Linux-Networking Digest #932, Volume #10         Wed, 21 Apr 99 15:13:41 EDT

Contents:
  Help sending COOKIES/Apache (Larry)
  Help Installing Linux on a notebook ("gina_davis")
  Linux pinging itself and saturating network (David Sopuch)
  Re: Network not set up correctly (Phil Hunt)
  Re: QUESTION ? What are the IP bandwidth limitations of Linux ? (me zawadzki)
  IP Masq gets confused on 2.0.36 (Aaron Baugher)
  Printing with IP in Linux ("Douglas A. Haines")
  Re: DHCP question (K Lee)
  Re: NetGear 10/100 Ethernet Card and drivers (Frank Miles)
  ms pptp and ipfwadm ("nelson")
  Re: Installation Help (I Like Spam)
  Re: Answering the phone (Bill Unruh)
  Re: Linux - My honest opinion (Paolo Ciccone)
  Re: RealTek RTL 8029 PCI Ethernet Driver (Jim Roberts)
  Re: Proper securing of linux server and local network from hackers, etc. (Aaron
Baugher)
  Re: free-agent (Aaron Baugher)
  Re: Proper securing of linux server and local network from hackers, etc. (mist)
  Corrupt transfer through SMB.  Linux -> Win95 (Alex Sleeis)
  Re: Linux - My honest opinion (Gareth Jones)

From: Larry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help sending COOKIES/Apache
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 13:39:48 GMT

I would like to make my server send a cookie.
The problem is that I don't know
where should I make the call to the CGI script.
(I don't want to use <meta-equiv=...> in the head tag of the HTML page.)
Thanks !

From: "gina_davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help Installing Linux on a notebook
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 21:47:22 +0100

I'm new to Linux having installed it on my desktop PC a week or so ago.  Now
I'm trying to install Linux on my old 486 notebook and would like some help,
please.

The notebook is a 486sx/25 with 8Mb RAM and 500Mb HD.  I currently have
300Mb as a DOS partition running Win95, the rest being free to partition for
Linux.  If necessary I can easily delete Windoze.  There is no CDROM drive
but I have a Laplink type parallel port link to my desktop PC.

I have RedHat (5.2) Linux installed on my desktop together with Win95 and
have so far tried 2 ways of installing it on the notebook.

1. I've copied the relevant directory structure and files onto the NB HD
using Win95's direct cable connection in order to preserve the proper case
sensitive names etc. and created floppies from the images for "boot.img" &
"supp.img" using the latest versions from RedHat.com.

The NB installation proceeds successfully up to the point where I try to use
Disk Druid or fdisk to add Linux partitions.  Then nothing more seem to
happen with the floppy drive (containing the Supplementary disk) just
chattering away as if trying to find data.  I've checked out both floppy
disks with dos scandisk.

2. On a more concerted go at RTFM I read that the small boot kernal supports
PLIP (parallel port network connection) and tried that - but the manual says
"ask your network administrator" about the network settings.  Now, I am my
own network administrator in this case!!!  but don't know very much about
networks.  I think I've set up PLIP in my desktop Linux but have no idea
what IP address etc. to use for the notebook.

Any help with either approach (or any other way) would be much appreciated.

TIA

Gina.

------------------------------

From: David Sopuch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux pinging itself and saturating network
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:30:16 GMT

Hi All:

We have a number of servers running RedHat 5.1 and 1 NT server connected
via a hub to
our ISDN router.

We have twice seen something strange occur on one of the Linux
webservers that saturates
our network and prevents traffic from entering from the net or from
within the network to
the one of the machines.

Basically the light on the hub and on the ethernet card for one Linux
machine blinks at a high rate.
The router (Ascend Pipeline 75) blinks at a much slower rate, probably
because traffic from
the net is trying to access the network.

We can telnet to the machine, but http and smtp and pop3 access crawls
and times out.
And all other machines connected to the hub are inaccessible.

I ran the NT4.0 Network Monitor but couldn't see any traffic on the
network.

If we reboot the Linux machine the problem goes away.

