Linux-Networking Digest #584, Volume #12         Tue, 14 Sep 99 07:13:23 EDT

Contents:
  Caldera NetWare Client under SuSe 5.2 (Kernel 2.0.33) (Uwe Krause)
  Re: Setting up a firewall on single machine ("Quiney, Philip (EXCHANGE:HAL02:HM10)")
  how to look at other computers ("Jay Anderson")
  DNS error ("Charles Todd")
  Re: Using RH6 as an internet gateway? (DanH)
  Re: how to look at other computers ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Finding ppp0 IP (dynamic) in a C program ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Group - define a new one (Roland Exler)
  Netscape´s mailboxes from Linux and Windows (Johann)
  Re: pppd remote ip address resolution problems ("Geoff Thornton")
  Re: Finding ppp0 IP (dynamic) in a C program ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Using RH6 as an internet gateway? ("twinson")
  Re: Netscape´s mailboxes from Linux and Windows (Pujol Sylvain)
  Re: Primary and secondary NS (Arash)
  Re: DNS error ("Peter Henriksen")
  Re: Where can I get a 3C900 NIC driver from? ("michael.fengler")
  File Table Overflow ... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Network Setup of linux PC ("Blacka")
  Re: how to look at other computers ("michael.fengler")
  Slow Linux vs DOS lan connections (Tomaz Karcnik)
  Running Debian on Compaq Proliant 3000 & 6500 Servers (Aaron Daniels)
  ftp and masquerading (Martin Stockhammer)
  Re: Recommendation for 100Mbps Switched Ethernet hardware
(starshum#[EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Browsers and Linux (Dylan Thurston)
  Serious Problem, Help me... ("Blacka")

From: Uwe Krause <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Caldera NetWare Client under SuSe 5.2 (Kernel 2.0.33)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 10:22:47 +0200

Hi freaks,
first ... sorry for my english, my russian is better. The client will
not work after installation. The startup scripts is updated.

Please help !

Uwe

------------------------------

From: "Quiney, Philip (EXCHANGE:HAL02:HM10)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting up a firewall on single machine
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:12:45 +0100

Warren Bell wrote:

> I'm running a web server on Mankdrake Linux 6.0. I'm also running telnet
> and ftp. Is there such a thing as a firewall for a single machine?  And
> would it benefit me with the three services I'm running?  I've heard
> IPchains mentioned, is this a firewall?  I have this installed but don't
> know anything about it and any how-too's are a little confusing.
The term 'firewall' comes from the automotive industry - in a car it is
the safety barrier between the engine and the passenger compartment. A
single non networked machine cannot benefit from a firewall as by
definition it is isolated from the outside world. Just running a web
server, telnet, ftp locally does not change this.

Things get more interesting if you connect your machine to the internet
and have a local network - ie your machine has 2 network interfaces.
'ipchains' and its predecessor 'ipfwadm' allow the setting up of rules
governing how packets are routed through your firewall based on which
interface the packet was received on its destination, the source address
etc. Particular hosts can be blocked completely as can particular types
of packet (ie a protocol such as NETBIOS does not get routed to the
internet!)

Have a look at /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade. It may still be
written for ipfwadm but ipchains is allegedly a workalike - sorry I'm
still using kernel 2.0.36

Note: IP Masquerade is implemented with a firewall rule and hides your
local network addresses from the internet. Packets appear to come from
the firewall which uses the 'real' Internet address assigned by your ISP
(either statically or when the connection is made). Hence firewalling is
described in here in simple enough terms to get connected ;-)

Regards

Phil Q

--

Phil Quiney                             Digital PowerLine,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              Nortel Networks,

"This message may contain information proprietary to Northern
Telecom so any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution
of its contents is strictly prohibited."

------------------------------

From: "Jay Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to look at other computers
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 23:05:50 -0700

    I'm a linux newbie, but I have managed to set up my linux machine (with
Suse 6.1) for the network we have here at my school. I'm just wondering how
I go out and look at other computers. They can see me from their Windoze
computers just fine. I even gave them access to a public dir, but I dont
know how to go out and look at them. Thanx!

