From: "kozmos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: question about ports
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 13:05:30 +0200

Pozdrav.

You should do that with ipchains (if kernel 2.2.x) or ipfwadm (kernel
2.0.x) Look for IPCHAINS HOWTO.

Za domovino,

Roman

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "kozmos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: diald - Windows machines can't successfully FTP
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 14:49:08 +0200

Pozdrav.

You probably use ipchains to access internet. Read the IPCHAINS how-to,
there is the solution for your problem. As i remember, the problem is if u
use active ftp client, but i'm not sure...

Za domovino,

Roman

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Matt Gullam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Does AOL support Linux connection?
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 14:26:26 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  While we're on this topic, can someone tell me which of the main
> ISPs like aol DO support Linux connections. I have my own Net address
> so don't need them, but Mum has declared an intention to get active
> on the Net (well, emails anyway) and I'd surely hate to see her have to use
> Windoze.
>
>  Thanks for all information.
>
>             Charles Read.

AOL are at this very moment considering porting the AOL software to
linux, however nothing has been said officially.

--
Matt Gullam

Kill the earwigs to reply.

"The intelligence of the planet is constant,
and the population is growing"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Knott)
Subject: Re: Crossover RJ45 ethernet cables - Re: Cable problem?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 20:15:00 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.) wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Knott) writes:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.) wrote:
>>> Pair 1 (centered in both) is what's always used for voice.  Ethernet
>>> does not use this pair because you don't want to blow out equipment
>>> if someone should accidentally patch an Ethernet port to a voice
>>> port.  You may not care, but manufacturers really don't like
>>> replacing blown parts, and customers don't like being denied
>>> warrantee service.
>>>
>>> Note that pairs 2 and 3 are oppositely numbered in the two standards.
>>>
>>> If you've got a T568A patch panel and you need to patch something
>>> over to a T568B panel, you need a crossover cable that swaps pairs 2
>>> and 3.
>>>
>>> The decision to use 2 and 3 for Ethernet makes perfect sense in this
>>> context, because you don't need to design new crossover cables.  The
>>> same cables you use for linking different-standard patch panels can
>>> be used to link Ethernet cards and hubs.
>>>
>>> In other words, using this standard means there are only two kinds of
>>> cables - straight and crossover.  Instead of three - straight,
>>> crossover-for-Ethernet and crossover-for-panels.  Being able to keep
>>> only two kinds of patch-cords on hand instead of three is a big win
>>> for any department that has to maintain the wiring.  It's a similarly
>>> big win for the cable manufacturers, who only need two versions of
>>> every cable in their catalog instead of three.
>>
>> The same cable can also be used for token ring, which uses pairs on
>> pins 4/5 & 3/6.
>
>How is that possible?
>
>How can a cable crossing pairs 2 and 3 work for a network where signals
>are sent on pairs 1 and 2 (or pairs 1 and 3, depending on your
>patch-panel configuration)?
>
>Either way, it's a moot point for token ring.  AFAIK, token ring can not
>work without it's MAU (TR functional equivalent of an ethernet hub).
>I've never heard of anybody using crossover cable to directly connect TR
>hosts to each other.

I was referring to straight through cables.  A 4 pair cable wired
according to the specs given also supports token ring.  Take a look at
modern TR cards and media filters.  You'll find an RJ45 connector, the
same as on ethernet systems.

--
E-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The above opinions are my own and not those of ISM Corp., a subsidiary of

------------------------------

From: "Gary W. Sandvik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help a newbie understand....?
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 08:25:32 -0500

Hi,

If you want to have shares between Linux and Win then use SAMBA. The
smb.conf-sample file in /etc/smb.conf-sample will show you basic install
configuration method. Basic problems I've seen is the lack of smbpasswd file
for the Linux users. And simply not generating users for the Linux system to
allow access from the Win based system. Once you have your Samba talking
with the Win systems it is straight forward.

As previous responders stated, read the HOWTO for a particular application.
A good on-line site is;
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/

which is the HOWTO index. Also the HOWTOs are on your system if you elected
to install them.
Do not forget the man <command>, this can help a newbie. I know the Linux
documents take a big hit from most users as being hard to understand or
read, But they are documents that  have the information. Even if you need
someone to decode it or decipher this information.

