Linux-Networking Digest #16, Volume #12          Mon, 26 Jul 99 19:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Re: ftp config ("YouDontKnowWho")
  Remote Admin Question ("Scott Collins")
  Re: Linux basics (Monte Phillips)
  Re: Configuration Question, Please Help. (Peter Buelow)
  Network card confusion (Kona Stan)
  How to add a second NIC to a working Linux system??? (Finlayson & Singlehurst)
  squid and news ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Kppp DNS setup (Thuyen Xuan Nguyen)
  Re: linux proxy server (bill davidsen)
  Re: Trouble installing ethernet card ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Unable to telnet/ping to/from Linux box ("Geddes MacIntyre")
  eql_enslave causes error messages ("Bill Steiner")
  Re: Remote Admin Question (Tom Eastep)
  mounting filesystem from another computer
  Re: IP forwarding. (bill davidsen)
  Odd problem with wu-ftpd on RH6 (Brian Daniels)
  Re: once I installed the second NIC the first stoped working (Matt)
  Re: Linux connecting to wingate (Stuart Luscombe)
  Re: Help with ethernet card/cable modem (luke)
  Re: Grrr!  Can I do this with IPmasq? ("Daryl G. Jurbala")
  Re: Multiple ISP configuration (bill davidsen)
  Re: VPN (Rupa Schomaker)
  Re: Debian IP-Masquerading. Where do I put the commands? (Alex Yung)
  Re: very slow ethernet connection IN ONE DIRECTION! ("Romiko")

From: "YouDontKnowWho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: ftp config
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:59:59 GMT

Have you checked the settings in the following files?

/etc/ftpaccess
/etc/hosts.deny
/etc/hosts.allow

Also, check the man pages for ftpaccess.

--
Principle of Minimum Access: "That which is not explicitly permitted
is denied."

ANNOUNCER: And now we return to our regularly scheduled, uncommonly
entertaining thread...

Jason Rotunno wrote in message <7ni23p$4s3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>i've got a question about configuring ftp.  i've recently installed a
>linux box (maybe in march - slackware 3.6) and everything seems to be
>going ok.  one problem that i'm having, though is that i can't upload
>anything via anonymous ftp (permission denied).  i've checked the
>permissions on the directory which seem ok.  i've even set the
permissions
>to 777 on the ftp directory, but still no luck.  i thought that at
one
>time i was able to upload using anonymous ftp, but i might have just
>tested downloading.  maybe anonymous ftp is disabled, but i'm having
>trouble on finding out how to check this.  i didn't find any
information
>in the "running linux" book or the "linux system administrator's
guide" on
>sunsite on how to configure ftp.  i've also installed linuxconf
becuase i
>thought it might help, but i don't see any ftp configuration options.
if

------------------------------

From: "Scott Collins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Remote Admin Question
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:34:25 -0400

I am trying to telnet to my computer and login as root.  I know this is a
big security no-no, but kinda necessary in my case.

Anyways, I read somewhere that I need to edit the list of ttys in
/etc/securetty, but what is the tty if I am telneting from another computer?
Is this all I need to change?

thanks,

scott

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
Subject: Re: Linux basics
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:25:14 GMT

Looks like you have your masking,routing etc all set wrong, Start
over.
This site has a step by step howto for complete setup of samba.  steps
for both linux and the win machine.  (and they really work <G>)
http://www.sfu.ca/~yzhang/linux/samba/index.html
and this one as well
http://home.talkcity.com/MigrationPath/maguai/samba.html

These sites singly or in combination are nearly guaranteed to get you
networked.

------------------------------

From: Peter Buelow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuration Question, Please Help.
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:18:14 -0500

Canseco Fan wrote:

