  Re: linuxconf and ipalias error messages (Rudolf Potucek)

From: Bill Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.networking.general,redhat.servers.general
Subject: Re: Samba is picky about showing up in Net Neighborhood
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 09:24:25 -0700

==============04985C5B0283AAECA2D4B8C5

I saw some funky stuff similar to what you report when I was setting up SAMBA.
I ain't no SAMBA expert, but did stumble into a config that works with Win95,
win98, and WinNTWS PCs through a lot of reading, trial and error, and dumb
luck.

I first found that Win95 PCs could see my Linux box in Network Neighborhood
(NN), but NTWS and Win98 PCs couldn't. That problem went away when I switched
from security = user to security = share, with share modes = yes.

I have the Linux box set up as the master browser (local master = yes), but
not as a domain master. I have entered all addressess of my LAN PC's addresses
into the Linux box's host config file. Haven't had to mess with any of the Win
PC's browser settings. These PCs have both TCPIP and IPX on them.

I'm using RedHat 6.0, with standard Server Class installation. It's set up as
a router with ip masquerading to provide internet services to the rest of my
LAN. So, all of my Win PCs are set up to use the Linux box as a gateway and
for DNS too.

In case it helps, I'm attaching my smb.conf file. Good luck.

Bill Steiner

jakemp wrote:

> I have read alot of problems with samba showing up in network neighborhood
>
> on win9x machines.  Mine is different.  I have read those easy to setup
>
> samba sites that everyone keeps posting and have followed them closely.  I
>
> started out with 2.0.3 and have upgraded to 2.0.4b and I have the same
>
> problem with both.  At first I could not see my samba server on my win98
>
> box at all.  However I could access it through find computer.  It shows up
>
> there and I can access the shared directories and map them to a drive
>
> letter.  The only way I could get it to show up in net. neighb. is to
>
> disable master browsing on win98 and make the samba server domain master.
>
> When I restart Samba services it shows up great in netneighb. however the
>
> win98 and win95 boxes do not show up.  Yet they can still be accessed
>
> through find computer and all shared directories can be accessed.  Here's
>
> the kicker....when I enable master browsing on the win98 machine as auto,
>
> and reboot, the samba server show's up....then my win98 machine...then the
>
> samba server dissappears.......then the win95 machine appears.  The samba
>
> server can still be accessed from find computer.
>
> I have tried LM announce enabled on both the win98 machine and samba.
>
> samba is configured to have a guest account
>
> samba is set up for wins support...
>
> the samba lmhosts and hosts files are in order (I have tested them with
>
> ping)
>
> samba is set to be browsable
>
> the win9x machines are both configured for wins
>
> samba is prefered master, local master, and domain master.
>
> os level is set to be 65 (which should beat out an NT server)
>
> it announces itself to be NT Server.
>
> all computers are in the same workgroup
>
> Samba can see itself (smbclient -L localhost)
>
> Does anyone have the same problem?
>
> Once again everything works fine through find computer (mapping drives,
>
> download and upload files).  It just wont show up in net. neighb.
>
> John

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com

==============04985C5B0283AAECA2D4B8C5

# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
# many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
# to check that you have not many any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = xxxxxx

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = Samba Server

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
   hosts allow = 10.0.0. 127.

# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = no
# Note by WES: say yes only if host has printer(s)

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
;   printing = bsd

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to /etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
;  guest account = pcguest

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
;   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
;   max log size = 50

# Added 7/1/99 WES)
   share modes = yes

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = share
# Note by WES: NT and Win9x work with share, only Win95 works with user

# Use password server option only with security = server
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

# Password Level allows matching of _n_ characters of the password for
# all combinations of upper and lower case.
;  password level = 8
;  username level = 8

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
;  encrypt passwords = yes
;  smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

# The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to
# update the Linux sytsem password also.
# NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file' above.
# NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
#        the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password
#        to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
;  unix password sync = Yes
;  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
;  passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n

# Unix users can map to different SMB User names
;  username map = /etc/smbusers

# Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
# on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
# of the machine that is connecting
;   include = /etc/smb.conf.%m

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

# Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
# If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
# here. See the man page for details.
;   interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24

