Linux-Networking Digest #593, Volume #12         Wed, 15 Sep 99 01:13:33 EDT

Contents:
  nfssvc: Address already in use (Sriram Mudulodu)
  Duplex/simplex printing on HP printer (Sriram Mudulodu)
  Device Driver for FEP-4206-EP 10/100 NIC from Unicome and some other questions
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  rexec - connection refused. ("Andrew Robinson")
  IP MASQ / Link lights (Kyle Girard)
  Re: Help with firewall ("TURBO1010")
  Re: RedHat 6 Tulip Network Freezes (Paul J Gans)
  Re: Recommendation for 100Mbps Switched Ethernet hardware (Bryan)
  Re: Problems with second network adaptor / routing (Aris Cruz)
  Linux in private networking (Curious)
  Re: ip chains help, please... (Aris Cruz)
  Re: Cannot access some www-pages (root)
  Re: where can I buy an email alias? (MArneson)
  3 Nights with Samba Sorrow ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  I can't telnet into linux ("CJUNKY")
  Re: NFS Frustrations - mount.d error (root)
  Re: MSCHAP81 ??? (Bill Unruh)
  Windows to Linux WWW  (John McDonald)
  Re: RedHat 6 Tulip Network Freezes (Peter Jun)

From: Sriram Mudulodu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: nfssvc: Address already in use
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:11:53 -0700

Hi,

I have a Redhat 6.0 Linux machine from which I can nfs-mount files.
However, if I stop the nfs services and try to restart it it doesn't work.
The message is shows is :

nfssvc: Address already in use

If I reboot the machine, everthing works fine ... but again if I stop the
nfs services (say if I change /etc/exports) and try to restart, it doesn't
work !

If anyone has an answer, I would greatly appreciate if you could e-mail
me.

Thanks,
Sriram

------------------------------

From: Sriram Mudulodu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Duplex/simplex printing on HP printer
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:18:53 -0700

Hi,

I have a Redhat 6.0 machine and a duplex capable printer attached to it
(it's a HP 4050 laserjet with a duplexor in it). I can print simplex or
duplex to the printer by going to the printer and changing the menu
entries there.

What I would like to do is to be able to print either duplex or simplex
without going to the printer (from the machine) alone. One possible way is
to probably use two printer names for the same printer and use a duplex
driver for one of it .... does anyone know where I can get such a driver ?

Or is there another possibility to do the same ?

I would really appreciate if you could answer these questions. Please cc
your mail to my e-mail address to : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks very much,
Sriram

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Device Driver for FEP-4206-EP 10/100 NIC from Unicome and some other questions
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 02:19:14 GMT

I have a low cost but decent NIC card (10/100 FEP-4206-EP
from Unicom).  It works fine under Win98 and it also has
a driver for Red Hat 5.2 (as far as I can tell).  The
driver comes as a GPL liscenced source and an object
(probably compiled with 486 in mind). My Linux is
Mandrake 6.0, compiled for Pentium.  My questions are:

1. How do I compile the driver source optimized for
Pentium, so it will work nicely with the rest of my
system?

2. Regardles of how it is compiled, how do I make an RPM
out of it, so I could easyly install and upgrade it
(when needed) like the rest of the system?

3. How do I than configure the network portion of Linux
(I skipped that part in the installation time, since my
NIC was not one of the known NICs)?

4. How do I configure the Linux machine to work with the
rest of my network (peer to peer Win9x machines)

Unrelated to these questions:

5. How do I find what is the DEV associated with any of
my devices?

6. In particular, I need to know the DEV of my IDE CD.

7. How do I mount the Linux CD?  What about other CDs?

8. Is there an easy way to work with Iomega ZIP drive or
do I still need to mess with kernel compilation and
configuration?

Thanks
Z. Atlas

--
ZAConsaltants, the Performance Experts

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "Andrew Robinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: rexec - connection refused.
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:13:41 +1000

Hi all

I am getting an intermittent error when using rexec - the host machine comes
back with Connection refused. This only seems to be when I am running
scripts which rexec many time concurrently to the host. I am using rexec to
distribute network reporting. Is there a limit on the amount of concurrent
rexec calls to a host? and if so, can I change the limit?

Andrew

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kyle Girard)
Subject: IP MASQ / Link lights
Date: 15 Sep 1999 02:32:57 GMT

Here's the situation...I have a cable connection and i want to use
a linux box as a router so that the rest of the house can use the net
I think that my first problem is that the link light between the linux box
and an internal computer don't light up....I have check the cards
individually and they all work with the cable modem itself  I have also
switched between a few chunks of cat-5 cable with no avail....
        my second question is does anyone know where I can get a
step-by-step tutorial on how to setup a router on a stock RH6.0
install(with all updates) (I think that i have set it up correctly but I
want to check...I have read the masqhow to and I think that i might need
something more idiot proof..

