Linux-Networking Digest #989, Volume #9          Mon, 25 Jan 99 03:13:59 EST

Contents:
  Debian ("Peter Kripner")
  Re: networkking problem (Nick Rout)
  diald help. (tony mollica)
  IPX over PPP - need another route (Victor Sturgeon)
  Re: 2 Linux machines 2 nics and a hub and something is wrong? (Edwin Calimbo)
  From a Virtual Server to a Colocate ("Mr. Poet")
  need help? ("Scott Chu")
  Re: networkking problem (John Wolanski)
  Re: Terminators and thinnet ("Mark Medici")
  Re: setting up cable modem (Clayton Summers)
  Re: IP Masq & Civ 2 MPE (Dan Kegel)
  policy editor questions... ("Andrew C. Ohnstad")
  Masquerade and Static IP number ? (QCT)
  Redhat and 3com ethernet XL ("Joost van der Eijk")
  NFS times out (was Re: Slow to connect, but then OK) (Ben Sandler)
  Re: Win98 + Linux (samba) (kdoswald)
  LCP problem with PPPD! (Andrew Tierney)
  Re: Linux --> Company NT RAS - Can it be done? (Lawrence Harris)
  Re: Second NIC (Clayton Summers)
  Re: LCP problem with PPPD! (chaz)
  Re: ip masquerading and icq ("Rogers News")

From: "Peter Kripner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Debian
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 06:46:22 +0100

Hallo, ein Freund hat ein Netzwerkproblem leider kann ich ihm auch nicht
helfen
Ich hab hier 2 Netzwerkkarten neu eingebaut, beide PCI (3C900 + 3C905)
sollten auch supportet werden, werden nur am anfang nie erkannt, und darum
kann ich sie auch nicht einstellen .... bei /proc/pci sind die beide
aufgefuehrt ??
Gruß
Peter

------------------------------

From: Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: networkking problem
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:02:23 +1300

DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=192.168.0.3
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none

------------------------------

From: tony mollica <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: diald help.
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:12:21 +0000

Hi.  I have a working diald setup on a Debian2.0
box but there are a couple of messages in the log
that I can't seem to find a solution to.  The items
are logged when the link comes down.  These are
the lines with my comments added:

: Closing down idle link    ;no problem here
: Terminating on signal 2   ;can't find a reference
                            ;for this.
: Connection terminated     ;no problem here either
: Failed                    ;what failed?
: disconnect script failed  ;can't seem to get any
                            ;disconnect script to work.
                            ;Any suggestions?
: Exit.                     ;OK.
: Delaying 10 seconds before clear to dial.

   I changed a parameter to make it 10 seconds between
   redials, but why does diald end it's session with
   this line, which makes you wait 10 seconds before
   dialing a new connection?

Diald has been working for about two weeks with no
problems, but these messages seem to indicate that
something is not right.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
--

tony mollica
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Victor Sturgeon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IPX over PPP - need another route
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 23:31:16 -0600

OK so far I have been able to set up a RedHat 5.2 ppp server. I can dial
in with tcp/ip and ipx (thanks to
http://www.tartu.customs.ee/linux/index.shtml, and Valentin Abramov).

However my problem now is getting the ipx packets routed via the linux
server to the network, esp. the novell servers. I have tried ipxripd,
but I cant get it to compile under the libraries in RedHat 5.2.

Is there another ipx routing dameon or another solution.

I also need some info on getting SAMBA to work accross a ppp connection.
As usual any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--
Victor Sturgeon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edwin Calimbo)
Subject: Re: 2 Linux machines 2 nics and a hub and something is wrong?
Date: 25 Jan 99 05:26:49 GMT

Darren Ford ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Folks,  I am about to go crazy here with problems.   I have two machines
: both running Red Hat 5.0.  Both have NICs and are recognized during the
: boot process.  I reinstalled Red Hat on both machines to get a fresh
: start.  During the install I chose to set up networking for each
: machine.
: I want machine one(M1) to be able to connect to a cable modem later on
: so I want it as a gateway.

