Linux-Networking Digest #950, Volume #9          Wed, 20 Jan 99 13:13:31 EST

Contents:
  Re: After IFCONFIG, What? (Jayasuthan [VorHacker])
  Re: DHCP Client not working with ADSL and Bellsouth.net (Norm)
  Re: Why Does Linux Networking Suck So Badly ? ("Charles Stack")
  Re: hostname (none) (Peter W)
  beyond DNS (Leland Kofford)
  Samba setup (Scallica)
  Windows 95 and Linux Server? (Allen Beddingfield)
  died on signal 11 ?? Help! ("Irene ah!")
  Re: Iinux manual (Matt Kressel)
  Logging into Netware server. (Allen Beddingfield)
  Remote Printing (Larry Rivera)
  DHCPCD Startup ("Gary Dinham")
  Question: Re: Weird 3COM Card Problem - Help Please
  Re: Which processes listen on which ports ? (Christophe KUMSTA)
  Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro/10+ ISA and Redhat 5.2 ("jkim")
  Re: Windows 95 and Linux Server? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  I need information ("Fer Bor")
  Re: DOES LINUX SUCK (Arthur)
  Re: 3 nics & Linux Firewall ("Erik")
  Re: RedHat 5.2 and NE2000 (Matt Kressel)
  Re: sendmail message ' we do not relay' (Matt Kressel)
  Re: 3Com 3c509b, not working under RH 5.2 (Scallica)
  Re: ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: Invalid argument (Richard Griswold)
  eth0: The transmission stopped! (Bill Cripe)

From: Jayasuthan [VorHacker] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: After IFCONFIG, What?
Date: 20 Jan 99 11:54:57 GMT

Compile your kernel with ne2000 support..... is solve most of the problem.
I did had to add my probing line for ne2000...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:       [EMAIL PROTECTED] (T.L. (Terry) Branscombe) writes:
:>My NE2000-clone has recently become undetectable by Linux.  I suspect I
:>accidently deleted a file required by the INIT process, but which one?
:>
:>The boot time messages have disappeared, so that now, the section headed
:>">>> installing net devices <<<" is completely blank.  Also, just after
:>the /proc filesystem is loaded, I receive messages similar to:
:>
:>      SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
:>      SIOCSIBADDR: No such device
:>      ...
:>
:>It used to
:>tell me that the IRQ and BASEADDR of the NIC.
:>
:>I have tried the following boot parameters:
:>
:>      linux ether=0,0,eth0
:>      linux ether=12,300,eth0
:>
:>and tried ifconfig with the IP address of my machine from the hosts file:
:>
:>      ifconfig eth0 192.168.110.1 up
:>      and received:
:>      SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
:>
:>Can anyone suggest some checks I should make?  Thanks.
:>--
: It sounds as if you do not have the driver in your kernel. Is your
: kernel new?
:>+------------------+
:>Terrence  Branscombe
:>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jayasuthan
[Fairchild Information System Support]

[Internal]
http://eplx01/suthan/
smtp%"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

[External]
http://still.working.on
smtp%"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

------------------------------

From: Norm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: DHCP Client not working with ADSL and Bellsouth.net
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 05:20:34 -0800

Hi,

What NIC board are you using, if it is a 3com you will need to shut the
power off completely when going from Windows to Linux. For some reason
these boards will not reset the chip and you will not get an address for
the board.

Norm

------------------------------

From: "Charles Stack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Does Linux Networking Suck So Badly ?
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:13:25 -0500

>Now you can take your Winders, add in file-sharing in just a
>couple of minutes, bring up your Winders workstations and
>locate and link in within just another few minutes. Easy.
>Quick. Relatively painless. Not the Linux way ...

Oh, really?

I am a Windoze developer by profession.  I run Linux at home and for
everything else I do.  When I joined the Linux community, I didn't have a
clue about Linux (or Unix in general) except for the limited work I did in
college.  I'm still relatively clueless (but getting more knowledgable
everyday).  Here's what this clueless person has done with Linux:

1) Developed client/server applications using Borland Delphi C/S and
Interbase for Linux.  The resulting application (i.e the Interbase server)
runs 24x7 with 24x7 availability for the clients.  This was my first
project.

2) Developing a PERL module to access Interbase directly.