Another good place for information or guides is to look into the O'Rielly &
Assoc. books. I've got several titles and have found them to be valuable.
Hope this helps!
--
Regards and God Speed,

Gary

Gary W. Sandvik

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
309-676-0224 (fax)

Jan Geertsma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:xq7A3.2897$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> code <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:yB3A3.1928$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Hello i just have some questions about linux networking. What i have
> > currently is a Windows NT server with 5 windows computers on a LAN. On
NT

------------------------------

From: "Gary W. Sandvik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuring linuxconf
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 08:45:04 -0500

Hi,

You haven't provided enough information concerning your configuration. If
you are dial up then the demand dial method would be the way to go. When you
use the configuration scripts for your distribution you will have a ppp
script file that you generate. There should be some examples for your
distro. Or you could goto to Deja for past PPP demand dial examples.

--
Regards and God Speed,

Gary

Gary W. Sandvik

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
309-676-0224 (fax)

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Gary W. Sandvik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba: Login prob with W95 login
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 09:07:36 -0500

Hi,

My first question about your configuration on the SAMBA server is? Did you
generate a smbpasswd file with a valid user entry. Next is the Win/95 client
a valid user on the SAMBA sever?
Have you setup the smb.conf to reflect the passwd style, encrypt or plain
text?
--
Regards and God Speed,

Gary

Gary W. Sandvik

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
309-676-0224 (fax)

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Tandem Emulation
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 14:03:57 GMT

Does anyone know of a linux term emulator that does Tandem emulation?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "salmon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: firewall question
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 00:12:51 +1000

I am trying to get a firewall running under SuSE Linux on Intel platform.
Both 'firewall' and 'ipchains' packages have been loaded but the firewall
won't start.  Error message "Kernel lacks ipchains or forwarding support"
appears. ipchains is working (I can define chains and add rules, etc), but
what is forwarding ?  Is forwarding another package I have to load ?  I
can't find it in the package manager so I presume it's not a package.

Any help appreciated.

------------------------------

From: "William R. Mattil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ping Problem??
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 09:11:55 -0500

tinman555 wrote:

> if your mask is 255.255.255.0 and your IP is 192.168.1.xxx
> then you should only be ping 192.168.1.xxx
>
> and the same thing is for 192.168.2.xxx
>
> so if you REALLY need to have more than 255 IP's
> you can change your netmask to 255.255.0.0
>
> Theres an even slicker way, if you only want 1.xxx and 2.xxx
> by using some number other than 255 in your netmask, but
> i've never bothered to figure out.  Anyone know the rules for netmask by
> heart?

Rules are as follows:

255.255.255.0 provides a single address space of 256 (actually only 254 hosts
since X.Y.Z.0 = network and X.Y.Z.255 = broadcast)

255.255.255.128 provides two networks of 126 hosts each
    network1 has a network address of X.Y.Z.0 and a broadcast address of
X.Y.Z.127 and 0 < hosts < 127
    network2 has a network address of X.Y.Z.128 and a broadcast address od
X.Y.Z.255 and 128 < hosts < 255

255.255.255.192 provides four networks of 62 hosts each
    network1  network = X.Y.Z.0 broadcast = X.Y.Z.64 ; 0 < hosts < 63
    network2 network = X.Y.Z.65 broadcast = X.Y.Z.127 ; 64 < hosts < 127
    network3 network = X.Y.Z.128 broadcast = X.Y.Z.190; 128 < hosts < 191
    network4 network = X.Y.Z.192 broadcast = X.Y.Z.255; 192 < hosts < 255

etc etc

so from memory :^)

..0 = 1x256
..128 = 2x128
..192 = 4x64
..224 = 8x32
..240 = 16x16
..248 = 32x8
..252 = 64x4
..254 = 128x2

