Linux-Networking Digest #479, Volume #11         Thu, 10 Jun 99 07:13:41 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux box on NT network: Network Name? Visibility from other hosts? ("Stephan
Beal")
  I can´t get an ip address with DHCP. ("Jörgen Lidén")
  How to create RPM Package ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  samba question (Xavier Garcia)
  Re: Linux can't be a big role...???!!! (Yuki Taga)
  Re: Linux IP Masquerade mini HOWTO (Trapper)
  StarOffice on Linux Slackware 4.0 (Roberto Nunnari)
  ifconfig frame value (Dave Weston)
  Re: how to set up IPmasquerading (Johann)
  Re: diald dying! (Mike Jagdis)
  [newbie Q] how to restart apache (Patrick)
  Re: usr sportster 28.8 modem init string for office use HELP (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: HUB-Question ! ("Chris Ceykovsky")
  Re: can't see network card  - no driver? (Steen)
  Re: 3C509B Etherlink III (Eric)
  Re: Can I deny ordinary user to telnet? (Richard Wright)
  Should the same ppp on/off, chat etc scripts work for ISDN as well as  (Carl Waring)
  Re: Samba and win98 problems (Dirk Riebesell)
  SAMBA HELP!! (Admin)
  Re: PPTP + Samba ? (and NAT) (Brian Somers)
  Re: dialin routing problem (Sitaram Chamarty)
  Re: Setting up a modem that doesn't work ("James Smith")
  Re: [newbie Q] how to restart apache ("Anders Gulden Olstad")

From: "Stephan Beal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux box on NT network: Network Name? Visibility from other hosts?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:25:01 +0200

One of the problems it that I don't _have_ an IP address assigned
specifically to me, so I can't have an entry added to the DNS servers. We
have over 50k machines on our network, so DNS would be a bit cumbersome to
maintain. I get my IP dynamically via dhclient on startup. We do have some
DNS servers, but I'm not sure how well they're maintained.

I do have smbd running, and I've tried all kinds of options in smb.conf,
including the "make Samba emulate a WINS server", but I'm still not visible
in the network neighborhood. :( I thought maybe it was just a matter of
waiting 10 or 20 minutes before I was "echoed" across the network, but no
amount of waiting has made the Linux machine visible.
I'd really like to use this Linux box as our MySQL server instead of our NT
machine, but I can't unless I can get around this problem. :`( Waaaaa.

Nicholas E Couchman wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>We will start with the Network Neighborhood problem.  To have the Linux box
be
>seen in the Neighborhood, you must have a daemon running on the Linux
computer
>that emulates Wintel networking.  Samba is the most common, and maybe the
only,
>daemon that does this.  With Samba, you edit the smb.conf file to match
your
>network settings (be careful, because you can take down WinNT domain
control w/
>Samba).  Your Linux box should appear in the network neighborhood.
>The ping problem.  Your company has a DNS server running on WinNT somewhere
in
>the building (I know because I have my own DNS server at home).  You need
>ask a sys admin around there to assign the IP address of your Linux box a
name
>(ie linux.domain.network).  After they do that, you will be able to ping
using
>name instead of IP.
>--Nick
>
>Stephan Beal wrote:
>
>> I have a Linux (Suse 6.0 w/ many updates, if it matters, running kernel
>> 2.2.latest) machine on a very large (50k users?) NT network. I use DHCP
>> get an IP address at bootup.
>> I can ping machines by name (in the same domain, anyway) and IP (all
across
>> the WAN), but I cannot ping my Linux machine by name. I can ping it by
IP,

------------------------------

From: "Jörgen Lidén" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I can´t get an ip address with DHCP.
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 20:59:29 GMT

Hi! I´m having trouble getting an ip address using DHCP. I´m running RedHat
5.2, kernel 2.2.9 with a cable modem. I´ve managed to get an ip address in
some rare cases, but even then I can´t connect to my ISP server. I`ve read
the DHCP mini-HOWTO and tried out the information given there but it won´t
work. I´ve also upgraded dhcpcd to 1.3.16. Is there anyone that knows what I
might be missing?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to create RPM Package
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:08:46 GMT

Hi All,

        I downloaded 'glibc-2.1pre3' from GNU site, now I want to create RPM
package for this package, I tried 'rpm -tb glibc-2.1pre3.tar.gz' it
didnt work. Pls any body tell me how to do RPM package.