: M1(linux1.blank.net)                      M2(linux2.blank.net)
: IP              = 192.168.9.1              IP          = 192.168.9.2
: netmask     =  255.255.255.0         netmask = 255.255.255.0
: gateway     = 192.168.9.1             gateway  = 192.168.9.1
: domain      = blank.net                    domain  =  blank.net

: These machines are both connected to hub.  I cannot ping one machine
: from the other but they can ping themselves and their dummy interface.

: If I want M1 to be a gateway later on, setting the gateway IP to
: 192.168.9.1 is correct right?

: Why can't these guys ping each other?  I tried adding each of them to
: the others routing table but that didn't work or I didn't do it right.
: When I do a 'route -n'  it shows that the entry is there.

: Can somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

: Thanks

--
---

------------------------------

From: "Mr. Poet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: From a Virtual Server to a Colocate
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 21:58:06 -0800

------------------------------

From: "Scott Chu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: need help?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:29:07 +0800

I've met with several problem but don't know how to resolve, please help:

1> our Linux server seems block too many network connections (not internet
connection, just local network), any way to expand the limit?

2>using win95 mail client to read mail but get 'already read error', and we
found there's a file with same name as username in /usr/tmp/.pop, if kill it
then re-read mail, it's ok, but come back with this phenomena frequently?

thanks in advance!

Scott

------------------------------

From: John Wolanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 00:40:21 -0500

From: "Mark Medici" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Terminators and thinnet
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 05:34:21 GMT

The first question is: if it wasn't broken (10BaseT worked) then why try to
fix it?  Let me be frank with you here: 10BaseT hubs can be found for as
little as $49.00.  Why waste money and effort on ThinNet?  Do you have some
compelling need to run copper cables more than 100m?

To answer your question, it depends.  I've seen all types of strange network
configurations in my life.  Though I've never run into a working ThinNet
using 75-Ohm terminators, I would not be very surprised to see it work on a
VERY small network in VERY specific circumstances.  That said, realize that
75-Ohms is a VERY SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE from 50-Ohms (150% of
specification).  My guess is that, if the NICs themselves are properly
configured, then the higher cable resistance and SWR mismatch between the
cable and terminators is making the cards think there's nothing there at
all.

Best to use 50-Ohm terminators.  They're only a couple of bucks, and should
be available at a local computer or electronics-hobbiest store, or try Data
Comm Warehouse (their on the web someplace).

-- Mark A. Medici                       No SPAM accepted. To E-Mail me
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]              remove "no-spam" from address.

    Boris Statnikov wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
    I have an RG58 A/U Coaxial and attempted to use 75ohm (as opposed to 50)
terminators.  Now I can't guarantee that I've set up my ethernet cards
correctly to work with base2 instead of baseT, but everything worked as
baseT before and I did change the cards' bios settings.  I suspect
terminators, but can 25 ohm difference really do it?
    Boris

--
Too many cooks spoil the brouhaha.

        "Bored Of The Rings", The Harvard Lampoon

------------------------------

From: Clayton Summers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: setting up cable modem
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 06:20:08 GMT

I cheated.  Instead of using DHCP, I used static IP addresses.

This works for the @home network, don't know if it will help on MediaOne

------------------------------

From: Dan Kegel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IP Masq & Civ 2 MPE
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:14:05 -0800

Ray Clouse schrieb:
> I'm running into problems when trying to host a Civilization 2 game.  I
> can join a game just fine, it's the hosting that's the problem.  When
> people try to join, the get a "connection refused" from me, and, of
> course, they never show up in the "waiting for players" dialog.  Here's
> my setup:
>
> P120, RH 5.1, 2.0.36, eth0->cable modem, eth1->10baseT hub
> K6-200, dual boot RH 5.2/Windoze95
>
> I think that using ipfwadm might fix the prob, but the docs I find on it
> are sparse.  I'm hesitant about using it, cause then I might be open for
> other nastiness.  Will that work, or do I need to wait for an
> ip_masq_civ2mpe.o module to be written?