So then if you had a limited address space and needed to connect two remote
offices together via a WAN link lets say 64Kb/s or 1.544 Mb/s and had a
router at either end you could configure them as follows:

router1 (WAN Port) network addressX.Y.Z.0 netmask 255.255.255.252 broadcast
address X.Y.Z.4 host address X.Y.Z.1
router2 (WAN Port) network address X.Y.Z.0 netmask 255.255.255.252 broadcast
address X.Y.Z.4 host address X.Y.Z.2

Then other routers *could* be

router3 (WAN Port) network address X.Y.Z.5 netmask 255.255.255.252 broadcast
address X.Y.Z.8 host address X.Y.Z.6
router4 (WAN Port) network address X.Y.Z.5 netmask 255.255.255.252 broadcast
address X.Y.Z.8 host address X.Y.Z.7

This would make efficient use of your address space as opposed to using and
entire block of class c address for a WAN link.

Regards
Bill

--
William R. Mattil       | Fred Astaire wasn't so great.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  | Ginger had to do it all backwards

------------------------------

From: "John G. Sandell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: Bizarre IP Address Behavior?
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 10:24:13 -0400

"W.A. Scheer" wrote:

> This may be obvious to someone - but it sure has me stumped.
>
> I just installed Caldera 2.2 and enabled SAMBA. Shortly therafter, I noted
> that I had an IP Address with another hots on my network ... so no problem,
> right? I opened up COAS and changed my IP address. For some reason SAMBA
> will only accept requests to the OLD address, which certainly weirds out my
> network! Is this common? What can I do to fix?
>
> TIA,
> W.A. Scheer

Is your old IP address hard-coded into /etc/smb.conf?

John Sandell

------------------------------

From: "Kwsths" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux dual homed host as firewall
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 16:02:08 +0100

Hi all.
I'm in the process of setting up a firewall to protect my web server from a
possible attack from the Internet.
My ISP will be supplying me with an RJ-45 connection and a class C network,
so I'm trying to figure out how to use them.

I've got the following hardware:
2 PC's
3 NICs
1 Hub

Two of the NICs are in the PC that I'm planning to use as my firewall. One
of them will be the gateway interface to the Internet and will connect
directly to my ISP's hardware while the other I'm planning to connect to the
hub that my web server(s) will also be connecting to.

I would ideally like a set-up where (each of) the server(s) inside my
firewall has its own real IP address from the class C network I will be
allocated, as I would prefer to avoid masquerading/proxying.

Now here's what I'm planning to do:
Configure one of the interfaces on my firewall with the first address from
my C block and connect it to my ISP.
Configure the second interface on my firewall with the second IP address
from my C block and connect it to my hub.
Configure the interface of my web server with the third IP address from my C
block and connect it to my hub.

This would leave me with another 250 odd address to use as I turn my bedroom
based company into a multinational :-)
        ______________
        |  ISP's hardware |--------> | The rest of the Internet....
        --------------------
                           \ RJ - 45 Connection
                            \
                        -------------------------
                        |  eth0 192.192.192.1 |
                        -------------------------
                        |      FIREWALL        |
                        -------------------------
                        | eth1 192.192.192.2  |
                        -------------------------
                                        /
                                      /
         -----------------------------------
         |                 RJ-45 Hub             |
         -----------------------------------
          /                                         \
        /                                            \
   -------------------          -------------------
   |           eth0        |          |          eth0         |
   | 192.192.192.3 |           | 192.192.192.x |
   -------------------          -------------------
   | WEB SERVER|          |  WHATEVER  |
   -------------------          -------------------

(Apologies to whoever owns 192.192.192)

I will then setup the required security rules on the firewall (using
ipchains) and will be ready to rock & roll....

Does this sound like a viable set-up or do the firewall's interfaces need to
be on different subnets for the whole thing to work? If so, how do I set
this up?

