Linux-Networking Digest #491, Volume #12          Mon, 6 Sep 99 22:13:31 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Inetd error with Qpopper (Andrew Starr)
  Re: slow telnet (Tom Eastep)
  slow telnet (John Santangelo)
  Re: Help with Win95 and Samba (John Santangelo)
  Re: connecting to 'net via linux (Nick Drage)
  cisco routing tutorial (Josh Gentry)
  Re: Linux friendly ISPs (pexquisite)
  Samba and Sharing a connection between linux and windows 98 (pexquisite)
  Re: Apache Setup (David Efflandt)
  Re: pppd and earthlink :-( ("Gene Heskett")
  Re: Win98 -> Linux -> Internet (Chad Eddings)
  Re: NFS server not allowing submounts (L J Bayuk)
  Re: Win98 -> Linux -> Internet (Chad Eddings)
  Re: Configureing Telnet (David Efflandt)
  Re: Help with modem access network (David Efflandt)
  Re: Can't login as FTP (I've red the faqs) (John Doe)
  Re: Configuring a 3com USrobotics 56k PCI ("Ron Z")
  Re: Maintaining 2 Networks (Michael Starkie)
  PLEASE HELP ME ftp server problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  volatile loopback interface (Aaron)

From: Andrew Starr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.sendmail,comp.mail.misc
Subject: Re: Inetd error with Qpopper
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 17:20:29 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Daniels
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been running this mail server for about 3 weeks now but just last
> week the pop server had been stopping randomly making it so people are
> unable to check their mail.
> since then I have been able to track down the error, the syslog reported
> this error:
>
> Sep  7 02:44:29 mail inetd[116]: pop-3/tcp server failing (looping),
> service terminated
>
> What would cause this error and how would I fix it.
>
> Server details: OS=Linux(Debian 2.1) pop server=Qpopper MTA=Sendmail
> 8.9.3

you might try the qpopper mailing list -- see my site for link.

--
Andrew Starr is eMailman(sm): http://www.emailman.com
             NewsReaders.com: http://www.newsreaders.com

    [unofficial] Eudora site: http://www.emailman.com/eudora

------------------------------

From: Tom Eastep <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: slow telnet
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:03:13 +0000

John Santangelo wrote:

> I am running RH Linux 6.0.  When I try to telnet into my Linux box from
> another PC it takes about 30-45 seconds before I get my login prompt.
> Any suggestions on how to speed this up would be greatly appreciated.
>
> John

Define the other PC in /etc/hosts on your Linux box..

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        \    are my own and not

------------------------------

From: John Santangelo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with Win95 and Samba
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 19:50:10 -0400

fishmaster wrote:

> Just another cry for help.
>
> I have two computers. PC1 runs Win95 (950.C) & PC2 runs Red Hat 6.0. I am
> trying to setup small local network with Linux being a file /printer server.
>
> Up to now I was able to ping SAMBA server from Win95 client
> ping 192.168.20.2, however when I tried to ping using servers name
> ping wild.fredy.com stupid Win95  is trying to dial out to internet provider
> (PC1 has a modem and a network card)!
>
> Pinging from Linux is ok both with domain name and IP address!
> nmblookup -B ACLIENT '*' finds Win95 client
> 192.168.20.9 *<00>
>
> I am also able to login into Samba server on Linux PC
>
> I have modified lmhosts.sam file in c:\windows to reflect the server name
> (192.168.20.2       wild.fredy.com   #PRE)
>
> I have also set all the networking parameters in the Network setup windows
> in Win 95: IP address 192.168.20.9, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, WINS
> 192.168.20.2 and etc
>
> smbclient -L wild.fredy.com on Linux PC returns
> Share       Type    Comment
> --------         -------    -------------
> tmp            Disk      temp files
> Profiles     Disk
> etc
>
> SERVER            Comment
> -------------             -------------
> WILD                   Samba Server
>
> Workgroup          Master
> ---------------          ----------
> Mygroup

> ------------
> My problem is some what multi level.
> 1. How do I get Win95 to ping properly?
>
> 2. Net View reports error 53 (computer not found) How do I get Network
> Neighborhood to see Linux shares?
> I have gone over John Blairs book (Samba Integrating Unix and Windows)
> couple of time... I am missing something very obvious????

