Linux-Networking Digest #431, Volume #12         Tue, 31 Aug 99 21:13:46 EDT

Contents:
  Re: VMware - wow! (Spike!)
  Re: Network Address Translation (bill davidsen)
  SS7 ?? ("Destroyer")
  Linux as router. (R. Christopher Harshman)
  Re: '/sbin/ifdown ppp0' Not Working: Mandrake 6.0 (jsrockford)
  Re: Samba - newbie ("Tobias Knowles")
  Can't access telnet or ftp server from win98 box  (john)
  Re: HOW DO I TRY THIS ROUTER OUT? DATACO ISO 8473 router...no docs..see pics in
message... (0/1) ("Tobias Knowles")
  Re: samba setup problem ("Tobias Knowles")
  Re: Distributions (Bob Martin)
  Re: Route Table questions... ("Tobias Knowles")
  Re: Distributions (Bob Martin)
  IPX Router (Dan)
  suse-bootdisk ("Stephan M. Ott // OKDesign oHG")
  Re: how do i connect 2 networks? (Jerry Craker)
  Re: PPP auto-dial on Netscape startup? (Paul Carver)
  wrong network interface used for routing (BM Lam)
  anon-ftp (Speedy Fast)
  Re: eth0: tulip.o: init_module: device or resource busy ("kamie")

From: Spike! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: VMware - wow!
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 22:07:27 +0100

And verily, didst Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
>>I think the inter-process communication between these forks is done rather
>>cleverly with the QL network emulation... This means all the virtual QLs can
>>talk to each other using the standard SuperBASIC interpreter...
>>
>>(could be wrong though)
>>
>>Just thought I'd mention it because it seems to be a similar thing to what
>>you were talking about.

> While I was generally aware of the existance of a QL emulator, I was
> not familiar with that; it sure sounds a lot like what I was
> describing.

> The killer question, of course, is whether or not people are writing
> code for Virtual QL instances running atop Linux...  :-)

Well... The QL is still being supported by a dedicated band of followers...
Some even commercial, and anything that could make use of the network could
be made to work on multiple instances of the emulator...

| [EMAIL PROTECTED] | "THIS IS THE VOICE OF THE MYSTERONS......"     |
|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   | "I'm afraid no-one's in at the moment, but if  |
|             in            |  you leave your rank and colour, we'll destroy |
|      Computer Science     |  you as soon as we get back..."- The Preventers|
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: Network Address Translation
Date: 31 Aug 1999 21:35:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Zuheir Bahalul  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| I am trying to define my Linux machine to be a Network Address
| Translator, instead of masquerading, as i want to computers behind the
| gateway to be accessable to the world (through that "gateway"), but i
| didn't find any application, or way to do that.
|
| (i want all addresses coming from my inner net- 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0
| to be translated outside the gateway to 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0, as
| the machines on the outer net does not recognize my gateway machine as
| their gateway...)

  I have this horrible feeling you don't understand how this works...

  If you have many additional IP addresses, you use them as is, not
assign non-routable addresses to the machine and then try to NAT them to
the legitimate IP addresses when they reach the net. Unless you're into
doing thing the hard way as a learning experience.

  If you don't have legitimate IP addresses, doing NAT to use some which
belong to someone else will (a) not work because the ISP will block
them, and (b) will probably trigger all sorts of spoofing alarms
resulting in loss of service.

  Your ISP should be routing all valid IP addresses to your firewall
machine, and if that's not happening then the problem can only be solved
by your ISP. If you don't have multiple IP addresses, then NAT won't
help, you must use masquerade.

  And 192.168... addresses will not be routed one bit better then 10...
in general.

  Forgive me if you know what you're talking about and just masqueraded
as someone fumbling in the dark;-)

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
"So let it be written, so let it be dumb." Pharaoh Dufus the last...

------------------------------

From: "Destroyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SS7 ??
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 23:55:59 +1000

Hi,

Does anyone know if a SS7 protocol stack exists for linux ? If it does,
where will I be able to find it ?

Cheers.

