From: Vincent Stemen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Errors compiling portmap - please help
Date: 18 Jan 1999 00:59:57 -0700

Is there anybody here who has had experience compiling portmap under
Linux?  I have tried compiling portmap_4 and portmap_5beta and get
similar results.  Here is the output of make for portmap_5beta.

===============
cc -Dconst= -Dperror=xperror -DHOSTS_ACCESS -DCHECK_PORT  -DFACILITY=LOG_MAIL  o
portmap.c: In function `xperror':
portmap.c:299: argument `what' doesn't match prototype
/usr/include/stdio.h:134: prototype declaration
portmap.c: In function `reg_service':
portmap.c:353: warning: passing arg 2 of `svc_sendreply' from incompatible poine
portmap.c:362: warning: passing arg 2 from incompatible pointer type
portmap.c:362: warning: passing arg 3 from incompatible pointer type
portmap.c:404: warning: passing arg 2 of `svc_sendreply' from incompatible poine
portmap.c:416: warning: passing arg 2 from incompatible pointer type
portmap.c:416: warning: passing arg 3 from incompatible pointer type
portmap.c:450: warning: passing arg 2 of `svc_sendreply' from incompatible poine
portmap.c:462: warning: passing arg 2 from incompatible pointer type
portmap.c:462: warning: passing arg 3 from incompatible pointer type
portmap.c:477: warning: passing arg 2 of `svc_sendreply' from incompatible poine
portmap.c:489: warning: passing arg 2 from incompatible pointer type
portmap.c:501: warning: passing arg 2 of `svc_sendreply' from incompatible poine
portmap.c: In function `callit':
portmap.c:648: warning: passing arg 2 from incompatible pointer type
portmap.c:648: warning: passing arg 3 from incompatible pointer type
portmap.c:678: warning: passing arg 3 from incompatible pointer type
portmap.c:678: warning: passing arg 5 from incompatible pointer type
portmap.c:679: warning: passing arg 2 of `svc_sendreply' from incompatible poine
make: *** [portmap.o] Error 1
===============

I am running
kernel 2.0.35
libc-5.4.23
gcc-2.7.2.3

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

--
---
Vincent Stemen    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Try Linux!  The operating system of choice for those who are tired of
            trying to perform real tasks with toy operating systems,
            or operating systems that have been stripped of
            functionality just so they can charge you to put it back
            in.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RedHat 5.2/NIS/netgroups
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:39:12 GMT

  Hi,

 Thorsten, I forgot to add that the netgroups we work with
are very large, we have hierarchical netgroups, of 17,000 users.

--Ariel

P.S. Nevertheless, it works fine on Solaris, Irix, NetApp filer.

From: e-account <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.misc,comp.unix.questions
Subject: running smtp server and pop3 server on same machine ?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:07:37 +0100

==============AEE7E47C8E928F0918BC0A57

Hello,

Is it possible to run both smtp and pop3 servers on the same machine?
If so, are they able to transfer mail from the one to the other?
We seem to have some problem to implement it.

Feel free to comment.

Thanks

==============AEE7E47C8E928F0918BC0A57

begin:vcard
n:Cant;Bart
tel;home:+32 16 23.71.56
tel;work:+32 2 714.45.63
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.ficsgrp.com
org:FICS Group NV
adr:;;Excelsiorlaan 80;Zaventem;;1900;Belgium
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Jr. Functional Analist (Retail Internet Banking)
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Linux networking weirdness ? daemons rejecting ?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 09:29:50 GMT

Hello all, sorry for the cross-post, but I figured this is relevant to both
newsgroups ?

Err. I've got RedHat 5.2 running on my laptop, with a PCMCIA network card,
and I seem to have a bit of a problem with all the network daemons running on
the box.

I can't seem to telnet into it ?
neither can my colleagues rlogin into it ?
and although I have WU-FTPD RPM installed and I believe it's running, any
connections get *rejected* ???

I have the Portmap RPM installed ... I think that might help ...

It's a Twinhead Slimnote VX running RedHat Linux 5.2 installed from the
official boxed CD. I haven't got a clue as to how to fix it.