> I have 2 computers in my house that I would like to network. I have a Win
> 98/Mandrake 6.0 dual boot machine with a dial up internet connection (DUN
> for win 98 and PPP for Linux), a Mandrake 5.3 Linux box. I would like to be
> able to network the 3 PC's together and use the Mandrake 5.3 computer as a
> file/print server and the Win 98/Mandrake 6.0 as a my internet surfing and
> general use PC. I know how to set up the file and print server aspect of the
> network but I need to know how I can configure my PC that runs win
> 98/Mandrake 6.0 to connect to the Dial Up connection and connect to y home
> network at the same time. Is it just a matter of installing the Ethernet
> cards and configuring two different network connections or will my PC try to
> access the internet from the Ethernet card instead of my modem? I also need
> to know what ip address is not used for anything but non-internet connected
> PC's. I remember reading about a null ip address but I cant remember which
> one it is. Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  You need more help and direction than I think you can get from a
newsgroup. Try
        www.linux.org
and look for the HOWTO's under support. IP-Masquerading, ethernet, PPP,
etc. These should point you in the right direction.
--
Peter Buelow - Software Engineer
--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kona Stan)
Subject: Network card confusion
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 06:14:47 GMT

My system uses a PCI based NIC 32 bit which can auto config
PNP. When I boot into Linux Mandrake 6.0 it shows the interface
card IRQ and the card HW address.
It continues showing eth0
but then shows a message
"determining IP Information
for eth0        OPERATION FAILED

What IP info is the system looking for?
Do I need to reconfigure my netcfg?
Did I use the wrong IP address?
Whats up? Any one able to figure this out?
I looks like the card gets detected OK.
So the only thing I can think of is my config
is wrong.

Kona Stan
Linux runs here

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:40:46 -0400
From: Finlayson & Singlehurst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to add a second NIC to a working Linux system???

Stupid new user question:

I want to add a second network card to my functioning Linux RedHat 6.0
system, which has a first ethernet card installed and running my cable
modem.  I now want to add a second card to set up an internal LAN.

However, I can't seem to locate any obvious way to do this (ie _ADD_ a
card) in Linux, other than doing a full reinstall.  Even then, I don't
know whether the install will pick up both cards for me.  I am quite
happy to do a full reinstall, but there must be a better way (?)

Therefore, two questions:

1 - will the RedHat 6 installation install both cards for me?

2 - what is the direct way to add another network card?

    Any E-mailed help would be greatly appreciated.

Hugh Campbell
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

E-mail:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: squid and news
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:53:40 GMT

I saw this message before but there was no answer so I will try to
repost it maybe someone will see it this time.
I'm running squid on a linux box which is a gateway to the internet for
a class C network.
Http browsing works ok but if I try to access an external news server
or email server it doesn't work.
What should I do in order to allow this ?
If I don't run squid I can access both news servers and email servers.
I didn't find this problem addressed in the squid documentation.
Is there anyone that can help with this ?
Thanks in advance,

Ovidiu Dressler

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thuyen Xuan Nguyen)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.isp,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Kppp DNS setup
Date: 26 Jul 1999 20:56:26 GMT

I've installed Mandrake's Linux (RedHat 6.0), and trying to setup Kppp
to use dynamic DNS like windows 95 DUN, where your isp server assigns
the dns when you log on.  Is it possible with Linux Kppp?  Please
help.

Regards,
Thuyen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: linux proxy server
Date: 26 Jul 1999 21:15:50 GMT

In article <7n8eb4$a2r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| why can't i find anyone else who is in the same prediciment?

Because we're all in our own prediciment?

| all i want is to set up a proxy server for internet access with
| RH linux 5.2 does anyone else know how to do this or know
| of any place where i find anything about it which is written
| in plain english?

The instructions with squid seem pretty clear to me. I read them after I
did the install to see if I missed anything;-) Or just edit the config
file, compile, install, and be happy.

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
  The Internet is not the fountain of youth, but some days it feels like

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:22:24 -0700
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Trouble installing ethernet card

Dear Vidar,

        Thanks a lot for your detailed advice.  I'm still having problems,
though.  When I use the ifup eth0 command I get the response "delaying
eth0 initialization".  I have no idea what this means, why
initialization is being delayed or how to tell it not to delay it.

Thanks,

Dave

------------------------------

From: "Geddes MacIntyre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Unable to telnet/ping to/from Linux box
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:49:11 -0400

I have a small ethernet-based TCP/IP network, as follows:

    (2) Pentium-based Win98 workstations
    (1) Pentium-based Win95 print server
    (1) Pentium-based Linux box (RH 6.0)

All contain NE2000-compatible RealTek 10Mb ethernet cards, connected
via Cat-5 cable to an 8-port mini-hub.  Each Win9x PC can see (and ping)
the other Win9x PCs, but none can ping or telnet to (or be ping'd from) the
Linux box.