I checked the mail and httpd logs, and there are no entries during the
period that the problem
occurs.

Any ideas??

Note: the machine that this occurs on runs  RedHat Linux 5.1, no gui,
Apache 1.34, Sendmail, the ftpd, and that's about it.  We have about 10
IP addresses on the network card on that machine for various virtual
hosts that the web server serves.

Regards,

David j. Sopuch
Avetti.com Corporation

Simplemerce.com - Easy Commmerce for Vendors with 1 or 2 products
Quickmerce.com  - Full Featured Commerce System with Shopping Cart

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Hunt)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Network not set up correctly
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 99 18:43:02 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] "Nick Kew" writes:
> > ``ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1'', but unfortunately there is no ``ifconfig''
> > program on my machine.
>
> Aha...
>
> If there really is no ifconfig then you didn't install any networking
> (and I can't see a networking-less linux being much use for anything).
>
> More likely it's just not in your path.  Try /sbin/ifconfig.

I've deleted Red Hat from my machine and replaced it with SuSE.

Localhost now works.

--
Phil [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: me zawadzki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: QUESTION ? What are the IP bandwidth limitations of Linux ?
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:18:07 -0400

Correct !!!

------------------------------

Subject: IP Masq gets confused on 2.0.36
From: Aaron Baugher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Apr 1999 08:41:32 -0500

I'm having a strange problem with IP Masq on a 2.0.36 kernel.  I have
these rules:

/sbin/ipfwadm -F -p deny
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -a accept -m -S 192.168.100.50/32 -D 0.0.0.0/0 -W eth1
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -a accept -m -S 192.168.100.55/32 -D 0.0.0.0/0 -W eth1
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -a accept -m -S 192.168.100.89/32 -D 0.0.0.0/0 -W eth1
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -a accept -m -S 192.168.100.230/32 -D 0.0.0.0/0 -W eth1
/sbin/ipfwadm -M -s 7200 10 60
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -a accept -m -S 192.168.100.0/24 -D 207.xxx.xxx.xxx/32

The local network is on eth0, and eth1 connects to the Internet.  I
also have Squid running (port 3128).  Everything works fine, until one
of the four machines above tries to use Squid.  Those packets
shouldn't be masqueraded, since they aren't going out over eth1, but
they show up in 'ipfwadm -M -l':

tcp  00:41.61 sys89.here.com  localhost          1906 (61105) -> 3128

As soon as that happens, all outgoing tcp on the machine locks up; I
can't even telnet to localhost!  Ping still works fine.  It looks like
the kernel suddenly decides to masqerade all tcp traffic, whether it's
going out eth1 or not.

Any ideas what could be causing this, or rules that could fix it.
I've never had this problem on a 2.0.30 system I'm using, so if all
else fails I'll downgrade the kernel to that.  The only other
difference is that the problem machine has two ethernet cards, while
the working system uses ppp for the gateway connection.

Thanks,
Aaron
--
Aaron Baugher - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - Quincy, IL, USA
Extreme Systems Consulting - http://haruchai.rnet.com/esc/

------------------------------

From: "Douglas A. Haines" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.amin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Printing with IP in Linux
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:36:03 +0000

Hi Folks,
I have my Linux box networking with TCP/IP pretty good at this point,
but I cannot figure out how to get a printer configured through the
spooler that prints to an IP address.  I have a LinkSys Pocket print
server that has an IP address and I can print to this through WinDoze
via TCP/IP.  I recently purchased a book on Linux Secrets and it does
not give me the secret on setting up TCP/IP printers (I guess doing this
is a secret in itself).   I'm running RedHat 5.1 with a 2.0.34 kernel.
Any information is helpful.  Thanks.

Doug Haines

------------------------------

From: K Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DHCP question
Date: 21 Apr 1999 10:30:47 GMT

David Syratt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I have a Linux box installed in a windoze network. I am utilising an
: Internet router box that dynamically generates IP addresses. I cannot seem
: to find any reference to connecting to a DHCP system in the Linux network
: administrators guide.