3) Wrote PPP scripts that allowed me to connect to my multiple ISPs.

4) Set my server to as a PPP dialin server.  I can now call my machine at
home securely and work on my machine.

5) Reconfigured my dialin server so that I can dialin to my PC AND surf the
internet at the same time.

6) Learning about setting up networks (I have a 3 PC network).

7) Setup and operate and FTP and HTTP server.

8) Share my files on my server with my Windoze clients using SAMBA.

Yeah...Linux networking sucks.

It would be nice if some of the tools were a bit easier to use.  But, they
work.  Usability will come in time.

>Want cheap PC networking & connectivity ? One "L" word comes
>to mind and it's NOT "Linux" - try "LanTastic" instead.

I don't necessarily agree with that.  I had a LanTastic server at my last
job.  It took two networking guys and myself four days to get LanTastic to
recognize our multiport serial card and the Token ring network.

I'll take Linux anyday, thank you.

Cheers,

Charles

------------------------------

From: Peter W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hostname (none)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 23:21:31 -0500

Samuel Adams wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Can anyone tell me where the hostname is set? I'd like for my
> hostname to be something other than (none)
> I tried setting it in ./etc/hostname and in /etc/hosts without
> much success. It still seems to come up as (none)

Have you tried /etc/HOSTNAME ?

------------------------------

From: Leland Kofford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: beyond DNS
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:25:43 -0500

Currently we have two sets of documents. One is the DNS database. (The
flat file that is referenced when named starts.)  The other is an excel
spread sheet with 14 fields of information.  We would like to have a
single file or at least a single interface to the working file and the
informational file.  We thought of setting up a script which would first
run nslookup and then query an info file.  We are not into reinventing
the wheel so does anyone know of anything that does anything like this
or is there a way of adding and retrieving all of the data into the
working file within DNS specs.

Thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scallica)
Subject: Samba setup
Date: 20 Jan 1999 05:04:52 GMT

Hey,

I am using Redhat 5.2. I have samba and nfs running but I am not sure how to
configure them. All I would like to do is be able to map to my home directory
in win 95. Any ideas on how to set this up? Thanx.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Beddingfield)
Subject: Windows 95 and Linux Server?
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 05:07:33 GMT

I am considering replacing a Netware server with a Linux server.
However, I still want my Windows 95 machines to ask for a network
username and password as they do with the Novell Netware Client before
logging into the server.  Is this possible?

Please keep in mind that I have limited experience with Linux, most of
my experience is with Netware.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Please e-mail your replys to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Allen B.

------------------------------

From: "Irene ah!" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: died on signal 11 ?? Help!
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 00:21:45 +0800

Hi all,

Please tell me what mean the below messages on the var/log/syslog and
var/log/messages:

inetd[58]: /usr/sbin/nmbd: exit status 0x1
last message repeated 11 times {many times}
inted[..]: execv /usr/sbin/nmbd: No such file or directory

>what is nmbd? how to use??

pppd[..]: CCP: timeout send...
pppd[..]: LCP: timeout send...
pppd[..]: IPCP: timeout send...

>what is CCP, LCP, IPCP?

sendmail[..]: NOQUENE: SYSERR(root): SMTP-MAIL: died on signal 11

------------------------------

From: Matt Kressel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Iinux manual
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:32:20 GMT

Arnoud Stassen wrote:

> After a succesful Linux installation, I am looking for a acrobat
> reader doc or something similar that explanes Linux commands in detail
> WITHOUT any interface like X-Windows/KDE etc.
>
> How-to
>
> Dir
> Shutdown
> Etc

There are THOUSANDS of commands available to Linux.  Since Linux is
derived from/resembles UNIX you can look for an intro to UNIX.  Your
real friend will be "man" or manual pages that describe 95% of all
commands in more detail than you want.  I'll give you a brief start
here:

"ls" - list files
"ls -l" - list files in long format
"ls -la" - list all files (including hidden "dot" files) in long format
"cd" - change directory
"cd .." - change directory to one level higher (like DOS)
"shutdown -h now" - shutdown the machine to halt (stopped) mode now
"shutdown -h 5" - shutdown the machine to halt mode in 5 minutes
"shutdown -r now" - reboot the machine now.