Running ifconfig from command line shows me the MAC address of the NIC
card, so I know that's working.

Static IP addresses:    Linux:           192.19.200.1
                                  Win98 #1:    192.19.200.2
                                  Win98 #2:    192.19.200.3
                                  Win95:         192.19.200.4
            Netmask:                            255.255.255.0
            Default gateway:                  192.19.200.254 (as set by
Linux install)

I have checked all cables, and the hub; all are working properly.

Much thanks in advance for any/all assistance..

GeddesMacIntyre
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    (Please remove SPAMSUCKS from address to reply via e-mail)

------------------------------

From: "Bill Steiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: eql_enslave causes error messages
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:30:13 -0700

Hi:

According to recent newsgroup messages, some of you are having success with
EQL. If you are, would you have a minute to share some information.

I've loaded the eql module and set it up with ifconfig and route. But
eql_enslave produces a bash error everytime I try to run it: cannot execute
binary... I downloaded eql_enslave from the metalab site several times to
make sure file corruption wasn't the problem. The code was compiled for a
much earlier kernel version. Tried to recompile it, but files are missing
from the current distribution (RHL 6.0). Suspect a conflict with the 2.2.5
kernel, but don't know where to go next for a newer version of eql_enslave
if that's what I need.

If your eql_enslave is running, where did you get it and what version is it?
Did you have to do anything to get it running?

Thanks for your help.

Bill

------------------------------

From: Tom Eastep <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Remote Admin Question
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:00:08 +0000

Scott Collins wrote:

> I am trying to telnet to my computer and login as root.  I know this is a
> big security no-no, but kinda necessary in my case.
>
> Anyways, I read somewhere that I need to edit the list of ttys in
> /etc/securetty, but what is the tty if I am telneting from another computer?
> Is this all I need to change?
>
> thanks,
>
> scott

I recommend logging in under another uid then su.

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep
Compaq Computer Corporation

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mounting filesystem from another computer
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:13:04 +0200

Hi all

Can anyone tell me how to mount one machine's filesystem to another's?
Like i have wks1.nowhere.net with /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 and i'd like to
mount hda1 onto wks2.nowhere.net's /mnt directory.  I tried to modify the
/etc/fstab file on wks2, i added the following line:

$IP:/remote/dir /local/dir nfs defaults,ro,auto 0 0

But the remote machine rejected me.  What privileges do i have to set on
each machine?  Do i have to be root on both machines or just on the local?

thanks in advance
Bufi

+---------------------------------+
|    Why not go out on a limb?    |
| Isn't that where the fruit is?? |
+---------------------------------+

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: IP forwarding.
Date: 26 Jul 1999 21:41:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Stephen Schwenker  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| I have RedHat 6.0 with the 2.2 kernel and I have An internal network
| using IP masquerading.  I want to be able to forward certain port from
| the internet to certain servers on the internal network.  I want to know
| what tool I would use and where I would find it and how to use it.

I like rinetd, it allows very fine control of forwarding, by port,
source address, etc.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Daniels)
Subject: Odd problem with wu-ftpd on RH6
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:00:38 GMT

We're using wu-ftpd-2.5.0-2 on RedHat 6.0.  The server is working
fine, but we have noticed the following problem:

After several days of operation, there will be many 'leftover'
in.ftpds.  We allow 100 users at a time and this is resulting in users
being denied access to the site even though there are only 3-4 active
connections.

If you do a ftpshut followed by a killall in.ftpd, then all is fine
for several more days.

