Hi Vyacheslav,

On Tuesday 24 of July 2012 10:26:37 you wrote:
> I am afraid that it is not so good from the end user point of view.
>
> First of all, the message "mount: /dev/sda3: can't read superblock" can
> confuse user. The reason is bad sectors inside the volume but user is
> informed about impossibility to read superblock.
>
> Secondly, it is possible situation when it really needs to use a volume
> in the case of presence of bad sectors. And I think that users can
> expect such NILFS behavior because of declared reliability.
>
> Unfortunately, as I can understand, NILFS hasn't bad blocks table and
> can't process situation of bad blocks presence on volume correctly. It
> means that NILFS interprets bad blocks as exceptional case. But from my
> point of view, it makes sense to interpret bad blocks as usual thing and
> try to work in the presence of ones. For example, fsck potentially can
> check NILFS volume on bad blocks presence, construct bad blocks table
> and save it on the volume.
>
> I suggest to add "virtual" special file for bad blocks description. It
> can be described by inode in ifile and all bad blocks can be described
> in DAT file as parts of this "virtual" special file. So, as a result,
> NILFS file system driver will have bad blocks table which can be a basis
> for excluding bad blocks from operation and trying to survive in the not
> good device environment.
>
> What do you think about such idea?

I believe bad sectors to be thing of the past mostly; any decent harddrive
(probably also any decent SSD) should re-map them after some re-reads. Some
data & meta-data loss is possible, but overall the FS should be accessible
again.
I have no idea why my particular HDD did not re-map; perhaps it just takes
much longer than I gave it.

As a point of reference, XFS does not do bad block management either; however,
the partition driver of IRIX does bad sector management -- so it is
implemented one layer below the FS.

I guess it /may be/ possible to use Linux' `dm' driver in such manner.

Cheers,
--
dexen deVries

"all dichotomies are either true or false" is a true paradox because it's
paradoxical only if it is a paradox ;)