No need for a masq module.  The game has to be made a little more
NAT-aware, I think.  See
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~dank/peer-nat.html
Civilization [3]: Call To Power will definitely not suffer from
this problem.
- Dan

--
Speaking only for myself, not for my employer

------------------------------

From: "Andrew C. Ohnstad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows
Subject: policy editor questions...
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 01:46:50 -0500

Hello, all....

Trying to set up a small LAN, one server running Linux and SMB/Samba acting
as a NT Server to authenticate passwords and provide a couple directorys for
network access.

What I want to do is use the Policy Editor to create policies for the
Windows 95 and 98 computers on the network, to lock down access to the
control panel and such.

I have sarched the web and I can't find any real documentation on this
situation... plenty on hooking up Netware and 9x, plenty on setting up NT
and 9x policys, but nothing that helps me... perhaps you could help?

I understand the basic usage of the polcy editor.  Here are my questions...

Is there a policy that belongs on the Server, even though it's not a NT
server?  The only things windows related that happens on the server is that
the user's profiles, settings, etc. land in a directory in thier home
directory called 'Profile' on the server.  Or do I just create a policy on
each computer on the network and save it locally?

Where are policys saved on Windows machines?  What should the files be
named?

Really, all I want to do is remove access to the desktop if you don't log on
to the server.  I don't want people to be able to hit cancel to the NT
(linux) logon screen and get to the desktop on certain machines with
critical information on them.

Any assistance or pointers appreciated...

=-=Andrew C. Ohnstad

------------------------------

From: QCT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Masquerade and Static IP number ?
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 23:24:59 -0500

Dear Friend,

I have a linux server which have a private IP#: 192.168.1.1 . Now I just
have a dedicated dial-up access with a static ip number. My ISP said I
just make a dial up as usual, then their server will assign a same IP
address every time when I connect.

The problem is that when I surf the internet, I can not view a lot of
web sites. It said "don't know my host name". ( I don't have this
problem when I have a normal dynamic ip dial up). This is the first time
I get a dedicated with static IP. So I don't know what I need to do with
static IP.

Other hand, I use to free DNS server at granitecanyon.com to point to my
new static IP. Do I need to put their DNS server IP numbers in my
resolv.conf ?

Could some one have experiences with masquerade and static IP please
show me how to configure my server!
(My other computers (192.168.1.x) connect to internet via my server with
its IP 192.168.1.1)

Thank you very much !!
QCT

------------------------------

From: "Joost van der Eijk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat and 3com ethernet XL
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 12:43:33 +0100

I have installed Redhat 5.2 and Slackware on one machine.
The machine has a 3com Etherlink XL network card, 3c900B-TPO

I have tried a lot of thing to make both linux distributions recognize the
card, but everything failed until now.

Can anyone tell me what exactly to to to make it work.

Joost                 %-)

------------------------------

From: Ben Sandler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NFS times out (was Re: Slow to connect, but then OK)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 07:03:54 +0000

David Kirkpatrick wrote:

> Who is doing the name resolving?  /etc/hosts /etc/lmhosts
> /etc/networks, is named running.  You may get info from
> tcpdump -nei eth0 and see what's taking place for the
> arp queries.
>    Can you ping by hostnames?

I am using /etc/hosts.  I sort of fixed it by getting rid of
resolv.conf, but now it's even stranger, as telneting is fine, but nfs
in one direction times out.

- Ben

From: kdoswald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win98 + Linux (samba)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:09:37 -0800

Go to www.samba.org can get all the info you need.. Or can just read the HOW-To
faq.. It's real easy to figure out. you can look at the smb.conf in the etc
directory on your linux system.  It is fairly straight forward prob can figure
it most out by just looking at it.  But the main prob you are going to run into
is that, Win95b, Win NT with service pack 4.  And Window's 98 encrypt teh
passwords across the network so need to change that by modifying teh registry.
I can't find the info on how to do that off-hand I know i found it last time on
teh samba page but can't find it right now..

