You have connected the Windows98 Client to Linux?
>Did You use Samba?

Maybe encrypted password problem, see the c:\windows\network.txt file &
edit your registry.

--
Mark Worsdall - Oh no, I've run out of underpants :(
Home:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]  WEB site:- http://www.worsdall.demon.co.uk