Help

------------------------------

From: "TURBO1010" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with firewall
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:06:25 -0700

Just one subnet, but since I use the box connected to the DSL line as a
server, running samba, FTP, Apache, I don't want it getting hacked again,
I've gotten hit 2 times, 2nd time I caught it before any real damage was
done.  I printed my scripts, and am ready to start all over, but need to
keep the hackers out.  Right now I have a dual 233 acting as a router, file
print server, the works.  But I want the data safe, yet me be able to
perform remote administration, and upload and download files.

Suggestions are welcome.

------------------------------

From: Paul J Gans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat 6 Tulip Network Freezes
Date: 15 Sep 1999 02:43:38 GMT

Jonathan Urbach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello Paul,
>    Thanks for the input.  I think I've been able to solve the problem by
>disabling power management in the bios. The linux box has been
>accepting connections happily for several hours now.
>    I guess I should say that  the network problem coincided with error
>messages from APM saying that  it was unable to go into the requested
>state. But I had thought the problems were unrelated.

>Thanks everyone for your help.

>Jonathan

Glad you've gotten your problem solved.  There's no power
management on my system though, so it's something else.
I get *no* error messages at all.

      ---- Paul J. Gans  [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Bryan <Bryan@[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Recommendation for 100Mbps Switched Ethernet hardware
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 03:30:53 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking David C. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Ricardo Wagner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: >
: > Depends of
: >
: > - the size of the network you are running
: > - The traffic
: > - the number of servers
: > - your budget
: >
: > Switches come in a variety of specs. I run a mix of HP (cheap and
: > simple..  not very fast, good for small branches) and Bay Networks for
: > heavy traffic... specially for our server room and large
: > headquarters...  flexible...expensive..but monsters.

: Yep.  You can get cheap 4-port unmanaged switches for around $100.

-switches- or dual speed (dual segment) repeated hubs?

cheapest I've seen is the bay unit (something '104' as the model #) for about $165.

if there's truly a 10/100 switch for $100, I'd like to know!

--
Bryan, http://www.Grateful.Net - Linux/Web-based Network Management
->->-> to email me, you must hunt the WUMPUS and kill it.

------------------------------

From: Aris Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems with second network adaptor / routing
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 03:31:19 GMT

A couple of things to check
recompiled kernel?
did you add the cards as modules?  probably
print out of your /etc/conf.modules or /etc/modules.conf?
What happens after the modprobe, any kernel messages?

If you do a "dmesg |more" it will give you the kernel messages, see what
happens, does it successfully load?

Hope this helps

Aris

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Curious <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux in private networking
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 03:31:19 GMT

Hello....

We have a setup of PC and MAC and internet accesss is provided by the ISP
via T1.  While trying to print to a color printer from Windows machine,
the printer takes a long time to print ppt. files with few mega bytes
since the data has to go to ISP and back again before reaching the
printer.   Wondering if any one has setup a private network within small
business with Linux so that users can share color printers without riding
on the internet traffic through ISP.

thanks in advance.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Aris Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ip chains help, please...
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 03:31:19 GMT

ipmasdadm, download its utils and this will take care of forwarding all
www requests to the internal www server.

also rinetd works.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cannot access some www-pages
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:49:19 -0500

root wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a two machines, one running RH60 and the other running w95.
> I connect to an ISP with the linux machine and use
> ip-forwarding/masquerading to access the net from the w95 machine.
> Everything works just fine except for some pages...
>
> I can get to them from the linux machine but not the w95 machine.
> What could the problem be? I have no idea..
>
> And some other pages are not accessible at all..  But I know the
> web-server is working becouse if I use the translation-tool on altavista
> I get the text but the pictures are still missing..
> I guess that could be the web-server blocking certain ip-adresses but
> I'm not sure.
>
> If u have some ideas on these two matters please mail me!
>
> Thanx!
>
> /jef

You are using a dynamic IP and this is causing problems with the
firewalling rules in your ipforwarding, aliasing, etc. I ran into this also
until I got a fixed IP from my ISP.

There is a howto on "Dynamic IP Hacks" that you might want to look at.
There is other stuff out there too which deals in that stuff.

Jeff

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 23:58:27 -0400
From: MArneson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: where can I buy an email alias?

I've used bigfoot for years now and I've had it with them.
sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Checkout email.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 3 Nights with Samba Sorrow
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 03:28:10 GMT

Hi,

I tried to setup SAMBA on my RH6.0 Linux box so that my NT 4.0
workstation can connect to it.

