Why mess with the OS at all.

You could use scripted racadm commands.
http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/
archive/2013/04/17/idrac7-now-supports-updating-server-
components-using-racadm-and-web-gui

That outline is a little old and references 12Gen but gets you in the
ballpark.

This avoids the DSU catalog issue as you manually download the file you
want to use for the upgrade and reference it directly.

James - Are all your 1500 servers the same Gen? Same Model? Are your DRACs
up to date? Do your DRACs have a public SSH key from a central management
server uploaded to one of the DRAC accounts? It makes scripted automation
much easier.

Cameron Smith
Technical Operations Manager
Network Redux, LLC