Linux-Networking Digest #470, Volume #11          Wed, 9 Jun 99 18:13:45 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux & Cybercafe (Alan Curry)
  Re: Simple way to detect if network is active? (Darren Durbin)
  INN and a list of newsgroups (Uwe Homm)
  Re: netscape questions ("Mark F. Burgo ( Systems Administrator )")
  Re: Strange PPP Problems with RH6.0 (was Re: ppp: Protocol-Reject for unsupported
protocol?) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  using two modems in ppp server (Mathhew Johnston)
  AW: Not getting anywhere with Samba (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Peter_H=E4ufel?=)
  Re: where the heck ARE the linux drivers @? ("bv")
  Re: Delaying eth1 Initialization (Santiago de Pablo)
  Re: Help! NFS won't work (Roope Anttinen)
  Re: Restricted telnet access ("Ferdinand V. Mendoza")
  ip_masq_icq for kernel 2.0.36 (Marcel Lemmen)
  The Make command (Frank =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F8rgensen?=)
  Re: How to secure ftp-uploaded files ("Tevz Potocnik")
  Re: Making an ICQ server (Justin The Cynical)
  Linux & Cybercafe ("MicroNg")
  rexecd on RedHat (Janet Jen)
  DUN/ppp problems with Redhat 6.0/Gnome (Trevor Smithson)

Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Linux & Cybercafe
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Curry)
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 20:10:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Maurice Kemmann  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>You can configure the windowmanager without any xterm. So the users are
>not able to start any other program. On the desktop you offer only the
>browser. Login should be via xdm !
>That's it i think !

And you think netscrape provides an unbreakable jail environment?
Edit/Preferences/Navigator/Applications - look, an editable list of commands
to be run.

Anonymous public X terminal access is not going to be easy to do right.
--
Alan Curry    |Declaration of   | _../\. ./\.._     ____.    ____.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]|bigotries (should| [    | |    ]    /    _>  /    _>

------------------------------

From: Darren Durbin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Simple way to detect if network is active?
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 21:59:07 +0100

Greg Boes wrote:

> Steve Snyder wrote in message ...
> >I've got RedHat v6.0 installed on a notebook machine.  Sometimes the
> >machine is connected to our LAN and sometimes it is not.
> >
> >I would like to wrap network-related tasks (update time, etc.)  in a check
> >to determine if a connection is present, with the task not being performed
> >if no connection is found.  Is there a simple way to test if the system has
> >a working network connection?
>
> Here's how I do it with ksh:
> pppup='/sbin/ifconfig|grep ppp`
> if [[ -n $pppup ]]
> then
>         do something
> fi

I don't think this will work. Presuming the LAN connection is an
ethernet card then changing your script to check for eth0 will always
'do something' because eth0 can present wether or not the machine is
physically connected to the network.

If you know that a particular IP address is in use on your network that
you could try something like

        pppup=`ping -c 1 x.x.x.x | grep '100%'`

Where x.x.x.x is an address you know to be 'pingable' on your network.

Not an ideal solution, and it will introduce something like a 6s delay (
on this machine ) when not on the network upon running the script

Darren

--
Darren Durbin                   'I know that this is vitriol, no solution,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     spleen venting, but I feel better having

------------------------------

From: Uwe Homm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: INN and a list of newsgroups
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 23:54:45 +0200

Hi,

i just try to configure INN my first time and now i read that i have to
provide a list of newsgroups which i can get by the command getlist

i dont find this command in my SuSE 6.0.

Do somebody have some hints either i can download this programm or how i
can get a list of newsgroups of an newsfeed to configure INN?

answers please to my adress mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

greetings

Uwe Homm

------------------------------

From: "Mark F. Burgo ( Systems Administrator )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: netscape questions
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 14:33:29 -0400

Rage-DCA wrote:

> i had a question about netscape. it seems since i installed 4.08 all the
> icons on below the netscape menu are black and gray when they should be
> color. i'm talking about the reload button, back button, etc. they are
> all black. i was just wondering what could be causing this. my friend
> who also runs slackware 3.5 upgraded netscape the same way i did and
> didn't have a problem. i've also tried deleting and reinstalling
> netscape (i used numerous versions). even 4.51 has the problem. if ya
> have any ideas, please let me know.
>
> --
>
> Jason Osborne (Rage-DCA)
> - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - http://rage.dynip.com
> - LinuxInside - I run it, do you?

