Thanks RS & Florian for your suggestions.

I intend to use Catalog.xml file as my primary tool to approve updates that
are applied by iDRAC or dsu. I plan to download this Catalog.xml and
publish via ftp/http internally and do a phased roll-out. Say dev servers
get first.I understand the firmware behaves differently even on same model
at different times but that's a risk we are willing to take.

Couple of more questions:

Q1) Does anyone here use iDrac or dsu based updates? Do you mirror the
upstream repo locally and point to it somehow? Please respond to this list
or directly so we can talk further.

Q2) Any other strategies for updating large(3000+) servers that is OS
agnostic? I am keeping OME as last option.

Thanks all