I have both a global and a [homes] section.

NetBIOS name = SANDIEGO
Username = helena

[homes]
Path=/home/%u
Host Allow= 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

[global]
Host Allow= 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

When I try to logon from NT, I try the following path:

\\SANDIEGO\helena

Then I type in helena and the password.  The following errors would
show up: "The account is not authorized to login from this station".

I have been up three nights to set this one up without success, so I
would appreciate all helps.

Thanks.
Helena

------------------------------

From: "CJUNKY" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I can't telnet into linux
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:33:11 -0500

I can't seem to telnet into linux.  It says "invalid login".  I can login at
the machine and ftp and httpd work but telnet doesn't.  I can't even telnet
into the machine at the machine. Anyone have any ideas?  please email me:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I appreciate it.

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.protocols.nfs
Subject: Re: NFS Frustrations - mount.d error
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:34:14 -0500

Paul Cobley wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Any help appreciated as I am getting very frustrated (oh for a linux
> technet)...............
>
> I've got Mandrake 6.0 installed on machine 1.
> I want to get it installed on machine 2 using NFS to the CD Rom in machine
> 1.
> I thought I'd very nearly cracked it yesterday when I checked
> /var/log/messages on m/c1 and saw that m/c2 had tried (unsuccesfully) to
> connect - a permission denied error occured (getfh failed:operation not
> permitted).
> So I set privs in /etc/exports but still no luck.
>
> Now, when I try again tonight I am getting a mount.d error reported during
> boot-up with the following :- "could not open /var/lib/nfs/xtab for
> locking" - I checked and the file doesn't exist !
>
> Where do I go from here ?
>
> TIA.
>
> Paul
>
> Please excuse the multiple-posting but I need an answer before I jack it all
> in & play with my Sega for an easier life.

I get the same kinds of errors here and don't have a clue why. It works fine
using older 2.0.36 version installs but when I moved to 6.0, things are broken.
In mine, it won't connect to the second nfs mount I have established on my
server but the first one mounts... partially. I made a root mount for nfs so
I could do adjustments and stuff via Midnight Commander, and it's utilities.
(makes for easy edits and all).

I can't see /usr, but I can see /bin. I can't see /home, but I can see /tmp and
/var.. Go figure.

My best guess here is some new bugs in this version that were reappearing. I'd
seen this before in an earlier version and a fix was released to address it and
it did. Now it's back and nastier than ever. Maybe someone compiled in old
code???!@!!

Jeff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: MSCHAP81 ???
Date: 15 Sep 1999 04:45:34 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Russ W. Knize" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]I am trying to use pptp to connect to an NT server SP5 via PPTP.  I have
]enabled MSCHAP80 and recompiled pppd, but when I saw the errors
]initally, the NT server was asking for CHAP:81 not 80.  I assume that
]this is related to the RAS bugfix in SP4/5.  I tried changing the chap.h
]to 0x81, hoping it would work.  No dice.

Another followup: http://www.moretonbay.com/vpn/download_pptp.html
contains a patch for ppp 2.3.8 which, it claims, will enable it to do
MSCHAP 81 ( and improve MSCHAP80). I have not tried this so do not know
it it will work. The link to the patch is just above the CVC Server
heading and titled
 PPP-2.3.8 patch.

------------------------------

From: John McDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Windows to Linux WWW
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 00:13:15 -0400

I have 2 machines on a 10-baseT network, a Caldera linux 2.2 machine and
a Win95 machine.  IP addresses are set to 192.168.100.1 and
192.168.100.2, respectively. I can ping either machine from the other,
and I can telnet to the Linux machine.  I can't however connect to the
Linux machine using a web browser.  I had it working once, but made
changes at 3am without documenting them.  I guess I was asleep. . . So
far, I have not set up DNS; my understanding is if I explicitly type an
address (192.168.100.1) into my browser, I don't need to.  Anyway, it
worked once without it. The windoze machine also has a modem and a
dial-up connection that works just fine.
1.How can I tell whether the problem is in the Windows machine or the
Linux machine?
2. Could it be a route problem i.e Netscape doesn't know to look on the
ethernet segmet to find my Linux box?
Any help is appreciated.

From: Peter Jun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 03:41:54 GMT

This sounds like a problem that I was having with the tulip driver.
Type 'dmesg' at the prompt and see if your ethernet card is switching
from 10baseT to 10base2 or v.v.

If it is, pass the option of options=12 to the tulip module.  This will
force it into 10baseT (only if your system is running 10baseT).

Best regards,
Peter