It's the color depth you are running at I would believe.  Try starting X
with -bpp 16 or 32.

mark
--
==================================
Burgo Systems / Consulting

This message was sent by Mark F. Burgo
On RedHat Linux 5.2
Burgo Systems / Consulting is happy to preload Linux on your new
BS/C System,  Factory Direct
==================================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Strange PPP Problems with RH6.0 (was Re: ppp: Protocol-Reject for
unsupported protocol?)
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 20:06:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I successfully installed RH 6.0 Intel (Kernel
2.2.5-15) and have a strange problem
> related to the one below:
>
> I can successfully establish a PPP connection
through ttyS0 to my Ricochet wireless
> modem. KPPP connects and gets an IP address. I
can then ping, traceroute, and do
> DNS lookups without any problems. The output
from netstat looks fine.

> However, if I try www, ftp, or other TCP based
services, I receive no responses to
> the packets that are sent out.

I've seen the same problem, and the MTU/MRU
limitation suggested in follow-up notes didn't do
the trick.  I did some packet tracing of Ricochet
vs. modem access to a local ISP and discovered
that there were some subtle differences in the
protocol negotiation.  This persuaded me to
disable Van Jacobson compression and all is well!

FYI: pppd 2.3.7 with kernel 2.2.5-15 w/ ppp 2.3.3
and kernel 2.2.9 w/ ppp 2.3.7 had the same
problems.

Since diagnosing the problem, I found Alan Cox
reported this problem for a pre-release of 2.2.0.
It looks like this problem has not been resolved.
He suggests setting the pppd option "-vj", but
you'll have to use "novj" with later versions of
pppd.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Mathhew Johnston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: using two modems in ppp server
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 20:29:19 +1200

HI all

I am having a bit of a problem setting up a PPP server at work using linu=
(kernel 2.2.4), I have two modems installed one on ttyS1 and one on ttyS3=
, I'm
using mgetty ver 1.0.0 to answer the incoming calls, pppd ver 2.3.7 for t=
he
interface connection, using both IPX, and IP, they both answer the calls
fine and configure the PPP Interface with the set IPX Node and IP Address=
 for
ttyS3 (the first modem I have installed), but when using the modem in tty=
S1 the
IPX Node Address is right, but the IP address is still the IP address ass=
igned
to the other modem (ttyS3), I have a common /etc/ppp/options file, and th=
etc/ppp/options.ttyS1 and options.ttyS3 for each modem which has the indi=
vidual
IPX and IP settings. here are the files used in my setup.....If anybody h=
as
anycules please let me know....thanks.

/etc/ppp/options :
============

modem
kdebug 1=20
crtscts
auth
lock
ipx
ipx-network 00000003
ipx-routing 2
ipx-router-name LinuxPPP
ipxcp-accept-remote
ms-dns 175.20.254.5
netmask 255.255.0.0
login
-chap
+pap
proxyarp

/etc/ppp/options.ttyS1 :
================

ipx-node ABCDEF03:0
175.20.254.11:175.20.224.24

/etc/ppp/options.ttyS3
===============

ipx-node ABCDEF02:0
175.20.254.11:175.20.224.1

/usr/local/etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config
=============================

/AutoPPP/ -=09-=09/usr/sbin/pppd  =20

/etc/inittab
=======

# Dialup lines
S1:12345:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/mgetty -D -s 115200 /dev/ttyS1
S3:12345:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/mgetty -D -s 115200 /dev/ttyS3

cheers mat

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Peter_H=E4ufel?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AW: Not getting anywhere with Samba
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:38:04 +0200

Hey Mattis,

you have sent very poor information about your
samba configuration.

Do you have a PDC running,
do you want to verify the passwords
by the PDC or by your Linux Server,
have you added your passwords with
smbpasswd, are theses passwords the same
as the passowrds created with passwd,
are you using a NIS server,
have you checked your smb.conf file
with testparm?