"man XXX" - show manual page for command XXX (replace with your
command).

Also, look at the many HOWTOs at:
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX-3.html#ss3.1

HTH,
-Matt

--
Matthew O. Kressel | INTERNET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
+---------  Northrop Grumman Corporation, Bethpage, NY ---------+

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Beddingfield)
Subject: Logging into Netware server.
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 05:12:28 GMT

Could someone please explain the procedures for connecting a Linux
machine to a Netware server?
Linux version:  Redhat 5.1
Server:  Netware 3.12

I am new to Linux and debating its use on our network.

Thanks.

Please e-mail replies to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Allen B.

------------------------------

From: Larry Rivera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Remote Printing
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:02:49 -0400

Hello:

I've set up linux box for remote printing accross platforms:

1. Samba users (via Win95) can print to laser printer connected to linux
box with no problem.
2. Netware users can print remotely as well as ipx has been enabled on
the linux NIC and ncpfs software has been loaded.
3. Linux users get the following messages when trying to access the same
remote printer:

mer: /usr/sbin/lpd: remote: Your host does not have line printer access

My local printcap which has attached laser printer is as follows:
#
# Laser Printer directly connected to mer.UUCP.com
laser:lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/var/spool/lpd/laser:of=/var/spool/filters/ljet4-fi
lter:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:mx#0:sh:rw:

My remote machine's printcap is as follows:
# Remote at mer.UUCP.com
remote:lp=/dev/null:rm=mer:rp=laser:sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:

My /etc/hosts.lpd includes remote machines ip # and host name.

When I try do read the queue with lpq -Premote, I get:

merdist: waiting for queue to be enabled on mer
Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
1st    root       0    hosts                                 654 bytes
2nd    root       1    hosts                                 654 bytes

mer: lpd: laser: Your host does not have line printer access

Jobs are waiting at the remote machine's queue, to gain access to the
local queue for processing. I've tried lpc enable/start to restart lpd
but to no avail. Has anyone out there seen this situation??

------------------------------

From: "Gary Dinham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DHCPCD Startup
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 05:15:32 GMT

Problem: Trying to start DHCPCD with -h option at boot time using Redhat 5.1

Could someone point me to the script file which starts DHCPCD at boot, I
would like to add the -h hostname to the command line.

It works fine if started from the command prompt.

Thankyou.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Question: Re: Weird 3COM Card Problem - Help Please
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:45:18 -0500

This look like you made the system use IRQ 3 for drive.
All I have open is IRQ 9.

In the solutions you provided I can sort of see where I would change the IRQ
specified.
BUT, I'm clueless as to the changes I would make in the HEX stuff you posted
or the memory ranges.

Could you clarify please

THX

------------------------------

From: Christophe KUMSTA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which processes listen on which ports ?
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:41:50 +0000

Joerg Klaas wrote:

> Does anyone know an easy way to find out, which processes are listening
> on which port ?
> I'm thinking about a combination of "netstat -na" and "ps -xla".
>
> If my problem is still not clear:
> "netstat" gives me a list of open/possible connections.
> "ps -xa" gives me a list of processes
> How can I link this two outputs together ?
>
> Thanks, Joerg.

the command is :

netstat -aoe --inet

and this give all inet port and status [LISTEN] ...
        That's all falks ...
                Use the Source Luke.

-- KUMSTA Christophe
-- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
-- real-time system developper
-- RT-Linux (Use the source luke)

------------------------------

From: "jkim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Intel EtherExpress Pro/10+ ISA and Redhat 5.2
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 21:42:19 -0800

wayne m. eaker wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I have tried and tried and tried to get this network card to work under
>redhat.  I have tried working with network configuration utilities that
>come with redhat.  I have recompiled the kernel.  I have made eepro.o a
>module and put it in the kernel.  I have turned off the PnP and Flash
>RAM memory on the card.  Most of the time, I get no message at all at
>boot time.  However, the best I can do is get a message that says
>"Delaying eth0 initialization."  Then, it's still useless.  Does anyone
>have this card and has set it up successfully?  Any help would be
>greatly appreciated.
>
>Wayne Eaker
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I had to add "irq=10 io=0x300" during the installation.  It seems like it
installed correctly but I can't seem to ping anything on the network.  I'm
ready to give up.

