Hi again,

I've copied the whole filesystem elsewhere (to a file) with `ddrescue'. It
found
one damaged area on the drive, but apparently neither at start nor at the end
of partition.

The FS on the drive was marked as `dirty' (requiring recovery upon mount). My
guess is that kernel attempted recovery, and gave up upon read error.

Unfortunately, the `norecovery' option did not help with the drive; it only
helped once i've moved whole FS to file.

Log from ddrescue:

# Rescue Logfile. Created by GNU ddrescue version 1.14
# Command line: ddrescue /dev/sdc3 sda3 sda3.log
# current_pos  current_status
0x149E0CCC00     +
#      pos        size  status
0x00000000  0x149E0CC000  +
0x149E0CC000  0x00001000  -
0x149E0CD000  0x11220D3000  +

my understanding is, the following line describes the damaged area, format:
start length status-marker (`-' for error)
0x149E0CC000  0x00001000  -

Once the FS was copied to a file, it mounted correctly:
# mount -o ro,loop,norecovery ./sda3.img ./some-mountpoint

My gripe with current (linux-3.5.0) NILFS2 driver is that I couldn't tell it
to ignore read errors and thus force it to mount the filesystem. Ony after I've
moved some 160GB of FS to a file (that's a bit tedious :P) it opened the FS
just fine.

Cheers,
--
dexen deVries

1972 - Dennis Ritchie invents a powerful gun that shoots both forward and
backward simultaneously. Not satisfied with the number of deaths and permanent
maimings from that invention he invents C and Unix.