I would appreciate feedback from anyone that has setup something similar or
has a rough idea how to do it...or burned their fingers trying to...  :-)

Thanks in advance for your reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ADSL in Linux....--;
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 14:47:40 GMT

HI!I'm korean boy.
I use ADSL in Korea.
First,My internet connection,Current Windowns98.
And My ADSL modem made by Alcatel.
My ADSL Connection via RAS Client.
RAS Cleint program is made by Alcatel Company.
Recently,I hope ADSL Connection via linux box.
Here is My ADSL via RAS Connection Log FIle.
=======L0g===========
RAS Session Manager 1.20.18 log file: Sun Sep 05
09:46:19 1999

Operating System: Windows 95 version 4.10.1998
(4.10) :

Using Winsock v. 2.0
        Highest version: 2.2
ver2.2, 32bit of Apr 28 1998, at 19:33:24.
        SystemStatus: On Win95.

RAS Client Settings:
        AddCallChallenge timeout: 10 s
        AddCallIndication timeout: 60 s
        Always Ask user Id: TRUE
        Autostart Web: FALSE
        Dana UDP port: 5555
        Default Shortcut Icon: shell32.dll(#10)
        FixPopupsOnTop: FALSE
        IpSwitchCnf Timeout: 120 s
        Logo Left offset: 0
        Logo Top offset: 0
        Max Logfile size: 4294967295 byte
        Max Number Retransmits: 5
        Max Unacked Keepalive messages: 3
        Password encoding in file: TRUE
        Renewal Poll Time: 0 s
        Retransmission timeout: 1 s
        UDP Source Port: 5555
        Timeout for OpenConfirm: 120 s
        Use Telco Addresses: FALSE
        Forced Renewal Time: None
        Dhcp renew timeout: 300 seconds
        Dhcp release timeout: 2 seconds
        Progress range: 60 seconds
        Fail after progress range reached: TRUE
        Start web delay: 3 seconds
        Supported Authorisation Methods: 0xc2
0x23 0x5 0xc0 0x23
        Supported languages: enuk
        Supported charsets: 0x300

Installed Interfaces:
        1 Intel(R) PRO PCI Adapter 1
        MacAddress: 00:90:27:44:14:B6

        2 3Com 3C90x Ethernet Adapter 2
        MacAddress: 00:10:5A:7C:4D:F4

Sun Sep 05 09:46:19 1999
        User wants to connect to server via
DHCP.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:19 1999
        State changed to Requesting.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:19 1999
        Starting requesting DHCP lease.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        Received IP address: 10.10.0.160 from
10.10.0.1.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        Starting to open session using
10.10.0.160.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        State changed to Connecting.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        Session is Opening: Sending Open
Session Requests.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        ACK on OpenSessionReq received: waiting
for OpenSessionCnf from server.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        OpenSessionCnf received from server:
session is open.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        State changed to SendingCall.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        Sending AddCall message.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        State changed to AddingCall.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        Waiting for AddCallIndication.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        ACK on AddCall received.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        Call has not been established: No text
received.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        State changed to Connected.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        IpSwitch received.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        State changed to IpSwitchCnf.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        IpSwitch message received from server:
not asking user for confirmation.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        State changed to IpSwitchClosing.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:20 1999
        Sending IPSwitchConfirm message.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:21 1999
        ACK on CloseSession received.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:21 1999
        State changed to IpSwitchReleasing.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:21 1999
        Starting to release dhcp lease after ip
switch.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:21 1999
        State changed to Requesting.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:21 1999
        Starting requesting DHCP lease.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:21 1999
        Received IP address: 210.205.48.130
from 210.205.48.1.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:21 1999
        Starting to open session using
210.205.48.130.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:21 1999
        State changed to Connecting.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:21 1999
        Session is Reopening: Sending Continue
Session Requests.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:21 1999
        ACK on OpenSessionReq received: waiting
for OpenSessionCnf from server.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:21 1999
        ContinueSessionCnf received from
server: session is open.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:21 1999
        State changed to Connected.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:21 1999
        Call has not been established: No text
received.
Sun Sep 05 09:46:21 1999
        Call has been successfully established
to hanaro.com: Call established
Sun Sep 05 09:58:14 1999
        User wants to disconnect: Asking for
confirmation.
Sun Sep 05 09:58:15 1999
        User confirmed closing session.
Sun Sep 05 09:58:15 1999
        User wants to disconnect.
Sun Sep 05 09:58:15 1999
        State changed to Disconnecting.
Sun Sep 05 09:58:15 1999
        Starting closing of session: sending
CloseSession messages to server.
Sun Sep 05 09:58:15 1999
        ACK on CloseSession received.
Sun Sep 05 09:58:15 1999
        State changed to Releasing.
Sun Sep 05 09:58:15 1999
        Starting releasing of dhcp lease.
Sun Sep 05 09:58:15 1999
        State changed to Disconnected.
Sun Sep 05 09:58:16 1999
        Session is closed.
===============End============================
How to Internet Connection Via Linux???
I thought,require PPTP Protocol and PAP Protocol.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Zlatko Rek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Linux & Stollman ISDN adapter
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 17:38:39 +0200