I don't know if this would help you out, but I use dhcpcd, the client
daemon for my linux box to get a dynamic ip from my cable modem ISP's dhcp
server.

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Miles)
Subject: Re: NetGear 10/100 Ethernet Card and drivers
Date: 21 Apr 1999 14:59:17 GMT

In article <7fj2qc$f36$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Brian Zamora  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a Pentium running Linux 5.1(I think I seem to be the only one
>running 5.1) Anyways The Netgear310tx net card is timing out when I turn
>on the computer. Basically it says timing out and I press ctrl-c to login.
>Everything works fine but the netcard keeps timing out.
>
>I have a new driver for it,tulip.c, but it didn't come with any
>documentation. Shucks I don't know what to do with the file can anyone
>help me out?

This card is weird.  I have one system that runs these cards fine; another
that won't.  The systems are nearly identical, running the same
version of Debian (slink/2.0.36).  Finally replaced the card in the system
that wouldn't run with a 3Com card -- and had immediate success.
Oh yes, if the cards were swapped, the problem stayed with the system, not
with the card.  These are multiboot systems, Winxx was able to network
with these cards.  I had tried 3 or 4 versions of the tulip driver without
success.

In case you want to try, the tulip.c driver goes into
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net IIRC.  You'll have to recompile the module
or kernel to use it.

Hope you have better luck than I had.

        -frank

From: "nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ms pptp and ipfwadm
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 01:07:55 +0800

Hello,

I have a problem of Microsoft PPTP service and Linux ipfwadm, I am using
"ipfwadm" as a firewall to allow my private network to access internet
service. I can access all internet service from my private network, however,
I cannot connect to all Microsoft PPTP servers where I thru my linux box ( I
can connect to the PPTP server when I bypass my Linux box) .

I have tried to set the default IN/OUT policies of IPFWADM to "permit all"
but the problem still cannot be fixed !

My linux box is running RH 5.2 (Keneral 2.0.36), the IPFWADMIN program is
come with the RH version and I don't enable "ACCESS CONTROL LIST" on my
router. What's wrong ? Do you have any idea about the problem ?

Please help. Thanks :-)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:27:16 -0700
From: I Like Spam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installation Help

It sounds like a simple and good idea.
First you have to configure a program called
named, the name daemon.

You should be able to get by with a bare system
as long as you do the network support.

I suggest installing the documentation too,
since you never know what you might find.

The final step is to tell the network hosts
that you are now the DNS, again pretty easy, and
if on the big net, you have to tell someone upstream
that your host is doing dns.
]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Answering the phone
Date: 21 Apr 1999 17:28:23 GMT

In <7fktq3$n3k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Andre Malafaya Baptista" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

>You must set it to answer after 6 rings.
>Just send it ATS0=6    ( I think) before trying the connection.

No. A) Make sure that you are using mgetty.
b) ATS0=0 to switch off autoanswering by the modem
c) rings 6
in /etc/mgetty*/mgetty.config

------------------------------

From: Paolo Ciccone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Linux - My honest opinion
Date: 21 Apr 1999 10:56:55 -0700

    defaultuser> Mr. Feiner's post is a perfect example of why people
    defaultuser> must continue to use Windows.  The level of arrogance
    defaultuser> and smugness that I have encountered in this
    defaultuser> community is truly astounding.

As in any newsgroup there are people that are arrogant and despise who
is not as "skilled" as they are. Bill Gates dialog with the DoJ shows
that he is one of them. Nevertheless I believe that the Linux
community and in general the Free Software people are in majority
polite and very supportinve. Don't be turnd off by few ill-manered
kids, there's a lot of maturity and common sense in the people using
Linux and many of them are very willing to help other, less
experienced, people. having said so, the original post was showing a
badly written critique of the OS, several arguments had no foundation
and the original poster simply didn't do his homework. I recently
tried a Mac for the first time and if I had to go with my first
impression and post something on the net I can assure you it would
have been very hard on the Apple OS (I still don't like it and think
that is not intuitive but I learned few things since then).

