Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 14:41:39 +1000
From: Heywood Jablome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How many Mb is redhat &/or Slackware uncompressed?

How much disk space does redHat or SlackWare require on HDD? I hear it
is 6 CD's, but y so big?
How big do I need to go?

--
Aluminium makes up almost 8% of the earths crust.

------------------------------

From: "grater" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: telnet program for win98
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 23:16:25 -0500

You might try using HyperTerminal (included with Win98).  It might not have
all the functions you need, but it is much better than using windoze
"telnet" app.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Stephan Esterhuizen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Using Win98 Proxy with linux
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 22:33:37 -0600

I did read all of the discussions concerning modem sharing but none
really answered the question asked. Currently I am running Winproxy 1.4
on a win98 box with a modem and access to the internet. What I am doing
now on my Linux Mandrake 5.3 System is to just tell netscape to use a
proxy - but that is limiting in a serious way, I can ONLY access the net
through software that supports proxy's, so if i just want to telnet to a
certain system on the net, that will not work.

So basically what I want to do is to tell linux to use my win98 system
as a gateway? I did tell my linux box that the default gateway should be
my win98 box (192.168.0.2) but when I try to ping an IP-Address on the
net, it doesn't seem to work. (yes, I can ping my win98 box and will get
a nice reply from it)

Any ideas?

Well, I do think that maybe i can get some better gateway/proxy software
running on the other side (win98 box)? Or is there maybe an even better
way to just tell windows to forward all the IP requests from the network
device to the internet?

Guess I have a lot to learn, but how can one learn of one doesn't ask?

Stephan Esterhuizen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: How Do I configure Linux so you can dial-in
Date: 11 Sep 1999 04:38:31 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I have RedHat6.0. and I have being trying to configure my Linux
>so I could dial-in using moderm.  I am not even sure if that is possible.
>Can someone please help.

Certainly possible. To get you started, get mgetty, install it and
configure it. Youprobably want to use AutoPPP so you can use pap or chap
for authentication. Or just use login authentication if you wish.
oHope that gets you started.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,hk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: can't dial up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 05:03:56 GMT

Have you installed ppp during installation - by the way, why don't you
use kppp?

Regards - Peter
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jason Rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Home network, wingate, linux as proxy, etc.
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 04:47:37 GMT

Scott,

I looked at the various HOWTO's, they seem informative, yet
out of date.

One question I have regards being able have a web-server,
which in my particular case must run on Windows NT, and
have it be available externally, and yet have that system
still be hidden behind the firewall.  Do such solutions
exist?

That was why I was thinking that I would need to have
my proxy server be the NT machine.

Jason

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott W. Petersen)
Subject: Re: Tulip cards in production?
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 03:31:49 GMT

Our company always buys kingston when dec made the chip and now intel
makes them.  Works fine with the latest tulip driver.

KNE-100tx is the model I think.

Scott

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 16:31:13 GMT, Magnus Redin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I am seraching for "Tulip" ethernet cards with Intel produced tulip-chip or
>clones that work well and fast with Donald Beckers drivers and are in
>volume production right now.

>                    http://www.searchlinux.com

=========================
Scott W. Petersen - N9SLA
Elgin, IL - USA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Glossifah)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: D-Link NIC
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 04:30:42 GMT

Nearly 934916940 seconds after the Epoch, M O'Neill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Cross posted:
> comp.os.linux.networking
> alt.os.linux
>
> What driver is used with the D-link 10Mbs PCI network card?

Redhat 6.0 detected and configured my D-link during the install. Said it was a Tulip
based card. *shrug* Hope that helps....

Alex Shows
Austin, TX
"Open Source Software - without walls or fences, who need Windows or Gates?"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Users no longer able to telnet in.
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 06:01:11 GMT

I think I've tried just about everything I can to get telnetd to work
again. For several months, no problems encountered with users logging
into my system. Now, they can't get past the login. Anyone know what I
can do? I've removed and reinstalled the telnet-0.10-29.i386.rpm that
was recently released by red hat errata, also went back to the original
telnet-0.10-27.i386.rpm that came with redhat 6.0. In my log, it shows
an error, address already in use. I restart inet, still nothing changes.
Open to suggestions..

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: chris stegmaier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cable Modem woes
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 01:36:18 -0400

One thing to remember is that not all cable modems
are designed to accomodate more than one dhcp address
behind them.

In my case, my provider give me two ip address (static),
yet still set up my windows box to use dhcp.  If you've
attached your cable modem to your hub, you've got to be
sure that 1) your cable modem has an ip address of it's
own in the real world 2) at least one of your boxes inside
the private net has a real world (or that the cable modem
acts as a masquerade-box (as if))

I used my redhat box as the gateway, even though I used it
as a workstation to masquerade the rest of the network.  I've
only got two addresses "allowed" by the cable provider.  In
order to have another box be connected directly to the cable
modem via a hub, you've got to get another ip address from
your provider.

If they're assigning ip addresses dynamically, you may still
encounter a problem based on the design (model) of your cable
modem.