=====Jay

------------------------------

From: "Charles Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DNS error
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 01:50:52 -0700

I am running RedHat 5.2 as a primary dns server and I get this error when i
type nslookup

Can't find server name for address 10.0.0.50: server failed
Default servers are not available

I have no doubt that this is something hella stupid so bitch slap me... and
tell me what i am doing wrong.

Thanks

Charles

------------------------------

From: DanH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Using RH6 as an internet gateway?
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 04:38:53 -0400

Doc wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We have a permanent net connection (56k) into the office, currently running
> NT server. What I would like to do is have the all the internet services to
> run off a seperate linux box. I have a 'plain' machine, installed with RH6
> and all the server software, but what actual configuration would I need to
> perform to get the clients (win95) to see this machine and share its net
> connection? I am a serious linux newbie, but can see much advantage over
> running NT4 as the net server.

I would say that almost all of us with more than one computer at home do
exactly what you're asking about.  My suggestion is to uninstall all the
packages that you're not going to use from the Linux box and have it
basically an OS with ipchains.  Fewer holes for security that way.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade.html

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal virgins anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: how to look at other computers
Date: 14 Sep 1999 08:57:09 GMT

Have a look at smbclient(1) and smbmount(8).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Finding ppp0 IP (dynamic) in a C program
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:00:08 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  James Andrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm not entierly sure what you are intending to do, but if you post
your
> shell script that does it, I'm sure I could tell you how to in C/C++,
>
> James
>
> PS:
>  tried getenv("HOSTNAME");
>  once connected?

The below code will work for SunOS/Solaris . On Linux you might have to
alter the hdr. files

#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <sys/ioctl.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <sys/sockio.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <net/if.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <stropts.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <errno.h>

#define exit(x)  if(errno) perror(x);\
                 exit(1)

ifioctl(s, cmd, arg)
  char           *arg;
{
  struct strioctl ioc;

  ioc.ic_cmd = cmd;
  ioc.ic_timout = 0;
  ioc.ic_len = sizeof(struct ifreq);
 ioc.ic_dp = arg;
  return (ioctl(s, I_STR, (char *) &ioc));
}

int main()
{
 int fd;
 struct ifreq  sockreq;
 struct sockaddr_in *sin;

 strcpy(sockreq.ifr_name,"hme0");

 /* For sending STREAMS request */

 if( (fd = open("/dev/ppp0",O_RDONLY)) < 0 ) { exit("open") ; }
 if( ifioctl(fd,SIOCGIFADDR,&sockreq) < 0) { exit("ifioctl"); }

 sin = (struct sockaddr_in *) & sockreq.ifr_addr;
 printf("\tinet addr :  %s \n", inet_ntoa(sin->sin_addr));

}

For a  socket based descriptor , you can issue an ioctl() directly .

Hope that helps ...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:05:22 +0200
From: Roland Exler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Group - define a new one

Mitch Appleby wrote:

> This has to be simple, but I can't seem to find a reference to creating a
> group.  I just need to define a group and put users in it.  Can someone
> point me to what command I should be using?

just edit /etc/group with any editor you prefer, add a new group ID and add
the users to this group either by changing their primary group id in
/etc/passwd to this id or adding the users to this group. If you set the users
primary group id, all files created by the users will have this id ad default.
If just adding the users to the group, they get the right to access the files
from this group.

If you have a GUI like KDE running, there is also a User Manager in it, which
lets you edit the files with a simple to use GUI.

Hope this helps,
  Roland

--
Roland Exler                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institute of Measurement Technology    http://Sensor200.emt.uni-linz.ac.at

------------------------------

From: Johann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Netscape´s mailboxes from Linux and Windows
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:01:12 +0200

Hi,

Can You think of possibilities to share Netscape´s mailboxes from
Windows and Linux ? I found the general problem is that Linux users
cannot write to a Windows partition (only root can). The mailboxes have
to be located on the Windows partition, because else, Windows can´t see
them.