I have been running Samba 2.0.5 w RH 6.0 and WIN 98. You should not need to use
any Domain settings. Make sure your PC's are in the same workgroup as listed in
the Global section in SMB.CONF and make sure you are using valid users and
groups to authenticate. As mentioned before Pinging  proves nothing for SAMBA.
Try running the smbclient  //server_name/share_name -U user_name to test your
share from the Linux box.

JS

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Drage)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: connecting to 'net via linux
Date: 7 Sep 1999 01:41:58 GMT

On Sun, 05 Sep 1999 11:10:59 GMT, Tim Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Nick Drage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> doodled in uk.comp.os.linux:
>> Er, wasn't he refering to the third octet, not the fourth?
>>
>> So assign anything from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.254.x, avoid 192.168.0.x
>> because all 0's can cause problems sometimes - AFAIK.
>
>Ah. I should've been clearer that it was the x that should be restricted, not
>the 0 in the 3rd octet.
>
>OTOH I also know of no reason why a network can't have a zero in it - after
>all, that's what the netmask is for, to say 'this is where the network stops
>and hosts begin', more or less. Besides which, I run with a 10.0.0.0/16 subnet
>here (for the hell of it) with no problems at all :)

I always avoided it, but I think that was for superstitious reasons more
than anything sensible.  What I think I'm thinking of is that, er,
"unnatural" subnets ( ??? ) wouldn't work, so while 10.0.0.0/16 is ok,
10.0.0.0/18 isn't.  How wrong am I?

--
Nick Drage, learning SLRN
Email slrn-at-memetics-dot-freeserve-dot-co-dot-uk for work

------------------------------

From: Josh Gentry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cisco routing tutorial
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 17:23:05 +1700

Folks,

I know this is a little off subject, but I thought a lot of
people who are interested in Linux networking might also be
working with Cisco routers.  Basic Cisco router
configuration tutorial at:

http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/topo/cisco.htm

Josh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: pexquisite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux friendly ISPs
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 19:36:39 -0500

I use earthlink. They even have troubleshooting and setup tips for linux
on website.
http://www.earthlink.net

Jonathan

From: pexquisite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba and Sharing a connection between linux and windows 98
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 19:26:26 -0500

Hello,

I am new to linux, I need to have sharing between linux and windows 98.
Can someone give me step by step instructions on how to do this?. Also I
am creating a linux conference on TheCityWeb website, If you have a
website that has good linux tips (other than the commercial ones).
Please send me a list at the email address below.

Also, I am not able to get or send mail from netscape. I have entered
the information in netscape. but get
error that the server is unreachable or is busy. Does anyone have a
solution for this?

Thanks
Jonathan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dallas Premier Online Community..Check us out at www.thecityweb.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Apache Setup
Date: 7 Sep 1999 01:07:15 GMT

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999 18:49:32 -0400, Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>This is what I would ultimately like to setup, it shouldnt be too hard, I
>think I am just running into some permissions issues.  I am using RH6 with
>Apache 1.3.1
>
>1.  Setup UserDir so host.domain.com/~username works.  I have created a
>public_html directory and placed an index.html in the directory, but I
>always get "Forbidden You don't have permission to access /~username on
>this server." as an error.

Check permissions of user's home directory.  RedHat sets that to 700
regardless of umask, so apache will not even be able to find their
public_html.  Try 755.

>2.  Setup a Virtual Domain such as host2.domain.com or
>host.otherdomain.com.  This is simple, I have this working, but I want to
>give a user permission to ftp to upload only to the virtual domain
>directory, but have no other permissions to run amok looking around the
>server.  The virtual domains need to be able to run cgi also.

Have you read 'man ftpd' about how to set up a guest account?  I think it
is just a matter of setting up a different guest account for each of those
users similar the annonymous ftp that limits them to /home/ftp.