# Configure remote browse list synchronisation here
#  request announcement to, or browse list sync from:
#       a specific host or from / to a whole subnet (see below)
;   remote browse sync = 192.168.3.25 192.168.5.255

# Cause this host to announce itself to local subnets here
;   remote announce = 192.168.1.255 192.168.2.44

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
   local master = yes
# Changed above 7/1/99 WES

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
;   os level = 33

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
;   domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
   preferred master = yes
# Changed above 7/1/99 WES

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one  WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
;   wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = yes
# Changed above 7/1/99 WES

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
; [netlogon]
;   comment = Network Logon Service
;   path = /home/netlogon
;   guest ok = yes
;   writable = no
;   share modes = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
;[Profiles]
;    path = /home/profiles
;    browseable = no
;    guest ok = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

#
# A private printer, usable only by fred. Spool data will be placed in fred's
# home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool directory,
# wherever it is.
;[fredsprn]
;   comment = Fred's Printer
;   valid users = fred
;   path = /homes/fred
;   printer = freds_printer
;   public = no
;   writable = no
;   printable = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that all files
# created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user, so
# any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously this
# directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could of course
# be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user instead.
[Public]
   path = /home/public
   public = yes
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
#  Changed above 7/1/99 WES

[Share]
# Shared directory added 7/1/99 WES
   path = /home/share
   public = yes
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes

[Hardware]
# Shared directory added 7/2/99 WES
   path = /home/share/hardware
   public = yes
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes

[Software]
# Shared directory added 7/2/99 WES
   path = /home/share/software
   public = yes
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes

# The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that two
# users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users. In this
# setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have the
# sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be extended to
# as many users as required.
;[myshare]
;   comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
;   path = /usr/somewhere/shared
;   valid users = mary fred
;   public = no
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no
;   create mask = 0765

==============04985C5B0283AAECA2D4B8C5==

------------------------------

From: "Jim Webster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 6.0 and 3c509 problems
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 11:42:42 -0400

I wrestled with my networking for several hours trying to get it to work.
It would always fail at boot time trying to bring up eth0.
I could do "insmod 3c509" and and then "ifconfig eth0 up" and could
ping only myself but no other machine.
Finally after reading thru some posts here, I changed the bios to
make IRQ 5 a "ISA legacy" device.  Now it sort of works.

Still fails at boot time - just says Bringing up eth0 interface [FAILED] -
followed by nfs failures, etc.
But then if, at command line, I then do "insmod 3c509" followed by
"ifconfig eth0 200.1.1.1 up" then it starts working - I can go off
network fine.

I looked at boot messages with dmesg and see nothing about eth0.

My /etc/sysconfig/network:
NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=no
HOSTNAME=odin
DOMAINNAME=
GATEWAY=0.0.0.0
GATEWAYDEV=eth0

My /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=200.1.1.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=200.1.1.0
BROADCAST=200.1.1.255
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
USERCTL=no

This all looks pretty normal to me.

Have looked at pretty much every file I can find but can't find anything
that looks wrong.
Did not find where the actual "insmod" is performed or how it is determined
that the bringup of eth0 failed.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to track this down.

Thanks,
Jim Webster

------------------------------

From: "Bruce Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A mess at work on LInux
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 17:37:19 GMT

MIKE MURRAY <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have converted my business to using a Linux 6.0 Server with Win 95
> clients.
> It works great as long as only one of the workstations is accessing the
> data files.
> When 2 workstations try to access the same files,  I getl a sharing
> violation on the
> Win95 workstation and have to go to the server and kill the workstation
> to even
> get the Other workstation to move ahead. It happens every time.
>
> I've read pages til my eyes are running red. I just don't know what;
> permissions to set or
> what to try., but I'm not giving up.
>
> Linux is going to work for us in the end
>
> Thanks.