Thanks, Johann

--
Johann Maas
www.hoexter.netsurf.de/homepages/john.m/linux/masq

------------------------------

From: "Geoff Thornton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pppd remote ip address resolution problems
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 19:17:56 +1000

To those that offered their help Thanks!
The problem has been solved! After much hair pulling I decided that there
can be nothing wrong with my machine, so I tried connecting to my ISP using
a different server, (cost me a long distance phone call) and my connection
worked. I contacted my ISP about the local server, and guess what, they
can't connect to it using Linux either, so someones played with it and
mucked up the configuration, they are fixing it now. (Just my luck they
fiddled with it when I was upgrading my Linux, Arghhhh!!!) It's got me
buggered why windoze machines dont have a problem with it though.

Snip
> Can any one help? after upgrading to redhat 6, I found I can no longer
> connect to my ISP (it used to work fine), I basically get the message
"could
> not determine remote ip address
Snip

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:05:55 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  James Andrews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm not entierly sure what you are intending to do, but if you post
your
> shell script that does it, I'm sure I could tell you how to in C/C++,
>
> James
>
> PS:
>  tried getenv("HOSTNAME");
>  once connected?

OOPS , I made a mistake ...

You will have to change "hme0" to "ppp0" and open "/dev/udp" (or /dev/ip
, if you have the privilege )  instead of opening /dev/ppp0 .

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "twinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:58:01 +0800

Your 56K line will satisfy just about 5 - 10 persons surfing the internet
simultaneously. IP masquerading will be what you need. Its configuration is
rather simple and easy. But are you sure you want a bulky PC box to act as a
gateway?

Personally, I would prefer to use an 'internet sharing hub' (numerous now in
the market) or the  'Internet Station' as sold by Intel. It is neater to
have this tiny little box than a PC box, if the purpose is to browse web
pages and read emails only from within a small LAN.

------------------------------

From: Pujol Sylvain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape´s mailboxes from Linux and Windows
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:24:24 +0200

Johann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can You think of possibilities to share Netscape´s mailboxes from
> Windows and Linux ? I found the general problem is that Linux users
> cannot write to a Windows partition (only root can). The mailboxes have
> to be located on the Windows partition, because else, Windows can´t see
> them.
>
> Thanks, Johann
>
> --
> Johann Maas
> www.hoexter.netsurf.de/homepages/john.m/linux/masq
> The feature you'd like to have is probably already installed on your
> Linux system.

Hi,

You'd better not mix the two netscapes. I believe the encoding of mail
files is not the same. Check if you can use windows mail files on linux...

Regards Hyu

--
MZ

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arash)
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains
Subject: Re: Primary and secondary NS
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:25:10 GMT

Hello

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:43:28 GMT, Barry Margolin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Arash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>      i am trying to set up a primary and secondary name server.
>>My linux box should be the primary and i asked a friend of mine to do
>>the seondary name server. I haven't registered my domain yet.
>>
>>My linux server is also a firewall useing ipfwadm and it seems to work
>>when i test it by nslookup. But nslookup cant resolve internet names,
>>although i use my ISP's NS as "forwarders".
>>A funny thing is that whenever i start nslookup my linux contacts all
>>roots servers (eg. C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET etc).
>
>Do you have "forward first" or "forward only"?  If you have "forward
>first", and it can't contact your ISP's NS, it will then try the root
>servers.
I have nothing like that, i have a single forwarders line with my
ISP'S NS.
But why should'nt my NS be unable to contact my ISP's NS? My linux box
needs and has a name server, doesn't it?

>>When i use nslookup on some other server and try to change to my
>>server, which works fine, and try to resolve my name it doesnt work,
>>and my firewall log files dont show any entries.
>
>The fact that changing to your server works fine means nothing, since it
>doesn't actually send anything to the server until you actually try to
>resolve a name.