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Tierney)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.ppp
Subject: LCP problem with PPPD!
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:02:04 -0000

Hi All,

Here's my situation:
I'm almost a complete newbie to linux, so I haven't really got that much
of an idea of what's going on (ie. I forget what the config files are
called but I can remember how to edit them and stuff)

I got RH 5.1 on CD, installed it. After editing some things to get x
running nicely in 800*600, I ran control panel, then netcfg. Without
reading any instructions, I looked around blindly and set up my cable and
wireless account as a PPP/PAP connection. Clicked on activate, it
connected. Brilliant. It all worked, FTP, WWW, everything, so I was well
chuffed.

Then I left linux for a while because I was doing school work and stuff,
so win95 was the thing I was using. I also converted to a new external
modem. SO I go back to linux, and I wanted to find out how to connect
without using netcfg because it seemed a long way of going about it. I
found all the ifup files and things, had a look in them, and tried it. It
wouldn't connect. I went back to netcfg and it still didn't work.

I started reading the HOWTOs for ISP connection, PPP links, Chat, the man
pages for pppd and chat. I went back, made my own scripts, and it still
didn't work. The actual modem was connecting, but the authentication
wasn't working.

So I had a look at the logs, and the problem arises when it say "LCP
Config-Request timeout", so I tried changing the values associated with
LCP to no avail.

I can't find out what the problem is, I thought it might be something to
do with the "Serial Line not 8 bit clean" but the FAQ solutions don't
work.

I've now swapped to freeserve as my ISP, and I hit the same problem.
I think freeserve is PAP, since it works using win95 dun. I don't have
the DNS servers, but that isn't that important considering I can't even
get the PPP connection.

So, does anyone know exactly how to fix an "LCP Config Request timeout"
problem, or has anyone got scripts for freeserve/mcmail? Or, is there a
program that will take a win95 dun connection and create a script
automatically that I can use? My main use for linux will be the internet,
so it's important that I get this working.

Thanks in advance.

--
Andrew Tierney - Urban Explorer
Fidonet: 2:254/292.19

------------------------------

From: Lawrence Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux --> Company NT RAS - Can it be done?
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 07:09:04 GMT

For mail access to Exchange from the internet you can use POP mail or with the
latest Exchange you can use IMAP.  There is also a browser interface, you
browse mail.yourdomain.com/exchange and you get a login and something that
ends up looking like outlook.  This will only work form IE 4 as it uses MS
CHAP which (AFAIK) Netscape does not support yet..

We use a RAS server for dialup and a PPTP server for over the internet
access.  I have been trying to get linux to log into one or the other and have
not yet succeeded.  I am just now comiling ppp-2.3.5 to see if that solves my
problems.

Good luck,

Lawrence

------------------------------

From: Clayton Summers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Second NIC
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 06:23:37 GMT

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO.html
is also very helpful

------------------------------

From: chaz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.ppp
Subject: Re: LCP problem with PPPD!
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 14:12:25 +0000

==============0F3D009DAEA81C395FEC111E

Hi,

I an not help you but you might be able to help me. I am trying to dial into
my uni with out any luck, no dialing no nothing have tried to set it up but
have not been able to, please help if you can.

Andrew Tierney wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Here's my situation:
> I'm almost a complete newbie to linux, so I haven't really got that much
> of an idea of what's going on (ie. I forget what the config files are
> called but I can remember how to edit them and stuff)
>
> I got RH 5.1 on CD, installed it. After editing some things to get x
> running nicely in 800*600, I ran control panel, then netcfg. Without
> reading any instructions, I looked around blindly and set up my cable and
> wireless account as a PPP/PAP connection. Clicked on activate, it
> connected. Brilliant. It all worked, FTP, WWW, everything, so I was well
> chuffed.

Snip

--
Chaz

Mobile: 07788 422340
Phone: 01274 235981
Pager: 07666 782128

==============0F3D009DAEA81C395FEC111E

begin:vcard
n:Rhodes;Ian
tel;pager:07666 782128
tel;cell:07788 422340
tel;work:01274 235981
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.bradford.ac.uk
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Student
fn:Chaz
end:vcard

From: "Rogers News" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: ip masquerading and icq
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 07:13:37 GMT

I had the same problem... finally I just told ICQ that I didn't have a SOCKS
proxy... and what do you know? Work first time I tried it :)

-Brill