That's enough for the moment.

Best regards

Mit freundlichen Gruessen
> Peter Haeufel
> Dipl.-Ing.
> Systemberater
> InfoConcept GmbH
> CompetenceCenter f=FCr Netze und Betriebssysteme
> M=F6rscher Str. 17-25
> 76275 Ettlingen=09
> Fon.: 07243/5380-33
> Fax.: 07243/5380-99
> EMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.InfoConcept.com
>=20
Gesch=E4ftsstellen: M=FCnchen - Stuttgart - Ulm - Heilbronn - Kaiserslauter=

=====Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht=====
Von: Mattis Adams [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Gesendet am: Montag, 7. Juni 1999 15:56
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: Not getting anywhere with Samba

I can see our Linux (Debian 2.1) server in our NT/Win98/Win95 network,
but cannot access any files. I've tried various settings in
samba.conf, but would surely appreciate advice from someone who has
gotten this to work...

Mattis A.

------------------------------

From: "bv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,linux.help
Subject: Re: where the heck ARE the linux drivers @?
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 22:25:22 +0200

Try the newest kernel...
Bob heeft geschreven in bericht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

From: Santiago de Pablo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Delaying eth1 Initialization
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 12:31:17 +0200

Drake Christensen escribió:

> I'm trying to set up a 486/33 as a firewall using RedHat 5.2.
>
> I have two SOHOware ND5320 NICs, and used the DOS disk to turn off PnP.
> In conf.modules, I've swapped the eth0 and eth1 options and verified that
> both work as eth0.

The problem is the alias at /etc/conf.modules, but I don't know ALL the
solution.
Following is what I have:
  alias eth0 rtl8139
  alias eth1 ne
  options ne io=0x340 irq=5

So, there is no problem between rtl8139 and ne. If you have TWO equal
NICs,
you cannot write options for them (or I don't know how), until you name
them different. One solution (not good, but it works) is to change the
name
of the driver say for eth1: in my case they are at
/lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/net,
so cp /lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/net/ne.o
/lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/net/neplus.o,
and then you can do
  alias eth0 ne
  alias eth1 neplus
  options ne io=0x340 irq=5
  options neplus io=0x300 irq=3

Luck, Santiago.

------------------------------

From: Roope Anttinen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help! NFS won't work
Date: 9 Jun 1999 10:29:12 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking Jim & Rima <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm trying to get NFS working between two Redhat 5.2 boxes (client and
> server).  This is for a network testbed that's on a completely isolated
> network; I just want to test NFS throughput on the testbed.  The client

<snip>

> every mount attempt it states that I'm an unauthorized user.

<snip>

> In addition I'm running portmap, nfsd, mountd, nfsfs, and autofs on both
> machines (whether or not they both need them).  The fstab and export
> files look OK; I'm using IP addresses instead of hostnames since we
> don't have DNS on our testbed.

Try lookin' into /etc/hosts.[deny|allow] and if this is totally isolated
network you may put even ALL:ALL to the allow-file.

Roope

--
MicroSoft? is that some kind of a toilet paper?
PS: Look for address here, not from headers. And remove NOSPAM's

------------------------------

From: "Ferdinand V. Mendoza" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Restricted telnet access
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 14:56:51 +0400

One thing, your /etc/passwd file could be vulnerable for password
cracking if you don't implement  shadow passwords.
It's built-in in the 5.2. YOu only have to enable it but there are warnings
of course.

Ferdinand

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marcel Lemmen)
Subject: ip_masq_icq for kernel 2.0.36
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 20:39:04 GMT

Hi all,

I'm lookin' for the module called ip_masq_icq.o for kernel version
2.0.36
I wan't to open ports for my ICQ client, but I don't have the module.

Please E-mail me back

Thnx

Marcel Lemmen

------------------------------

From: Frank =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F8rgensen?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: The Make command
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 12:58:40 +0200

Hi All,

I've just downloaded a program called Gftp, but the install file tell me
to run a command called Make. But i dosn't have that command, so can
someone help me getting that file . . .Please?????