------------------------------

From: R. Christopher Harshman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux as router.
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:37:56 GMT

I've got a box with two NICs in it that I'm trying to set up as a
router.  One NIC is assigned 192.168.0.150, and is connected to
the downstairs LAN.  The other is assigned 192.168.3.1 and should
be the gateway for the 3rd floor.  I'm running a basically stock
Debian 2.1 (Kernel 2.0.36, recompiled).  The box is called 'jump-gate'

The third floor boxen can access jump-gate (ssh and http), and
jump-gate can get to the Internet (192.168.0.1 is hooked into a
DSL feed downstairs, and is running IP Masq'ing).  But the third
floor boxen cannot get to the Internet through jump-gate.  (I've set
up Apache w/ Proxy on jump-gate as a temporary stopgap.)

The relevant information is as follows:

jump-point:~# ifconfig -a
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Bcast:127.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3584  Metric:1
          Collisions:0

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:40:95:00:27:3D
          inet addr:192.168.3.1  Bcast:192.168.3.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          Collisions:0
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x6500

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:40:95:00:27:35
          inet addr:192.168.0.150  Bcast:192.168.0.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          Collisions:1
          Interrupt:15 Base address:0x6600

jump-point:~# netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
192.168.3.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U      1500 0          0
eth0
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U      1500 0          0
eth1
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U      3584 0          0
lo
0.0.0.0         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG     1500 0          0
eth1
jump-point:~# cat /proc/ksyms | grep "ip_forward"
0014186c ip_forward
001eb02c sysctl_ip_forward

Any thoughts?  Many thanks in advance!

- Chris

--
R. Christopher Harshman             http://ebhon.jnst.uor.edu/~harshman
Going for a B.S. : "Information Systems and Media Production" (JNST-UOR)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: jsrockford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: '/sbin/ifdown ppp0' Not Working: Mandrake 6.0
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 23:17:53 GMT

Found the answer...ppp is broken in Mandrake 6.0; needed to download the
update.

From: "Tobias Knowles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba - newbie
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:47:59 -0700

Why the need for NetBEUI?

Tobias Knowles

------------------------------

From: john <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't access telnet or ftp server from win98 box
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 20:28:46 GMT

Hello,

I've just set up a brand new TCP/IP private network.  As of now it only
consists of one Linux box running RH5.2 and one Windows machine
(Win98).  After some trial and tribulation (especially wi the win98
box)  I've managed to be able to ping either host from the other, and
download web pages from the win98 box off of the httpd running on the
Linux machine.  I want to be able to telnet and ftp to the Linux from
the win box but trying to do so results in the following error messages:

    Telnet on the win98 box says:  "Connection to host lost"

    Ftp on the win98 box says:  "Connected to bla.bla.bla" <about 5
seconds pass> "Connection closed by remote host."

Telneting and ftping the Linux box from the Linux box is not a problem.
Could this be related to /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny?  I have
them set to ALL:LOCAL and ALL:ALL respectively.

Thanks to anyone that might be able to "throw me a bone."

John

------------------------------

From: "Tobias Knowles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HOW DO I TRY THIS ROUTER OUT? DATACO ISO 8473 router...no docs..see pics
in message... (0/1)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:27:42 -0700

1488 is generally a quad line transmitter.
1489 being the receiver.
Both are for RS-232 specs.
I'd hook a terminal to a port and try it out!

------------------------------

From: "Tobias Knowles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: samba setup problem
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:50:35 -0700

Kind of hard to tell without your smb.conf but the -N is for NULL
password...
Then again I  would'nt know how you have things set up.

Tobias Knowles

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Distributions
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 23:36:45 +0000

root wrote:

> I've been using RedHat for about 3 months now, and I really like the
> whole linux thing.  What I'm looking for though, is maybe a distrabution
> that's not quite so easy to set up.  I'd really like to get my hands
> dirty, buckle down, and see what kind of problems I can encounter by
> using a distribution that's not quite so user friendly.
> Any sugestions?
> Thaks,
> David

The real way to do it is forget the distros. Before there were
distributions you got the basic boot/root disk which linus posted, then
setup your drives. then obtain whatever you wanted from avaialble
sources and tried to compile them. basically rolled your own system

------------------------------

From: "Tobias Knowles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Route Table questions...
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:46:23 -0700

You dont mean IPX I hope.