--Paolo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Roberts)
Subject: Re: RealTek RTL 8029 PCI Ethernet Driver
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 17:45:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Iain Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Is there one ?  Is there a compatible one?
> (For RedHat 5.2)
>
> Is there a Santa Claus ???
>
> TIA
>
> iain

Yes, and Yes.

Part of the kernel source. Either my name or as NE2000.

--
Jim Roberts         Never enough time!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Proper securing of linux server and local network from hackers, etc.
From: Aaron Baugher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Apr 1999 06:45:35 -0500

"Tim Underwood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What is the proper/best method for securing a system and LAN
> configured as follows:

> 1.  Local LAN uses private Class C addresses of 192.168.0.x, all IP
> masks are 255.255.255.0 It has been my understanding that these
> "private" addresses are ignored by the internet, and that ISP's,
> etc. will not forward packets destined to these "private" network
> addresses.

That's right.  You can firewall any incoming packets to the 192.168.0
net, just to be sure, since they are guaranteed to be unwanted.

> 2.  Linux box is internet gateway, using diald.  IP forwarding is
> ON.  I have heard some comments about not using telnet to login to
> your linux box, as the root password is passed "in the clear" across
> the LAN.  However, do these packets actually go outside of my
> network?  Even with IP forwarding on?  Since the network is all on
> 192.168.0.x, and my ISP address is 206.x.y.z when I'm dialed in?

No, your telnet sessions from one 192.168.0. box to another will not
be sent across your dialup link, unless you have some really messed up
routing.

> 3.  I have commented out most processes in /etc/inetd.conf, and the
> ones that are left active are using tcpd.  I'm not sure about the
> "talk" and "ntalk" protocols

You'll only need 'talk' and 'ntalk' if you want to use them.  If you
don't know what they are, you don't need them.

> #
> # hosts.allow
> #
> ALL:127.0.0.1
> ALL:192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
>
> #
> # hosts.deny
> #
> ALL:ALL

This is fine, assuming that you don't want any incoming connections at
all.

> 4.  I have enabled shadow passwords.
>
> 5.  I have a caching name server (named) installed.
>
> 6.  I have Apache installed for intranet web services.
>
> 7.  I have anonymous ftp installed.

If you want this reachable from the outside, you'll need to add it to
hosts.allow above.

> 8.  I have the following processes running on my linux box that
> interact with the internet - sendmail, fetchmail, leafnode/fetch
> (usenet), squid-novm http proxy, diald, ftpget (for proxy ftp).

> All workstations are Win95/98.  I use GetRight (a batch ftp download
> program) that allows HTTP 1.1 retries of interrupted downloads.
> (All PCs are configured to use the squid proxy on the linux box).

> In the future, I want to set up a ppp server, and allow dial-in to
> my system.  I currently don't play remote games, but might want to
> allow this in the future.  I haven't installed ipfwadmin.  Should I?
> What problems am I likely to run into?

That depends on what you allow dialin users to do.  What do you have
in mind that would cause you to want to allow dialup?  I'm not sure
what that has to do with online games.

> Are there some security programs that I can run on my system that
> will safely show me any security holes I have?  I seem to remember
> one named 'satan' 1-2 years ago, but am not sure.  Also, is there
> something in the same vein that I can run externally (dialed up
> through ppp server, or attempt to run against my ip address, once
> dialed in through my ISP), that will show any external
> vulnerabilities?

You can use a program like sniffit or tcpdump to monitor all packets
across your ppp interface.  This will tell you if there is anything
going out that you don't want, and can also show incoming attempts.

There is a Linux Security HOWTO
<http://www.ssc.com/linux/LDP/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO.html> that covers
most of the basics.  You could also hunt down the TrinityOS document,
that goes into specifics on firewalling and many other things.

> Vital stats:
> Redhat 5.2 distribution
> kernel                      2.0.36
> sendmail                8.9.2-1
> fetchmail                4.7.1-1
> squid-novm            1.1.22-2
> diald                        0.16.5a-1
> apache                      1.3.3-1
> ftpd                            0.10-3

You might not want to give out exact version numbers of the software
on your system.  If any of those packages has a known security hole,
you've just told everyone about it.  :-)  Given your
hosts.{allow,deny} files, though, that shouldn't cause you any worry.