Thanks
Ravindra

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Xavier Garcia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: samba question
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:56:06 +0200

Hi guys,

I had a samba server running well on a RH 5.2 box. But I upgrade it to
SuSe 6.1 and now the linux box doesn't appear in the "network
neighborhood" anymore (it did before SuSe 6.1) but if a search for the
box with the search computer feature in Windows NT, it success and I can
use it.
So why can I find the linux box using "search for a computer" and not in
the network neighborhood" (and the box is declared in the good Domain).

Thanxs a lot for any response (if possible mail me directly)

xg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yuki Taga)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux can't be a big role...???!!!
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:34:32 GMT

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:46:55 GMT, in article
<P3K73.1416$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Jeremiah) wrote:

>       Heh heh... yeah, right.  MS gets away with it for a couple
>reasons:  a) they foist the support off onto OEMs, b) generally,
>clueless Windows users know someone more knowledgeable than themselves
>who can help them, and c) if things really go wrong, in some cases all
>you can do is reinstall from scratch (or buy a new computer).  I know two
>people who (within the last month) had to reinstall Windows from scratch;
>one bought a new computer because the old one was completely messed up.
>(I tend to think b) is the most important of these... )
>       Having been witness to a few people who are brand new to
>computers (I mean literally brand new), I conclude that most people do
>not find Windows (and computers in general) "easy".
>

>>  Anyone with just very basic skills and not any in-depth technical
>> knowledge can install and configure Windows with just a little trial
>> and error, maybe.
>
>       Yeah, right.  Dream on.

Just to clarify this, we need to specify who a typical user is, too.  I say
it's someone with a new computer that has a single EIDE drive, a cd player, a
floppy, a plain-vanilla modem, some speakers, maybe DVD, and that's about it.
These people simply don't need much tech support at all.  The people calling
OEMs and M$ for tech support are people who just added a SCSI card but who
never heard of termination, or other issues that the "average" user doesn't
deal with, like scanners and such.  These are the people who can't figure it
out on their own, often.

Yuki ^_^

------------------------------

From: Trapper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux IP Masquerade mini HOWTO
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:47:56 GMT

NO I definitely DONT think it's needed.

Don't you realize what is going to happen? Somebody will come up with
updates to the text which will never get translated back to the original
English version and suddenly we're left with chaotic documentation.

(No, I'm not an English native speaker myself, but much prefer reading
English documentation to having to peruse several languages worth of
documentation, trying to find out which one is the most correct
version).

Just my 5c on this, after having installed SuSE Linux and found A LOT of
the documentation that is SUPPOSED to be in English is still in German.

--
---
Trapper

From: Roberto Nunnari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: StarOffice on Linux Slackware 4.0
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:31:25 +0200

Hi all.

Can anybody tell me if it's possible to install StarOffice
on a Linux Slackware 4.0 system? Do I need any extra libs?