Hope this helped and didn't seem too long,

chris

------------------------------

From: "Steve Cowles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3com 3c905 generating frame errors...
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 05:41:18 GMT

I noticed that when I did an ifconfig on my linux box, that my 3com 3c905 card had
frame
and overrun errors. After some investigating, I determined that these errors only
occurred
when I did an ftp "put" from my NT workstation. When I did an ftp "get" absolutely no
errors were generated. In fact, I repeated the put/get sequence a couple of times with
the
same results. The strange part is I get a faster download speed when doing a "get"
then a
"put" from my NT workstation (see below). The "really" strange part is my NT
workstation's
CPU is pegged a 100% during these ftp transfers while the linux box is barely breaking
sweat, like 7% CPU utilization with an occasional spike to 60%. If I had another 3com
card, I would like to try it in my NT box to see if the CPU utilization would improve,
but
its pretty rare that I ever copy a 103MB file from one system to another on my home
network.

Anyway, I guess my question is...
1) Should I be concerned with these errors?
2) Why would these errors only happen on ftp "put"s? Especially when the "put" speed is
slower then the "get"

I don't notice any problems with my linux box after these ftp transfers. In fact, no
errors are reported in /var/log/messages. But up until I did this particular ftp
transfer,
the 3com card has never generated errors such as this. I get collisions, but then I
run X
Windows across my network using XWin32 on my NT box. Just running some of the screen
savers can generate collisions. Considering the collision rate is less than 5%, I have
never really been concerned about it. But the errors are bugging me!!!

Steve Cowles
SWCowles at gte dot net

===============================
Network Components:
3Com 12 port 100 MB hub, Model SuperStack II, HUB 100

NT Workstation (SP5):
Pentium II 350 with a Intel EtherExpress Pro100B PCI nic card. 82557 based chipset.
Using updated driver from SP5 install.
Can't seem to obtain version of driver from "properties" of adaptor tab. <groan>

Linux box (RH6.0):
Multi-Homed for firewall/intenet access using ADSL.
AMD K6-2 450 with the following NIC's and drivers.

<cut/paste> from dmesg
3c59x.c:v0.99L 5/28/99 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
eth0: 3Com 3c905 Boomerang 100baseTx at 0x6800,  00:60:97:14:71:34, IRQ 10
  8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/MII interface.
  MII transceiver found at address 24, status 782f.
  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
eth1: 3Com 3c900 Boomerang 10baseT at 0x6c00,  00:60:97:xx:xx:xx, IRQ 9
  8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, 10baseT interface.
  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.

====================================
For Reference, this is the ifconfig output before I started my testing on how these
errors
occured.
( I had already done a couple ftp "put"s)

[scowles@voyager download]$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:14:71:34
          inet addr:192.168.9.1  Bcast:192.168.9.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          RX packets:4100345 errors:615 dropped:0 overruns:613 frame:618
          collisions:115083 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x6800

====================================

cut/paste output from ftp "get" from command line on NT box

ftp> get defiant.tar.gz
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for defiant.tar.gz (103873126 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
103873126 bytes received in 38.54 seconds (2695.48 Kbytes/sec)
ftp>

====================================
cut/paste output from ifconfig on linux box after running above (NOTE: no additional
errors)

[scowles@voyager download]$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:14:71:34
          inet addr:192.168.9.1  Bcast:192.168.9.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          RX packets:4147846 errors:615 dropped:0 overruns:613 frame:618
          collisions:140589 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x6800

====================================

cut/paste output from ftp "put" from command line on NT box

ftp> put defiant.tar.gz
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for defiant.tar.gz.
226 Transfer complete.
103873126 bytes sent in 52.09 seconds (1993.92 Kbytes/sec)
ftp>

====================================
cut/paste output from ifconfig on linux box after running above (NOTE: additional
errors)

[scowles@voyager download]$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:14:71:34
          inet addr:192.168.9.1  Bcast:192.168.9.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          RX packets:4232906 errors:984 dropped:0 overruns:982 frame:987
          collisions:141407 txqueuelen:100

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeremy Crabtree)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: 11 Sep 1999 05:44:05 GMT

Glossifah allegedly wrote:
>Nearly 934916940 seconds after the Epoch, M O'Neill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Cross posted:
>> comp.os.linux.networking
>> alt.os.linux
>>
>> What driver is used with the D-link 10Mbs PCI network card?
>>

>Redhat 6.0 detected and configured my D-link during the install. Said it was a Tulip
>based card. *shrug* Hope that helps....

M D-Link DE-528CT PCI NIC (10Mbps) uses the NE2000-PCI driver

--
"Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself
 the difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts

------------------------------

From: "Andrey Smirnov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie DNS/DHCP/Samba  Question
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 23:23:32 -0700

If you are talking about NetBIOS names, than yes, use WINS, but if you want
to resolve Internet names to IP addresses, than you need to look into
setting up DNS.

Good luck!

news:yidC3.1689$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Routing between local subnets
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 05:28:51 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

[...]

>When I attempt to telnet to 172.27.14.1 from
>172.30.91.63, I get the telnet login prompt for my linux box -
>172.30.91.62 (no forwarding) what am I doing wrong?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[...]

Hint, hint :)

You'll need support for IP forwarding.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: "Tim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using Win98 Proxy with linux
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 06:06:10 GMT

Upgrade to Win98 SE and use the built-in internet connection sharing.  It is
a transparent proxy and works great (I have it in use here).  Alternatively,
Use the IP Masquerading features in Linux, instead of Win98, to provide your
internet connectivity to all hosts.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Andrey Smirnov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 23:15:52 -0700

IN order to setup your Linux box as a router you need to enable ip
forwarding.