Yours faithfully

Frank Jørgensen from Denmark

------------------------------

From: "Tevz Potocnik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to secure ftp-uploaded files
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 20:58:31 +0200

Set the permissions in ftpaccess file to be 644.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Justin The Cynical)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Making an ICQ server
Date: 9 Jun 1999 10:29:08 GMT

On Mon, 07 Jun 1999 02:47:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

[snip]

->they're still missing a few of the features of the new client.  I'd
->really like to see somebody port AIM to *NIX, since that's the best 2
->person chat client that I've found, and it does really well with
->firewalls since it uses almost only UDP, from what I've seen.

        Why wait?  The 'official' port works fine.  I'm using it now, and have
been using it for a while.  Works fine.  Check freshmeat.net of AOL's home
page.

--
"You owe the Oracle a case of 64 condoms for this weekend, a gallon of peanut
oil, and some Crown Royal." - Internet Oracle, Oracularity #1096-06

Justin The Cynical, Bastard of Smaug - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "MicroNg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Linux & Cybercafe
Date: 9 Jun 1999 11:04:53 GMT

Hi,
I'm thinking of putting linux as the surf engine (with program like
netscape communicator for linux)
however, how to limit the access that so the user can only access the
browser but NOT any other
program ? ( to access other program, for eg for the webmaster to shutdown
the computer, an passcode
is required).

any idea ?

--
NO UCE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

------------------------------

From: Janet Jen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: rexecd on RedHat
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 14:11:07 -0700

==============DE5E4AD9449FC53E4044062E

Hi,
    Does anyone ever make rexec work on Red Hat Linux? I uncommented the
'exec' line in inetd.conf and sent signal to inetd.

    But when I tried it, the rexecd does not seem to respond.

    Any ideas or comments

Janet Jen                       telnet:         447-3251
IASD                            phone:          +1 (408) 447-3251
Hewlett-Packard Company         fax:            +1 (408) 447-2264
19420 Homestead Road            email:          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cupertino, CA 95014, USA        mail stop:      43LM

==============DE5E4AD9449FC53E4044062E

<HTML>
Hi,
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Does anyone ever make rexec work on Red Hat Linux?
I uncommented the 'exec' line in inetd.conf and sent signal to inetd.
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; But when I tried it, the rexecd does not seem to
respond.
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Any ideas or comments
<PRE>--&nbsp;
Janet
Jen&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 telnet:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 447-3251
IASD&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 phone:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +1 (408) 447-3251
Hewlett-Packard Company&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
fax:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +1 (408)
447-2264
19420 Homestead Road&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
email:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cupertino, CA 95014, USA&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; mail
stop:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 43LM</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Smithson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: DUN/ppp problems with Redhat 6.0/Gnome
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 11:55:33 GMT

Hi everyone,

I just installed Redhat's Linux 6.0 on my machine yesterday.  The
installation went well, X works, all my peripherals work, but I
can't get dial up networking to work.

All of my hardware is ok since everything functions in windows,
and while in Linux the modem does dial out and some kind of
connection is apparently made.  I suspect that something is not right
with the script I'm using with Gnome's linuxconf utility.

In Windows, I temporarily forced DUN to step through the logon
procedure. Here are the logon prompts, plus all of the remaining
text that I get:

Welcome to Sprint-ip

sdn-ar-001arfaye00lt slot:3/mod:7

User Access Verification

login:

Password:

---

Now, with Windows, after the password is entered, I get the following
text:

Welcome to Earthlink, entering PPP mode~

...and then the connection is completed.

In linuxconf I have the first expect line set to "ogin", then I send
my logon info, then the second expect to "word:", then I send my
password.  I've tried at least 20 different permutations of the
script.  I'm not absolutley certain that the problem is with the
script, but I can't access web pages, ping doesn't work, so I would
bet that my connection is simply timing out.

I guess it's also possible that the modem connection isn't being made
properly.  Does anyone know where in Windows I can find the init
and dial strings that DUN uses?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to what I should do
next.

Also, if possible please CC your response to me via e-mail, becuase
Earthlink's newserver has been acting up lately and I might not
ever see your message.