Hi,

I have external ISDN adapter (Stollman TA+PP2) connected to /dev/ttyS0
on my desktop PC. The problem is following: after receiving a few KB
from Internet (ftp,http,news) the transfer is stalled. Upload to the
Internet (ftp) works flawlessly (7.5KByts/s).

I've checked COM ports with diagnostic software and serial test plug
and no errors were found. The same adapter works without any problems
when it is connected to the notebook. The versions of kernel, pppd,
serial driver and pppd options are the same on PC and notebook.

Additional info:
================

              Debian 2.0 (hamm) on notebook

kernel: 2.0.34

PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)

pppd: version 2.3 patch level 5

Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
  tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq 4) is a 16550A

/usr/sbin/pppd connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chatscript" \
               /dev/ttyS0 115200 crtscts defaultroute noipdefault \
               name XXX remotename YYY debug

/etc/ppp/options: empty

ppp0  Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
      inet addr:194.249.158.138  P-t-P:193.2.4.238  Mask:255.255.255.0
      UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
      Collisions:0
      Memory:1bc9038-1bc9c04

Where these errors for RX packets came from?

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards.
                Zlatko

------------------------------

From: "Tao Ye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A weird problem when setting up the linux machine as a router
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 11:11:48 -0400

Hi,
I am trying to set up a linux-based network. When I connected two normal
computers together, everything is O.K. Then I added a router (also a linux
computer) into the network. For testing, I disabled one of the interface
card and the IP forwarding function on this router. I tried to ping the
other machines from this router. It did get the echo back, however, the
delay is
terribly long, around 50,000 ms. Then I tried to ping the router from the
other machines, it seemed that the router never responded. I used tcpdump
to listen on the interface of the router and found nothing there. The more
weird thing is that, during ping from other machines to the router, I also
pinged  from the router to the other machines at the same time, then both
machines can get response, however, again, the delay is too long to bear.
I have carefully checked the ip addresses, netmasks and broadcast addresses
on each machine, there is nothing wrong. The problem of the hub and the
wires are also excluded. When I used ifconfig to examine the interface on
the router, I found there were some error and overun packets. I used
tcpdump to watch the ping process and found that when I pinged the router,
arp requests seemed to be buffered somewhere and never showed up in tcpdump,
only when I pinged the other machines from the router in the meantime,
these requests just poped out from the buffer. I also tried another few
other router machines, they got the same problem. Therefore, it seems not
the hardware problem. Could anybody help me out? Thanks a lot!
By the way, all the machines are bought from a linux computer store,
preinstalled with REDHAT 6.0, all the routers have two ethernet cards, and
a little bit better configuration than the other machines.

Tao

------------------------------

From: Bernd Eckenfels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ipchains rule for IRC?
Date: 5 Sep 1999 15:06:21 GMT

Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>-A forward -s 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 -d 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 -j ACCEPT

> This is redundant as both the source and destination are on the same
> subnet and therefore don't require routing.  If your box is actually
> forwarding these packets then you are simply echoing what has already been
> sent and therefore doubling your network traffic for no reason.

Well, it can be needed if your firewall is your default gateway on the net
and you dont want to use dynamic routing. You just enter all subnets of your
company on the edge system, and it will redirect the traffic just well...
the first (not redirected) packet can then be eighter discarded or
forwarded...

Greetings
Bernd