Tried poking through /etc/inet.conf and /etc/hosts.*

no help ...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Benjohn007)
Subject: Re: Samba Troubles
Date: 18 Jan 1999 15:37:17 GMT

I know the answer to the first part.
it is because NT SP 4 uses password encryption. you have to disable this in the
NT registry. there is a file included with the samba packages called *.reg
that'll do this for u. also check ur smb.conf file and look for the line that
talks about encryption

------------------------------

From: Peter Farmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux time configuration
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:07:14 +0000

==============6FF130C23A8020BBBCA16A19

Christian Rummey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can anybody tell me how a linux - time demon can be configured ?
>
> I'm familiar with e.g. the IRIX timeslave, but not with timed, and
> couldn't figure out how to get this to work correctly.
>
> thanks
> cr
>
> --
> Christian Rummey, Dipl. Chem.
> Institut fuer Organische Chemie, Universitaet Wuerzburg
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www-organik.chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de/mitarbeiter/rummey

First add an entry in your /etc/networks (on all the machines to use
timed) something like this

network-nickname    network-ip-address
example
network    192.168.0.0

then on the master timed server run the following command

timed -M -F hostname

on the slaves run the command

timed -n network-nickname

the slaves will now find the master and all will sync up

--
Peter Farmer
Product Support

==============6FF130C23A8020BBBCA16A19

<HTML>
Christian Rummey wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Hi,
<P>can anybody tell me how a linux - time demon can be configured ?
<P>I'm familiar with e.g. the IRIX timeslave, but not with timed, and
<BR>couldn't figure out how to get this to work correctly.
<P>thanks
<BR>cr
<P>--
<BR>Christian Rummey, Dipl. Chem.
<BR>Institut fuer Organische Chemie, Universitaet Wuerzburg
<BR><A
HREF="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>
<BR><A
HREF="http://www-organik.chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de/mitarbeiter/rummey">http://www-organik.chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de/mitarbeiter/rummey</A></BLOCKQUOTE>
First add an entry in your /etc/networks (on all the machines to use timed)
something like this
<P>network-nickname&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; network-ip-address
<BR>example
<BR>network&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 192.168.0.0
<P>then on the master timed server run the following command
<P>timed -M -F hostname
<P>on the slaves run the command
<P>timed -n network-nickname
<P>the slaves will now find the master and all will sync up
<PRE>--&nbsp;
Peter Farmer
Product Support
Simon Murby Associates
Tel&nbsp; +44 (0) 171 960 2900 - Fax +44 (0) 171 960 2901
<A HREF="http://www.sma.uk.com">http://www.sma.uk.com</A></PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

From: Scott Field <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: lpd won't accept print jobs from other machines
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:31:54 +1100

I set up an NT box as a lpr client to print to RH5.2 lpd this afternoon.

I put the NT box's name and address in the Linux /etc/hosts file and its name in
/etc/hosts.lpd and /etc/hosts.equiv,
but you should only need /etc/hosts.lpd.

But when I went to print from LPR on the NT box (after setting up TCP/IP printing on
NT), I got a print error.

The linux var/log/messages said unknown printer because the NT box had made the
printer name all uppercase, but on the linux box
the printer was mixed case. So I just defined a new printer on the linux box with an
upper case name. (I could have just given an
extra name to the existing printer, but hey that would have been too easy.)

But NT still wouldnt print, although Linux /var/log/messages showed an useless kernel
message about polling lp0.

Finally I set up a user on the NT box with the same name as a user on the linux box
(must be in upper case on the linux box!). Then

the NT box successfully printed to the printer attached to linux box.

Now in the lpd man page it says the rs: option is used to specify that the print user
on the remote machine must have an
account on the lpd machine, as an extra security measure as well as hosts.lpd. But the
RH printtool does not allow you to set this
option, and furthermore warns about editting /etc/printcap. And since rs: does not
appear in my /etc/printcap entry, but
the linux box insists on a valid user from NT before it will play, then does the rs:
option in /etc/printcap entry default to true?

What gives?