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 23:37:32 +0000

root wrote:

> I've been using RedHat for about 3 months now, and I really like the
> whole linux thing.  What I'm looking for though, is maybe a distrabution
> that's not quite so easy to set up.  I'd really like to get my hands
> dirty, buckle down, and see what kind of problems I can encounter by
> using a distribution that's not quite so user friendly.
> Any sugestions?
> Thaks,
> David

The real way to do it is forget the distros. Before there were
distributions you got the basic boot/root disk which linus posted, then
setup your drives. then obtain whatever you wanted from avaialble
sources and tried to compile them. basically rolled your own system.
Slackware is probably closest to that flavor, but still to easy.

------------------------------

From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.networking.general,redhat.general
Subject: IPX Router
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 00:31:07 GMT

I have a computer that needs to act as an IPX router. It has the folowing
interfaces

TR0
ETH0
ETH1

I have the folowing in my
ipx1:3:once:ipx_interface add -p tr0 802.2 a0200
ipx2:3:once:ipx_interface add eth0 802.2 4326634
1px3:3:once:ipx_interface add eth1 802.2 4343675
ipx4:3:once:/usr/sbin/ipxd -d

eth0 and eth1 are routing ipx to eacher other.

In the windows networking they can see on NT server on the network but can
not comunicate with it.

The novell guy at work told me the out ipx node for the tokenring is a0400.
I have no clue...
Thanks for your help.

Dan
PS. All interface so pass tcp/ip and do work....

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Stephan M. Ott // OKDesign oHG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: suse-bootdisk
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 01:23:58 +0200

Hi folks.
sorry if being off-topic, but can anyone tell me how to re-create an
original bootdisk for suse-linux ?
not taking care i destroyed the original bootdisk. I know there is a way to
create a new one but canīt remember how to do it.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
tia
-- stephan

------------------------------

From: Jerry Craker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how do i connect 2 networks?
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:41:04 -0400

There are a couple of questions.  Are these simply 2 machines that need to talk
to each other? If that is the case, simply put a 2nd nic in each.  Or ar these
2 networks that need to talk to each other.?  Actually, that is the same
answer, but you need to enable routing on the machines and set the routes on
the rest of the machines in the network to route through the correct machine.

-- Jerry --

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Carver)
Subject: Re: PPP auto-dial on Netscape startup?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 03:57:25 GMT

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:11:18 +0200, Markus Holzfeind
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it in the
>> > HOWTO.  I am wondering how to configure my system to automatically dial
>> > PPP when TCP/IP request is made to a network outside my home.  I have a
>>
>> You would be looking for whats on this page http://diald.unix.ch/
>
>or - an easier way - enable the demand option of pppd
>(man pppd)

I set up ppp using netcfg. Do you know where pppd is actually called
from when it's configured from netcfg?

------------------------------

From: BM Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc
Subject: wrong network interface used for routing
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 00:03:42 +0200

I just set up Red Hat Linux 5.2 on a PC.
The machine has a modem and PPP connection has been configured.
The machine is hooked up to a ethernet LAN

Below is some output from the system:

# netstat -rn
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
193.158.131.205 0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH     1524 0          0
ppp0
223.255.255.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U      1500 0          0
eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U      3584 0          0
lo
0.0.0.0         193.158.131.205 0.0.0.0         UG     1524 0          0
ppp0

# traceroute 194.25.2.225
traceroute: Warning: Multiple interfaces found; using 223.255.255.253 @
eth0

As you see, the trouble is when I want to go the the internet via the
ppp interface, the system somehow decides to use eth0, which goes to the
private LAN.

Can some one help me out there?

If eth0 is disabled, then accessing the internet is no problem. But this
is not an acceptable fix.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Speedy Fast)
Subject: anon-ftp
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 00:08:38 GMT

I am having problems giving upload access to anonymous FTP.  I checked
all my permissions on my directory.  In fact I got so frustrated i
just opened up the whole ftp directory with the intent in changing
everything back.

But I having problems giving upload access to my anonymous ftp users.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the RPM with no luck.  I have read the
man pages but with no luck.

What am i missing?

From: "kamie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: eth0: tulip.o: init_module: device or resource busy
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1999 00:12:27 GMT

What type of network card are you trying to use the tulip driver with?  You
might need to get the latest tulip.c and recompile the driver.  I had the
same error until i downloaded the latest source from
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux

good luck
--kamie