Aaron
--

Subject: Re: free-agent
From: Aaron Baugher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Apr 1999 06:52:00 -0500

celeborn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi, does everybody know if an app exists to read the news off-line
> like free agent under windows ?

If you run leafnode, a light-weight news server, you can read news on
your own machine, with the speed that entails.  Leafnode will fetch
only the newsgroups you read from your newsserver, and store them
locally.  You can set it to update regularly with a cron job, or to
run whenever you bring up your dialup connection.  Then just point the
newsreader of your choice to localhost, and away you go.

Aaron

From: mist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 19:02:26 +0100

Tim Underwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribed to us that -
>What is the proper/best method for securing a system and LAN configured as
>follows:

<snip already answered stuff>

>3.  I have commented out most processes in /etc/inetd.conf, and the ones
>that are left active are using tcpd.
>I'm not sure about the "talk" and "ntalk" protocols

Most likely you wont need those.

<Snip>

>5.  I have a caching name server (named) installed.

Make sure you upgrade to the latest version.

>6.  I have Apache installed for intranet web services.

Same  with that.

>7.  I have anonymous ftp installed.

Make sure it's set up properly, or it can be a big hole.

<snip>

>Are there some security programs that I can run on my system that will
>safely show me any security holes I have?  I seem to remember one named
>'satan'  1-2 years ago, but am not sure.

There are ones called SAINT and COPS.  And tripwire. And others.

<snip>

Make sure you keep up with the latest version of Sendmail.

--
Mist.

------------------------------

From: Alex Sleeis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Corrupt transfer through SMB.  Linux -> Win95
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:45:19 +0000

This isn't a major problem for me, but is something
I encountered.

First, System info:
Cyrix P166+, generic NE2000 Eth card, Redhat 5.2, 2.2.1 kernel, Samba
2.0.3, using LinNeighborhood to mount.

I have a Win95 share mounted to my linux machine.  I had tar'd up a
bunch of files, with multiple subdirectories.  When I untarred the file
from a local partition across the SMB share, I got the typical message
saying it can't modify the file's date/time attributes.  So, I decided
to use -m for tar.  No errors in the tar extraction.  When I went to
access the files on the Win95 machine, it was VERY strange.  Files
seemed to have combined, had corrupt characters.  I decided to untar the
file on my linux box first, and then initiate the transfer from the
Win95 machine, accessing a share on the linux box.  That worked fine.

Anyone got any ideas on what caused the corruption.  I'm guessing I just
hit some strange bug in Samba, or maybe the combination of tar with
samba.  It's not detrimental to me, so I'm not going to dig much
further.  Just thought I'd share the problem, and see if any of you
over-thinkers (like I tend to be sometimes) wanted to take a thought at
this.  *smile*

-Alex

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gareth Jones)
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:42:22 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philipp Thomas) wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Apr 1999 19:54:25 -0700, Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>>hundred dollars on books! Besides, you can't get better documentation
>>than free source-code! (oh, and any bugs actually tend to get *fixed*!)
>>Just thought I'd add my 2 bits worth in!
>
>Well, IMO that's only partially right. First of all, only experienced
>programmers will be able to read code. And code only helps if it's decently
>documented (guess why for instance, gcc has documentation describing its
>internals). This is specially true for something like the linux kernel where
>black assembly magic and other non obvious coding tricks are used.
>
>Guess why there is a market for very technical books about linux internals and
>driver writing ?
>
>I think more important than being a documentation is that source code allows
>you to fix problems yourself and in case of printed documentation allows you
>to verify what's written.

Access to the source - even if you yourself cannot understand it,
makes documentation possible. You can hire someone to read the code
and explain to you how it works. I imagine that you would have to part
with very large sums of money indeed to get MS to reveal the full
details of NT's native API.

Gareth