Of course on sites where I only have ftp access, I use a CGI webshell to
look around if I need to find something.  I also have CGI's that can find
Perl modules and perldocs for them, and another that can read man pages.
Otherwise it is rather difficult to find programs and troubleshoot CGI
when you have restricted ftp only access.

--
David Efflandt   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.xnet.com/~efflandt/
http://www.de-srv.com/   http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

------------------------------

Date: 06 Sep 99 19:48:36 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pppd and earthlink :-(

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Igor S.;

 IS> Hello. Im trying to make a connection from my linux box to well
 IS> known ISP - Earthlink ;-( But no matter what i tried wont work

 IS> Here is the pppd log. Please look at it . If you have working
 IS> scripts or could help me with this one i will really apreceate
 IS> it.. Thank you very much
 IS> !!!!

 IS> pppd -d -detach defaultroute /dev/ttyS1 57600 &> igor_log

 IS> Using interface ppp0
 IS> Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
 IS> sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0xb25b9af2>
     ^^^^                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You are in all probability never going to negotiate a working connection
if you leave the software without any flow controls.  Your ISP is asking
for a negotiation that at least allows it to use the xon/xoff convention
for flow control, but you have no escape mechanism set up.

As a bare minimum, in the ppp options line that linuxconf will give you
for ppp, enter "asyncmap 0x000a0000" without the quotes.  This should
get you going at least to the next step or problem as the case may be.

Here, I have just found that while the 0x000a0000 setting escapes the
xon (0x11) and xoff (0x13) characters, I get a lot less 'stalls' while
browseing or downloading, if I also escape the 0x1d character by using
0x2000a0000 for that.  This will probably be highly dependant on the
ISP's confuration, and is often something that isn't adequately advised
on, or even recorded by the ISP's techies making it difficult to arrive
at an optimal setting for your ISP.

I haven't looked in recent history, but there may even be some
references to asyncmap settings in the manfile for ppp, type 'man ppp'
in a shell, or possibly man pppd.

[snip]

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip
    Ch. Eng. @ WDTV-5          |A2091,GuruRom,1g Seagate,CDROM,Multiface III
                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

From: Chad Eddings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win98 -> Linux -> Internet
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:32:47 GMT

Ditto for me. Here is link for a good 'all-around' firewall script that
the SIG leader of your local Linux group posted.
(http://linusig.org/files)

Hope this is helpfull...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk)
Subject: Re: NFS server not allowing submounts
Date: 7 Sep 1999 01:07:02 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>       Hi folks,
>       My NFS server will not allow me to view the filesystems i have mounted
>on it.
>
>       I want to back up so I NFS mount / to my backup machine.
>I can view anything on the / filesystem happily, however as soon as i
>try and access something that is another partition on the server it is
>not visible.
>       This is making it damned hard to backup
>
>       I am running 2.2.12 (linux) and Redhat 6.0
>
>       Any ideas?

I think, if you are using the kernel-level NFSD, this is controlled
by a kernel configuration parameter called "CONFIG_NFSD_SUN", described
as "act like a Sun nfsd". But I'm not sure which way it goes; in
one mode it exports a single volume/partition, in the other mode
it exports a whole tree.

------------------------------

From: Chad Eddings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 00:34:17 GMT

Correction on the link.... http://LinuxSIG.org/files

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Configureing Telnet
Date: 7 Sep 1999 01:16:30 GMT

On Sun, 05 Sep 1999 21:41:05 -0400, mango <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I want my Win95 users to Telnet into my Linux box is there any further
>configuring that has to be done other than the installation of linux?