Scott

------------------------------

From: Brian McCauley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp numbering--control?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:53:45 +0000

"Timothy Chu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Is there a way to control what my ppp connections are numbered?  I
> currently have 2 ppp connections--a dial-up isp connection and a serial
> cable ppp connection.  At this point, they're arbitrarily numbered based
> on which pppd command is run first.  I want to force the modem dial-ip
> connection to be ppp0, and the serial connection to be ppp1.    Is there a
> way?

Why does this question go in bursts?  It goes unasked for months then
appears several times in the course of a couple of days.

This has happened a couple of times before.

I sill believe the answer I gave yesterday ("No") is correct (at least
as of pppd 2.3.5).  If you didn't like that answer why not join the
existing thread rather than starting a new one?

--
     \\   ( )  No male bovine  | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

------------------------------

From: Lei Miao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.misc,comp.unix.questions
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:19:43 +1100

Yes, it's possible. The two functions are served by two separate
daemons. For outgoing SMTP mail, you would use an SMTP server
such as sendmail and for retrieving email to a client, you would need
a POP server such as popd. There is no issue with transfering mail
between then. When an email arrives at the SMTP server and if it
happens to be the destination SMTP server, the message would be
delivered by the SMTP server (deposited in a file usually). It's left
there until an email retrieval client gets to it, this could be Unix mail

clients such as mail or it would be a POP client.

HTH,
Lei

------------------------------

From: Ole Jacob Taraldset <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: smbmount seg faults on RH 5.2
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:20:19 +0100

I have some problems with smbmount. I use RH 5.2 and the
smbfs-2.0.2-6.i386.rpm found in redhat contrib. I do the following:
/usr/sbin/smbmount //stella/ojt /mnt/stella -U ojt
and as soon as I hit return it seg faults. I have tried to recompile the
package, but smbmount still seg faults.

Please email as well as post here as I'm not a regular reader of this
NG.

Ole Jacob
--
GexCon AS, Bergen, Norway  <http://www.gexcon.com>
Tel : +47 55574334 (office) +47 55558650 (home)

------------------------------

From: Jonathan Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can I force a route?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 05:38:28 GMT

First of all, please pardon me if this has been covered, but my newsreader
shows over 1800 threads and I don't want to read them all... Z-)

I was wondering if there is a way to force network packets to take a certain
route through 'net land.

Reason is, I am having trouble accessing certain websites when I connect via
PPP (POTS dialup, 28,8k modem) thru my local ISP (download speeds
less than 10 bytes/sec). When I connect via my other ISP (long distance,
but they give me a UNIX shell), I have no trouble getting these sites,
they download like a breeze.

It is website-specific, not an intermittent thing that can be traced to
my phone line. It isn't browser specific either, 'cause I get the same
results with Netscape 4.05, Lynx, Netscape on Windows computer, etc.

SO....is there a way I can force the packets to travel thru some other
network points so I can view these sites without paying for a long-distance
modem call?

Specs: Linux kernel 2.0.18 (I think), Redhat v5.0, PPP/28,8k modem

I guess I could whine and complain to my local ISP, too...waaaaah!

--Jonathan Johnson
skipj(at)teleport(dot)com

------------------------------

From: Omegaman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to set up a DNS ??
Date: 18 Jan 1999 21:22:11 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dale Pontius) writes:

> Yes, after reading a bit further, it doesn't seem worthwhile for
> me to do. One of these days I'm thinking of setting up an old
> computer 24x7 for IP-masq, etc. Then it will make sense. The QandA
> in the back settle the points about going offline and cache being
> in memory.
>
> I've seen cautions about setting up DNS if you don't really know
> what you're doing. I admit I don't, but the caching thing sounds
> neat. I'm just trying to find out about the pitfalls.

I set up a cacheing nameserver on my Debian box.  I had actually pored
over the DNS-HOWTO but the debian package set up correctly "out of the
box".  I also have Diald as well as IP Masq for my network.  So when I
have a request for any kind of internet connection, the line goes up.

I have found that the cacheing nameserver provides a noticeable speed
improvement clicking through pages.  Perhaps my ISP's nameserver is
slow.  I'm glad I did it for the speed improvement alone, much less
the educational benefit.

If you do have IP-MASQ and therefere a network, you'll need to delve a
litter further into the HOWTO to set up name service properly for the
rest of your network.  Frankly, on this small a scale it was
reasonably easy and worth the effort.

