On Monday July 3, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello,
> the following patch aims at solving an issue that is confusing a lot of
> users.
> when using udev, device files are created only when devices are
> registered with the kernel, and md devices are registered only when
> started.
> mdadm needs the device file _before_ starting the array.
> so when using udev you must add --auto=yes to the mdadm commandline or
> to the ARRAY line in mdadm.conf
>
> following patch makes auto=yes the default when using udev

The principle I'm reasonably happy with, though you can now make this
the default with a line like

  CREATE auto=yes
in mdadm.conf.

However....

> +
> +     /* if we are using udev and auto is not set, mdadm will almost
> +      * certainly fail, so we force it here.
> +      */
> +     if (autof == 0 && access("/dev/.udevdb",F_OK) == 0)
> +             autof=2;
> +

I'm worried that this test is not very robust.
On my Debian/unstable system running used, there is no
 /dev/.udevdb
though there is a
 /dev/.udev/db

I guess I could test for both, but then udev might change
again.... I'd really like a more robust check.

Maybe I could test if /dev was a mount point?

Any other ideas?

NeilBrown