Once the problem develops, a ps shows:

# ps ax | grep in.ftpd
27280 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
29153 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
29530 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
30009 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
31063 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
31067 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
31384 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
31899 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
31948 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
32115 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
  324 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
  572 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
  581 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
 1094 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
 1449 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
 1709 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
 2302 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
 2519 ?        SW     0:00 [in.ftpd]
<many more follow>

wu-ftpd is being launched from inetd.conf as follows:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait.255      root    /usr/sbin/tcpd in.ftpd
-l -a -t240 -T240

Any ideas on solving this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: once I installed the second NIC the first stoped working
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:23:28 GMT

The card that now does not work is ISA.  But if I am prety sure they have
different settings.  see below

eth0:
            3c509B  (ISA)
            interrupt: 10
            base address: 0x300
eth1:
            3c900B-TPO (PCI)
            interrupt: 11
            base address: 0xfc00

Should I try to re-install the ISA card?  Thanks

-Matt

From: Stuart Luscombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux connecting to wingate
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:53:47 +0100

I'm trying to do a simlilar thing, only I can't connect my linux box to
the net as it's a laptop and has a built-in winmodem :P
I'm using winproxy and I just can't get cvs or basically ANY programs
to go through the proxy.....only things that work are Netscape and
lynx....

any ideas anyone??

-
Stuart

------------------------------

From: luke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Help with ethernet card/cable modem
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:55:45 GMT

Still nothing, if i try to ping any IP, like my GW, it says that
for eg: 30 packets sent out, 0 receieved, 100% packet loss.
But I have to ^C, otherwise it just doest stop.
Any suggestions?

------------------------------

From: "Daryl G. Jurbala" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Grrr!  Can I do this with IPmasq?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:25:43 -0400

A Windows machine finds the PDC with a broadcast (which will not work in
this case) or via a properly configured WINS server.  I'm not going to get
into that, as you probably don't have access to the WINS server to configure
it.  How to hack aroun dit is make the following file in your Windows
directory called LMHOSTS (no extension):

<ip_address_of_pdc> <NETBIOS_name_of_PDC> #DOM:<domain_name>

It may also help to add a HOSTS file in the same directory, containing
everything up to (but not including) the #.

This is by no means a complete reference on what you can do with LMHOSTS or
WINS, but it should get you running.
Daryl G. Jurbala
The Benchmark Group, Inc.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: Multiple ISP configuration
Date: 26 Jul 1999 21:39:36 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
julien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| I'd like to set up mutliple dialup configuration for linux. The goal
| is to be able to switch easily between several Internet providers (by
| passing a provider name in parameter to ppp-on).

I suggest using the the "call" command and putting an ipparam in the
script, allowing the /etc/ppp/ip-up script to do setup for whatever ISP
you are using. I do this for a fair number without hassle.

| I've succeded in setting up pppd for that but I've got a problem with
| name servers. How can I dynamicly set the right dns for a
| provider.

Run your own. Faster and less hassle.

| Other question, is there a way to switch between different smtp
| servers? (I'm using sendmail 8.xx).

??? Unless you are connecting behind a firewall you don't need an smtp
server, you can deliver mail yourself. Otherwise see what I said on
ip-up.

--

Subject: Re: VPN
From: Rupa Schomaker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:30:21 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dustin Puryear) writes:

> I would like to investigate implementing a VPN so that workers can
> connect to the office system without using a RAS dial-up connection.
> The home machines are all Windows based, but the office machines are
> Linux. Any hints, tips, or leads are very welcome!

Use IPSec.  there are at least 3-4 IPSec clients for windows.  There
is a good IPSec implementation for Linux (2.0.x in v1.0 and 2.2.x
kernels in the current snapshot) called FreeSWAN.  Do a search for it
and you'll get what you need...

--
-rupa

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Yung)
Subject: Re: Debian IP-Masquerading. Where do I put the commands?
Date: 26 Jul 1999 19:43:37 GMT

Brian E. Lavender ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I just configured IP Masquerading on my Debian 2.1 box. The
: thing is that I don't know where to put commands that activate IP
: Masquerading. Here are my IP chains commands.

: echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
: ipchains -P forward DENY
: ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQ

: What file do I put these commands in? Is it somewhere
: in /etc/init.d/something_file

Just put your shell script at your mentioned directory and use
update-rc.d to maintain the symlinks.

From: "Romiko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: very slow ethernet connection IN ONE DIRECTION!
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 23:30:00 +0200

Dudes, I have it the other way, If I telnet into Linux fro NT it take 40
seconds, but the other way  it fast, I am running Novell client 32, IIS 3.0,
SQL 6.5, Proxy 2.0 on the NT server, Dudes I am new to Linux, how can I get
Network Neighbourhood to see the Linux server (RedHat 6.0.) shot alot dudes.