It is that way, but i cant see any reaction on my linux when i try to
resolve names either.
>>The other problem is that the secondary server doesnt work. I watched
>>it once creating my zone file with size 0 and deleting it later.
>>
>>Is my firewall to restrictive? I accept port 53 udp and tcp in both
>>directions. Why doenst the log file show anything?
>
>It sounds like your firewall, or maybe your ISP's router, is blocking the
>DNS packets.

Is that possible? How can they block my DNS packtes and allow my DNS
requests? I mean, my internet connections works just fine. Doesn't DNS
use udp port 53?

Thanx for your help,
Arash :-)

------------------------------

From: "Peter Henriksen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DNS error
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:26:29 +0200

Hi Charles

I had the same problem, luckily some bright fellows had an article in last
issue of Linux Gazette (www.linuxgazette.com) about setting up DNS - very
nice reading...

Also you could try looking in comp.os.protocols.dns.bind, I have seen lots
of people asking (and answering) there...

The explanation is that you don't have a reverse DNS defined, DNS will
(probably) work anyway... I don't know the deep technical issues of this yet
... but I did manage to set it up myself :-)

Regards
Peter

From: "michael.fengler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where can I get a 3C900 NIC driver from?
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:45:12 +0200

On Tue, 14 Sep 1999, JW wrote:

>When I installed Mandrake 6.0 on my computer, I skipped the installation of
>my network card. Now I want to install it. Windows tells me that it is a
>"3Com EtherLink XL COMBO 10Mb Ethernet NIC (3C900-COMBO)". After reading the
>ethernet HOWTO, it seems like I have to recompile my kernel, and add the NIC
>(as a module?). But I noticed that there is not an ethernet module in the
>/lib directory called 3C900, or 3C905. Where can I download this driver
>from? I tried the place listed in the HOWTO, but I got a permission denied
>error. Is the 900 the same as the 905?

No need to download a driver (I don't use Mandrake, but that shouldn't
matter). As root goto /usr/src/linux and 'make menuconfig'. Under
'Networking options' select (at least) 'TCP/IP networking'. Under
'Network device support' select 'Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)', then '3COM
cards' and finally '3c590/3c900 series'. Finish menuconfig.

Read /usr/src/linux/README.

'make dep', 'make zImage', copy /usr/src/linux/System.map and
/usr/src/linux/arch/<probably i386>/boot/zImage to /boot, edit
/etc/lilo.conf, run lilo, reboot and be happy :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux
Subject: File Table Overflow ...
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:52:37 GMT

Hi,

I'm doing batch PPP connections to a Linux server in order to perform
file transfers.
Sometime, the upload fails returning the message "File Table Overflow
..." ! But the same upload (same file, same server, same location)
performed few seconds after is successfull !

Does anybody have an idea of the problem, and perhaps know a solution ?
Please answer at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks

FX

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "Blacka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Network Setup of linux PC
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 03:05:27 -0700

Hi, I currently have a windows 98 machine, and a pent 90 with DOS. I was
wondering if it was possible to install linux on the DOS computer through a
network. Does the network have to be set up first? The hub and all the other
stuff are set up, but stuff like samba are not in place since linux isnt
installed yet.

My question : How do I install linux on a pentium 90 computer which has no
modem, and no cd-rom, it only has a network card. Please help me.

Orrin Jolly

------------------------------

From: "michael.fengler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:26:46 +0200

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Jay Anderson wrote:

>    I'm a linux newbie, but I have managed to set up my linux machine (with
>Suse 6.1) for the network we have here at my school. I'm just wondering how
>I go out and look at other computers. They can see me from their Windoze
>computers just fine. I even gave them access to a public dir, but I dont
>know how to go out and look at them. Thanx!

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, anyway my $0.02...