Jae

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Windows 95 and Linux Server?
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:56:17 GMT

[posted and mailed]

Once you set up mars-nwe, you will see that there is a fairly complete
although not foolproof security system.  Basically you can create accounts on
the linux server and force Netware clients to use those account names and
passwords for access.  You use Linux/Unix security and map it onto Novell
security as well as that can be done.  (You will find that Novell generally
offers more options and is a bit easier to administer than Linux but saying
that is sure to bring down flamage from the Unix gurus)  The best way to find
out your answers is to dive right in and start configuring and testing.

From: "Fer Bor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I need information
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:59:47 -0300

Please: Someboby know any NNTP server ? (INN, CNEWS and Leafnode no), I need
one easy to configure and mantainace.

Thanks (pardon for my english)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 22:58:31 -0800
From: Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: DOES LINUX SUCK

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Arthur says...
> >
> >Jim Ross wrote:
> >

> >To install downloaded rpm's under KDE:
> >
> >1. Open kfm file manager (one click)
> >2. Find the subdirectory you d/l'd to (I realize this
> >may be a problem for some Windows users)
> >3. Left click the package name
> >4. After kpackage opens, click install
> >5. Wait (less than 15 seconds on average)
> >6. Close kpackage, kinstall
> >7. Run the program
> >
> >(You can also do this from the command line even more
> >quickly, or use xrpm or glint if you're not using KDE)
> >

> expect you need to install KDE to use kfm.
> and wih KDE rpms, you need to install the packages in correct order

My KDE was installed when I installed my system - I didn't
have to install it seperately, so I guess your a little
incorrect there Bob.

I have installed kde on earlier systems:

rpm -i <kdefile name .rpm> at the command line for each kde file.

And no, you don't have to type the entire command line for
each file, even the first time. You can use tab completion
for the file names, and up arrow to get the command back
and re-edit it.

The kde site (web or ftp) will tell you the install order.
This is sooooo hard to do.  I think I did this about 2 days
after my first Linux install. With a beta release of kde too.
Never had a problem.

Or you can use xrpm or glint under any window manager. xrpm
is marginally more difficult than kpackage.

> you sort of hand waved your hands of this little point, did'nt you?
> there are core rpms for KDE and then the extra/additional ones.
>
> so it is not as easy as you pretend it is.
Like I said, the system install took  care of kde, so it's
VERY easy. Check the box that says "kde". That's easier
than your drag n drop stuff below.

Actually, it gets easier. For example, you don't have to
reboot, don't have to worry that .dll's for a current program
will be zapped by the new program, and I've never had an
rpm install hang.  Even when installing an entire new
GUI / window manager like KDE you don't have to reboot.

> offcourse a real user friendly system would not put the purdon on the user
> to figure the order of those 6 or 7 rpms to install. but offcourse this is
> unix. if the things was so seemless with no manual steps involved and no
> things the user need to know before hand, then it will a boring system,
> and there will be nothing to tinker with.

Bob wants computers for the illiterate.

> a real system will be much simpler that what you said.
>
> a real easy to use system will work like this:
>
> You see a "package" or set of packages on the net, to install them, you
> drag it/them , and drop it/them, on "my computer".
>
> DONE.
>
> the 'system' will WORRY about everything else.

Er, rpmfind? Don't use it myself.

And of course with your ideal system, you have no clue what's
going into your system.  You're assuming of course that everything
in this magic package you're loading is perfectly benign - no
virus scan step in between? Windows does have virus problems.
Actually, I like to at least view the list of files included
in the package - it helps me get some idea of what's related
to what in my system. Can't do that under Windows either.
And yes, I am interested in what's happening to the internals
of my OS, because my income depends on it. Nice to have an
OS (finally) that lets me do that.

Arthur

------------------------------

From: "Erik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.firewalls
Subject: Re: 3 nics & Linux Firewall
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 09:24:42 -0800

Even better.... I'm not sure what flavour you are running but here's one for
Redhat:

https://www.seifried.org/redhat-5.x/firewalls/ipfwadm-3-interfaces.html

Erik

------------------------------

From: Matt Kressel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat 5.2 and NE2000
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:45:38 GMT

EC_IT wrote:

> I am a complete Linux novice.
>
> During my installation of the RedHat 5.2 distribution I get asked about my
> NIC. I have a genuine NE2000 in the machine. It claims that it cannot be
> detected, even if I feed it the IO and IRQ manually.
>
> What is the way to proceed?
>
> How and where can I specify the NIC after completing the rest of the
> installation?
>
> I need the network to be up and running so I can test the networking
> capabilities.