It's not Linux, the problem is in Windows, ---Are you running share.exe in
the clients autoexec.bat ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anthony Ord)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.security.firewalls
Subject: Re: My Dissapointment to find Linux not a viable solution
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 16:44:01 GMT

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999 22:13:28 -0600, John Thompson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Stuart Fox wrote:
>> > Yes, MS Office viruses are the worst. The best solution is use another
>> > word processing package. *In fact* the only people that have been hit
>> > with any notable viruses lately are MS Office uses. A good argument for
>> > Applix or Word Perfect.
>> Or get a virus scanner that supports macro viruses....
>That would help, but most virus scanning is reactive and
>will not catch the brand-spankin' new viruses as they
>appear.  Heuristic based scanning is more proactive and
>helps address that shortcoming of traditional scanning but
>does in principle carry with it a higher risk of false
>positives.  By using an alternative word-processor package
>as the first writer suggests you avoid both these problems,
>but at the cost of potentially losing some features

Or gaining new features - don't forget that.

>and/or
>inter-operability with other users who may not be using the
>same software you are.

That's the problem with viruses - interoperability.

>No such thing as a free lunch, as they say...

Regards

Anthony
| And when our worlds                   |
| They fall apart                       |
| When the walls come tumbling in       |
| Though we may deserve it              |
| It will be worth it  - Depeche Mode   |

From: Didier Dupuy d'Angeac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.security.firewalls
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 19:42:38 +0200

Did you have a look to the AMaViS incoming-mail virus scanning utility
(available at http://satan.oih.rwth-aachen.de/AMaViS/) for Linux.

We use it and quite satisfied.

 Didier Dupuy D'Angeac - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 http://www.webstore.fr
 Webstore, les CyberBoutiques
 12, rue de Russie - 06000 NICE
 Tél : (33) 04 93 87 87 99 - FAX : (33) 04 93 87 14 14
 A visiter : http://www.webstore.fr/

------------------------------

From: "Bruce Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.firewalls
Subject: Re: DHCP for 2 addresses on the same ethernet card?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 17:34:28 GMT

Rudolf Potucek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7moiju$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hey!
>
> Has anyone managed to set up a DHCP client to get 2 dynamic IPs on the
> same physical interface? My problem is, I have an ADSL modem linked
> to a linux gate and a couple of machines behind the gate on 10.x.x.x. For
> obvious reasons I don't want to get a hub and an additional network card
> just to get the 2nd dynamic IP.
>
> I tried:
>
> > ifconfig eth0 up
> > ifconfig eth0:0 up
> > dhcpcd eth0
> > dhcpcd eth0:0
>
> This works fine for the first copy of the DHCP client demon (eth0), but
the
> 2nd copy (eth0:0) just conks out with
>
> dhcpStart: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
>
> I am using RH6.0 with dhcpcd1.3.17pl2, just in case that make a
> difference ...
>
> All help appreciated,
>
>   Rudolf

No,
an ethernet interface card can only have one address. If you want to
attached  two ethernet segments to one box, you need two NIC's one for the
static ip address and a second for the DHCP.

Bruce
Electric Rodeo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tomislav)
Subject: Re: Auto check for email
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 14:48:19 +0200

In article <7msfvi$bis$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...

Yes, look at http://www.freshmeat.net for them.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://tojo.home.dhs.org/pgp.asc

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam Bruskin)
Subject: Re: authentication problem 49333/ARQ?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 17:23:00 GMT

please excuse my ignorance, but

how do i put a pause in the linuxconf dialog? and would this
accomplish the waiting for the modem response to come and go? or would
there be something else/
( i notice that a "/d" may be a pause)
thanks

On Sun, 18 Jul 1999 07:19:25 -0500, Richard Hinton
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrotd:

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rudolf Potucek)
Subject: Re: linuxconf and ipalias error messages
Date: 18 Jul 1999 17:36:26 GMT

Did you recompile the kernel? For me everything works fine but I think
the default setting of the compilation config might be lo as module ...
whoever came up with THAT idea. Just make sure you compile it into the
kernel I guess.

Rudolf

Olivier Baudron ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: When my lo interface is activated by "ifup lo", I obtain 50 error messages
: saying that modprobe could not find the module lo (???)
: I isolated the problem in the command "linuxconf --hint ipalias lo" from the
: script /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifup-aliases.
: Is the linuxconf (version 1.14r4 on a RH6.0) broken ?

: Olivier.