Best regards.
--
              Roberto Nunnari -software engineer-
                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Dave Weston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ifconfig frame value
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:43:43 GMT

        I'm having a problem with my local network card.  It seems to give a
larg number of frame errors?  I'm not exactly sure what they are, having
read all of the documentation, and not getting anywhere.  This is the
output from ifconfig:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:67:4B:17:19
          inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:1 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x6c00
eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:29:1F:BC:72
          inet addr:24.112.107.147  Bcast:24.255.255.255
Mask:255.255.252.0
          collisions:112644 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x6800
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

        eth0 is a PCI NE2000 clone, a RealTek I think.  eth1 is an smc9432,
using the epic100 kernel driver.  The only other computer on the local
network is a Windows95 machine at 192.168.1.2, with an SMC8432 card,
latest drivers and everything.  This combination results in slow FTP and
other transfers whenever we use ethernet cable and an 8-port hub we
have.  If we use BNC, the problems go away, but we'd rather not use that
because we have lots of ethernet cable and not so much BNC :-).  I've
tried different cables, and different drivers, but nothing seems to
work.  Any suggestions?  I'd also like to know exactly what that 'frame'
figure indicates.  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: Johann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to set up IPmasquerading
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 11:25:51 +0200

http://members.home.net/ipmasq/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Jagdis)
Subject: Re: diald dying!
Date: 10 Jun 1999 09:23:08 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Christopher A. Gaul wrote:
>My diald daemon keeps dying (disappearing anyway). I'm not sure why.
>Anyone have any idea why? Here is my set-up.
>
>SuSE 6.1
>Kernel 2.2.7 (SuSE) with kernmod update
>ppp version 2.3.5-36
>diald version 0.16-49
>
>I am using my Linux server as a SAMBA domain server for my home network,
>it serves logins, files, printer, NFS and internet access. I use
>masquerading and diald to provide transparent Internet access to the
>network clients. However, I often find the diald daemon often just
>quits. I have no idea why.

Does it not say anything to syslog?

                                Mike

--
    A train stops at a train station, a bus stops at a bus station.
    On my desk I have a work station...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick)
Subject: [newbie Q] how to restart apache
Date: 10 Jun 1999 09:20:59 GMT

I am a system administration begineer,
how can i restart the apache

i cannot find any apachectl program
The programs available in apache bin directory are as follows:

gcache        httpsd        httpsd.noasp  suexec

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: usr sportster 28.8 modem init string for office use HELP
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:09:42 GMT

Terry Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Greetings,

>I have usr sportster 28.8  (is not PNP )

>at home on a POTS line   ATDT123-1234   works fine.

OK. So the modem works.

>when i took it to the office it requirs 9 -123-1234

Ah, you're behind a local PBX . You'll have to change the
modem's init strings to not be looking for a carrier_detect
signal due to the fact that the PBX doesn't provide one.
Add

ATX3

to the initstring sent to the modem, or write it into
the modem's NVRAM using any terminal program.

>ATDT9123-1234  fails with no dial tone

[...]

Right. The modem's default settings are ATX4, which means
"look for a dialtone before dialing anything" .

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: "Chris Ceykovsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: intel.network.hubs_switches_routers,comp.networks
Subject: Re: HUB-Question !
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 16:38:33 -0500

  I would recommend either netgear 8 port or a dlink 8 port hub.  Since you
can only run 10Mbps you can pick these up real nice and cheap.  The Netgear
tech support is 24/7 and are real helpful.  Also they are cooler looking and
are made by Bay.

Check them out for your self,
www.netgear.com

www.dlink.com

Hope this help,

--
Chris Ceykovsky
Network Support
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Steen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't see network card  - no driver?
Date: 9 Jun 1999 21:31:19 GMT

Could you explain how you got RH to recognize the card? (I have the exact
same card).  Thanks in advance.

Gavin Clark wrote:
> update
>
> I got the ne.o module to load and the card is recognized.
>
> now I can't see the network and vise-versa.
>
> eth0 interface is up, it shows up in the routing table, I can ping it
from
> the console, and I even manage to get a virtual host running in apache
BUT I

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3C509B Etherlink III
Date: 9 Jun 1999 21:31:20 GMT

The version that didn't work was a brand new 3Com Etherlink II 3C509B-TPO
The ard has this marking on it ASSY:03-0020-010 Rev. A  The other card that
does work is in the machine but I believe it is a 3C509B-C.  It is an older
card.  Hope that will help.  Let me know if you are looking for a specific
number off of the cards.