Try "insmod ne.o"

Often the device parameters are detected at load time.  You can also
give it parameters with "insmod" but I'm not sure what they are
exactly.  Something like:
"insmod ne.o base_addr=0x800 irq=7" <-- replace with your addr and IRQ

Try loading it without address and irq first, then if that fails,
specify it.

-Matt

From: Matt Kressel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sendmail message ' we do not relay'
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:49:05 GMT

Daddy Rabbit wrote:

> I have sendmail working ok as long a I use the following.
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> However, I would prefer that mail be sent using the following instead
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] but I keep getting return mail with the 'we do
> not relay' message. I have put entries into the aliases file,
> name.allow file, etc. but that doesn't help.

There are 2 lines in /etc/sendmail.cf like:

> # Hosts that will permit relaying ($=R)
> FR-o /etc/mail/relay-domains

So with your favorite editor, open up the file /etc/mail/relay-domains
(you may have to create the directory first) and add the name of your
domain to that file (i.e. "domain-name.com").

That's it!

-Matt

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scallica)
Subject: Re: 3Com 3c509b, not working under RH 5.2
Date: 20 Jan 1999 05:01:42 GMT

>Hello,
>       I have a 3com 3c509b ethernet card which works fine under Windows 95,
>but I can't get it to work under Red Hat 5.2.  Does anyone have any
>suggestions????

Hey man, I had the saaaaaame exact problem as you. This is what you do, go
under system properties in Win95 and write down the IRQ and I/O for your
network card. Then use the dos utitlies disk that came with the card. Disable
PnP and manually insert the IRQ and I/O information. Reboot into Linux and it
should pick the card up. Linux does not like Plug-n-Play! Once linux finds it,
you can re-enable the PnP once again without worry. Hope that helps!

------------------------------

From: Richard Griswold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: Invalid argument
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:33:39 +0000

waxhead wrote:
]
] I tried that as well as many other commands that I could come up with.
] have read the man pages on the as well as many HOW-TO's and web pages
on
] related subjects.....
]
] HELP......
]
] :)
]
] Philip Wall / Wild Card wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
] >waxhead wrote:
] >>
] >> I am running redhat 5.2 on a DEC alphastation 200 4/233
] >> I have installed a second NIC in the system(the box comes with a
nic
] >> installed)
] <Snip>
] >> The problem I am having is when I try to the following command
] >>
] >> ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.0.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0
] >>
] >> I get the error message
] >>
] >> ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: Invalid argument
] <Snip>
] >Try ipfwadm -F -a accept -m -S 192.168.0.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

I have the same problem on my AS200.  I've tried every variation of the
ipfwadm command I can think of, but I get the same error whenever I use
the -a flag.  The only difference in my setup is that I'm running RH 5.1
with the 2.0.36 kernel, and my network is 10.1.1.0 instead of
192.168.0.0.

Eth0 (local network) is the built-in Dec 21040 Tulip NIC, with an IP
address of 10.1.1.1.  Eth1 (cable modem) is a 3Com 3C900 NIC.

Please help!

--

Richard Griswold - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Bill Cripe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: eth0: The transmission stopped!
Date: 20 Jan 1999 17:05:06 GMT

The whole message is"eth0: The transmission stopped! CSR5 is 20a812,
CSR6 816e0002". This occurs as my machine boots up.
   I'm using a NetGear ethernet card and the tulip.c driver version .90.
My kernel is a Red Hat based 2.0.33.
   I've seen quit a few posts regarding this card/driver, but none
seem to address the "transmission stopped" problem. I can also see
that quite a few people seem to be able to run just fine using the
same kernel/card/driver combination. Can soemone give me a hint about
what this message means?
   Just in case it's meaningful as a clue, once the machine is up,
the ethernet connection works a little, but very erratically, based
on the results of ping.

Thanks for the help,
Bill Cripe