Add names for the remote IP's to /etc/hosts, or logins will be delayed for
DNS timeout (reverse lookup).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Help with modem access network
Date: 7 Sep 1999 01:30:32 GMT

On 3 Sep 1999 23:25:10 GMT, Pomarknitali <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I need help... like in subject. I'm trying to create some sort of ethernet
>network via modem (5-10 users). Well, not real ethernet, of course, but
>something like that. Something like internet providing, only without link
>to WWW.
>Can someone give me some general help about it? Like, what does it take to
>have that kind of network and stuff?
>

>Krastaman

See http://www.xnet.com/~efflandt/linux/dialin.txt
That will give you some place to start.  You need mgetty and make sure
that all programs use the same /dev description (preferably the /dev/ttyS#
and NOT /dev/modem).  That is mgetty, pppd, minicom, etc. should all use
the same /dev/ttyS# so lock files work properly.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Doe)
Subject: Re: Can't login as FTP (I've red the faqs)
Date: 6 Sep 1999 20:58:10 -0500

Have you checked /etc/ftpaccess.  Maybe you have
only anonymous in there.  Do
         man ftpaccess

I use red hat 6.0. Yours maybe different.

On Mon, 06 Sep 1999 14:06:29 GMT, Henry Vermeulen

------------------------------

From: "Ron Z" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuring a 3com USrobotics 56k PCI
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 21:31:08 -0400

Alex,

I have just installed a 3com USR 3CP5610 56k PCI Faxmodem. It looks like you
installed the 5609.

I am relatively new to Linux and had some difficulty but it all came
together today and all of a sudden seems pretty simple. It is not a
Winmodem. To be brief, I first installed the modem through Windows on a
Gateway GP6-450 using the automatic installation. Through Windows>My
Computer>Properties> and so forth, I found that the irq was 10 and the port
was 0x1490-0x1497.

In RH Linux 6.0 I tried "setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 10 port 0x1490
autoconfig".

After running this command and then running "setserial -a  /dev/ttyS1" it
showed that the uart was a 16550A and I was able to dial out and connect to
my ISP. I then put the command at the end of the rc.local file, ie:

"exec setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 10 port 0x1490 autoconfig"

and the modem has been working since then. The command in rc.local sets up
the modem each time Linux starts up so that it is not necessary to do it
manually each time. The quotes are not entered in the commands shown above.
They are just used to identify the command text.

I caused myself a lot of problems along the way, destroying my Windows
device driver directory at one point. When using the setserial command, be
sure to set "irq" and "port" before calling "autoconfig".

I hope this helps.

Ron Z

news:7qv6v0$469$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Michael Starkie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.network,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Maintaining 2 Networks
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 21:37:16 -0400

Well. I finally got it work.  I had to set my default gateway (using linuxconf) to the
gateway of my pppd server.  Then in kppp I check the "use default gateway" toggle.
There is an option for a static gateway. I should be able to type it here instead of
having to set my default gateway to the pppd gateway...but it doesn't work.  I set up
two /etc/resolv.conf files. One for the network through ppp and another for the network
through my ethernet card.  I use the ethernet as the default and then boot the system.
I can ping IP's on the ethernet.  Before starting kppp I bring down eth0, connect to
ppp
using kppp, and I'm on the ppp0 network.  THe next step is to try to bring eth0 up
again
and see if I can use both networks.

Tony Green wrote

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PLEASE HELP ME ftp server problems
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 01:47:16 GMT

I am new to linux, "just wanted to get that out of the way" I recently
installed Mandrake 6.0, everything is great, and am on my way to
kissing Microsoft goodbye. I am having a slight problem with my ftp
server. It says by default if you have a user account you can log on,
but it seems only ftp and anonymous logs on. When I added myself as a
user I added the ftp group to my supplemental groups. I am still
getting an error when I log on invalid username "dont get it" didnt
have this problem with Redhat 5.2. I have read the book and understand
what files are being called on when the server is activated. Anyone
have any Idea's for me. I am lost and would like to get my ftp to work
again.

------------------------------

From: Aaron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: volatile loopback interface
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:27:41 +1000

I'm still under exposed to the workings of ifconfig.  pls let me know if
there's something amiss :

I'm writing some socket game & wanna test using loopback 127.0.0.1 but
found each time I booted up the lo interface is missing.  I've to
manually add it in everytime.  How can I set the lo interface permanent
instead of volatile?

thanx
Aaron