Eric

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Richard Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can I deny ordinary user to telnet?
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 17:40:02 +0100

In article <7j38sq$b52$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Flavio Curti
<fcu@NOSPAM{futurecom.ch}> writes
>hi
>Natta wrote:
>>
>> Can I deny ordinary user telnet to server?
>easyiest way to do this would be to change the access rights for the
>telnet binary (remove execute rights for all execpt user{root}). but
>users can download their own binary, and then same problem again...
>
>hope it helps
>
>greetz
                Another way would be to remove the telnet line from
inetd.conf. Without this the system wouldn't respond to a request for
telnet. You might want to do the same with rlogin.
--
Richard Wright

------------------------------

From: Carl Waring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Should the same ppp on/off, chat etc scripts work for ISDN as well as
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 22:56:27 +0100

I have recently invested in an eicon Diva TA ISDN modem which I have
stuck in com1.  com2 is occupied by an old USR job.
After a while I got the USR working just fine with ppp-on and ppp-off
scripts as described in PPP-HOWTO.  com1 is set up to be cua1 linked to
/dev/modem.  I have setup cua0 to relate to com1. (although shouldn't
this other device be linked to somthing)

I figured all I would have to do is copy the relevant scripts (ppp-on
and ppp-off) change the ppp-on dialer so I now have isdn-on, isdn-off
and isdn-ppp-on-dialer.  I have changed the telephone number obviously
to my ISP and changed the device in one of the files (can't remeber
which file) to use /dev/cua0 instead of /dev/modem.

The modem seems to work (a bit) i.e. it connects or it says it does at
38400 it should be 64000 but this is another question but I DO NOT get a
login prompt even after a few returns.  Surely you should get a login
even if ppp is not running on your system?  I can get a login if I
connect via hyperterminal on my Windw**k machine.

When I connect through netcfg the correct lights come on my modem but it
disconnects after a while.  I'm running out of ideas and I need to do
some other work so any ideas would be welcome.

cw

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Dirk Riebesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba and win98 problems
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 19:03:01 +0200

Win95 and NT are transfering plain passwd. Win98 are using a security
protocol. You have to change this in your Win98 Registry (Don't know the
full path)

Greetings
   Dirk Riebesell

------------------------------

From: Admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SAMBA HELP!!
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 18:09:35 -0400

Hi All,

My smb.conf file is corrupted can anyone email the default(or edited)
smb.conf for RH6.0. This is located in /etc. Thanks,

PS. Email it directly to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks again.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Somers)
Subject: Re: PPTP + Samba ? (and NAT)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:28:15 +0100

In article <7jme74$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Tso) writes:
[.....]
 >         FreeBSD: Does FreeBSD natd/IP aliasing handle PPTP or IPsec
 > correctly ? (I understand that Linux IP masq deals with PPTP and IPsec
 > correctly such that Win95 clients sitting behind a Linux gateway/NAT
 > can go out onto the Internet and connect up properly with a remote
 > host using PPTP VPN).

libalias supports a single internal pptp connection.  See
``alias pptp'' in the man page.

--
Brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>                   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sitaram Chamarty)
Subject: Re: dialin routing problem
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:42:23 GMT

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 15:54:05 +0200, Frank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>So is there a way to have the proxy arping and forwarding enabled for the
>ppp0 per default? Where do I configure that?

/etc/ppp/options

man pppd # for details

------------------------------

From: "James Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting up a modem that doesn't work
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 06:42:52 -0400

Has anyone had success with an ACER 56K modem in linux?

------------------------------

From: "Anders Gulden Olstad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [newbie Q] how to restart apache
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:50:44 +0200

Patrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am a system administration begineer,
> how can i restart the apache
> i cannot find any apachectl program
> The programs available in apache bin directory are as follows:
> gcache        httpsd        httpsd.noasp  suexec

Run

# /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S85httpd restart