--
=============(( http://home.gs.verio.net/~omegam  ))==================
Omegaman<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   | "When they kick out your front door,

From: Omegaman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OH My God !!!!
Date: 18 Jan 1999 22:08:38 -0600

Greg Newberry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> What is sudo? Where might one get it or does it come with Redhat or SuSE?

You probably already have it.
$locate sudo
/etc/sudoers
/usr/bin/sudo
/usr/doc/perl/examples/scan/scan_sudo.gz
/usr/doc/sudo
/usr/doc/sudo/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/doc/sudo/copyright
/usr/doc/sudo/examples
/usr/doc/sudo/examples/sudoers
/usr/doc/sudo/OPTIONS.gz
/usr/doc/sudo/README.Debian
/usr/man/man5/sudoers.5.gz
/usr/man/man8/sudo.8.gz
/usr/man/man8/visudo.8.gz
/usr/sbin/visudo
/var/lib/dpkg/info/sudo.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/sudo.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/sudo.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/sudo.postrm
/var/run/sudo

(learn about the joys of locate!)

Now type
$man sudo.

enjoy.

From: "Rogers News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ip masquerading and icq
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:13:37 GMT

I had the same problem... finally I just told ICQ that I didn't have a SOCKS
proxy... and what do you know? Work first time I tried it :)

-Brill

------------------------------

From: Marius Bezuidenhout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: begginer need help please
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 08:53:52 +0200

In /usr/sbin there is a util called smbmount.

If your IP addresses and all are correct then all you have to do is:

/usr/sbin/smbmount //myntserver/myshare /mnt/ntserver -U myusername

The directory /mnt/ntserver must exist.

Regards,

Marius Bezuidenhout

------------------------------

From: "Darryl Burling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 請問RH5.2支援哪些廠牌的Network card?
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:53:10 +1300

The answer of course is five.

------------------------------

From: "Glenn Davy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: database suggestions, please?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:45:56 +1100

Have a look at MySQL - www.tcx.se

It's free under many circumstances (although I'm aware your willing to spend
the big bucks, and If I was I'd probably look further) and itegrates
directly with Apache (www.apache.org) ,perl (probably came with your dist)
and php (www.php3.net) - which gives you a setup roughly analogous to SQL
server with ASP pages and iis  - only not a scrap of micro$hit code ;^)

ODBC drivers are writen for it,which I have succesfuly used with access, and
the server can be administrated from a windows work station (by downloading
the tool) there is also an NT version also.

My caution is that this combination is out of the box - you'll have to
install sources, read readme's and complie files etc. I'm quite
inexperienced, coming also from a windows and VBA background and have
managed to get it sorted out on two intranets to date.

Good luck
Glenn

------------------------------

From: John Girash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.security,comp.security.unix,redhat.general,redhat.networking.general,aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: Security hole with WU-FTPD
Date: 18 Jan 1999 18:20:34 GMT

In comp.security.unix Daryle Niedermayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

blah.

: I would rebut this statement by saying that NO software package should be
: content
: with being the weakest link (or a weak link) in the security system. The fact
: that WU-ftp allows an exploitation that the login package will not permit and
: that WU-ftp handles security in a method opposite to the manner in which the
: login process manages security makes it a dangerous package.

You seem to be assuming that (a) there is/should-be tight coordination
between how the different "packages" (as you call them) implement password-
based security, and (b) that "login" is/should-be the reference for all
others.  I don't see why either should be the case; they're different
services each of which stands on its own.  (Plase correct me if I'm wrong).

And the "NO software package should be content..." line is just plain silly.
The absolute security of a service is far more important than the relative.
(i.e. you need to look at the vulnerabilities of each individually, and not
just say "well, service X is weaker than Y so I don't need to worry about Y".)

I'd also disagree that the wu-ftpd behaviour constitutes an "exploit" in this
case.  In your opinion it may not be a desirable feature, but that don't make
it a bug.  The fact that your system was broken (probably) wasn't ftpd's fault.

followsup culled to something more reasonable
jg

--
"don't listen when you're told / about the best days in your life  : Spirit of
 a useless old expression, it means / passing time until you die." :  the West