$ nmblookup DOMSAMBA
Sending queries to 10.42.42.255
10.42.42.43 DOMSAMBA<00>
10.42.42.107 DOMSAMBA<00>
$ smbclient -L 10.42.42.43
Added interface ip=10.42.42.107 bcast=10.42.42.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Domain=[DOMSAMBA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.5]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        optiplixCD     Disk      CD Laufwerk auf optiplix
        ftp            Disk      anonymous ftp
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (lxclient)

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        OPTIPLIX             lxclient
        TUNIX                Domina - NT

$ smbclient -L 10.42.42.107
Added interface ip=10.42.42.107 bcast=10.42.42.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Domain=[DOMSAMBA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.5]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        tunixCD        Disk      CD Laufwerk auf tunix
        ftp            Disk      anonymous ftp
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Domina - NT)

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        OPTIPLIX             lxclient
        TUMIRNIX             tu mir nix
        TUNIX                Domina - NT
        VERATNIX             Who needs NT?

------------------------------

From: Tomaz Karcnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Slow Linux vs DOS lan connections
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:55:02 +0200

I have experienced a weird problem while upgrading our local network
server.
Our Linux server was upgraded from kernel 2.0.x to 2.2.x resulting in
severe drop
DOS to Linux connectivity performance. (Win9x and NT are still OK)

Samba is now after full tuning acheiving  30KB/s compared to the former
400Kb/s.
The same is FTP: 10Kb/s now vs 600Kb/s before upgrade.  Telnet is OK.

Due to it I suspect that the problem is somewhere in changed 2.2 TCP
stack, because FTP is also affected.
The older 2.0.x kernels had a so called PCTCP compatibility flag in
config files, but it is now abadoned.

The DOS part of the network is 10Mbit, DOS clients are FTP PC/TCP;
server is based on RH5.2, but fully upgraded for  2.2x.

Is there a solution to this problem?

------------------------------

From: Aaron Daniels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Running Debian on Compaq Proliant 3000 & 6500 Servers
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:15:01 +0000

Hi,

I have recently purchased some Compaq 3000 & 6500 Servers and am in the process of
putting
Debian Linux on each of them.
The base system installs fine and all seems to be working, until I try and install the
ethernet
card. The Compaq comes with a Tlan dual 10/100 ethernet adapter which is fine and and
half
recent kernel has a module for it, but my problem is that it tries to put it on IRQ 15
where the
SCSI card is already sitting.

Does anyone know why this is doing this and how to fix it?

Also is there any way to control the LCD screen on the front of the Server and/or the
server
utilities such as pre empting a hard disk failure and those kind of things.

Thanks,
Aaron

------------------------------

From: Martin Stockhammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ftp and masquerading
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 12:05:17 +0200

Hi,

I have a problem with ftp. I have a linux router for the local net.
The router does masquerade and uses ipchains for firewalling.

Now I want to ftp from my Windows-Client to the webserver.
Getting files is no problem, but if I want to put files to the server.
The ftp-client says the file is sent, but then hangs.
And on the webserver there is a file with size 0.

If I put the file from the router with ncftp there is no problem.

Does anyone know whats the problem?

Thanks
Martin
--
---

Martin Stockhammer
Visual Analysis GmbH
http://www.visualanalysis.com
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: starshum#[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking
Subject: Re: Recommendation for 100Mbps Switched Ethernet hardware
Date: 14 Sep 1999 09:39:13 GMT

In comp.os.linux.networking sys8841 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Specifically, I need recommendations on a switches that I can use to
> setup a 100Mbps Switched Ethernet hardware.

  Try 3Com SuperStack III 3300 series.

--

Stephen Shum

------------------------------

From: Dylan Thurston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Browsers and Linux
Date: 14 Sep 1999 03:36:14 -0700

John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Why would anyone in his right mind read news with a Web browser?  I use
> gnus, myself.

While I also use gnus, and wouldn't consider reading news with
netscape...  Does it really make all that much more sense to read news
with a text editor rather than a Web browser?

Regards,
        Dylan Thurston

From: "Blacka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Serious Problem, Help me...
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 03:45:35 -0700

Ok, I have a Pent 90 with an ISA bus. It has 2 PCI slots. Is it possible to
connect a 32-bit PCI card to this computer since it has an ISA bus type? The
network card said PCI bus type, its the netgear FA310Tx.

Thanks